Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Can anyone explain why modern GR tron fell out of favour for mono-G? Getting my Karns while they're cheaper and I realized I'll have everything needed for the current lists.

Red doesn't really add anything but does give you a crippling weakness to colored mana issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Can anyone explain why modern GR tron fell out of favour for mono-G? Getting my Karns while they're cheaper and I realized I'll have everything needed for the current lists.

suicidesteve posted:

Red doesn't really add anything but does give you a crippling weakness to colored mana issues.

Pretty much this. The only thing the red was good for were sweepers, and Oblivion Stone and Ugin are just better sweepers in the current meta.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Mana is better and green is all tron needs right now. K return was basically the only reason to play it but it turns out it’s bad against most things right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Wicked Wall posted:

I might be mistaken but the main pull of red is that deck was for Pyroclasm (and later Kozilek's Return), which has fallen way out of favor in the last couple of years. You also now have Walking Ballista for your targeted damage removal needs and it's more in-line with the deck's focus of "make lots of colorless mana and kill your opponent with it". Can be picked up with Ancient Stirrings too!

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Thanks all, that makes sense. Guess I'll have to leave my full-art pyroclasms in the folder for now. Looking like I actually need to get another copy of Ulamog, the cheeseless burger as well.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The Wicked Wall posted:

more basics means more resilient to unlimited rear end trophies and assorted land destruction?

Edit: oh wow there was a whole 'nother page of answers that I missed

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Brownhat posted:

A professional player with multiple GP and SCG Open Top 8s, including 2 Open wins. A writer for multiple Magic sites, and a streamer.

I've literally never heard of him in 4+ years of caring about magic way more than most people have in that time. Glad he's not on my radar.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Wicked Wall posted:

You need to be able to cast your tutors and ancient stirrings more reliably and the card "field of ruin"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShaneB posted:

I've literally never heard of him in 4+ years of caring about magic way more than most people have in that time. Glad he's not on my radar.

He's got awards going back to 2009.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lone Goat posted:

i watched this guy's stream once many many years ago and he 100% comes across as the kind of guy to flip out over misspelling The Beatles

He always reminded me of that acquaintance everyone had in high school that would argue about anything with anyone and was needlessly pedantic at all times. People would respect their knowledge but no one was actually friends with them because they were insufferable to be around. They also would bring their school stuff with them to class in a second hand store briefcase for some unknown reason.

I remember him debating his twitch chat about completely irrelevant things and I think he would time people out when he felt like they were getting too heated - aka winning the debate or making a point that he couldn’t win an argument against.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I'm really skeptical about using MMR in a "pay-to-play" mode with prizes. People are going to alternate between "sandbag raredraft" and "beat on noobs".

But it has to be better than the current matchmaker; it has given me mono-easy-wins for a while now. For some reason, it rates my "Sarkhan+Hoard into Niv+Bolas" deck as an F, when it's more like a B - I'm literally playing Bronze 2 players with precons.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

jmzero posted:

But it has to be better than the current matchmaker; it has given me mono-easy-wins for a while now. For some reason, it rates my "Sarkhan+Hoard into Niv+Bolas" deck as an F, when it's more like a B - I'm literally playing Bronze 2 players with precons.

On Monday, with my "make a good deck out of these precons for quests" UR and WB decks, I played against an actual full Jeskai Teferi control deck with shocks and all, a Golgari Midrange deck with full Vraskas, Carnage Tyrants and checks (didn't see any shocks) and some nearly mono-blue deck with a million counterspells and apparently splashing for Teferi. Good times.

Then I tried to draft Dominaria and came up against someone with two Shalai and a Damping Sphere. Did not feel good losing to Damping Sphere in draft.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

On Monday, with my "make a good deck out of these precons for quests" UR and WB decks, I played against an actual full Jeskai Teferi control deck with shocks and all, a Golgari Midrange deck with full Vraskas, Carnage Tyrants and checks (didn't see any shocks) and some nearly mono-blue deck with a million counterspells and apparently splashing for Teferi. Good times.

Then I tried to draft Dominaria and came up against someone with two Shalai and a Damping Sphere. Did not feel good losing to Damping Sphere in draft.

I've had the exact same experience in draft, where my opponent had 5 bomb mythics and a damping sphere and unsurprisingly beat me. Did any of their recent announcements include a real draft queue or just better bots aka poo poo.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your opponent beat you even though they were playing lovely cards like damping sphere? drat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Your opponent beat you even though they were playing lovely cards like damping sphere? drat.

They paid 2 mana and discarded a card and I lost because lol bot drafting.

e: I guess I saw a P3P8 Adeliz so maybe I could have forced UR Wizards and got somewhere.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Marketing New Brain posted:

I've had the exact same experience in draft, where my opponent had 5 bomb mythics and a damping sphere and unsurprisingly beat me. Did any of their recent announcements include a real draft queue or just better bots aka poo poo.

nothing about a real person draft yet. really hope it's in the works. They "improved the bots" yet again by making them draft semi randomly instead of being blue white from the beginning and picking only blue white cards or w/e

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
They should have drafting against real people in the Bo3 draft and keep using the bots for Bo1.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

ShaneB posted:

I think that's around the time he kind of faded from the scene. He was a pretty well known grinder like 5-7 years ago. Pretty sure he did some fill in commentary for SCG too. I don't remember a whole lot about him other than he used to get pissed if someone Brainstormed in a way he deemed incorrect.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol History of Benalia is so good

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I still can't believe how terrible the ladder is. The rewards and number of games required to reach them is absurd.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
holy poo poo I got loving destroyed in constructed queue last night. I've been getting a consistent 7 wins for weeks but yesterday variance hit and I went a quick 0-12 in games playing that bad punisher burn deck.

But wow the pairings and variance gods had it in for me. constant pair ups against selesnya lifegain (featuring T3 Shalai's a plenty), and every swordpoint diplomacy let me draw 3 land. (including a game where I cast diplomacy on T3 and T4 and drew 6 land) I also faced a Lyra with a curious obsession on it.

what a time to be alive folks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Randaconda posted:

lol History of Benalia is so good

History into History is just so back-breaking.

Reprint Annul.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

History into History is just so back-breaking.

Reprint Annul.

I played History into History into Benalish Marshall earlier and dude scooped

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 13, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I played History into History into Benalish Knight earlier and dude scooped

Benalish Marshal. Benalish Knight was last printed in Tenth.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TVsVeryOwn posted:

You didn't know about Arena allowing certain cards from older sets that fit within current Standard themes?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I played History into History into Benalish Knight earlier and dude scooped

Right now I might as well scoop to History - or Adanto Vanguard or Viashino Pyromancer. I have nothing in my deck for any of that - I've removed all my Fiery Cannonades and Soots and Cast Downs because they're all pointless when the game only matches me against control.

Arena ladder is really weird, and I'm glad they're fixing it... but I will kind of miss being able to choose my matchups.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

You didn't know about Arena allowing certain cards from older sets that fit within current Standard themes?

Bwuh?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TVsVeryOwn posted:

poo poo, my bad.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The best is temple->llanowar, plains->history.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You guys should just play Bo3. You get to keep those soots and cannonades in your sideboard and wreck aggro. Ladder rewards aren't worth having to play Bo1. You can get out of bronze if you want, and maybe even climb up to gold, but nobody except streamers or pro players are going to get out of gold, the win rate required is nearly impossible.

Basically just play Bo3. Its a whole different game, and also the way the game was designed so it'll feel so much better. Also individual games in a match count for daily quests so you'll get your rewards just as fast!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wonder if they'll push Bo1 for paper play in the future. What sort of mega-mulligan would it need?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They put the ladder patch on hold because the torches and pitchforks came out over the ICRs so continue on as normal now.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

zoux posted:

They put the ladder patch on hold because the torches and pitchforks came out over the ICRs so continue on as normal now.

lol yeah they must have been shocked just shocked that people reacted negatively to having all the rewards taken away. Who could have seen it coming

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1073267579483901952

Gustav posted:

lol yeah they must have been shocked just shocked that people reacted negatively to having all the rewards taken away

The three options, as I see it are:
1. They literally are that dense
2. They were trying to see if they could get away with it
3. They were never intending to implement this exact nerf but they were going to nerf it so they proposed the draconian one first so they could "roll it back" and still nerf it, just not as bad, and seem like good guys

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gustav posted:

lol yeah they must have been shocked just shocked that people reacted negatively to having all the rewards taken away. Who could have seen it coming

They will, without fail, figure out exactly how little they can give out per dollar put into the system, and maximize profits. It's pretty much their entire job, they just have to disguise it better.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It'll be fun when they eventually roll out a 5th copy solution, and prune back the economy to make up for it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShaneB posted:

I still can't believe how terrible the ladder is. The rewards and number of games required to reach them is absurd.

Did they change the reward scheme? Half the reason that Arena was OK was because you were getting close to 2 packs a day average over a week (3 packs/week + ~1250G/day is almost 12 packs a week) plus 72 solo cards means that you could end up filling in your decks PDQ even if you didn't play the constructed roulette wheel to try to skim some extra cards and gold. Packs cost more in real money than they do buying them at my local shop, so there's zero reason to buy scratch offs you can't even redeem for real money if you win.

Is MtGA trying to lose to Hearthstone now? Because pissing off your audience by make rewards worse is going to send people back to that dumpster fire again.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

It'll be fun when they eventually roll out a 5th copy solution, and prune back the economy to make up for it.

I mean, duh. The CE structure right now is extremely generous, I don't think anyone expects them to keep it the way it is. You combine that with dupe protection or whatever the 5th card solution is and people would be able to fill out collections on the cheap. Which may be what we want, but it ain't what Hasbro shareholders want. They're going to be exactly as generous as they have to be to maximize revenue, but that's how every game company is. You think DWD doles out Eternal rewards because of the goodness of their hearts? They do it to attract players. (Which is why it's dumb to jack up the reward structure for Arena imo; it needs to be attracting players right now)

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 13, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ladder stinks because the part everyone hates about HS ladder (trying to coinflip your way from 5 to Legend with no winstreaking) is half the ladder. That's just how it stands now, and I'm sure they'll rejigger things once the first couple of seasons go past and 25 people make it to Legend each season and nobody in draft makes it out of gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

I wonder if they'll push Bo1 for paper play in the future. What sort of mega-mulligan would it need?

imo they could expand on the current system but instead give you scry 2 at 4 and 3 cards, and scry 3 at 2 and 1 cards