Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The IS-3A is what the T69 wishes it was - inaccurate gun with moderate gold pen so it needs to get in close, but it has enough mobility to actually close the distance and enough armor and HP to survive close range, and a sizeable burst damage to punish enemies that allow it to close the distance and clip out.

And then the IS-3A becomes a regular tier 8 heavy tank without actually being punished for the 1200 burst damage over 6 seconds because its autoloader mechanic is broken, and also the IS-3A crushes the T69 in penetration and also everything else.

So another broken mechanic to the already broken autoloader mechanic.
And it can't be nerfed, because lol premium but it is balanced because it sees tier10s (which it can strip 50% of their HP in 6 seconds on).
So I guess tier8 is even more hosed than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
On the RU forum the players are thanking VG (war gaming) for making the IS-3A interesting. They see not having any down sides compare to the regular tanks as a good thing and they keep saying it has a bald head (I don't know what that means).
War Gaming don't have a problem. They are giving their players exactly what they want. We are not the players they care about at all. Sure they don't mind taking our money, but they don't really need the other servers to keep their game going.

2Jets fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 13, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
turns out that giant amounts of burst damage is a broken mechanic, being able to moderate how much burst damage you need and get a comparitively shorter reload to full is more broken, and having zero downsides in firepower for the priviledge of having huge burst damage is real broken. It's just another in the long line of OP premiums.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bought a few boxes because expendable Christmas income, so of course the I get the Defender and IS-3A in the space of five minutes. I didn't even get that many boxes.

Finally, I can contribute to the death of this game.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm in those matches all the time, on both sides of the coin.

Use cover, just as you would against regular tanks (where that idea is not nearly as controversial, I presume). Artillery prefers to hit spotted, exposed enemies, and because it gets to fire so rarely compared to people in other vehicles, artillery will gravitate towards tanks that are badly out of position. Again, yolo scouts and 'bot kurwa debil noob' mediums who just roll around a building corner and get dogpiled by the entire (regular, not artillery) enemy team are fair game, but getting punished for your tactical mistakes is suddenly injustice if artillery is involved.

I honestly don't feel like arguing against alternative facts with you guys here. Even if you have somehow convinced yourself of the Clicker bogeyman's existence, it just takes a look at almost any given post-match scoresheet to see that artillery is not dominating this game.

Gimmick account, indeed

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So why are there like 4 types of loot box? Are there any differences? I'm really confused. Please help before I buy 75x4 or whatever :shobon:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If it's the same as previous years, the 4 types correspond to different nations (like one was US/Czech, another was Russia/Japan or something, etc) that give you bonuses to tanks from those nations when you complete the different ornament collections.

So if you just want the gold/gambling for tanks, it makes sense to buy the biggest single collection. If you want to try and get more bonuses for more grinding, split them up but you'll pay more.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barry posted:

If it's the same as previous years, the 4 types correspond to different nations (like one was US/Czech, another was Russia/Japan or something, etc) that give you bonuses to tanks from those nations when you complete the different ornament collections.

So if you just want the gold/gambling for tanks, it makes sense to buy the biggest single collection. If you want to try and get more bonuses for more grinding, split them up but you'll pay more.

So looks like I'm in for $400 :haw: I kinda want that IS-3A so I'll probably grab one of the large packages. Thanks :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The 4 types correspond to a different kind of bonus: exp, crew exp, free exp, and credits. The credit bonus is the only one worth spending money on IMO.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Barry posted:

Nope, this time they correspond to different bonuses to all tanks. One is a credit modifier, one is crew xp, another free xp, and another for combat xp. Based on the number of items in your collection.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

The 4 types correspond to a different kind of bonus: exp, crew exp, free exp, and credits. The credit bonus is the only one worth spending money on IMO.

Eh I have like 32M banked up. Probably gonna go with the Crew Exp since I have a boat load of crews to train up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I guess I got to thank the people who still drop $400 on this game so I can continue to F2P and buy a premium on sale every 4 years.
But jesus.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

JuffoWup posted:

Nope, this time they correspond to different bonuses to all tanks. One is a credit modifier, one is crew xp, another free xp, and another for combat xp. Based on the number of items in your collection.

Oh nice! That's way better than last year. Credits with maybe a side of combat xp for me.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

I guess I got to thank the people who still drop $400 on this game so I can continue to F2P and buy a premium on sale every 4 years.
But jesus.

You know I wasn't being serious right? I will drop $100 on this though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Stanley Pain posted:

So looks like I'm in for $400 :haw: I kinda want that IS-3A so I'll probably grab one of the large packages. Thanks :)

Stanley Pain posted:

You know I wasn't being serious right? I will drop $100 on this though.

What the gently caress?
Why are people spending this much on this game?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SocketWrench posted:

What the gently caress?

Why would you care what I spend on anything? I spend something like $40/day on food. Would you like me to run that past you next time I go for lunch? :cmon:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Different people have wildly different economic situations, news at 11

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barry posted:

Different people have wildly different economic situations, news at 11

It's this.

Ok so I snagged 25 of each of the boxes. I now have all the tanks that were being offered, and 97,000 gold. I already owned an e-25 and I literally got one every 2 boxes or so. :q:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Are the boxes up for purchase on EU yet?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Are the boxes up for purchase on EU yet?

Yeah, which is why I have a Defender and IS-3A in my garage without really wanting either; I was more interested in chasing after the decoration bonuses to relieve poo poo grinds :v:

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Katamari Democracy posted:

Ok, one thing that brought my piss to a boil. The god drat game turned my youtube algorithm into some very anime tank girl poo poo and loving WHY.

Girls und Panzer?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm fine with the dumb loot boxes this year, because I have all possible premiums with the exception of like two, and the gold-equivalent value is all I really care about

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

2Jets posted:

On the RU forum the players are thanking VG (war gaming) for making the IS-3A interesting. They see not having any down sides compare to the regular tanks as a good thing and they keep saying it has a bald head (I don't know what that means).
War Gaming don't have a problem. They are giving their players exactly what they want. We are not the players they care about at all. Sure they don't mind taking our money, but they don't really need the other servers to keep their game going.

Maybe "bald head" refers to the turret design? :confused: It's definitely largely a featureless bowl, even when compared to the regular IS-3.

SocketWrench posted:

What the gently caress?

There's definitely a point where a certain amount of money is too much to spend on a given game depending on its quality, but keep in mind games are almost entirely for the player's enjoyment so it's ultimately "worth" whatever that entertainment value is to you. It's a nominally F2P game after all, so if you spend, say, $100 on loot boxes at the end of the year, that's <$9/month which is a pittance to spend on video games. Subscription games are usually $10-15/month IIRC (are there any left? WoW? Eve?) and standalone games still generally retail for $60 for perhaps a 10-20 hour campaign and maybe some multiplayer that you'll eventually get tired of? All I can tell you is that I've gotten >7 years out of WoT (as bad as it can be) but I don't think it's uncommon for people to move on from one MP game (e.g. Battlefield 3 -> 4, CoD whatever -> whatever2.0) year-to-year. You can get similar longevity from games like Overwatch, LoL, Dota, but in the grand scheme of things, amortize the amounts of money we spend on games like this to get a better idea of what we're getting in return.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm in those matches all the time, on both sides of the coin.

Use cover, just as you would against regular tanks (where that idea is not nearly as controversial, I presume). Artillery prefers to hit spotted, exposed enemies, and because it gets to fire so rarely compared to people in other vehicles, artillery will gravitate towards tanks that are badly out of position. Again, yolo scouts and 'bot kurwa debil noob' mediums who just roll around a building corner and get dogpiled by the entire (regular, not artillery) enemy team are fair game, but getting punished for your tactical mistakes is suddenly injustice if artillery is involved.

I honestly don't feel like arguing against alternative facts with you guys here. Even if you have somehow convinced yourself of the Clicker bogeyman's existence, it just takes a look at almost any given post-match scoresheet to see that artillery is not dominating this game.

Lmao my man have you just tried to explain how to avoid artillery to me?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

wjs5 posted:

Girls und Panzer?

Don't you loving do it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm fine with the dumb loot boxes this year, because I have all possible premiums with the exception of like two, and the gold-equivalent value is all I really care about

And this event is awesome for that. 90k gold and a few months of premium plus five female crewmembers, 6 million silver and a 30 percent discount off a Tier 10, plus 50% extra silver, crew xp, tank xp and free xp in every single battle until January 14 is great value for $200. Since they started doing this I don't have to buy gold at any other time of the year.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, the theme bonus thing is great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I got the kv220 like 6 times and not a single tier 8 lmao.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Welp.

E- Oh cool I also got Simon Clause! That is loving awesome!

E- And for the T8 tank:

Was kinda hoping for the IS-3A but hey. I will take it

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 13, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

saintonan posted:

And this event is awesome for that. 90k gold and a few months of premium plus five female crewmembers, 6 million silver and a 30 percent discount off a Tier 10, plus 50% extra silver, crew xp, tank xp and free xp in every single battle until January 14 is great value for $200. Since they started doing this I don't have to buy gold at any other time of the year.

drat, $100 normally gets you 25k gold.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Atomizer posted:

drat, $100 normally gets you 25k gold.

Yeah so double that and you get 50k gold normally. This is a smoking deal even without thinking about tanks in the loot boxes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

saintonan posted:

Same here. But I dont buy the gold this time of year either.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Fjords, eastern start, first on the middle hill, enemy arty not in a good position. I think I've had a few lucky ace tankers before, but this was the first time I felt like I was massively contributing to our team.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Katamari Democracy posted:

Was kinda hoping for the IS-3A but hey. I will take it

The Defender is just as broken as the IS-3A. The new one is just getting all the attention right now.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Bought 75 boxes (as tradition) and ended up with a Defender, IS-3A, every tier 5 I didn't have, ~50k gold, all 4 new models and a bunch of silver (who cares). Time to throw the female crew into the IS3A and reap.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I hate this forest. I miss the village with the train going by from last year. This is ruining my drat holiday spirit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So much for the "I have all the tanks they're giving away so yay IS-3A" plan. Got the Turan III, M4 Improved, and gold equivalent for the KV-220-2 and E-25. Also all four of the new styles and the Santa guy. Spent ~$60 on a 25 and 11 box set (split between my credit and debit). I think I'm done for a while. :smith:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 14, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So much for the "I have all the tanks they're giving away so yay IS-3A" plan. Got the Turan III, M4 Improved, and gold equivalent for the KV-220-2 and E-75. Also all four of the new styles and the Santa guy. Spent ~$60 on a 25 and 11 box set (split between my credit and debit). I think I'm done for a while. :smith:

You imbecile. Sorry for your lots.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Quickybaby rants at WG about the loot boxes after opening 200 lootboxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltXBD3IkKVE

Going by his results, though - I actually beat his percentages.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Quickybaby rants at WG about the loot boxes after opening 200 lootboxes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltXBD3IkKVE

Going by his results, though - I actually beat his percentages.

This is a gambling addict rationalizing their habit, kids.