Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yep. But the reason I mention it as why I think NuWolf decided to slap that disclaimer on is that the BNS Werewolf they were involved with took the 'actually, the garou nation were also victims of the war of tears' stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I mean, when the black spirals theatrically swoop in holding the skull of the raid leader's sister in their hands and go "BWAHAHA TWAS I ALL ALONG YOU FOOLS!" It's understandable to see where they may have gotten that reading.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

I mean, when the black spirals theatrically swoop in holding the skull of the raid leader's sister in their hands and go "BWAHAHA TWAS I ALL ALONG YOU FOOLS!" It's understandable to see where they may have gotten that reading.

Sure, but it's also a reading that shunts the actual responsibility for a genocide away from its active perpetrators.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh for sure.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Frankly? I’m pretty sure they called it Head Storyteller. Same job description and responsibilities as far as I can tell.
Yeah, I was going to say that Ericsson seemed to be doing most of the stuff that this Brand Manager would be doing.

I think this is part of the process of gently replacing/sidelining him, in fact, since it seems like more or less all of his duties are going to be either subsumed by or directly supervised by the brand manager.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Mors Rattus posted:

Frankly? I’m pretty sure they called it Head Storyteller. Same job description and responsibilities as far as I can tell.

Oh I'm sure that's what Paradox thought he was supposed to be doing. But brand managers at least theoretically are supposed to be paying attention to current trends in the market, making sure their brand still resonates, and looking for new avenues to grow it. Whereas Sweddrac basically took his larping experience and decided that if he did that but canon, everything would be like it was in the 90s for the WoD. Which, presuming that the market will morph to whatever you want it to be is certainly something I have seen brand managers think, but usually ones who are at big behemoth companies like microsoft or intel, not brands 20 years removed from their heyday.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

The Red Talons were communicating entirely by modulating the word "Rage" in various tones.

relatable

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, like that Chinese poem, the Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Desiden posted:

Oh I'm sure that's what Paradox thought he was supposed to be doing. But brand managers at least theoretically are supposed to be paying attention to current trends in the market, making sure their brand still resonates, and looking for new avenues to grow it. Whereas Sweddrac basically took his larping experience and decided that if he did that but canon, everything would be like it was in the 90s for the WoD. Which, presuming that the market will morph to whatever you want it to be is certainly something I have seen brand managers think, but usually ones who are at big behemoth companies like microsoft or intel, not brands 20 years removed from their heyday.

His time trying to play that role can be described as "baffling" at best and "negligently self-indulgent" at worst.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Desiden posted:

not brands 20 years removed from their heyday.

clearly this was only the result of failing to center larpers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We need to consolidate the larp data centers.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Stay away from the data centers. WoD data is the path to madness.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

His time trying to play that role can be described as "baffling" at best and "negligently self-indulgent" at worst.

The White Wolf brand was a vanity purchase. The particularly baffling thing is that he was able to convince a company that he did not work for at the time to make said purchase for him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the White Wolf IP has value, and arguably to maintain that value you need to keep up good relations with the existing fanbase by doing something not unlike what they were doing.

The problem was that they (well, he) were determined to enforce their own vision instead of just continuing to do what the original creators were doing, and that vision horrified about six fans for every one who was interested. If they had used all the money they'd blown on V5 to instead hire full-time developers for every cWoD product line, they'd be in a very different position.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The White Wolf brand was a vanity purchase. The particularly baffling thing is that he was able to convince a company that he did not work for at the time to make said purchase for him.

I thought he was part of Paradox when WW was purchased?

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, the White Wolf IP has value, and arguably to maintain that value you need to keep up good relations with the existing fanbase by doing something not unlike what they were doing.

The problem was that they (well, he) were determined to enforce their own vision instead of just continuing to do what the original creators were doing, and that vision horrified about six fans for every one who was interested. If they had used all the money they'd blown on V5 to instead hire full-time developers for every cWoD product line, they'd be in a very different position.

Extremely this. As someone who has known about the WoD games since the late 90's and didnt get into them until recently (mostly this thread honestly) V5 sounded like an awesome idea when it was first announced and while I wasn't expecting it to do D&D 5e numbers, I figured it might bring a bit of buzz back to WW.

They succeeded in causing a buzz, just for all the wrong reasons.

Maybe the RPG gods will smile on us and OP will be handed the reigns of WOD 3.0 and everything will be great.

Probably not but at least Deviant is coming and CoD stuff seems to be doing fine so at least there's that (until it's taken from us because we can't have nice things)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

I've said it a couple of times, but this whole enterprise just feels like Ericsson going "I WILL make my home game canon!"

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
For the life of me I still cannot understand why they didn't try to onboard Obsidian for a WoD PC game.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Ironslave posted:

For the life of me I still cannot understand why they didn't try to onboard Obsidian for a WoD PC game.
Possibly they did but it fell through. It's not like either of them were going to put out a press release saying "Well, we were going to make this game, but we couldn't work out a business arrangement which made sense for both of us so the project's shelved for the time being".

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, like that Chinese poem, the Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den.

RAGE is a tonal language!

Ironslave posted:

Same! My best guess is they approached them and Obsidian were like "uh we're about to announce an attempted Fallout killer and also we're being bought by Microsoft atm but we're very touched you asked."

Kurieg posted:

This is legit why I call the whole thing affinity fraud - the only thing that makes any goddamn sense to me is the "you're Swedish, I'm Swedish, eh, eh?" line of reasoning.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

I thought he was part of Paradox when WW was purchased?

It's my understanding that his friend was working for Paradox and convinced them to buy the brand and bring Martin on. He might have been brought on briefly before they bought the brand.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kurieg posted:

It's my understanding that his friend was working for Paradox and convinced them to buy the brand and bring Martin on. He might have been brought on briefly before they bought the brand.

Digital Osmosis posted:

This is legit why I call the whole thing affinity fraud - the only thing that makes any goddamn sense to me is the "you're Swedish, I'm Swedish, eh, eh?" line of reasoning.

That makes much more sense. It's hard to remember all the details of this absurdity because it seems like every time you think it's reached peaked stupid, NuWW says "HOLD MY BEER" and proceeds to gently caress themselves further.

Dawgstar posted:

I've said it a couple of times, but this whole enterprise just feels like Ericsson going "I WILL make my home game canon!"

I'm 100% behind this theory because it's the only logical explanation for all this dumb poo poo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

According to Martin's Linkedin, he started at Paradox in April of 2015, the Aquisition was announced in October. But "White Wolf" at the start was just Him and His Friend Tobias for the longest time.

Like I understand that he worked at CCP for a time on the MMO, but I use Windows. that doesn't mean that you can or should make me CEO of Microsoft.

And Martin seemed to go out of his way to antagonize everyone who didn't agree with his new edgelordy vision. To the point that their community manager physically removed the microphone from his hand more than once at the grand masquerade just so he would stop answering questions.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Tollymain posted:

clearly this was only the result of failing to center larpers

Weirdly, of all the idiot moves nuWW has made so far, that was the one concept that I could actually see as semi-plausible. It'd be a gamble, but at least there would be some data to back it up. The euro-larp scene apparently is more elaborate and has some money behind it, and has been pretty into the oWoD. Coming in and arguing that re-focusing the brand to catering to that would at least be recognizing a market and trying to focus on it. But instead most of their decisions were made out of some made up belief that WW and OPP had failed the oWoD, and ignoring actual TT industry trends. I'd love to know what Martinsson and pals promised Paradox the return would be on buying the IP. Given how many of their ideas were wishful thinking, I could see them promising some absurd market share and revenue in the tens of millions that was never going to happen.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Again, it doesn't seem wierd at all in a european context. It's very likely that at least some of the paradox people are mostly familiar with roleplaying as a whole as, you know, larping. Sure, if you think larping is some wierd niche thing, then WW's actions seem completely unreasonable, but that's not how it is in europe. in denmark, nearly as many kids larp as play loving football; there are huuge loving larping events every year, and relatively recently, a new industry of blockbuster larps kicked off.

Also, Martin has done transmedia stuff before, notably The Truth About Marika, a transmedia ARG/Television series thing which, in adition to its transmedia stuff, ran on swedish national televison. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_About_Marika) All in all, it's really just in hindsight that we can see how it all went hosed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That does beg the question that how interested the wider European LARP market - ostensibly the thing Martin has his finger closest to the pulse of - was in nuWW.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wraith and Changeling the Dreaming style guides have been added to Storytellers Vault, so soon you'll be able to publish, for money, your Sonic OC kith!

Also, after contacting their customer support about missing fonts in their templates, I was told that the files had been updated. And they have not. Nevertheless, people have been publishing new products that utilize the indicated fonts. They're probably getting them from various (illegal) font sites, and one in particular from the font packs on Ian Watson's personal website. A+

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Which one of you is this

https://twitter.com/emilyyoshida/status/1073322360835579907

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Does Speed Cuff from Police Tactics actually do anything? It says 'Against an Immobilized opponent...' but when you look at the rules for grappling, the Restrain action that you use to Immobilize someone ALREADY includes ziptie or cuffing them. I'd assume it's a mistake and the intent of the merit is that you can make the Restrain action reflexively once you have used an action to Hold the enemy.

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, Handcuffs even have their OWN set of rules for how to restrain someone with them, which is that applying handcuffs or zipties is its own action in a grapple.

Can someone sort this out for me?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Emily Yoshida rules and her new podcast Night Call is very WoD-adjacent.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Had this wander across my Twitter feed and I thought I'd share it:

https://twitter.com/yumabooma/status/1073364233163685888

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

taichara posted:

Had this wander across my Twitter feed and I thought I'd share it:

https://twitter.com/yumabooma/status/1073364233163685888

Hahahahahahaha OMG.

That's.....wow. Well played.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Somewhere, right now, a Swede is being interrogated by his corporate overlords on how despite managing a brand for two years, he allowed a trademark in active use by that brand and which had never been out of use since the 1990s to be lost.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doesn't this also gently caress over Requiem?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Doesn't this also gently caress over Requiem?

Little bit, especially if he’s feeling vindictive, which...well, why wouldn’t he?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

As far as I am aware (and I talked to a lawyer I'm related to) he's unlikely to be able to wield this trademark against written RPG text, unless he can show there's any consumer confusion between his trademarked Gangrel persona and the Gangrel vampires that appear in the World of Darkness books.
In which case it would be unlikely to matter at all, except inasmuch as the nuWW team can feel like immense, staggering idiots for failing to lock down their trademark.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I mean, this is an incredible resume for Martin now.
* Caused an international incident
* Lost a core brand identity trademark
* Had to apologize for accidentally coding nazi stuff into his game
* Alienated large swathes of the fanbase
All in the space of two years!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Joe Slowboat posted:

As far as I am aware (and I talked to a lawyer I'm related to) he's unlikely to be able to wield this trademark against written RPG text, unless he can show there's any consumer confusion between his trademarked Gangrel persona and the Gangrel vampires that appear in the World of Darkness books.
In which case it would be unlikely to matter at all, except inasmuch as the nuWW team can feel like immense, staggering idiots for failing to lock down their trademark.

I mean I think the copyright holder, the wrestler whose stage persona is a vampire named Gangrel, could absolutely make the case that the vampire group called "Gangrel" infringes on his intellectual property, the identity of a vampire called "Gangrel".

Only because US copyright law is so profoundly loving stupid though, which is why you really don't want to lose your hold on it if it's at all possible. Which holy poo poo it should have been trivially easy not to lose this case, but here we are.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's only a trademark, though, not copyright - so I'm not sure he can actually sue them on that? Maybe Clanbook: Gangrel.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No, see, he has the trademark on his identity, which is a vampire wrestler called Gangrel, and he has the copyright on the name "Gangrel", so if they make a book that includes the name "Gangrel", which he holds the copyright, to refer to vampires, which his character Gangrel is, he could argue that it is using his copyright to violate his trademark identity, which is again a vampire named Gangrel.

Could he *win* that argument? gently caress if I know, but you should never let yourself get in that position in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I imagine the guy at CCP going
"Oh and by the way you need to continually fight off copyright claims by this American wrestler dude. No Martin stop walking away, this is serious. Well gently caress it not my problem."

But this is a seriously bad look for someone who is ostensibly the biggest White Wolf Superfan. Or whatever he's calling himself now that he's been demoted.