Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman Annual #3 is really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It looks like Damned is written and drawn by the same guy who did the “Joker” graphic novel. Is it as good? Or good at all?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

I haven't read it yet, does he get Batman in the sense that he needs to be miserable in order to be Batman? :v:

https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/status/1072361113327726593

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Yeah, I'm an idiot. :smith:

Tom King was the guy that did the increasingly bonkers run on Earth 2 right? After Robinson departed.

Edit: Man I just can't win tonight. :suicide:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 13, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

Yeah, I'm an idiot. :smith:

Tom King was the guy that did the increasingly bonkers run on Earth 2 right? After Robinson departed.

That was Tom Taylor. The Superior Iron Man Tom.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

chaosapiant posted:

It looks like Damned is written and drawn by the same guy who did the “Joker” graphic novel. Is it as good? Or good at all?

It's a stealth sequel to Joker. I never liked Joker and the book is heavily leaning into shock value then anything worth exploring.
Art's still great though and character redesigns are interesting. I would say avoid but maybe you if you liked Joker you can find something interesting out of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm stuck at work and haven't read anything yet. How good is the Batman stuff between the new Detective, the Batman Annual and Da Batman Who Laughs?
This also looks like the week we'll see Jon Kent aged up for the first time :ohdear:

edit:
jeez

Does anyone actually write bad reviews of single issue comics, though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Probably for events, books people buy just because it's supposed to be "important."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So goddess mode is off to decent start, i was worried it was gonna have newbie writer syndrome with the amount of dense words bubbles in the first few pages but that seemed to go away as the issue moved on. The art in the azoth sequences at the end was overly pretty to the point where the action taking place was sort of incomprehensible to me tho

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's a stealth sequel to Joker. I never liked Joker and the book is heavily leaning into shock value then anything worth exploring.
Art's still great though and character redesigns are interesting. I would say avoid but maybe you if you liked Joker you can find something interesting out of it.

I actually really did like Joker. It totally wasn't "Joker" as I think he should be portrayed as he was more closely related to the Burton/Nicholson mob-boss Joker (with the Ledger design) but I still enjoyed it. I'll look into it. Even if it gets weird and shocky for shock's sake, I'd still read it once to say I did. I'm pretty open to reading any Batman poo poo with the exception of anything Miller writes that isn't TDKR or Year One.

Edit: What is this "Batman who laughs" that I keep hearing about? is this a one off graphic novel/trade paperback? Or is this a whole new run or what?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: What is this "Batman who laughs" that I keep hearing about? is this a one off graphic novel/trade paperback? Or is this a whole new run or what?
It's a mini-series spinning out of Dark Nights: The Metal, where one of the Dank Multiverse Evil Batmans (Evil Superman Batman, Evil Aquaman Batman, Evil Flash Batman, Evil Green Lantern Batman, in this case Evil Joker Batman) who worked for the Evil Batman God has escaped to Regular Earth and is plotting against Regular Batman. There is also Evil(?) Punisher Batman running around, and the set-up after the first issue is that Regular Joker's heart has a chemical in it that when he dies turns someone else into Joker. This is how Evil Joker Batman became the Batman Who Laughs. Regular Joker sneaks into the Batcave and kills himself so that Regular Batman becomes Good Joker Batman to fight Evil Joker Batman.

Despite what I just wrote in the spoiler space, I actually enjoyed this book. People were complaining about how there's kind of Realistic Batman and Big Superhero God Batman and personally I'm fine with either interpretation but it's a really tough needle to thread trying to do both simultaneously. The bulk of Snyder's Batman doesn't work for me because it's a Serious Man Experiencing Serious Trauma In a Serious City that happens to also have giant Joker mechs and magic metal and Prometheum serums and eternal evil Owl Mummies in this very serious city you need to take seriously.

When he pushes all the way in one direction (some of the smaller stories in his main Batman run, or just full-on grimy action like much of All-Star Batman) it's a lot better, and the first issue of Batman Who Laughs reminds me of that first All-Star arc with Batman and Two-Face handcuffed together, hunted by hundreds of assassins, jumping from biplane to biplane and revealing that Batman trained strenuously to become a master of both chainsaw combat and chainsaw sculpting. If you liked that, you might like this?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Sure. Damned #2's at an overall 7.4. This week's WW's at a 6.7.
Comics on comicbookroundup don't get nearly as many reviews to average out as other types of media on, say, metacritic, but the spreads aren't totally higher.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Vertigo/YA thread fell into archives so I guess I'll post this here: the first issue of Goddess Mode came out yesterday and it's a visual treat! I really liked Robbie Rodriguez's art on Spider-Gwen but he really went above and beyond on this one. (Props to Rico Renzi for the colouring too)

It's worth checking out, in my opinion. I can't say too much about the writing yet, but I'm intrigued to read more for sure.

e: I forgot to timg the image, woops.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 13, 2018

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Zoe Quinn is the writer though?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

^burtle posted:

Yes. I liked the first issue quite a bit. It's definitely got a bit of the previously mentioned first time writer syndrome with the early exposition dumps, but it was still interesting. I'm excited to see where it goes now that we're into the meat of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:stare:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

That blur effect looks like garbage.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

^burtle posted:

... and?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's this nrw ninja for MK11 called?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

frameset posted:

That blur effect looks like garbage.

It's like those Mossimo shirts that would always hurt my eyes back in grade school.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Endless Mike posted:

I assure you that they do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I assure you that they do.

It's your own fault for making comics that aren't completely derivative of what they read when they were 12.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Batman Annual was super good. Reading it was like one big long breath of fresh air. That was also kinda sad. And intense. But still.

So I gave Dan Abnett the...fourth?...try now that My Love Kyle Rayner is apparently a regular on Titans. It actually ain't a bad book at the moment; the team is treated as a serious and competent team, and their mission is given a lot of gravitas as well. I'm probably gonna regret it, but for now I'll...cautiously...give it another go.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I contend that Abnett is a good writer and the first bout of his Titans run was doomed to failure because DC wanted it to fail. Now that he's not writing a bunch of characters they actively hate or involved in a plot he's not allowed to write about he gets to just do what he wants.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's a bit of an ironic statement considering editorial ripped Nightwing from him, dropping Kyle as a last second replacement.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's a bit of an ironic statement considering editorial ripped Nightwing from him, dropping Kyle as a last second replacement.

Forced sudden changes suck but that's a lot different than an overarching mandate of what the story must be about that he has said changed on him from a month to month basis. This is going back to Titans Hunt, mind you.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Jason is now a wall eyed jawa.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah Batman Annual was super good. Reading it was like one big long breath of fresh air. That was also kinda sad. And intense. But still.

Nthed. Nice little self-contained story that was surprisingly emotional, and Taylor still managed to sneak in some funny dialogue to boot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Annual was another "Day in the life of Alfred" stories which, while not completely original, is still nice from time to time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Abnett is a good writer but when he and Lanning were still teaming up they were top tier.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If y'all wanna read another good Tom Taylor Batman (but actually Detective Chimp) story, get this https://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-secret-files-2018/batman-secret-files-1

I know Tomasi just started, but a Tom Taylor Detective Comics run where it's mostly one-and-done stories would be the dream.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

So I gave Dan Abnett the...fourth?...try now that My Love Kyle Rayner is apparently a regular on Titans. It actually ain't a bad book at the moment; the team is treated as a serious and competent team, and their mission is given a lot of gravitas as well. I'm probably gonna regret it, but for now I'll...cautiously...give it another go.

This. The plots are coming together with what’s going on in WW/Justice League Dark and things are making a lot more sense in hindsight. I was pleasantly surprised by this last issue, and it didn’t feel like Rayner was shoehorned in at the last minute (though I can see how they might’ve slotted him into the plot with the little detour they just took it still makes sense with what’s been going on).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

yeah starting at #23 Titans trades the generic superhero melodrama for a more Young Adult by way of Warren Ellis type of team book and it's just really fun to read, like with Aquaman, Abnett used the opportunity of a relaunch to figure out a cool new angle on the characters, and that's paid off, because it's the first time maybe ever that I've enjoyed Donna Troy

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ElNarez posted:

yeah starting at #23 Titans trades the generic superhero melodrama for a more Young Adult by way of Warren Ellis type of team book and it's just really fun to read, like with Aquaman, Abnett used the opportunity of a relaunch to figure out a cool new angle on the characters, and that's paid off, because it's the first time maybe ever that I've enjoyed Donna Troy

Donna was great back in 90s lantern before the Dark Angel malarkey

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/thatpetewoods/status/1074399000856473601

Whoever decided this style wasn't one worth using in the series needs a kick in the balls.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
In comparison to the other examples you've posted that folks have been relentlessly dunking on, that looks pretty solid. I'm real weird about styles I like though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.cbr.com/batman-detective-comics-arkham-knight-first-look/

quote:

DETECTIVE COMICS #1000 is highlighted by an original story from the team of writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Doug Mahnke that not only launches a new story arc but introduces a new version of the Arkham Knight to DC comics canon. Tomasi is no stranger to this character, having written his video game origins in 2015’s BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT – GENESIS miniseries.

No word on whether it'll be a new guise for our pal Jason Todd, like it's revealed to be in the game.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 18, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was excited for that book until right now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something else: Diamond has asked the companies to delay their solicitations to be closer to Diamond's own Previews publication, which might have worked out for DC cause they'd been all set to announce newly disgraced Border Town writer and alleged sexual abuser, Eric Esquivel (see the Industry Terribleness thread for details) as the new writer for Nightwing. Presumably this was the plan before they cancelled his Vertigo book the other day, and it likewise wouldn't go ahead.
Except the original solicit has leaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeesh, we're now in a timeline where Scott Lobdell's solo writing is preferable. Weird.