Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

It's a big fleet, I have two and this is one of them, it's a bit less on this one. Still feels unreasonable. Hopefully this image works
I can take a screenshot of the other when I get home but I mean the individual ships are 100 but even 4500 seems like a shitload for what are quite small upgrades.

Oh right. I thought you had a ship that was 100 to build new to 4500 to upgrade to, which would have been nuts. It's hard to say if 4500 is a lot without knowing what it'd cost you to build that fleet new or how much the designs are changing, but I talked about how the cost is calculated a couple of posts ago if you're interested.

Libluini posted:

Maybe this means we're getting warp drives back?

Are you crazy? What about the Warp beasts? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Everyone seems to have forgotten about Victoria's Secret - including Wiz. Guess Paradox wasn't all that eager to break I to the creepy visual novel dating game market... Do want to know what he's moving on to though. New franchise maybe? Aren't both CK2 and EU4 nearing the end of their lifespans?

When I read about the announcement I thought they meant podcat was stepping in, which was very confusing. But the HoI team is still intact so that good. Donno who this new guy is but he's apparently been very involved with the game so I'm sure we're still going to see great things.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Minor UI bug in the beta patch (and probably the live one too): when you have the Dev Swarm tradition that gives you an extra building slot, the "unused building slot" icon appears while you're colonising a world.

[edit] not consistently - it's there on one of my current colonising planets but not the other

There are some other issues with planets in the process of being colonized. I'm pretty sure once I was able to move a pop to a world that was still being colonized, and it started a new pop growing before the process finished. It also instantly caused a low stability warning on the planet.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

LordMune posted:

@dmoregard/grekulf/whatever you wish to call him became game designer when Wiz became game director of Stellaris, and they've been working on righting this ship together ever since 1.0.

You'll see slightly less of Wiz, but I wouldn't worry about the game's development trajectory suddenly changing. Moregård's not a goon though, so now Darkrenown and I are your only direct points of contact with the team!

Where shall we begin!

I kid, I kid. Do wish Wiz the best! Even if he's likely to see it here too. The game has kept getting better and better under his direction and I cannot wait to see what he'll cook up with the new [redacted] project.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stellaris 2.2: The word for Wiz is goodbye

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A Paradox Genie appears and says he will grant you one of two wishes for a CK2 meme/feature brought over to Stellaris. Do you wish for:

1) Glitterhoof
2) The Satan Hole

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Archenteron posted:

The Assassination Of Martin Anward By The Coward Martin Anward

LordMune posted:

@dmoregard/grekulf/whatever you wish to call him became game designer when Wiz became game director of Stellaris, and they've been working on righting this ship together ever since 1.0.

You'll see slightly less of Wiz, but I wouldn't worry about the game's development trajectory suddenly changing. Moregård's not a goon though, so now Darkrenown and I are your only direct points of contact with the team!

no it's a setup! they're forcing him to do this :tinfoil:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Archenteron posted:

A Paradox Genie appears and says he will grant you one of two wishes for a CK2 meme/feature brought over to Stellaris. Do you wish for:

1) Glitterhoof
2) The Satan Hole

We already have number 2 thanks to Darkrenown, but maybe we need a Glitterhoof army to come out of the portal.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Are there any good guides for getting back into this? I haven't played since 2.0 and want to know things like are corvette swarms still the way to go? What are the trap unity picks?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So it looks like I can colonize any old size 15+ planet regardless of habitability then name it a Resort World and it immediately jumps up to 100% habitiability as if it became a Gaia world?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

binge crotching posted:

We already have number 2 thanks to Darkrenown, but maybe we need a Glitterhoof army to come out of the portal.

wait what

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are there any good guides for getting back into this? I haven't played since 2.0 and want to know things like are corvette swarms still the way to go? What are the trap unity picks?

Both of those are the least of your worries in 2.2.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wishing Wiz all the best because he deffo brought up The Good poo poo in the stuff he worked on and now I am hypebeasting - while Victoria 3 might not come, we all know that paradox has that economic focused grand strategy coming up and stellaris was just another step towards it

new director has a badass name going for him, at least

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

Oh right. I thought you had a ship that was 100 to build new to 4500 to upgrade to, which would have been nuts. It's hard to say if 4500 is a lot without knowing what it'd cost you to build that fleet new or how much the designs are changing, but I talked about how the cost is calculated a couple of posts ago if you're interested.

Ah poo poo sorry, I'll check it out. It just FEELS expensive when I feel like I'm swimming in alloys but I still somehow can't afford to upgrade, I dunno.

Thanks for the help anyway Darkrenown.

binge crotching posted:

Did they say what he is moving to?

Victoria 3 confirmed

Since Wiz made the CK2+ mod I'd absolutely see him at the head of CK3.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Crete LP 2

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Victoria's Secret - including Wiz.

But everyone was just celebrating this meaning Victoria 3?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Takanago posted:

Crete LP 2

I think they are remaking their Rome game, so it could be true!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Taear posted:

Ah poo poo sorry, I'll check it out. It just FEELS expensive when I feel like I'm swimming in alloys but I still somehow can't afford to upgrade, I dunno.

Thanks for the help anyway Darkrenown.

Since Wiz made the CK2+ mod I'd absolutely see him at the head of CK3.

It's going to be really, really interesting to see PDox try to make CK3/EU5. CK2 and EU4 have had so much attention that any sequel is going to seem completely barren on release; it'll be like the Civ problem but x1000.

Like, the quality and scope of the games at this point is so high/large that any sequel by comparison is going to be a hard sell. It's going to have to happen at some point just to take advantage of Clausewitz advancements but geeze I wouldn't want to be on the marketing staff.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Victoria's Secret - including Wiz. Guess Paradox wasn't all that eager to break I to the creepy visual novel dating game market... Do want to know what he's moving on to though. New franchise maybe? Aren't both CK2 and EU4 nearing the end of their lifespans?

When I read about the announcement I thought they meant podcat was stepping in, which was very confusing. But the HoI team is still intact so that good. Donno who this new guy is but he's apparently been very involved with the game so I'm sure we're still going to see great things.

That's my hobby project, it has no affiliation with Paradox.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

hobbesmaster posted:

aka "Stellaris 2.2 on Earth"

All joking aside, I'm going to be kind of pissed if V3 ends up looking like Stellaris 2.2.

Discrete pops, linear population growth, all-manual economy? Noooo thank you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradox often makes test games before moving onto the big real project. 2.2 was the test to see if paradox remembers how to do more complex class-based economies. I wish Wiz good luck on Victoria 3.

Actually I hope it's something totally nuts, like wiz has burned out on map games and is heading up Paradox's new tactical first person shooter team.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Taear posted:

It's a big fleet, I have two and this is one of them, it's a bit less on this one. Still feels unreasonable. Hopefully this image works
I can take a screenshot of the other when I get home but I mean the individual ships are 100 but even 4500 seems like a shitload for what are quite small upgrades.

That's about 77 alloys per ship, which is probably half or less what you're paying for a corvette at this point. Replacing that fleet is probably going to run you 20k.

How big were the changes?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

One of the potential alternate dimensions is one hostile to all sapient thought. I think if you're spiritualist you have the option to fill the portal full of rocks. I forget the specific requirements on that, I got it once with a subversive cult empire(Satan Corp) so I wanted to exploit the poo poo out of it but that multiplayer game ended fairly early due to real bad spawns.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Takanago posted:

Crete LP 2

:helladid:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TGLT posted:

One of the potential alternate dimensions is one hostile to all sapient thought. I think if you're spiritualist you have the option to fill the portal full of rocks. I forget the specific requirements on that, I got it once with a subversive cult empire(Satan Corp) so I wanted to exploit the poo poo out of it but that multiplayer game ended fairly early due to real bad spawns.

one of the best ones was a first colony portal that was worth 17 physics and 8 energy, that's quite a boost

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Wiz who walks away from Stellaris

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Wiz did good poo poo for Stellaris so I'm interested to find out what the new project is in a couple years.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I just spent all my resources on bidding on the Galactic Market Host.

I hope its worth it lol

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Preston Waters posted:

I just spent all my resources on bidding on the Galactic Market Host.

I hope its worth it lol

I think it's a 10% discount on market fees. If you use the market a lot it'll pay for itself pretty quickly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The new game is Victoria 3 and nothing anyone says or does can convince me otherwise and it will be the greatest game ever made and the insane expectations will in no way ruin things.

:ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

That's my hobby project, it has no affiliation with Paradox.
Congrats on the move, i hope you continue to make great things!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's about 77 alloys per ship, which is probably half or less what you're paying for a corvette at this point. Replacing that fleet is probably going to run you 20k.

How big were the changes?

My corvettes are going from level 2 lasers to level 3.
And my destroyers are going from Plasma 1 to 2.

I wouldn't say it feels huge, it definitely wouldn't have cost much or taken much time before.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's something odd for sure with upgrades. I'll get like a new reactor type or new sensor type and pay a high but understandable upgrade cost. But other times it seems like I'm paying for the whole fleet and then-some. And absolutely slower than just building a new fleet.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Wiz is taking a break to make Reign of the Ancients mod for imperator rome, after being disappointed with the developments there :P

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought I was researching major upgrades but when I'd complete an upgrade, their combat rating would just go up by like 2% or some poo poo and it only took 5 years and 5000 alloy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bug in beta patch: Getting the devouring swarm malus twice for each empire.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
maybe i mised this in earlier posts, but are the Discovery traditions still the best ones to max first? i've tried Exploration but i feel like my research got behind a bit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yo Wiz, as far as I'm concerned you saved the gently caress out of Stellaris, so good luck with your next project!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I thought I was researching major upgrades but when I'd complete an upgrade, their combat rating would just go up by like 2% or some poo poo and it only took 5 years and 5000 alloy.

Yeah, upgrading doesn't feel right. I think someone upthread calcuated that you're better off deleting your ships and building new ones, because the maintenance you save is more than you save by upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

CoolHandMat posted:

maybe i mised this in earlier posts, but are the Discovery traditions still the best ones to max first? i've tried Exploration but i feel like my research got behind a bit.

I think everyone has hard switched to expansion now.