Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

feedmyleg posted:

ESL writers often have better grammar than native English speakers. If you have anyone able to do some minor editing or can commit yourself to doing a careful editing pass yourself, it's a no-brainer. Plus if you ever want to translate your own work back into your native language it'll be a lot easier than the other way around.
Grammar is actually not what worries me - it's vocabulary. I have a sad habit of being a little lazy when reading - I read very fast, and often rely on context to "fill in the blanks" I gloss over. That works almost always, but it means there is a vast number of words I don't actually know the meaning of. I thought about this on the way home, and immediately stumbled on a random example: a word like "awning". I don't know what "awning" means. It's part of a building, something outside, and I've seen it used in a bunch of sentences where people traverse it, but the word itself carries no meaning to me. It took me quite a while to admit to myself that I didn't know if the "attic" is creepy and dark because it's downstairs or upstairs - if you only ever read sentences like "they decided they had to look for the monster in the dark, dusty attic, where nobody had gone for years", it could be either thing, and the cellar makes more sense, even.

This is a very fixable problem of course - I need to read more carefully and build up an inventory of useful words, and I can almost assuredly do that on the fly - but it weighed on my mind a little.

Nae! posted:

For what it's worth, I would have never picked up on you being a non-native speaker just from reading your post, so I think you can safely take a crack at writing prose in whichever language you prefer.
Thank you :). I always tell myself "nonsense, you're obviously really good at English", but I also know that I'm an arrogant bastard and shouldn't always believe my own delusions of grandeur. It's good to hear that there isn't anything obviously wrong with the way I write...

Pham Nuwen posted:

I can feel the academic writing influence in your post but as others have said, I didn't notice anything in your post that screamed NON NATIVE SPEAKER.

I'd say write in English, but first spend some time with say Hemingway's short stories. I've got the same academic writing habits as you (too many parentheticals, too much detail, overlong sentences, overuse of colons, semicolons, and em-dashes) and it seems to help me get away from them by reading these famously terse stories for a bit.
...except for this, which I will take to heart. I am actually a huge fan of writers who are able to write very concisely, with Ray Bradbury being a standout favorite, and have to constantly force myself to shrink sentences. That's a German problem for sure, though, we looooove our sentence anacondas.

You all have convinced me to start in English, thanks a lot :)! I'm quite excited to be done with the rough outline soon and start with actually putting down words. Once I got some chapters I'm satisfied with, I'll be sure to post them for sentence length scrutiny ;).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Read more, write more, close thread.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

HIJK posted:

And add a box of puppies to a scene

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HIJK posted:

But what if "Les mehr, schreib mehr, schließ den Faden" is better :thunk:?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Simply Simon posted:

But what if "Les mehr, schreib mehr, schließ den Faden" is better :thunk:?
English doesn't have 'doch.' Can you live without 'doch'?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i find it harder to go from prose fiction to academic writing than from academic to fiction. like "gently caress i gotta use passive voice all up in this methods section and i'm screaming inside but active voice in experimental methods is weird and not generally helpful." or "oh i can't use a fun metaphor here cause my PI will cross it out." or "so many words i can't use to truly capture my feelings :( "

for fiction it's like sure just chuck all that poo poo in there and edit it up, though I have occasionally gotten some :confused: responses when i use words that i think are more commonly used than they apparently are.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Perineuronal Nets are like a warm hug from an old friend.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

English doesn't have 'doch.' Can you live without 'doch'?
"'Doch' ist kurz für 'du Ochs'", sagte mein Mathelehrer immer

erm

"doch" is something like "you don't think it be like it is, but it do" in one word and can be considered quite rude and childish. My Math teacher used to say "don't doch me bro" with his (humorous) explanation being that "doch" is an abbreviation of "you ox".

Be glad I'm not writing comedy, basically.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

crabrock posted:

i find it harder to go from prose fiction to academic writing than from academic to fiction. like "gently caress i gotta use passive voice all up in this methods section and i'm screaming inside but active voice in experimental methods is weird and not generally helpful." or "oh i can't use a fun metaphor here cause my PI will cross it out." or "so many words i can't use to truly capture my feelings :( "

for fiction it's like sure just chuck all that poo poo in there and edit it up, though I have occasionally gotten some :confused: responses when i use words that i think are more commonly used than they apparently are.

If you want practice writing in passive voice, go work for literally any corporation and spend five minutes reading emails. You will master the art and also want to die.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I would rather not and never want to, thank you

Nano won, Charred is...probably half way done? A little over?

We'll see! Genuinely not sure how long Charred is going to go but I doubt it'll be longer than 100K

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The true horror is entire pages written entirely in subjunctive mood, for example in accident reports where they need to describe what people were supposed to do instead of dropping a satellite on the floor.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I've read a (really good) history book that was almost completely written in conditional mood, because most of it was speculation and the author was determined not to make any declarative statements unless she had evidence for them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Simply Simon posted:

Grammar is actually not what worries me - it's vocabulary. I have a sad habit of being a little lazy when reading - I read very fast, and often rely on context to "fill in the blanks" I gloss over. That works almost always, but it means there is a vast number of words I don't actually know the meaning of. I thought about this on the way home, and immediately stumbled on a random example: a word like "awning". I don't know what "awning" means. It's part of a building, something outside, and I've seen it used in a bunch of sentences where people traverse it, but the word itself carries no meaning to me. It took me quite a while to admit to myself that I didn't know if the "attic" is creepy and dark because it's downstairs or upstairs - if you only ever read sentences like "they decided they had to look for the monster in the dark, dusty attic, where nobody had gone for years", it could be either thing, and the cellar makes more sense, even.

This is a very fixable problem of course - I need to read more carefully and build up an inventory of useful words, and I can almost assuredly do that on the fly - but it weighed on my mind a little.

Thank you :). I always tell myself "nonsense, you're obviously really good at English", but I also know that I'm an arrogant bastard and shouldn't always believe my own delusions of grandeur. It's good to hear that there isn't anything obviously wrong with the way I write...

...except for this, which I will take to heart. I am actually a huge fan of writers who are able to write very concisely, with Ray Bradbury being a standout favorite, and have to constantly force myself to shrink sentences. That's a German problem for sure, though, we looooove our sentence anacondas.

You all have convinced me to start in English, thanks a lot :)! I'm quite excited to be done with the rough outline soon and start with actually putting down words. Once I got some chapters I'm satisfied with, I'll be sure to post them for sentence length scrutiny ;).

I mean, not that I consider myself that great at writing fiction, but I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more important factors than vocabulary in writing good fiction (e.g. pacing, plot, character development, register, etc).

There are a handful of writers who have enormous vocabularies and can get away with swinging them around (e.g. China Mieville), but you can do great things with very few words (e.g. Hemingway).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, not that I consider myself that great at writing fiction, but I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more important factors than vocabulary in writing good fiction (e.g. pacing, plot, character development, register, etc).

There are a handful of writers who have enormous vocabularies and can get away with swinging them around (e.g. China Mieville), but you can do great things with very few words (e.g. Hemingway).
I think I might have been overthinking the problem a little. It's just that irl, I'm usually completely fluent until I hit a word I simply don't know, and that annoys me - it's mostly very common things you still don't read often about, like names for herbs, building parts (see above, and yes I looked up what an awning is by now) and so on. I mostly fear my laziness a little, because I might consciously or even unconsciously substitute words I don't know with ones I do. As a random example: if I have to have my character flee someone in a castle, do I let them run through a corridor, or over the ramparts, with the latter a far less common word I simply happen to know?

But, again, I'm probably overthinking this.

I'm more than ready to drop my posts here now (but I kept thinking you probably deserved an answer for your nice post, so here you go :)), thanks a lot again to all of you for the encouragement! I'm having a lot of fun with the current stage of my project and I think I'll share some of that fun in the chat thread - that's probably gonna motivate me to stick with it as well, always a plus. I'll hopefully soon be back here (or even with an own thread) with some actual examples to critique.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thinderdome is the most active fiction thread, doing a week or two of that will give you a good idea of where your ESL prose sits, but you express yourself well in posts.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
simply just having a beta reader who uses mostly english will help sort those things out. they dont even need to be an editor or writer if you just need somebody to tell you “nah we dont rly use those words like that” or if you missed a word or something

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Get a dictionary. A big dead-tree dictionary. Preferably a weird old one that tells its own story. Mine is the 1950 Webster's Student Dictionary, inside the front cover it says "this textbook is the property of the state of Florida." The only person who bothered to fill out the "Date Returned" space put "1/12/70." It has a section in the front for "new words" that kids of the 40s and 50s should know, like "montage" and "ack-ack." The best thing, though, is the pictures (I can't bring myself to call them "illustrations"), tiny hand-drawn masterpieces of concision. I got it and a thesaurus of similar provenance from a friend who maybe paid a buck for each of them... if that.

The thing about paper dictionaries is that, if you look something up and you fall down a word hole, it's a hell of a lot easier to pull yourself out than an internet hole, and maybe you'll discover a nugget to steal on your way.

In his excellent book on writing, The Lie That Tells a Truth, John Dufresne says to start collecting dictionaries immediately. I laughed when I read it... and then jumped on the next one I saw in a donation box, Blackison's Gould Medical Dictionary along with J.I. Rodale's Synonym Finder because thesauri are even more subjective than dictionaries. That was a heavy trip home.

I'm not saying only this for people trying to work their way through the oddities of English, but for everyone who writes. One of my favorite bits on M*A*S*H (and this is saying something) was ad-libbed by Alan Alda on set - Hawkeye was asked if he'd brought any books with him to Korea and he said "the dictionary, because it has all the other books in it." Which kind of says it all.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I'm doing some world building and i wanted to avoid the unfortunate implications of calling other completely different sapient beings as "races", opting to use "species" instead. my only real problem is how can i explain how hybrids happen between different species?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're going to be in iffy territory no matter what. If they can mate then they're not completely different species, outside of F1 hybrids. But if you're going down that road, just do research into the language around different species mating is talked about in reality as in mules, wolf/dog hybrids, etc. But you're going to end up with a lot of uncomfortable words like "crossbreeds" and "hybrids" and "interspecies" that have problematic histories in our world and don't sound so great when applied to sentient beings. You can always just make up your own term that won't carry the same baggage.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

You can always just make up your own term that won't carry the same baggage.

that's the thing, i suck at naming things. i either have to rely on generators or mashing names together and hoping it ain't a curse word in another language or already been used. i guess i'm very conscious of being as inoffenseive as possible.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Fruity20 posted:

that's the thing, i suck at naming things. i either have to rely on generators or mashing names together and hoping it ain't a curse word in another language or already been used. i guess i'm very conscious of being as inoffenseive as possible.

Blamfgoobles?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Find a word that's close but different. "Splice" and "scion" would work well to capture the idea of some kind of sci-fi offshoot gene combination nonsense.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You could also use the term "chimera" which isn't scientifically accurate but gets the idea across and doesn't have a ton of baggage.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

setting is more or less science fantasy with emphasis on fantasy. so yea i might take that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I like this

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Star Trek had this all over the place (species from totally different planets interbreeding), but I don't think they ever named it.

That said, I'm pretty sure they did it intentionally as a way of addressing and exploring the issues biracial people face, rather than as any attempt to agree with actual science.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fruity20 posted:

I'm doing some world building and i wanted to avoid the unfortunate implications of calling other completely different sapient beings as "races", opting to use "species" instead. my only real problem is how can i explain how hybrids happen between different species?

Sentients? Sapients? Or what other people are saying and make up a new term.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

feedmyleg posted:

You're going to be in iffy territory no matter what. If they can mate then they're not completely different species, outside of F1 hybrids.

You are correct, but really, cross-species mating is so common in sci-fi and fantasy that most readers aren't really going to even bat an eye when you mention that a character is half-human, half-Arzaninan. I mean, there will probably be a few scientifically knowledgeable people who go "that's not how species work", but this isn't something I'd lose sleep about unless you're really going to go deep into exploring what it means to be part of two different species.

"Interspecies" sounds like a good term to use.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

thanks for some inspiration ideas. i just wanted to ask since

there's a plot point where a tribe of harpies are trying to repopulate by capturing human men in hopes of siring male harpies to breed with. the problem is that 90% end up being hybrids instead of purely harpies. knowing how stubborn they are they keep on doing it.

another is i'm trying to be a tad bit more scientific with some of my mythical creatures. not too realistic per say as some hybrids/chimeras can still breed but the rest can't. demons are the exception as they aren't a species in the traditional sense.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fruity20 posted:

thanks for some inspiration ideas. i just wanted to ask since

there's a plot point where a tribe of harpies are trying to repopulate by capturing human men in hopes of siring male harpies to breed with. the problem is that 90% end up being hybrids instead of purely harpies. knowing how stubborn they are they keep on doing it.

another is i'm trying to be a tad bit more scientific with some of my mythical creatures. not too realistic per say as some hybrids/chimeras can still breed but the rest can't. demons are the exception as they aren't a species in the traditional sense.

Did the Incryptid series by Seannan McGuire ever delve into the science bits? You might want to pick up that series.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Exmond posted:

Did the Incryptid series by Seannan McGuire ever delve into the science bits? You might want to pick up that series.

thanks for the recommendation :)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FWIW Star Trek called them "hybrids" and I can tell you this because my wife and I are ridiculing our way through Voyager right now

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm writing in a third-person PoV, and I can't seem to decide whether to have the dialogue tags "X said" refer to the protagonist's parents by their names ("Jim said"), or what the protagonist would call them ("Mom said".) It's such a small choice, and it seems dumb to worry about it (especially since this is only relevant to the early part of the novel).

But I think it matters in terms of distance between reader and protagonist. I should have a consistent distance, it can't shift. It feels awkward, or false to me to see "Dad said", but going "Jim said" puts greater distance between the reader and the protagonist.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Are you writing it in the character's voice, or in a different voice? If the former, go with what they'd call them. If the latter, go by their name.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If a character speaks phonetically most of the time, should I drop the apostrophes? I've seen a lot of people do it, and it looks wrong, but if I keep the apostrophes it looks like ev'ry uvva word's got dem apostr'fees innit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Djeser posted:

Are you writing it in the character's voice, or in a different voice? If the former, go with what they'd call them. If the latter, go by their name.

That's helpful. If I was doing this in first person, I would be writing it from the character's voice, but I'm writing in third person because there will be multiple PoV's in the book. Thinking about it like that, your advice makes a great deal of sense. I'll probably stick to the name, I'm more comfortable with that.

Screaming Idiot posted:

If a character speaks phonetically most of the time, should I drop the apostrophes? I've seen a lot of people do it, and it looks wrong, but if I keep the apostrophes it looks like ev'ry uvva word's got dem apostr'fees innit.

You should probably not go overboard with writing phonetically, as that can get tiring to read. Eew woodnt rite a dum caracter sew awl there wordz r miss spelled, wood ewe? An occasional word here and there for flavor is fine, just be careful not to get carried away.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 13, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Screaming Idiot posted:

If it looks bad, that might be your brain going "hey dummy don't do this".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's been a while since I've read them but maybe review James Herriot's books? He frequently tried to capture the particular Yorkshire dialect and it usually felt pretty readable to me.

An over-abundance of apostrophes is just going to make your dialog look like a Robert Jordan book imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's been a while since I've read them but maybe review James Herriot's books? He frequently tried to capture the particular Yorkshire dialect and it usually felt pretty readable to me.

An over-abundance of apostrophes is just going to make your dialog look like a Robert Jordan book imo

Good call, i know what you mean. Irvine Welsh is the counter example, he does the phonetic accents well but it's a bit of effort to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I could use a bit of advice about structuring my first act. The story I'm working on is a episodic spy thriller- there's a problem, the team goes on a big, dumb mission to figure out what's going on and stop it, they rest, then a new problem appears. In my first draft I actually start with the viewpoint character getting recruited, and they spend about 20,000 words at spy hogwarts making friends and learning how to pick locks and murder dudes. I like the section, because it really helps you empathize with the protagonist by following them on their journey from normal goober to james bond, but it's a really weird island of content. From the instant they graduate they're in a by-the-numbers spy procedural, and my kneejerk reaction is to say that if that's where the bulk of the book lives, I should toss the deep end and just start the book with them doing what they'll do for the entire story.

So am I being too aggressively structuralist in cutting the opening just because it doesn't follow the same mold as the rest of the story?