Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
is vagrant more than a convenience layer on top of your typical hypervisors (vmware, virtualbox, qemu)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Think of Vagrant like a shittier Terraform but more for your local virtualbox/hyperv or whatever.

I hardly use Vagrant at all anymore since Docker accomplishes the same thing.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Docjowles posted:

Current re:Invent status: Waiting in an hour long line to even register for the conference. Going to miss my first session. No food or coffee because everyplace that serves those also has an hour long line.

My coworker went to a different venue, was registered and had coffee in like 10 minutes. Currently researching the legality of murder in Nevada.

Lol I waited for 3 minutes at the airport to get my badge.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bhodi posted:

it's pretty nuts. I got in last night at 2am and got up early because I knew badge line was gonna be long

the shuttle busses are the most silly thing to me, it takes an hour to get ferried across the street because this city is hell on earth, it's like everything is done and designed in the worst way possible, deliberately

it's 4pm and feels like 10pm, i spent all day getting pitched to and what little I learned could have been conveyed in a 10 minute blog post read; i want to pull the plug on this entire week

Blinkz0rz posted:

Lol I waited for 3 minutes at the airport to get my badge.

Yeah I was aware of the airport option but we landed on Sunday after checkin had closed for the day. I'm just super annoyed that the Venetian had no line at all for registration, was also the only place you could get your hoodie and other misc swag, and had coffee available with no line. Whereas 90% of attendees were apparently at the Aria which was staffed by like 2 people. But whatever, I got through it and saw some cool sessions. I finally got food and caffeine at like 1PM :shepicide: Work then paid for a lot of good food and booze and I have gotten over myself.

Regarding the busses: don't lol. Schedule sessions within walking distance of each other. If you can't, enjoy the break. Do not use the bus, it only ends in sadness. This was true last year and it's not gonna get better with an additional 10k attendees or whatever. With the addition of the Bellagio as a venue, and pretending the MGM doesn't exist, I can pretty easily set up a walkable schedule for every day.

Edit: rereading that, this conference must be a complete nightmare for anyone with a physical handicap, and that sucks

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 27, 2018

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Gyshall posted:

Think of Vagrant like a shittier Terraform but more for your local virtualbox/hyperv or whatever.

Same, Vagrant are just a larger/slower alternative to docker containers for me at this point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vagrant fuckin owned when it first came out, but yeah, it's mostly been obsoleted at this point by better things.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i dont know why people would go to reinvent to learn things, its a vendor conference :thunk:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
joiners gotta join

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
dont blame me, i'm going to kubecon

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
The best part about reinvent is ending up drinking on someone else's dollar in a private lounge. The conference itself is secondary.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The best part of when I went to Velocity NYC last year was wandering around times square at 2 am with some British Fastly engineers after getting kicked out of the bar

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

The best part about reinventconferences in Vegas is ending up drinking on someone else's dollar in a private lounge. The conference itself is secondary.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gyshall posted:

Docker on Mac is still an absolute shitshow for any non-trivial networking configuration though

Methanar posted:

The best part of when I went to Velocity NYC last year was wandering around times square at 2 am with some British Fastly engineers after getting kicked out of the bar
I think that was the night I had to eject early because I couldn't shake that one Fastly engineer from the lounge

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 29, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're probably thinking of the australian one

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone else heading to/at DevopsCon in Munich? I am going even though my experience can best be described as being the dude who fixes the Jenkins, but I am hoping there will be some interesting stuff. It unfortunately looks like most of the entry level developer talks are in German, which strikes me as bizarre for an international conference, but there you go.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Biomute posted:

Anyone else heading to/at DevopsCon in Munich? I am going even though my experience can best be described as being the dude who fixes the Jenkins, but I am hoping there will be some interesting stuff. It unfortunately looks like most of the entry level developer talks are in German, which strikes me as bizarre for an international conference, but there you go.

I guess it would make sense in that if you're willing to travel for a devops conference, you're probably not entry level.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is there a better place to ask Docker questions than this thread? I'm trying to pilot a hybrid swarm with a Linux and Windows node and I am running into weirdness with the ingress mesh networking. Both are running docker 18.09.0.

I have deployed a simple stack with 4 services on the windows worker, which are accessible from their published ports on the Windows worker only. My understanding of the mesh networking is that these published ports should be accessible from the Linux node as well, as they will just route traffic internally to the correct host. I also have a service on the linux host (swarmpit) that is not accessible from the Windows host on the published port.

Am I missing something with this setup? It looks like ingress mesh with swarm did not use to work on Windows at some point, but has been functioning since version 1709. Stack in question: https://pastebin.com/TqjKx97t

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 7, 2018

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are few dirtier words than "hybrid". its the "have your cake and eat it too" of tech.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the learning curve like on Spinnaker vs Jenkins?

Our biggest all from engineering is setting up a build and deploy per branch. Nothing too exotic, Java/Grails app monolith using Maven/ant, starting to break out things as separate services and microservices.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

They fill two different purposes. Spinnaker is a deployment tool and Jenkins is a build tool. They can definitely be configured to work together and Jenkins can do some deployment stuff but you're better off looking at them separately.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

StabbinHobo posted:

there are few dirtier words than "hybrid". its the "have your cake and eat it too" of tech.

Yeah I opened an issue on the docker for win git page and got acknowledgement that nothing is really wrong with my setup and it ‘should work’ but Windows containers are really just a crapshoot in this case.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hadlock posted:

What is the learning curve like on Spinnaker vs Jenkins?

Spinnaker kills me because it's a great UI for deployment, but unless we just have a terrible implementation where I work, the API isn't versatile enough to start automating new deployments. Clicking through a UI just doesn't scale.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Spinnaker is also flaky as hell, I really can’t warn people to stay away enough. Depending on what you are doing I like keel or flux, and Argocd looks interesting as intuit is basically rewriting spinnaker because they didn’t like it.

There is an api though.

And spinnaker vs Jenkins, spinnaker uses Jenkins to execute most jobs so no matter what you are gonna end up running Jenkins.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

For what it's worth, every shop I've ever heard of actually running Spinnaker has an engineering organization led by someone who used to work for Netflix. It's a very complicated piece of software, especially if you're relying on a container orchestration platform to run your apps instead of baking AMIs, which is one niche where it doesn't have a ton of competition.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

We had one team use Spinnaker and its clunky and very slow, and we are a .NET/Windows company which doesn't fit as nicely into some of the products or practices available. Fortunately something magical happened last week: our infrastructure team obliterated the Spinnaker server because it had a "QA" tag and deleted all the backups as well. So right now that one team is being ported into ECS as the first goal in our "move all poo poo to containers" strategy.

Edit: We're probably going to restore Spinnaker but make it more ECS focused than huge Windows AMI focused.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 11, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone else use linters when writing scripts? Am I the only one?

VS Code has a linter for just about everything, including shellcheck/bash

I just imported a coworkers' 197-line build script, and the linter immediately picked up 52 issues, plus who knows how many trailing whitespace issues etc. I'm used to seeing 2-3 issues and a handful of linter ignore items.

I think vi/m is great for monkey patching poo poo, but holy hell code written there looks like rear end if you need to modify it later in a GUI-ful editor.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Lint or die trying

Terraform fmt or die trying

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

We have some extremely aggressive ESLint settings because Javascript is a foot cannon without it

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Lint or die trying

Terraform fmt or die trying

I'm always conflicted when starting at a new client whether to turn off format on save so I can just commit a drat change or die on that hill. When possible I add a terraform fmt to their pipeline and fail PRs if anything needs to be formatted.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Vulture Culture posted:

We have some extremely aggressive ESLint settings because Javascript is a foot cannon without it

use TypeScript

and then aggressively lint the hell out of it too

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
How do you guys do continuous prod deployments to systems that have message queue based communication and handle heterogeneous application component versions consuming from shared queues? In a synchronous processing world that'd be an endpoint handled by different versions of the service. We have a web request frontend, clients upload large artifacts separately (S3, their own hosting service, etc.), reference them in their API request, and processing is picked up asynchronously via SQS queues serialized as < 1 KB XML messages across several upstream services that self-report the status of their tasks to the primary Aurora MySQL DB. I'm trying to setup an architecture in AWS using a canary / blue-green approach using environment-specific SQS queues, load balancers, and instances but shared data stores like S3 buckets and DBs. DB updates to apps will be done by mutating their views, not by changing the actual underlying DB structures (the latency hit isn't measurable for us in tests so far). This would allow us to make a bunch of changes in production as necessary, cherry pick messages from queues to run through a deployment candidate's queues, and rollback changes faster than we do now (a deployment process straight out of 1995 but in AWS and with 90% of our services that can't be shut down on demand without losing customer data, which really, really, really is a pain in the rear end)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

How do you guys do continuous prod deployments to systems that have message queue based communication and handle heterogeneous application component versions consuming from shared queues? In a synchronous processing world that'd be an endpoint handled by different versions of the service. We have a web request frontend, clients upload large artifacts separately (S3, their own hosting service, etc.), reference them in their API request, and processing is picked up asynchronously via SQS queues serialized as < 1 KB XML messages across several upstream services that self-report the status of their tasks to the primary Aurora MySQL DB. I'm trying to setup an architecture in AWS using a canary / blue-green approach using environment-specific SQS queues, load balancers, and instances but shared data stores like S3 buckets and DBs. DB updates to apps will be done by mutating their views, not by changing the actual underlying DB structures (the latency hit isn't measurable for us in tests so far). This would allow us to make a bunch of changes in production as necessary, cherry pick messages from queues to run through a deployment candidate's queues, and rollback changes faster than we do now (a deployment process straight out of 1995 but in AWS and with 90% of our services that can't be shut down on demand without losing customer data, which really, really, really is a pain in the rear end)
LOL, we don't, one of our primary apps uses zookeeper which is a mid aughts piece of poo poo that requires the config file to have all the other nodes listed in the config file on startup and is brittle as hell, absolutely not designed for cloud or containers and because everything relies on it, we have to bounce the entire thing every single time. There's no wedging some legacy apps into the blue/green canary deployment framework no matter how much you want to. They'd take a complete rewrite.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Bhodi posted:

LOL, we don't, one of our primary apps uses zookeeper which is a mid aughts piece of poo poo that requires the config file to have all the other nodes listed in the config file on startup and is brittle as hell, absolutely not designed for cloud or containers and because everything relies on it, we have to bounce the entire thing every single time. There's no wedging some legacy apps into the blue/green canary deployment framework no matter how much you want to. They'd take a complete rewrite.

people will ask for this kind of thing all the time without grasping the scope of the effort needed to make it happen

usually comes down to "do you want to stick to the runtime and release schedule this thing was designed for, or do you wanna pay a team of devs to rewrite it?"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bhodi posted:

The 3.5 series has a dynamic reconfiguration API that can do what you want, but it's probably a couple months out from a stable release

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

necrobobsledder posted:

this somewhat impossible recursive chasing of a way to abstract away a state assumption is, in large part, why kafka was invented.

jury is still out on if thats a good thing (i lean yes).

sorry that doesn't really help you though because "rewrite everything to upgrade from rmq to kafka" is about as helpful as "install linux problem solved".

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Exhibitor is pretty nice and, while not perfect, is pretty much the only way to run zookeeper IMO.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zookeeper 3.5 seems to have been in prerelease since dinosaurs roamed the earth so I am not holding my breath for that one.

(We still run 3.5 in production lol because it actually has functional support for certificate authentication)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Bhodi posted:

I've written enough Puppet and Chef code to deploy Hadoop clusters that I'm quite familiar with that song and dance. It's gotten a little better as mentioned above but honestly Zookeeper's just not designed for a situation where its nodes went up and down all the time. Honestly reminds me way too much of the issues with scaling out Nagios and having to reboot it every time I added a node.

I was asking about CD for apps that would in theory use Zookeeper and how to deal with two different apps using a known shared topic in a fan-out MQ configuration. More importantly, I'm just trying to figure out how to make some form of automated deployments not completely suck half your work hours as a very expensive deployment bitch when you really, really don't trust your application developers to not blow production SLAs with a regression on every commit. The approach I'm advocating is to have a deployment candidate re-deploy to the non-live production variant and we give it no traffic and keep it from ever touching a shared queue and drip-feed it messages. This is kinda why I was asking about service discovery way back - we could also point or setup circuit breakers for live-running applications to new SQS queues to support deployments that shift traffic from one queue to another, but it looks like changing running software configuration is just not happening, so it's back to config file edits, restarting, and so forth. Oh, and all the while making sure we don't do a restart around the top of the hour. It's like I'm herding a farm of mogwai.

Worst part is that most of this software was written from 2012 - 2014 so they should have known better. But this is what happens with founders that haven't worked at decent software shops despite being smart otherwise.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
We had a proxy that sent live traffic to the prod deployments and a copy to the candidate, and the candidate's responses were blackholed. Then we just watched error rates on the candidate to test its worthiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
With AWS load balancers we can’t mirror requests like if we were running nginx or haproxy. Heck, I’d take iptables. But goreplay seems like a tool worth looking at with some modifications for our needs. We have some PII issues not to mention GDPR that might make this all a no-go though. I’d say spending my time writing some data masking tooling and shoving requests to our numerous test environments would be more worthwhile than trying to do something that can’t be done by design.