Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was quite significant if you wanted to slap a load of HEPTs on something cos they absolutely ate energy in exchange for spitting death.

Essentially it gave you more freedom in your gun loadout because you generally had more slots than you could supply, meaning you would pack more than one kind of gun or variable amounts of energy consuming loadouts. In X4 you just want as many good guns as you can get and ideally all the same type cos you wanna fire all of them at once all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Yeah that's what I was thinking of I think I remember shoving 8 HEPTs on my mamba and just going 'oh dear' but at the same time using mostly Terran ships I was used to just shooting forever with decent power.

I did feel like ammo weapons were kinda both a pain in tracking down ammo, but also silly since you could buy waaay more than enough easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrans are kinda the weird one out because they can only use their own guns and their own guns are always really efficient.

But all the other races gave you a lot of variety in overloading your ship if you wanted to.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

XR had per-weapon drain, but mostly it just made you switch weapons constantly when trying to blow up a larger ship, which was boring.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So does X4, it uses the Rebirth system except you can shoot multiple guns at once now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

xanif posted:

I run my trade ships, that don't have a high enough level captain to autotrade, to distribute wares. Hull parts and engine parts mostly. All the shipyards in my game are functional with just 3 10k storage haulers running around to fill the gaps that the AI don't consistently take care of.

Even ignoring the whole subject of "Players should(?) compensate for the failing economy". It would be nice if the encyclopedia entries for materials like Hull parts and Claytronics outright said "Oh, these are required for ship/station building, Specifically"

Particularly with opening demonstration of the economy. You get to things like claytronics. With no "Used to craft X", and a generic yet promising flavor text of "It can be used for drat near everything but the hull of a station! It's SUPER important and ALWAYS in demand!"

In my launch save the only thing demonstrated by Claytronics was that nobody was buying it despite it being one of the most expensive production module blueprints. Except for the usual example of "3 dot buy/sell!... Haha gotcha, it's just the trade stations stockpiling it for average price again!". Not even a warning that only displays when you try to go shopping like a Wharf low on hull parts. The gradual patches of the economy should help there, but it is still a situation of "Well, if you ALREADY knew-"

On the subject of economy. While sort by volume is a very useful filter, and will be more so when you start building a station mega empire and want to source a ton of materials ASAP (even more so if/when we get player owned shipyards). So far it's mostly been false positives in trying to find good prices. Between the rocky economy where argon cow factories are either not selling anything (But some HAT free port is), or 1 dot sales with overpriced meat because they can barely keep the factory running.

OwlFancier posted:

Ehh it does allow more variety between ships, it's hard to not just make more guns = good otherwise. If you're allowing a lot of weapon choice you probably want some kind of variable ammo supply between ships so as to make some more alpha strike based and some more sustained.

Especially as you could add modular parts which affect it. Maybe paranid shields give you more gunpower in exchange for less shieldpower. Having ships carry more guns than they can really supply gives you a lot of options for other things to put in those slots, such as capacitors, generators, or utility things like sensors or cargo modules. Which would be a lot less interesting if you could swap them for a fully functional laser. Also helps make rockets and such more useful too.
At least ships definitely have distinct speed profiles before you account for some of the crazy crafted mods shown off in the thread. Teladi and Argon Small ships even given Paranid engines, are mostly going to be slower than a Paranid with some MK2 whatever engines.

The Kestral Scout is slower than a Paranid MINER equipped with bargain mk2 engines. "No, gently caress you. THREE engines on the Mining ship or we execute you for heresy!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 13, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do I have to individually hire 75 people to get workers for my station? Please tell me there’s an easier way

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Section Z posted:

At least ships definitely have distinct speed profiles before you account for some of the crazy crafted mods shown off in the thread. Teladi and Argon Small ships even given Paranid engines, are mostly going to be slower than a Paranid with some MK2 whatever engines.

The Kestral Scout is slower than a Paranid MINER equipped with bargain mk2 engines. "No, gently caress you. THREE engines on the Mining ship or we execute you for heresy!"

I swear some of the ship speed stats are typos. Paranid Miner ships in particular, the LARGE versions are the 2nd and 3rd fastest ships in the game for travel speed (7479, and 6830)

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do I have to individually hire 75 people to get workers for my station? Please tell me there’s an easier way

I think if you build a habitation module, it will fill over time on its own.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Slickdrac posted:

I think if you build a habitation module, it will fill over time on its own.

Ah gently caress, thanks.

How do you research teleportation?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Ah gently caress, thanks.

How do you research teleportation?

Scan stations for the boron storyline to start, and work your way through the storyline missions for the PHQ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

The speed profiles are odd and I don't really like them. It's far more to do with ship class than profile.

You can have ships that carry three engines be slower than ships carrying one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

The speed profiles are odd and I don't really like them. It's far more to do with ship class than profile.

You can have ships that carry three engines be slower than ships carrying one.
Yeah in situations like that where the is a HUGE gap between the same ship category, all multi engines are is a CR tax for visuals. Which can gently caress right off.

Like the Teladi M Frigate having two engines for 1.9 travel speed with a mk3 travel engine. It doesn't even have more shield generators than other frigates. While the two engine Argon M Frigate gets 3.8 travel.

Or the poor unloved Teladi Guillemont Scout. FOUR loving engines, only one gun and one shield. Still slower than Paranid everything, and slower than the 3 engine Argon small ships (On that note, feels like they got the ARG "Courier Vanguard Courier" and ARG Miner speeds backwards). FOUR engines for 5.7 travel tops. And it's a 960 cargo scout doesn't make up for that compared to it's peers. It is a SCOUT, with four goddamned engines. It should be the fastest thing in the universe.

What sorry sack of poo poo got stiffed with "Three engines is slower than a ship of the same type with one engine"? I can at least understand stuff like noncombat ships getting by on less engines than warships. But it's clear now that I take a second look there are some huge issues within the same category.

Slickdrac posted:

I swear some of the ship speed stats are typos. Paranid Miner ships in particular, the LARGE versions are the 2nd and 3rd fastest ships in the game for travel speed (7479, and 6830)

The above mentioned fact that even within factions, Argon's 3 engine miner is NOTABLY faster than their 3 engine Courier model does hint that there are probably some basic fuckups of the "we got it backwards!" variety too.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 13, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

So, about that multiplayer...

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=4770423&sid=03de03e21d5efb65c707e45587f59f80#p4770423

"Sorry to disappoint you, but these functions were just experiments. The Online Features options will have further uses down the line, but these functions aren't among them."

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

Yeah in situations like that where the is a HUGE gap between the same ship category, all multi engines are is a CR tax for visuals. Which can gently caress right off.

Like the Teladi M Frigate having two engines for 1.9 travel speed with a mk3 travel engine. It doesn't even have more shield generators than other frigates. While the two engine Argon M Frigate gets 3.8 travel.

Or the poor unloved Teladi Guillemont Scout. FOUR loving engines, only one gun and one shield. Still slower than Paranid everything, and slower than the 3 engine Argon small ships (On that note, feels like they got the ARG "Courier Vanguard Courier" and ARG Miner speeds backwards). FOUR engines for 5.7 travel tops. And it's a 960 cargo scout doesn't make up for that compared to it's peers. It is a SCOUT, with four goddamned engines. It should be the fastest thing in the universe.

What sorry sack of poo poo got stiffed with "Three engines is slower than a ship of the same type with one engine"? I can at least understand stuff like noncombat ships getting by on less engines than warships. But it's clear now that I take a second look there are some huge issues within the same category.

The above mentioned fact that even within factions, Argon's 3 engine miner is NOTABLY faster than their 3 engine Courier model does hint that there are probably some basic fuckups of the "we got it backwards!" variety too.

Had a thought on the backwards between classes though. The L class ships are ALL faster in travel speed than their M counterparts, which kind of would buff the role of a carrier type ship, if docking/undocking weren't ungodly slow and the fleet function would work to pair up smaller miners to mine for the big ship, or allow for superfreighters.

e; double posting is a 1.32 bug

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Probably very much for the best tbh, probably also shouldn't have launched the game with them in, though...

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Slickdrac posted:

For anyone restarting, your first order of business should be getting a handful of trading ships to keep the shipyards and wharfs supplied when you need to. Else you're going to get stuck waiting for possibly hours to get any new ships or even just restocking on equipment.

Does this mean if your ship build is stuck in a queue, you need to bring enough materials to get your ship build plus all the other ships that aren't yours that are also waiting to be built before you can get your ship completed? I don't mind the idea of having to provide my own materials since the building itself only takes a couple minutes (should take longer Imo), but I don't want to have to provide resources for 7 other NPC ships each time I want to produce one for myself

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Hoo boy. I was afraid someone was going to ask how that works.

OKAY. So, short answer, if you cover the shortfall in one sale, and you're 1st in the queue, it will build your ship right away.

Long answer, it depends on your queue location, and what the supply level is at, and what a sale to it brings it to. So take this generic ship queue with arbitrary values of an ambiguous item needed for each to be built. For ease, the dock has 0 of this item.

Ship 1-300 needed
Ship 2-400 needed
Ship 3 (You)-200 needed
Ship 4-100 needed

In this case, the shipyard will tell you that 1000 items are needed.

If you bring 1000 items, it will start work on all 4 (If it's a wharf at least, shipyard can build 1 L and 1 XL at a time)
If you bring 700 items, it will begin work on Ship 1 and 2
If you bring 500 items, it will begin work on Ship 1 and SHOULD begin work on your ship
If you bring 200, it should start on your ship
If you bring 100, it will start on ship 4

In sum, if you want the drat thing to get on with it, get the big fucker trade ship and load it up with whatever it's short of to sell. I was at war with the HOP trade dock for hours this morning even with 6 M trade ships doing nothing but bringing it items because all the S ships they kept asking for kept stealing materials.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem with goods/queueing is that the stations don't really consider the relationship between who's trading with them and who's buying ships from them. They just set a queue of ships in the order that they were received, and start building them if they have the materials available for them. If they don't, they just wait until someone trades some materials to them, without considering that like, MAYBE you might be selling them a whole bunch of ship components because you want them to start building YOUR ship.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I am up to needing 15 M hauling ships to keep this drat HOP yard running. This is a bit nuts. It's not a total soft lock problem though, the ALI and MIN yards don't ever, or at least rarely build ships on their own, so they keep stocked well, and are easier to keep stocked, though ALI limits you to hauling ships, and MIN/Teladi ships aren't great.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 13, 2018

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Section Z posted:

Even ignoring the whole subject of "Players should(?) compensate for the failing economy". It would be nice if the encyclopedia entries for materials like Hull parts and Claytronics outright said "Oh, these are required for ship/station building, Specifically"

Particularly with opening demonstration of the economy. You get to things like claytronics. With no "Used to craft X", and a generic yet promising flavor text of "It can be used for drat near everything but the hull of a station! It's SUPER important and ALWAYS in demand!"

In my launch save the only thing demonstrated by Claytronics was that nobody was buying it despite it being one of the most expensive production module blueprints. Except for the usual example of "3 dot buy/sell!... Haha gotcha, it's just the trade stations stockpiling it for average price again!". Not even a warning that only displays when you try to go shopping like a Wharf low on hull parts. The gradual patches of the economy should help there, but it is still a situation of "Well, if you ALREADY knew-"

On the subject of economy. While sort by volume is a very useful filter, and will be more so when you start building a station mega empire and want to source a ton of materials ASAP (even more so if/when we get player owned shipyards). So far it's mostly been false positives in trying to find good prices. Between the rocky economy where argon cow factories are either not selling anything (But some HAT free port is), or 1 dot sales with overpriced meat because they can barely keep the factory running.

Production flowchart:

There are tons of those floating around. That's not the one I used but it was the first in my google search results and I'm not at home to pull up the bookmark I use but it's almost identical (content wise it's identical, it just differs in aesthetic presentation).

I really like that I can make money off of trading in this game. Especially shipping around parts for war. I like being an arms dealer; it's essentially free money to just set a decent sized cargo ship to move engine/hull parts around. I installed the conquest and war mod so shipyards are going crazy pumping out destroyers right now.

People on reddit/x4 forums said they were making bank off of claytronics but I ran the numbers and it's only like 2m per hour (revenue, not profit) in my game to run that plant for a resource that is not consumed. I haven't seen any NPC station building in game so I'm not sure what the point is.

If you scan the modules on a station, more specifically the storage containers, you can see exactly what materials they are low on and what they need. It will also tell you in the ship purchase/upgrade screen exactly which parts are missing for your ship. Stations can buy more than just the three things the market filter says its buying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NPCs build buckets of stations and they're useful for making your own too.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

NPCs build buckets of stations and they're useful for making your own too.

Really...mine haven't. Claytronics has been a stagnant market for me. Maybe once the xeno's start blowing stuff up the market will move. For now, hull parts and engine parts are my milk and honey.

I can see how they're useful to myself but I'm not dropping 12m on a claytronics factory when there are much cheaper modules with much better margins. Maybe when I'm drowning in credits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should generally start doing it just to expand their economies.

Given how expensive they are a 12m factory would pay for itself quite quickly in station costs.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

xanif posted:

There are tons of those floating around. That's not the one I used but it was the first in my google search results and I'm not at home to pull up the bookmark I use but it's almost identical (content wise it's identical, it just differs in aesthetic presentation).

I really like that I can make money off of trading in this game. Especially shipping around parts for war. I like being an arms dealer; it's essentially free money to just set a decent sized cargo ship to move engine/hull parts around. I installed the conquest and war mod so shipyards are going crazy pumping out destroyers right now.

People on reddit/x4 forums said they were making bank off of claytronics but I ran the numbers and it's only like 2m per hour (revenue, not profit) in my game to run that plant for a resource that is not consumed. I haven't seen any NPC station building in game so I'm not sure what the point is.

If you scan the modules on a station, more specifically the storage containers, you can see exactly what materials they are low on and what they need. It will also tell you in the ship purchase/upgrade screen exactly which parts are missing for your ship. Stations can buy more than just the three things the market filter says its buying.

xanif posted:

Really...mine haven't. Claytronics has been a stagnant market for me. Maybe once the xeno's start blowing stuff up the market will move. For now, hull parts and engine parts are my milk and honey.

I can see how they're useful to myself but I'm not dropping 12m on a claytronics factory when there are much cheaper modules with much better margins. Maybe when I'm drowning in credits.
That's was kind of the point. Basic industry in a space industry game (run from the view of your cockpit) should not have any elements you feel the need to look up a chart for :v:

Just look at the previous posts understandably confused about Teladianum, for example.

...Man, now I'm imagining the dark secret of NPC Economy crashes being their little robot brains trying to work off of the Encyclopedia entries.

"Everything is shutting down! What do we do!?"
"What about those Claytronics we stopped giving a poo poo about?"
"You fool! We've been over this, Claytronics has no 'used to craft' entry!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 13, 2018

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

They should generally start doing it just to expand their economies.

Given how expensive they are a 12m factory would pay for itself quite quickly in station costs.

Not in my game. Not sure why. Ran the numbers with the active claytronics orders and found it was 2m/hr in revenue. If I see the price go up I'll chase it but for now, nah.

Section Z posted:

That's was kind of the point. Basic industry in a space industry game (run from the view of your cockpit) should not have any elements you need to look up a chart for :v:

I disagree. I like complex economies like this but it might not be for everyone.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Section Z posted:

That's was kind of the point. Basic industry in a space industry game (run from the view of your cockpit) should not have any elements you feel the need to look up a chart for :v:

So like. X is Factorio in space.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

xanif posted:

I disagree. I like complex economies like this but it might not be for everyone.
Poorly communicated does not mean complex, which seems to be the disconnect.

You could add three times as many required ingredients to X4 and it would be just lovely so long as the game properly communicated the production needs (And, you know. the NPCS didn't gently caress it up).

FileNotFound posted:

So like. X is Factorio in space.
Basically, the opposite of this is what I've been trying to get across.

Crushing you under the perfectly functional weight of "Part A makes Part B. Which makes Parts C F and G. Part C is used for-" with it being painfully, depressingly clear why you are loving up, is complex.

Driving people to ask "What the gently caress is this teladnium used for then?", or responses of "Well Claytronics is being used fuckall in my universe" isn't what makes an economy complex.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 13, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I'm puzzled, how are you expecting that to be conveyed that it isn't?

The encyclopedia spells out, item x is made from items a, b, and c, and can be used to make item K. Compared to X3, the industrial system and flows are downright simple.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Section Z posted:

Poorly communicated does not mean complex

X4.txt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno how else you should communicate it other than a chart. If anything the chart is the best way to communicate it, and the game does list it in the encyclopedia and in the logical overview.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

I'm puzzled, how are you expecting that to be conveyed that it isn't?

The encyclopedia spells out, item x is made from items a, b, and c, and can be used to make item K. Compared to X3, the industrial system and flows are downright simple.
So much as a single line of text added to the encyclopedias would sort a lot of it.

Something more that flavor text interpetations mentioning the important fact that Teladnium is the ONLY(?) alternative ingredient in the game. It's an exception to the established rules, so of course it throws people off.

Claytronics having a line explicitly stating it's purpose as station crafting material would reassure people staring at a stalled economy that has no desire for claytronics, and wondering "Is it just meaningless flavor text? Like so many other games?"

Etc. Particularly when so many of the stumbles talked about in X4 are not QUITE down to player error.

"Learn from example" is wonderful goal for a living, breathing uinverse. But in the state of the game, learning from example includes "Surely three stations inside a radioactive green rocks field is great for the economy." Obviously that's an extreme example of something no sane player will even attempt (I'm sure some have). But it does highlight why relying on the demonstrated NPC economy to learn the game is a bad idea.

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno how else you should communicate it other than a chart. If anything the chart is the best way to communicate it, and the game does list it in the encyclopedia and in the logical overview.
Which brings us back to the Teladi metals example, and how even the slightest tweak of the encyclopedia would remove all (player based) problems involved with that material.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 13, 2018

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda feel like that's basically xseries.txt.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

So much as a single line of text added to the encyclopedias would sort a lot of it.

Something mentioning the important fact that Teladnium is the ONLY(?) alternative ingredient in the game.

Section Z posted:

Claytronics having a line explicitly stating it's purpose as station crafting material

When you build stations, there's a tab that spells out what items you need. Now that I look, the encyclopedia also tells you what each station module needs. Each production line tells you exactly how many of what items per hour it needs and how much it produces. The flaw there is that it doesn't group together multiple modules into one drop down in logistics (I understand why, so they can run independantly). But this isn't really rocket science to figure out?

Yeah, Teladianium isn't spelled out "WHEN YOU USE STATION MODULES FROM THE TELADI, IT'LL USE THIS INSTEAD OF REFINED THINGS", but the Encyclopedia doesn't really go into mechanics like that in the first place. Maybe it should be more explicit, but it's also one of those things that's a "known" thing by anyone who's not totally new to the series so they didn't cover it. Alternative ingrediants for the same process is absolutely RAMPANT in X3, so it's more anomalous that it's an oddball rather than the norm in this one.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 13, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There should be flavor text, but also game text that directly says what it does.

Have a little top down production view

Materials
Item
Uses

You could got horizontal instead, really whichever looks more visually pleasing.

Clicking any of the materials or uses will open up that article.

That is how you make proper documentation, and it should be something that can be automatically generated considering the rest already exists in game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slickdrac posted:

Flavor text.
I mean, I went out of my way to say "That isn't relying on Flavor text" .

So if the rebuttal is "Flavor text", clearly we're down to the last legs that is pure difference of opinion :shobon:

You also probably know more about the inner workings of the game than most of the fanbase at this point, which is honestly cool. But it's also the sort of thing most won't have the advantage of.

Gorelab posted:

pixaal posted:

There should be flavor text, but also game text that directly says what it does.

Have a little top down production view

Materials
Item
Uses

Clicking any of the materials or uses will open up that article.

That is how you make proper documentation, and it should be something that can be automatically generated considering the rest already exists in game.

When "Would a single additional sentence kill you, X?" becomes a point of contention.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it does tell you what makes an item, and what the item can be used to make. Items that are not used to make anything else are final products that are consumed by final stage construction such as stations, ammunition, equipment fitting, and shipbuilding, which are not part of the industrial chain.

Like this is one of the better documented things in the game, but a flowchart helps to visualise it on a large scale. The game even gives you a flow chart when you look at a station ingame.

The only change I think would really be beneficial is adding station modules to the encyclopedia once you scan them, rather than once you acquire the blueprint.

Oh and actually I'd like a broader economy cos the new stations are great and I want an excuse to build more of them. Ideally with lots of alternate routes such as fusing hydrogen into helium or synthesizing water from it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 13, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It's not "Flavor text", this is a German game, that's where you learn the mechanics and wtf things are. The rest of the page is spreadsheet fodder.

90% of those text boxes are empty, many will always be that way. If there is something in there, it's usually worth reading

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Section Z posted:

When "Would a single additional sentence kill you, X?" becomes a point of contention.

Given that the EgoSoft team is - what 20 people?

I think they do not have the resources to invest in documentation and keeping it updated. This does mean even that one sentence.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I used a C20th device called a 'pen', with a stack of flat sheets of a wood and clothe amalgam called 'paper'. It's been frighteningly effective so far.

Gorelab posted:

No word of a lie, The first time I loaded up 'X: beyond' and got past the nice Teladi, the first station I docked with was incomprehensible. Why couldn't I buy? What was all this stuff?

Best of it is _that_ is the immersion. You got thrown into a strange universe with nothing except the basics in the manual, and they didn't explain anything beyond the basics.

There's some embedded knowledge from playing these games over the years, but the act of opening the encyclopedia, or checking the 'station logical view' isn't some hugely insurmountable obstacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean yeah, I do absolutely think that X4 needs better documentation, but sadly with a small team making weird games it's kinda understandable.

Compared to X3 and X:R it's like surprisingly learnable from the get go though. For both of those games I needed to have a wiki open at all times and in X3:TC I didn't know about jumpdrives forever, in a game where a shitton of the missions that you get basically expect you to get them. I had to look up where to get one and go on a crazy journey since Earth doesn't open up till the end of the Terran plot.