Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
My board (Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi) also has a ton of options that I haven't figured out just yet. All the guides I'm seeing are recommending constant vcore/disabling power options, etc., but not doing a great job explaining the more esoteric settings.

I ended up settling on 4.8 all cores on my 9700k for now since I can run it at 1.2v DVID. It could probably go lower than that, but the minimum vcore at a -.070v offset drops down to .600v at idle and I'm not sure what the lower limits are for the chip. XMP for the 2x16GB 3200mhz Corsair sticks took VCCSA and VCCIO to 1.3v which seemed really high, so I dropped both of them down to 1.2V. I don't know if there are any benefits of running them lower than that but memtest86+ ran all day yesterday without errors.

Temperatures under a HR-02 do not go above 70C during normal use, but max/very high IntelBurnTest and OCCT small data sets will push some of the cores >95C. Is that normal? At 1.2v I'd expect it to be lower but it may be some LLC setting doing this, although HWiNFO does report CPU power at 190w+ so maybe that's to be expected. I have it at 'normal' LLC but I'm not clear on what the differences are between normal, low, and standard. Realbench tests max out at about 60C per core. The massive heat increases are a little disturbing after being on a cool-running overclocked 2600k for years. If it's just going to run hot in stress tests it might be just hitting the limits of this cooler (it was designed to passively cool socket 1366 chips), and I'll just deal with it as it's nearly silent and normal use doesn't go above 72C for any core.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What are we saying is the max vcore and temp for the 9900k? 1.3v and 105C under stress testing or so?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Intel allows increased rated tjmax to 115C, but tjunction is still 100C so it seems prudent to try and stay below it if it all possible. With water-cooling I've read that up to 1.4v is relatively safe (though increasingly hot the closer you get), but with my 9700K on air I'm finding that staying below 1.3v whenever possible is the only way to keep stress-test temperatures somewhat sane.

Edit: 4.9ghz on this CPU actually runs IBT cooler than 4.8ghz at the same DVID, despite using more power. I'm not sure how that happens, but I'm just going to blame Gigabyte's confusing LLC tiers. 5ghz didn't like this vcore at all so I think I'll just work on lowering DVID for 4.8 some more. An extra 100mhz isn't worth the possible instability.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 13, 2018

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I built a mini-ITX PC recently and could do with some advice on the CPU settings. I've posted about it in other threads so apologies if this is familiar.

It's a Dan-A4 so a pretty small case and I was concerned about cooling when getting the parts so it's an 8700 non-K in an Asrock Z370 motherboard. Cooler is a Cryorig C7 so pretty underpowered. I installed everything and once I had worked out how to adjust the fan curves it's all pretty peachy. I want to optimise the voltage and power have no real idea what I am doing with over(under)clocking. Use case playing some games and shitposting.

Should I use the BIOS settings or is Intel XTU OK? the program is easier to use! Would XTU override the settings in the BIOS if both are applied?
I applied an offset undervolt in the BIOS which I couldn't push much further than -0.70V, -0.80 seemed OK on Prime95 but caused some hangs exiting programs, weirdly. -0.70 seems a bit feeble but I have no frame of reference.
What should I do about LLC? AVX?
The RAM voltage is automatically set to 1.25V but the sticks themselves are 1.20V, is it OK to change that?

As I said I was concerned about temps when buying parts, I bought a delid tool which I just used, stuck on some liquid metal instead of the shitload of TIM in there. It wasn't that stressful and CPU temperatures are now nice ald low. 35-36C at idle and 60-62C across all the cores playing Hitman just now. In XTU it looks like I can change the power settings, should I do that?

Sorry this is probably heresy in the OC thread.

e: realised I had the sides off and the temps are a bit higher than I first said :-|

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 18, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

Should I use the BIOS settings or is Intel XTU OK? the program is easier to use!

Either is fine. You could get it dialed in in xtu, then use the same settings in the bios, then they'd persist across reinstalls without any faff.

Would XTU override the settings in the BIOS if both are applied?

yes

I applied an offset undervolt in the BIOS which I couldn't push much further than -0.70V, -0.80 seemed OK on Prime95 but caused some hangs exiting programs, weirdly. -0.70 seems a bit feeble but I have no frame of reference. 

What should I do about LLC?

I always set it to the middle settings, then when the vcore is as low as possible and it's stable, knock down the LLC a notch and retest.

AVX? 
leave it stock if it's stable.

The RAM voltage is automatically set to 1.25V but the sticks themselves are 1.20V, is it OK to change that?

yes

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently put together a Ryzen 5 2600 + this set 16 GB 3200 RAM in an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard. Is the OP and its links enough to get me started on basic overclocking? I already turned on the A-XMP profile that sets the RAM's speed at 3200, for what that's worth.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So current 9900k overclock with Gigabyte Aorus Ultra and H115i Pro (280mm AIO) is 5GHz all core with a Vcore of 1.310v. It's actually stable outside of prime95 at 1.275v but the temps are so low still at 1.310v I'd rather have the fully stable experience.

I tried 5.1GHz with a vcore up to 1.35 and wasn't getting stable in prime95 with temps of around 95C. Guess I'll be the 5GHz boy for now.

hooah posted:

I recently put together a Ryzen 5 2600 + this set 16 GB 3200 RAM in an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard. Is the OP and its links enough to get me started on basic overclocking? I already turned on the A-XMP profile that sets the RAM's speed at 3200, for what that's worth.

I'm not a Ryzen guy but just find the max Vcore you should be setting, start under that and start increasing frequency while testing with software like prime95 or similar. When you crash, increase vcore in small increments until you're stable. Use software like hwinfo64 to make sure your temps are below whatever limit people recommend for your CPU and to monitor the actual vcore. Search the normal LLC setting for your board (how much the voltage is allowed to drop between what the CPU is requesting (VID) and the actual voltage it's getting (Vcore) under load.

Youtube must have a thousand videos for overclocking your CPU and you should be able to find one where the person is using the same brand of mobo, or the exact same mobo if you're lucky so you can see what they're doing in the BIOS. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I recently bought a 2700x and have been playing with it a bit. Right now I'm running performance enhancer level 4 from my BIOS settings with a voltage offset of -0.075. I had been running a -0.050 but bumped it a bit today as I wasn't a fan of the voltages and temps I was getting. Everything is stable and running fine but I've noticed that after gaming my idle temps are quite a bit higher than they were before. I was averaging about 30 degrees prior and now it's just hanging around 36 degrees with the temps fluctuating a lot more than they were before as well. The average is slowly dropping but the current minimum temp is about the same as the previous idle average. Any ideas on what's causing that?

I'm having a lot of fun playing around with stuff. I'm going to give PE level 3 with some BCLK adjustments a go next to see what I can get with that. I'm getting a solid 4.25 GHz all core under load with the level 4 settings and I want to see if I can get close with the level 3 adjustments.

e: I think it might have just been ambient temps. My fireplace running all day warms the house up a bit...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 20, 2018

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Fairly new to overclocking, just got an 8700k with an h115i pro. I've put it to 4.5ghz to start with at 1.28v. Running the prime95 blend test for an hour so far and the highest temp I'm getting is 85c, is that pretty high for that particular AIO with that voltage? I feel like it should be lower but I don't know exactly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Fairly new to overclocking, just got an 8700k with an h115i pro. I've put it to 4.5ghz to start with at 1.28v. Running the prime95 blend test for an hour so far and the highest temp I'm getting is 85c, is that pretty high for that particular AIO with that voltage? I feel like it should be lower but I don't know exactly.

That temp seems reasonable for prime95 for an hour. I think you want the Small FFT test to actually test for stability, the blend test is a lot of RAM testing in addition to some CPU testing.

FWIW I get around 95-100c with that same cooler running at 100% on a 9900k @ 1.34v with small fft for an hour. P95 shits on chips but it's a good stability tester.

e: On that topic how are people's 9900k OCs going? I've been seeking 100% stability at 5GHz all core which it looks like is going to require 1.34v which is a touch higher than I was hoping but in normal workloads or prolonged game sessions it never gets above 70c and is stable indefinitely in every stresstesting application. I did try 5.1GHz with an AVX offset down to 4.9GHz and was crashing in cinebench runs even at 1.35v.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

That temp seems reasonable for prime95 for an hour. I think you want the Small FFT test to actually test for stability, the blend test is a lot of RAM testing in addition to some CPU testing.

FWIW I get around 95-100c with that same cooler running at 100% on a 9900k @ 1.34v with small fft for an hour. P95 shits on chips but it's a good stability tester.

I played a few hours of BFV yesterday afterwards and saw the max temp as 89 which to me seems a little much, I might reapply the thermal paste as when I installed it, I did have to remount it which may have caused some air bubbles. I'll probably play around with the fan curves too, and possibly after that try and reduce the voltage slightly just to see if that helps.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 23, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Did you remove the thermal paste that was preapplied to the h115? I'd clean both surfaces off with rubbing alcohol then use Kryonaut for paste. 89C is more than I'd want for a few hours of gaming. It's also probably what most intel chips run at for years with stock intel coolers.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Nah I left the pre applied paste on there, so I will definitely strip that off and apply some other stuff. Will give Kryonaut a try, thanks for the suggestion!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hopefully someone carries it where you live. I had to order it from Newegg here in Canada.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kryonaut was on sale on Newegg.ca a couple days ago. From what I remember it was a vendor in Canada for $19.99cad

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I got it at that price but had to wait for shipping. Sorta surprised the places that stock the high end stuff aren't vendors.

FWIW the stock paste on the h115i seemed pretty good/equivalent to artic silver to me on my 4790k when I was using that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I found it on UK Amazon so it's all good. The stock paste might be good but I took the cooler off the processor after first putting it on because I put the radiator on the wrong way initially, then put it back on without reapplying the paste so it might not be evenly distributed any more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Aphex- posted:

Aphex- posted:

I played a few hours of BFV yesterday afterwards and saw the max temp as 89 which to me seems a little much, I might reapply the thermal paste as when I installed it, I did have to remount it which may have caused some air bubbles. I'll probably play around with the fan curves too, and possibly after that try and reduce the voltage slightly just to see if that helps.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm also running a 8700k and those temps seem high. 4.5ghz is a pretty modest OC. You'd be able to drop 15-20c by delidding. When applying the new paste, use a pea sized glop or the line method and let the paste smoosh across the chip, no air that way.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Will do! Tempted to delid if everything else I try doesn't bring down the temps. I'll give an update once I've done some tinkering. Thanks all for the advice!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any good guides around for overclocking an i5-9600k? I just built a new system the other day and I’m keen to get this thing as close to 5 GHz as possible.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Red_Fred posted:

Any good guides around for overclocking an i5-9600k? I just built a new system the other day and I’m keen to get this thing as close to 5 GHz as possible.

It's hard to screw it up. Set voltage at 1.3v to start or use voltage offset (I wouldn't use auto). Lock frequency on all cores and start at like 4.7 or 4.8 and stress test non avx to watch temps and stability. Go up from there. If you crash increase voltage. 9600k should be totally safe for a casual overclock to 1.4 but for everyday use I'd probably try to keep it around 1.35 or so, it'll depend on your cooling and use and such.

AVX tests are hard stress, and not a realistic load (you'll use avx instructions but not even close to at the levels a stress test will do). I'd say do an AVX test but don't overreact to heat levels.

You won't break it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lockback posted:

It's hard to screw it up. Set voltage at 1.3v to start or use voltage offset (I wouldn't use auto). Lock frequency on all cores and start at like 4.7 or 4.8 and stress test non avx to watch temps and stability. Go up from there. If you crash increase voltage. 9600k should be totally safe for a casual overclock to 1.4 but for everyday use I'd probably try to keep it around 1.35 or so, it'll depend on your cooling and use and such.

AVX tests are hard stress, and not a realistic load (you'll use avx instructions but not even close to at the levels a stress test will do). I'd say do an AVX test but don't overreact to heat levels.

You won't break it.

Thanks. What are the best stress testing apps these days?

eames
May 9, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks. What are the best stress testing apps these days?

I can recommend Asus Realbench. It is good at finding errors without producing completely unrealistic power consumption numbers and stresses many subsystems (CPU, multiple GPUs, memory, storage) at the same time which is great for finding cooling issues.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Trying to undervolt a AMD2600 with a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mainboard. I just can't seem to find the off-set option. Am I overlooking it, or does MSI really not provide it with the mentioned board? Could somebody please confirm? That would be great! Not going to fiddle around with p-states though. Not sure if 100 MV is worth it anyways. Thanks.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Trying to undervolt a AMD2600 with a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mainboard. I just can't seem to find the off-set option. Am I overlooking it, or does MSI really not provide it with the mentioned board? Could somebody please confirm? That would be great! Not going to fiddle around with p-states though. Not sure if 100 MV is worth it anyways. Thanks.
From everything I've read MSI is the one manufacturer that doesn't provide offset voltage on any of their boards. At least not for Ryzen.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Llamadeus posted:

From everything I've read MSI is the one manufacturer that doesn't provide offset voltage on any of their boards. At least not for Ryzen.
Hm, okay. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the board. Can't be helped. Thank you Llamadeus.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel like I'm not doing something right while trying to overclock my Ryzen 5 2600. I set the clock speed to 3.850 GHz and the core voltage to 1.3750 V. Before doing any overclocking, I took a Cinebench 15 baseline and got 1212.67 after three runs. Now, I only get in the 1100s and my CPU temperature goes to mid-70s (Celsius). What did I do wrong?

Edit: Maybe my original baseline was off somehow? I went back to auto for speed and voltage and now I'm getting 1100-1111. But the temperature's better - 65 C max.

hooah fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 30, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What cooler are you using?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A Noctua NH-L9a-AM4.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

A Noctua NH-L9a-AM4.

Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Even mid 70s C is nowhere near too hot for processors (note that I'm not familiar with ryzen but I would imagine it's the same). If you're having issues it isn't your cooler.

E: have you done any actual stress testing? Cinebench isn't prolonged enough to reach max temps.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 2, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

hooah posted:

Any ideas?

Noctua's TDP guidelines put you close to the edge of what the cooler can handle. I don't think your temperature numbers are unexpected, running the CPU overvolted is probably going to be a bit challenging.

The stock turbo on a 2600 is apparently 3900 MHz so it sounds like you might have accidentally downclocked it? I don't know much about how the turbo settings work on Ryzen. Alternatively, you're just hitting thermal throttling due to the overvolt at some point in the benchmark. Googling seems to indicate that Ryzen starts throttling at 85C so if you're not actually reaching that you should be good though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

eames posted:

I can recommend Asus Realbench. It is good at finding errors without producing completely unrealistic power consumption numbers and stresses many subsystems (CPU, multiple GPUs, memory, storage) at the same time which is great for finding cooling issues.

Thanks, passed a 15 minute test using 8 Gb (half) RAM. My max temperatures were as follows:

i5-9600K (HWiNFO Core Max) = 66 C
Geforce GTX 970 (HWiNFO GPU Temperature) = 60 C
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite (HWiNFO System1) = 40 C

Are those settings for RealBench OK?

Are those temperatures OK (given that nothing has been OC'd yet except bringing my RAM to the correct speed, 3200 MHz)?

Are those HWiNFO sensors the best ones to watch? Assuming HWiNFO is fine.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I start cranking things up.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So I reapplied the thermal paste for my 8700k and H115i pro with some thermal grizzly and Aida and occt tests bring the temp to between 75 and 80c but in BFV after two rounds I've seen that the max temp in a couple of cores got to 92 which I would definitely think is too high for an AIO with a very modest 4.5ghz oc. It also peaks at 90 in AC odyssey too.

At the moment I have the radiator mounted at the top for exhaust, with three 120 fans at the front for input, this is in an NZXT H440 case. Should my next step be front mounting the radiator as an input and see if that helps? Saying that though, even with a top mounted radiator I wouldn't have thought the temps get this high. The idle temp is around 34 so it's not like the room it's in is too hot or anything like that.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 6, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That does seem really high. I don't remember you mentioning it before, but the pump isn't on a speed controlled header, is it? The pump should run at 100% all the time. Maybe it's a faulty H115 that didn't get filled all the way? I think you would be able to hear air bubbles if it wasn't filled all the way though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Definitely seems hot for a gaming load on a 280mm AIO, even with a stock TIM under the IHS. I'd only expect 90C+ under a prime 95 AVX small fft load, especially with a 4.5 GHz all core which barely counts as an overclock. Unless the motherboard is supplying some insane voltage that is driving the power/heat way up for no reason.

Edit: ^^^ The pump on that cooler should be running off a SATA power plug, the 3 pin header that comes out of it is only there to supply a tachometer reading to the motherboard.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 6, 2019

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The pump seems fine, I've got it on the balanced profile and seems to stay at around 2100 rpm.

Anyway it seems like I may have found one culprit, I took the top and front panels off my case, played two rounds of BFV and the CPU package temp according to HWiNFO maxed out at 74c, so it's very possible that the case is just very bad with airflow.

eames
May 9, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks, passed a 15 minute test using 8 Gb (half) RAM. My max temperatures were as follows:

i5-9600K (HWiNFO Core Max) = 66 C
Geforce GTX 970 (HWiNFO GPU Temperature) = 60 C
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite (HWiNFO System1) = 40 C

Are those settings for RealBench OK?

Are those temperatures OK (given that nothing has been OC'd yet except bringing my RAM to the correct speed, 3200 MHz)?

Are those HWiNFO sensors the best ones to watch? Assuming HWiNFO is fine.

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I start cranking things up.

Yes that seems ok. Running half RAM is a good idea because if the load exceeds your RAM capacity it'll swap to disk and that's bad.
Typical stability tests should ideally run an hour or longer, though Realbench also stresses the SSDs and you don't want to wear them out by running it in a loop for days.

I'd suggest staying below 80°C core temperature and 1.25V Vcore until you're more confident and know what you're doing.
Main temperatures to watch are the CPU and VRM temperature, though I think you board is well equipped for a 9600K so VRM temperatures shouldn't be an issue.
Other voltages like VccIO and VccSA should also stay below 1.10V to start with, auto BIOS settings sometimes set them way too high

I'm not familiar with that CPU/board so others are more qualified to help you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

The pump seems fine, I've got it on the balanced profile and seems to stay at around 2100 rpm.

Anyway it seems like I may have found one culprit, I took the top and front panels off my case, played two rounds of BFV and the CPU package temp according to HWiNFO maxed out at 74c, so it's very possible that the case is just very bad with airflow.

Wait did you have the top mounted rad blocked by a top panel in place above it? That is way too huge of a temperature delta unless something wasn't working the first time like no fans spinning on the AIO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

Wait did you have the top mounted rad blocked by a top panel in place above it? That is way too huge of a temperature delta unless something wasn't working the first time like no fans spinning on the AIO.

The top panel on the H440 has some soundproofing foam inside it and the only exhaust for air is like a thin strip along one edge of the panel so it seems like the radiator just dumps heat onto itself and only gradually lets air out the side part. From the looks of things there's probably about 1cm of space between the top of the radiator and the soundproofing foam.