Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Entropic posted:

What is the platinum “chip” if they never got pst vacuum tubes?

A macguffin? I figured it was a reference to poker chips, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

those people are still making and selling content/expansions for teso, maybe they didn't want to

ESO makes good money, too, so they try and stay all-hands which is easy to do considering it's Zenimax online's only game I think

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, it's literally a poker chip made of platinum, but the data stored in it I think might be some sort of microengraving

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Power armor that can pick up a variety of guns with their flexible hands is way better than power armor with a huge cannon on its shoulder that can fire huge shells 5 times and then run out of ammo
More guns are always better. These things are not mutually exclusive.

I thought fallout was based on WW2 tech as well. Power armor does not look like a weapon from WW2, at best it is safety equipment. If it was WW2 tech it would be covered in machine guns and have some sort of artillery role, otherwise, a tank or apc would be better. Making infantry vastly more expensive and require nuclear fusion wouldn't get off the ground if they were just up-armored hazmat suits.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 13, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Thalantos posted:

The existence of chips did not immediately made other technologies obsolete.

We can imagine in this setting almost everything uses tubes, but some high-tech thing may use some advanced unnamed technology.

I think many TV's still had tubes in the 80's.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I've got absolutely no problem with power armor being insanely powerful with no downsides, so long as it is suitably ridiculously hard / rare to obtain. Even though PA wasn't THAT great in Fallout 3, the quest you got in the main game to retrieve that locked up set of T-51B? When T-51B was still described as almost unheard of and a cutting edge prototype made just before the bombs fell, and you had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it, and in the base game that was the ONLY set of T-51B to be found? That was awesome and made it feel like a true accomplishment when you pulled it off. I was even okay with the Brotherhood having loads of the stuff in 3 given that they were making due with continually field-repaired older models that honestly weren't that great.

Then, yeah, every successive game de-valued power armor more and more until it became meaningless. Hell, in New Vegas you were usually more lethal without it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Babylon Astronaut posted:

More guns are always better. These things are not mutually exclusive.

I thought fallout was based on WW2 tech as well. Power armor does not look like a weapon from WW2, at best it is safety equipment. If it was WW2 tech it would be covered in machine guns and have some sort of artillery role, otherwise, a tank or apc would be better. Making infantry vastly more expensive and require nuclear fusion wouldn't get off the ground if they were just up-armored hazmat suits.

Note that tanks and APCs are scattered all over Appalachia, too.

Half the point of power armor is that it's hostile environment gear you'd need anyway. For places like Alaska, or per FO4, the goddamn moon. It making vehicle-mounted weapons man-portable is the other half of that equation. It's real hard to drive an APC into a building to clear it, but you can sure have a power armored soldier do it.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It makes the most sense as a hazmat suit. It even looks like an early space suit.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It makes the most sense as a hazmat suit. It even looks like an early space suit.

The only time I used Power Armor in Fallout 4 was when I had to venture into the super irradiated zone. It was still fun to cobble several suits together just for collections sake.

Just never leave a fusion core in the suit, unless you want to encounter raiders wearing your power armor. :argh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Entropic posted:

What is the platinum “chip” if they never got pst vacuum tubes?

Super science from a Howard Hughes pastiche and/or the Big MT lab rats.

Power Armor is for tactical flexibility. Being able to carry tank weaponry or portable nukes on a humanoid frame lets you go places big vehicles can't.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2018

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I thought the in-lore explanation was primarily that power armor can perform in very similar roles to those of tanks, while also being MUCH more maneuverable than tanks. In particular, having a dramatically smaller target profile that's much harder to hit with heavy anti-armor weaponry.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mantis42 posted:

Didn't people like Elder Scrolls Online? They should have just let the people who made that do an online Fallout game if they really had to have one tbh.

ESO has better writing and more decisions / consequences than most Bethesda games, they probably don't want people to get used to expecting that level of quality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Gobblecoque posted:

It always seemed odd that they didn't just make the minigun break after the fight. That would have even given players a sense of "woah that gun was badass I can't wait until I really get one of my own."

It runs out of ammo, though? I mean, even if you're careful with it you're not going to have much more than a single full drum of ammo. And where are you going to get more? There's like one early-game raider that uses one, maybe the boss of Trinity Tower, too, but that's like three more drums total. Pray for Carla to stock some, maybe?

I use a combination of Power Armor Storage System and Power Armor Airdrop to leave a minigun and a missile launcher strapped to the armor, and when it's time for the heavy stuff, I pop off a flare, Sturges crams it into a cannon and fires it across the map, and it's time to rock and roll.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Note that tanks and APCs are scattered all over Appalachia, too.

Half the point of power armor is that it's hostile environment gear you'd need anyway. For places like Alaska, or per FO4, the goddamn moon. It making vehicle-mounted weapons man-portable is the other half of that equation. It's real hard to drive an APC into a building to clear it, but you can sure have a power armored soldier do it.

Wait what? Does Fallout 4 have moon stuff? I never beat it, just put 100 hours into trying to explore the world. Maybe I should just try to go through the main quest and stuff now that I have a computer that can run it, even though I don’t have the DLC.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
[

Glazius posted:

It runs out of ammo, though? I mean, even if you're careful with it you're not going to have much more than a single full drum of ammo. And where are you going to get more? There's like one early-game raider that uses one, maybe the boss of Trinity Tower, too, but that's like three more drums total. Pray for Carla to stock some, maybe?

Wait, I thought the reason the minigun was absurdly week was because you got one right at the start of the game. But you don't get ammo for it until later?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropic posted:

How would that have worked when you ignore Preston and just grab the PA and Minigun and leave?

I dunno, anything off the list of millions of solutions.

Glazius posted:

Sure I guess? Thanks for reinforcing my point that featuring the minigun in the tutorial doesn't mean you have to make it the shittiest gun in the game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

2house2fly posted:

Wait, I thought the reason the minigun was absurdly week was because you got one right at the start of the game. But you don't get ammo for it until later?

You get 1000 rounds with the one you pull off the vertibird. Which may be an exorbitant amount, or possibly nowhere near enough depending on what difficulty and when you start the fight.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
It might not have been popular, but I tried to write a Fallout 4 mod that restricted the use of weapons to "heavy only" while in power armor. It always looked strange to me when massive mobile tanks were using pipe pistols or golf clubs.

The trade off would be a pretty significant buff to all heavy weapons, as well as them having 0 weight while in PA (since they sort of become part of the armor itself by being in the hands). Ideally, when you exited PA, it would still be holding whatever weapon you had equipped. While on foot, you could carry heavy weapons but you wouldn't be able to equip them.

The idea being if you needed to sneak around inside a building, you'd almost be forced to exit power armor. If you knew you'd be retaking the Castle and fighting lots of enemies in open spaces, you'd use your T-45 with a super-powered Minigun.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Prophecy120 posted:

It might not have been popular, but I tried to write a Fallout 4 mod that restricted the use of weapons to "heavy only" while in power armor. It always looked strange to me when massive mobile tanks were using pipe pistols or golf clubs.

The trade off would be a pretty significant buff to all heavy weapons, as well as them having 0 weight while in PA (since they sort of become part of the armor itself by being in the hands). Ideally, when you exited PA, it would still be holding whatever weapon you had equipped. While on foot, you could carry heavy weapons but you wouldn't be able to equip them.

The idea being if you needed to sneak around inside a building, you'd almost be forced to exit power armor. If you knew you'd be retaking the Castle and fighting lots of enemies in open spaces, you'd use your T-45 with a super-powered Minigun.

Now see, that makes sense.

I also always liked the thought of power armor benefiting from huge melee weapons, since the armor gives you the durability to get in close and the strength to wield those weapons with devastating power. With the direction they took Super Sledges in with FO4, though, wielding one just looked downright silly. They were like really big toothpicks. Hell, you even swung them one-handed in third person view, if I recall correctly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Entropic posted:

How would that have worked when you ignore Preston and just grab the PA and Minigun and leave?

Watch any of French Tomahawk's videos to see exactly what happens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djo7G_asiBg

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thalantos posted:

I though the dual meaning of “chip” was like the whole point.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

Prophecy120 posted:

For what it's worth that sounds awesome to me. I love that idea of using your power armour to get to a place and then exiting it to sneak around. I feel like this would've been a neat idea they could've had in the game from the start - have PA-specific weapons only it can use. Would reinforce its purpose as a mobile tank unit and actually give you more reason to wear it. As it stands in Fallout 4 it feels like you're more versatile and potentially more lethal outside the armour.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Frog Act posted:

Wait what? Does Fallout 4 have moon stuff?

There’s a mural in the Museum of Freedom that shows power armored soldiers on the moon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
None of this matters because in the grim dark future of F76 you wear power armor and use hunting rifles because everything else is a pain in the rear end.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ETPC posted:

getting the power armor with minigun in the first hour of fo4 pissed me off so much. i like the way power armor worked but don't loving give me power armor this early in the game you dipshits

I took the power armor and minigun, let the deathclaw spawn, then quietly stealthed my way out of town into the big unknown

I ran into Preston and the gang later, so it seems they didn't need me in the first place and totally aren't cheating immortal god zombies

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Entropic posted:

Yeah, it looks like a poker chip but it's actually a computer chip. Well, it's more of a solid state drive really

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I took the power armor and minigun, let the deathclaw spawn, then quietly stealthed my way out of town into the big unknown

I ran into Preston and the gang later, so it seems they didn't need me in the first place and totally aren't cheating immortal god zombies

My deathclaw got trapped in his cave so I just strolled up and executed him, it was very Bethesda.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NofrikinfuN posted:

My deathclaw got trapped in his cave so I just strolled up and executed him, it was very Bethesda.

It's the goofy engine quirks that really make the Bethesda Fallouts (and I suppose Skyrim) fun

Whether it's Deathclaws magically appearing out of thin air or enemies getting foiled by rocks and trees, the game may be bad, but saying it's not enjoyable just means you haven't actually played a Bethesda Fallout

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I didn't have a problem with getting the power armor and minigun so early. The minigun is pretty strong at that level but runs out of ammo fast. Sometimes in that encounter itself, and by the time you get more it will be kinda weak and not great (without perks and upgrades and even then . . .) and the power armor is almost just the frame. I think it has like, two of the weakest pieces that are almost damaged the fusion core is fairly low? Regardless, it is powerful for the moment but quickly runs out of use without investing time and resources into it. It is hardly a godlike OP item at the beginning of the game like some people like to claim. It is a good set piece moment, I think. Its a tease of future power and fights.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Wrr posted:

I didn't have a problem with getting the power armor and minigun so early. The minigun is pretty strong at that level but runs out of ammo fast. Sometimes in that encounter itself, and by the time you get more it will be kinda weak and not great (without perks and upgrades and even then . . .) and the power armor is almost just the frame. I think it has like, two of the weakest pieces that are almost damaged the fusion core is fairly low? Regardless, it is powerful for the moment but quickly runs out of use without investing time and resources into it. It is hardly a godlike OP item at the beginning of the game like some people like to claim. It is a good set piece moment, I think. Its a tease of future power and fights.

I enjoyed the whole "project car" aspect of power armor and wish they would have leaned into it harder. If it required more rare components to complete and upgrade the armor, it would have been a pretty rad side mission. Making fusion cores more rare could help too.

I also kind of liked the way you could find the frames in the wild. The one you find underwater in particular. If I could have done a little more work customizing the suits, I would have no real complaints about power armor.

I spent the whole game in ballistic weave fatigues anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I didn’t really need anything else in FO4 once i found the X1 armor

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I always felt like fallout 4 would have made the most sense if the power armor was the story.

Like you get a fusion core on the way out of the vault, then the same sequence with the power armor and the death claw, but instead of fusion cores being everywhere you just have the one and only one and are special because you can power up the armor laying around everywhere. And that is why everyone is asking you to do quests/trying to kill you. Like everyone hears about the power armor guy who killed a death claw and all the factions want your help or want that core.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a little bioware for my taste, but it would have certainly been more compelling than SHAAAAAUUUN!:byodood:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I always felt like fallout 4 would have made the most sense if the power armor was the story.

Like you get a fusion core on the way out of the vault, then the same sequence with the power armor and the death claw, but instead of fusion cores being everywhere you just have the one and only one and are special because you can power up the armor laying around everywhere. And that is why everyone is asking you to do quests/trying to kill you. Like everyone hears about the power armor guy who killed a death claw and all the factions want your help or want that core.

I would play Fallout: Iron Man

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Laffin my rear end off for real

So that quest encourages server-wide interaction, Feed The People, that gives everyone food? It was a bug.

From the newest patch notes: "Feed the People: Fixed an issue in which completing the Feed the People Event Quest granted Canned Meat Stew to all players on the server, rather than only the quest’s participants."

Making this poo poo awful trash garbage game even worse to play all the time, one day at a time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't like how the level scaling applies to loot chests in fallout 4, and by extension Power Armor frames. I'd prefer loot be fixed, so you can only find T-60 or X-01 suits in highly dangerous areas, and only at fixed locations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really don't like how the level scaling applies to loot chests in fallout 4, and by extension Power Armor frames. I'd prefer loot be fixed, so you can only find T-60 or X-01 suits in highly dangerous areas, and only at fixed locations.

But then players who know where the best pieces are might sequence break! :magical:

I mean, what if in fallout 2 you could just head east as soon as you left Arroyo and find Navarro and get the best power armor in the game?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NofrikinfuN posted:

I would play Fallout: Iron Man

pretty much exactly, and it's answer a ton of questions on "why is this supermarket still stocked with food 200 years later" if you make it so the power armor means you can go places no one else could.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

The existence of chips did not immediately made other technologies obsolete.

We can imagine in this setting almost everything uses tubes, but some high-tech thing may use some advanced unnamed technology.

I think many TV's still had tubes in the 80's.

One big CRT, but mostly the valves were replaced by the end of the 1970s because transistors were well cheaper and wouldn't need that warm-up period.

Most kids these days won't have accidentally shorted a flyback transformer.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Entropic posted:

That does make sense! I'm really kinda oblivious to stuff, alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Yardbomb posted:

Laffin my rear end off for real

So that quest encourages server-wide interaction, Feed The People, that gives everyone food? It was a bug.

From the newest patch notes: "Feed the People: Fixed an issue in which completing the Feed the People Event Quest granted Canned Meat Stew to all players on the server, rather than only the quest’s participants."

Making this poo poo awful trash garbage game even worse to play all the time, one day at a time.

Yeah, Bethesda accidentally made a quest about not being a selfish douche, so of course they fixed that ASAP.

Edit: actually, to go further, Bethesda made a quest in their Multiplayer Game that allowed all of the players to have a form of meaningful interaction with each other, so of course they fixed that ASAP.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 13, 2018