Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ETPC posted:

y'all ever get really bummed out and depressed at how id's release of the source code for all its games up to doom 3 meant that each game (yes even doom 3) was able to be taken care of by its community and cultures were built around those games and lots of awesome and really cool deriviative works were formed from those games, leading to life changing things (holy moly! so and so map designer is now lead producer on AAA title!) for those communities and how it was like a bright shining beacon of how to treat your games when their commercial life has been expended

but then no one followed in their footsteps and guarded their code and tools like they were biological diseases that can never escape, leading to hundreds of games that are basically abandoned forever.

Every single day.

Open-sourcing your poo poo eventually should be a legal requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think to Duke's credit the level designers understood using colors and other objects to guide the player. Switches are chunky and cartoon looking, locked doors and card readers are brightly lit, and enemies have some kind of visual tell you can see from far away like the pig cop glowing eyes.

Redneck Rampage is not just ugly its level design is flat out bad.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Duke3D's color palette and engine features work really well with urban environments, at least. It was a nice showcase of what the Build Engine was capable of.

But for some reason it doesn't play nearly as nice as Doom or Quake for me. Maybe the weapons lack some oomph, I'm not sure. Not too fond of those alien bastards either.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m surprised the best version of Duke has yet to be described. Here’s what you do..the movie starts with Duke leaving earth to fight aliens in the 90s. He doesn’t age on their spaceship and while he’s kicking rear end, the world turns. Eventually he comes home and he’s still exactly the same, but the world isn’t. He doesn’t fit in, he can’t get a job, chicks think he’s reprehensible, etc etc.

Then out of nowhere, the aliens are back! And this goofy anachronistic rear end in a top hat is the only thing that can stop them! Earth watches begrudgingly as he takes on alien scum while chomping on a cigar and getting nothing but groans from his one liners. Give him a male counterpart like Paul Rudd to be like “dude you can’t say that poo poo anymore,” and “stop patting kids on the head and winking at them, pedophiles do that poo poo man!” Also a female lead whose way more into Rudd than Duke and Duke’s trying constantly to impress her with no success.

Basically a movie version of the BroScience YouTube channel.

This movie writes itself.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The two main game engines used for everything these days are essentially freely available to amateur developers. Game studios don't release the main code anymore because they don't own significant chunks in the first place.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo is one shotgun away from Duke Nukem.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where's my fuckin Johnny Bravo movie it would be so great

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

chaosapiant posted:

I’m surprised the best version of Duke has yet to be described. Here’s what you do..the movie starts with Duke leaving earth to fight aliens in the 90s. He doesn’t age on their spaceship and while he’s kicking rear end, the world turns. Eventually he comes home and he’s still exactly the same, but the world isn’t. He doesn’t fit in, he can’t get a job, chicks think he’s reprehensible, etc etc.

Then out of nowhere, the aliens are back! And this goofy anachronistic rear end in a top hat is the only thing that can stop them! Earth watches begrudgingly as he takes on alien scum while chomping on a cigar and getting nothing but groans from his one liners. Give him a male counterpart like Paul Rudd to be like “dude you can’t say that poo poo anymore,” and “stop patting kids on the head and winking at them, pedophiles do that poo poo man!” Also a female lead whose way more into Rudd than Duke and Duke’s trying constantly to impress her with no success.

Basically a movie version of the BroScience YouTube channel.

This movie writes itself.

Man you're just describing fuckin Demolition Man

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Which is perfectly fine, to be entirely clear.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I bought Dusk now that it's in full release but so far, I'm not feeling it. I'm on the third level, about 30 minutes in. The controls feel great, and I thought I'd love it because I love classic and 2016 Doom, but I'm just not feeling this overall. It feels very cramped to me, and too fast for how little space I'm moving around in so far. I thought there'd be more open areas and strafing and jumping around; does that happen later on or will it be mostly like this?

I realise my discomfort might be because I didn't grow up with OG Quake. And it's possibly leaning too far into the horror feel (sound, mostly) for my tastes.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 13, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man you're just describing fuckin Demolition Man
gently caress. I knew it seemed familiar. But yea, Demolition Man is a classic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Artelier posted:

I bought Dusk now that it's in full release but so far, I'm not feeling it. I'm on the third level, about 30 minutes in. The controls feel great, and I thought I'd love it because I love classic and 2016 Doom, but I'm just not feeling this overall. It feels very cramped to me, and too fast for how little space I'm moving around in so far. I thought there'd be more open areas and strafing and jumping around; does that happen later on or will it be mostly like this?

I realise my discomfort might be because I didn't grow up with OG Quake. And it's possibly leaning too far into the horror feel (sound, mostly) for my tastes.

Consider skipping to e2.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Artelier posted:

Honestly if you're not a fan of Quake then you're probably not gonna like Dusk.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a fair amount of open areas in episode 1, it's just not all the time. the later episodes also have a mix of cramped quarters and big spaces to shake it up. if you're wanting to circle around everything all the time you'll probably be feeling a lack of chances to do that in more than a few of the setpieces.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Gobblecoque posted:

Posssibly true, but... there's some similarities but I haven't found it to be extremely Quake-like through ep 1. Haven't quite hit ep 2 yet. So far it feels like kind of more 3D take on Blood maybe?

But it's fun for me, I'm glad I got it. I don't mind that it's ugly-ish; it does remind me of really early custom Quake or Duke maps/mods in that way. The only thing about its aesthetic that still ouches my eyeballs is the overuse of garishly colored glows and clouds. The movement and shooting and exploring/routefinding is entertaining regardless.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Have a minor news dump:

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

now lets talk no one lives forever.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

al-azad posted:

Let me tell you about this game called Blood...

Blood's hitscanners have some kind of "accuracy" in their code or something, I don't know but you can dodge and duck and they miss you a lot and the weapons felt a lot more powerful than duke3d's.

Blood's Pre-Caleb protagonist though:

Woof

Vikar Jerome posted:

Romero just streamed some stuff from E5M3 and it looks fantastic. holy poo poo that soundtrack.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348219753

So he's finally decided he's bad at running a game company and making games and gone back to what he was good at?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pope Guilty posted:

Consider skipping to e2.

I'm going to give it to level 4 and if I'm still not feeling it I'll do this, thanks!

Gobblecoque posted:

I've only really played Q3 and QChampions, and those have a vastly different feel. I don't exactly dislike OG Quake, more like I've never played it and only seen videos. But yeah, I'm just not used to the overall speed and level design, feels too cramped. I'll give it another hour or so, I just thought I might be missing something.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Do play OG Quake sometime, it's still absolutely worth revisiting.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Johnny Law posted:

Posssibly true, but... there's some similarities but I haven't found it to be extremely Quake-like through ep 1. Haven't quite hit ep 2 yet. So far it feels like kind of more 3D take on Blood maybe?

Some of the style is more like Blood, especially in episode 1, but the gameplay is much more like Quake than any other classic FPS.

Artelier posted:

I've only really played Q3 and QChampions, and those have a vastly different feel. I don't exactly dislike OG Quake, more like I've never played it and only seen videos. But yeah, I'm just not used to the overall speed and level design, feels too cramped. I'll give it another hour or so, I just thought I might be missing something.

Yeah I'm referring to Quake 1, not 3 or Champions. Also what the heck man, play Quake at some point.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Flannelette posted:

Blood's hitscanners have some kind of "accuracy" in their code or something, I don't know but you can dodge and duck and they miss you a lot and the weapons felt a lot more powerful than duke3d's.

Woof

God almighty, that looks like a really rough BJ circa Wolf3D (darker hair, of course). He's even got the same grey sweater. Glad they got rid of that garbage.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 13, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dusk has a good mix of confined areas and big open areas, but broadly episode 2 has more open areas. i dont know that its any more confined than other fps games of the era

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Woof

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God almighty, that looks like a really rough BJ circa Wolf3D (darker hair, of course). He's even got the same grey sweater. Glad they got rid of that garbage.

I always thought that was supposed to be a prison outfit and not anything BJ put on willingly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I hear it in the serious sam bomber scream. :allears:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So total newbie level question here but how the hell do you get the Doom Neural Upscale stuff working with gzDoom, I'm not seeing a pk3 or a wad or anything to import through launch options or ZDL or any other launcher so I feel like I'm missing an important and likely easy step

Anyone else using it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good soup! posted:

So total newbie level question here but how the hell do you get the Doom Neural Upscale stuff working with gzDoom, I'm not seeing a pk3 or a wad or anything to import through launch options or ZDL or any other launcher so I feel like I'm missing an important and likely easy step

Anyone else using it?
Just load the ZIP file like it was a PK3.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hmmm, felt like I tried that and it still wouldn't work, but I'll give it a shot again when I get home later

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

Have a minor news dump:
*snip*

That's a neat tidbit on the Blood ownership. As for the Doom 3DO port... everyone's got a hobby I guess...

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I finished watching that Half-Life documentary that was posted earlier. It was really good! Honestly maybe 20 minutes too long but the ending was a bit :smith: with all the Episode 3 talk and how the community is trying to complete what Valve can't/won't.

One thing I had forgotten about that was covered was Counter-Strike Condition Zero and how much of a cluster-gently caress that was. I remember seeing previews for it in 2001-2 and being really excited! Counter Strike with great offline bots, updated maps, weapons, and graphics? Sign me up! Then of course it went through like 5 different studios and by the time it landed in 2004 everyone was waiting for Half-Life 2 / Doom/ Unreal2K4, ect and it was a giant wet fart. I received it as a birthday present and it was, predictably, unremarkable. The offline bot challengers were interesting, graphic upgrades were OK but it's still clearly a Goldsrc game, and of course the "Deleted Scenes" missions were garbage. Though I did like how the hostages would escape on their own on the CS maps if the terrorist team wasn't properly guarding them. I wish they had kept that feature with CS: Source.

Except that apparently it still has decent player numbers on Steam? :psyduck: that part blew my mind a bit.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aren't the Deleted Scenes from one of the earlier versions too, I'm not surprised they scrapped it given how boring it was but the end result had me thinking at the time that Valve needs to do a better job managing their games if they're gonna outsource development like that

They did solve that issue by simply not making games anymore :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I still have cz installed on my old lovely laptop when I get the hankering to play done old school cs. The ai is decent enough and the challenges to complete the missions give you something to actually try for

And if nothing else cz gave us left 4 dead so that's a major plus

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Aren't the Deleted Scenes from one of the earlier versions too, I'm not surprised they scrapped it given how boring it was but the end result had me thinking at the time that Valve needs to do a better job managing their games if they're gonna outsource development like that

They did solve that issue by simply not making games anymore :v:
Deleted Scenes was the first version of Condition Zero, by... Ritual, I believe. When it landed mediocre reviews pre-release, Valve actually withdrew it (which must have thrilled Sierra, their publisher at the time) and had a small studio called Turtle Rock build something smaller and more botmatch-y atop Ritual's version of the multiplayer.

Supposedly there was a version of CZ before the Deleted Scenes version, being done by Rogue Entertainment (Strife, American McGee's Alice), but then they went bust and shut down and I don't think anything was ever shown of that version.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Deleted Scenes was the first version of Condition Zero, by... Ritual, I believe. When it landed mediocre reviews pre-release, Valve actually withdrew it (which must have thrilled Sierra, their publisher at the time) and had a small studio called Turtle Rock build something smaller and more botmatch-y atop Ritual's version of the multiplayer.

Supposedly there was a version of CZ before the Deleted Scenes version, being done by Rogue Entertainment (Strife, American McGee's Alice), but then they went bust and shut down and I don't think anything was ever shown of that version.

Actually the bot mode came from Gearbox which worked on it after Rogue, but then Gearbox and Valve had a falling out over creative differences and it went to Ritual with the single-player campaign angle. It then went to Turtle Rock after being pulled by Valve because the reviews were piss poor.

As I said before the whole development was FUBAR.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I always thought that was supposed to be a prison outfit and not anything BJ put on willingly.

Oh most likely, since he breaks out at the beginning of the game. Beats an orange jumper or pair of striped pajamas. Might even be designed by Hugo Boss.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Also I found this neat magazine scan of a 2001 issue of Computer Gaming World featuring the first screenshots of Condition Zero. It doesn't mention Rogue by name but I believe this is the version they worked on.

http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/issues/cgw_204.pdf

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Finished up episode 3 of Dusk and holy poo poo that was good. Every level is crazier than the last. Also Dusk has the coolest powerups. The climbing thingy is amazing, slow-motion is very impressive even if it's not always particularly useful, and :blastu:"The effects of the fast fire totem will stack":blastu:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, I watched the gameplay video for Dusk and wasn't enthusiastic. It definitely reminded me of Quake 1, and I didn't really care for that game. It was one of the few games that my brother finished before I did. Once he told me that there wasn't any big awesome boss at the end - not even one like the shareware episode boss, I lost interest in finishing it. It was only a couple months ago before I got back to Quake 1 and finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
More info on Witchfire. I am very interested in this one, I can't wait to hear more.