Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frijolero posted:

AMLO is giving his inauguration speech to congress. He's spent most of it blaming neoliberalism, especially because it breeds corruption through privatization schemes.

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hell yeah

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/11/amlo-inauguration-new-hope-mexico-excerpt

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

AMLO's inauguration speech owned.

El Chavo Absoluto

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/st...ingawful.com%2F

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Genuinely surprised none of you goons are talking about this god drat long cleansing that's broadcasting on live tv across all channels

Like I finished eating lunch in the time it took for some dude to postrate in tears at AMLO's feet

e: stream https://www.pscp.tv/w/1lPKqdjzvblxb

Ignis has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Dec 2, 2018

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

american here, saw and read a bit of the speech and was reminded anew that amlo owns

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Dec 2, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this inauguration is fantastic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has he locked up pena neito and carlos slim yet

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1068831478933536768

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

seems like fears of amlo shifting to the center may have been a bit premature

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Things looking good for almo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

hell yeah

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

seems like fears of amlo shifting to the center may have been a bit premature

He'll "shift to the center" anyway, but it'll be a more pro-welfare anti-neoliberal left wing populism than a true center. Which is too much for the bourgeois to tolerate anyway.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So what's been going on in Mexico? Is it a Communist hellscape yet?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
afaik nothing has been implemented yet, but a recent noteworthy plan is a government youth program that will give grants for students to achieve a bachelor degree level of education and work placement plan that will give young people stipends and find them jobs.

Essentially, 2.6 million young lower-class Mexicans will get 20-50% of their cost of living paid for with monthly stipends.

Along with this, more benefits and money for disabled people and elderly.

The peso has remained stable. AMLO has been giving daily press conferences and public appearances to cheering crowds. A plan to monitor crime in all states is being implemented. Good poo poo all around from what I can tell.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, something else. Mexico City's new head of government (who is part of AMLOs clique and a climate scientist) has shutdown the "Grenadiers," the active anti-riot police force responsible for student killings during the massacre of 1968.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

full inauguration speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB-ARwCdKE0

the auto translate works pretty decent

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frijolero posted:

Oh, something else. Mexico City's new head of government (who is part of AMLOs clique and a climate scientist) has shutdown the "Grenadiers," the active anti-riot police force responsible for student killings during the massacre of 1968.

claudia sheinbaum owns a whole lot. she would make a great successor to AMLO in 2024. being mayor of mexico city pretty much guarantees that will be the case

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Hell yeah amlo :bubblewoop:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/pena-se-va-con-26-de-aceptacion-amlo-llega-con-66

his approval is 66%

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

amlo, buddy, do me a solid and get just three more points.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So apparently Mexico is now gonna take care of asylum seekers as they try and get Asylum in the US. With Trump saying that he had talked to Mexico about this. wtf?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1ON179

the cleansing begins :gritin:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I knew Comrade Andres would pull through.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

It's good and cool that PANistas are dying.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't be bothered to read about them, but they were bad apparently.

I'm glad AMLO kept that SAM missile that Putin gave him.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Despite spending his adult life in a political system where public service is seen as a route to self-enrichment, Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has revealed that he has a little less than $23,000 in savings.

In his first financial declaration since taking office on 1 December, the leftwing president also said that his wife makes slightly more than he does and owns the Mexico City apartment where the couple live.

“I’ve never been interested in money,” López Obrador, 65, told reporters. “I fight for ideals, for principles.”

The title to a 1.2-hectare ranch inherited from his parents in southern Chiapas state, meanwhile, is already in the names his four sons, he said.

López Obrador, popularly know as Amlo, has promised to govern with frugality, and cut his own pay to about $65,000 a year – less than half of what his predecessor made. His wife, author and academic Beatriz Gutiérrez Müller, makes about $72,000.

He has also pledged to sell off the presidential plane, traveling instead on commercial flights and a Volkswagen Jetta.

At his morning press conference on Friday, Amlo said he didn’t have a credit card and hasn’t had a checking account for years. He pulled a US $2 bill out of his wallet – given to him as a good luck token by a Mexican living in the US – insisting it and a 200 peso note was all he had with him.

His display of personal austerity contrasts dramatically with other Mexican politicians. The administration of his predecessor Enrique Peña Nieto was marked by a string of corruption scandals.

Amlo’s allies in Congress followed up his pay cut by approving a bill forbidding public servants from earning more than the president. The supreme court, whose justices are paid £10,900 monthly plus generous benefits, later ruled against the pay cuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so is this guy another mujica or will he do something

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Amlo’s allies in Congress followed up his pay cut by approving a bill forbidding public servants from earning more than the president. The supreme court, whose justices are paid £10,900 monthly plus generous benefits, later ruled against the pay cuts.

lmao id love to know what grounds they cooked up for that

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
AMLO is doing real well imo

There are a few issues. For example, he wants to create a brand new National Guard-type military unit. This is not cool if you're an anarchist or a right-winger (never mind that the right-wing has employed military units all the drat time).

But he is surpassing all of my expectations. Some good poo poo he and his party have done already:
-Created a bigass jobs program for young people
-Increased funding for social security, disability, scholarships
-Increased the minimum wage
-Is working with the US to invest money in southern Mexico and Central America to decrease forced migration
-Some huge infrastructure projects are already underway

He's also shown to be open to criticism. He was going to decrease funding for big universities to build 100 new public universities. A lot of people got pissed off and it created a minor shitstorm. He finally said he would not seek to decrease funding, but reminded big universities that their coffers were too big. A day later two university directors promised to decrease their salaries on their own to keep with the spirit of the new administration. :allears:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the very idea of top university administrators' pay ever going down is completely loving out there in the us lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

whats the purpose of the new national guard thing?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

THS posted:

whats the purpose of the new national guard thing?

military org thats less infested with right wingers is my guess.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The military has been, at least what I hear anecdotally, less lovely than most other law enforcement agencies when it comes to combating cartel violence.

He's using this new unit to deploy fresh security forces that are not corrupt and are working in conjunction with his new security plan. He's setup a whole taks force that tracks and reports violent crimes throughout the whole country.

It's also something of a jobs program, which I think is the best deterrence for crime. The unit will be staffed by young unemployed people and they will be payed well.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The problem has also been that militarizing police or increasing domestic military deployment has also traditionally been one of the first acts of dictatorial regimes, especially in Latin America (nevermind that most of these have been Right Wing and hand-picked by the US), so it has been a huge boon to his critics. Living in Monterrey, a traditionally right-wing city, most reactions to AMLO have gone from jittery caution to panic at least in my social/family circles, and even mentioning any good he's done is immediately discarded with shrieks and wails about Venezuela and dictatorships.

The military has been more effective at combating organized crime, but has also committed many outright heinous human rights abuses, including disappearing people and executions, then hand-waving victims as involved in organized crime, even after it's proven they weren't. Back in 2010 they shot and killed two students of a prestigious private university basically on campus, then called them criminals, and refused to accept they weren't. AMLO was the first president to apologize for it, IIRC, though.

Monterrey is weird though, since besides being a right-wing holdout, it's also a pretty rich (and racist) city, and people are completely incapable of understanding how bad it is for most of Mexico, especially in higher economic rungs. Even mentioning the median/average salaries within the state are barely processed before being scoffed at and discarded, not to mention how extremely hosed people are in the Mexican South. It was still funny when the migrant caravan came through that everyone started going full Trump, even if Trump is generally reviled in polite conversation here.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I studied at Tec Monterrey for a year. Some of the shittiest people I've ever been around.

Hell if all that this military force accomplishes is freaking out the reactionaries then I'm cool with it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Maleh-Vor posted:

Living in Monterrey, a traditionally right-wing city, most reactions to AMLO have gone from jittery caution to panic at least in my social/family circles, and even mentioning any good he's done is immediately discarded with shrieks and wails about Venezuela and dictatorships.

They're afraid that AMLO's national guard is going to be something like the National Bolivarian Militia, which is an ideological militia whose primary aim is to defend the revolution against internal and external threats. So even if the state is coup'd or overthrown by some kind of American backed invasion, the NPM will still be out there forming an armed resistance. If the National Guard is a similar organization, it means that the Mexican right can never fully control the country without destroying this kind of citizens' militia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
iirc, and please correct me if I'm wrong, during the campaign AMLO promised to demilitarize a lot of the areas of conflict. This scared a lot of people who still saw the Army as a source of protection.

I don't think this is ideological at all. I think it's creating a new unit to keep the peace, but with actual accountability.