Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Imagine Clownpiece delivering Christmas presents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

a cartoon duck posted:

everyone who decides to abbreviate Clownpiece as "Clownpi" is a bad person, morally

We call her The 'Piece

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a cartoon duck posted:

everyone who decides to abbreviate Clownpiece as "Clownpi" is a bad person, morally

Short for Clownpiss

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I love this

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

after Joker, it's not impossible

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
she's been in more games on nintendo platforms than joker and a lot of the roster

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Reimu would be no joke a stellar pick mechanically and representative of a genre that has no reps so far.

The only "aerial zoner" character that exists is Mii Gunner, basically, so Reimu would be mechanically unique and there's no shoot em up reps. Also I swear against everything that Sakurai is probably a fan, based on absolutely nothing except that he plays literally all video games that exist and he loves shoot em ups

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Reimu being possible in smash makes 2018 / 2019 brighter imo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, I mean, if they already put Shantae of all things into it...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why is shantae considered this out of left field weird thing

it's a nintendo based series it has like five? games

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

If Reimu goes in Smash, it's gotta be ZUN-art Reimu. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

voltcatfish posted:

Reimu being possible in smash makes 2018 / 2019 brighter imo
Sans Undertale is probably more of a possibility than reimu

undertale outsold Dragon Quest 11 on PSN in Japan so it's definitely known there and with the switch port it's totally possible

or Papyrus as a playable character, Sans assist trophy where he breaks the game with his moves, or Annoying Dog assist trophy where he absolutely avoids damaging everyone, dodging them as hard as possible before flying offscreen(stealing a smash ball if one's around)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain Invictus posted:

Sans Undertale is probably more of a possibility than reimu

undertale outsold Dragon Quest 11 on PSN in Japan so it's definitely known there and with the switch port it's totally possible

or Papyrus as a playable character, Sans assist trophy where he breaks the game with his moves, or Annoying Dog assist trophy where he absolutely avoids damaging everyone, dodging them as hard as possible before flying offscreen(stealing a smash ball if one's around)

I'm reminded of that awkward/funny moment in the ZUN/Toby interview where ZUN points out that Undertale is far more popular worldwide than Touhou is, so it was a little weird that Toy was idolizing him so much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a link? Sounds amusing. Also, it rules that Toby got to meet an idol of his due to his success, reminds me of this classic of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2K_8Ff41M&hd=1

toby is really good at music(also humor) even when doing it on the fly

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a link? Sounds amusing. Also, it rules that Toby got to meet an idol of his due to his success, reminds me of this classic of his

Here's the interview in Japanese.

Here's my highlights reel.

I don't know if the whole thing has been fully translated.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is so loving adorable omfg

quote:

ZUN notes that when he visited America everyone seemed to be 2-3 times bigger than him, but Toby is scrawny, just like him.
And

quote:

In high school Toby made a piano arrangement of Necrofantasia by ear and played it for his church summer camp, receiving a standing ovation. ZUN response is more or less “your church let you play something called Necrofantasia?!”
Had me guffawing

Thanks for doing those, they're great. It's really fascinating how alienated from the internet scene ZUN is, I always took it to be obstinate, set in stone beliefs on his end, but this interview makes it seem more like he's incapable of comprehending the vastness of a fandom despite having one of the largest indie fandoms in existence. The English translation bit really stood out, like of course people would want to understand things in their own language. I think he's probably more thinking about, well, [UNTRANSLATEABLE JAPANESE IDIOMS] but it's pretty doable to find a substitute for most things to make it work. The English translation fan patches got everything across fine, right? Interesting that he seems to think that sort of thing is sort of sacrilegious, instead of thinking "man, those folks must REALLY love those works to put that effort in!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What gave you the impression he thought it was sacrilegious? He isn't thinking about difficulty of translation or anything, and the line about 'would the fans even want that?' isn't some kind of condemnation, he's just legitimately surprised by touhou's western fanbase.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, he's already said in past interviews he leaves translations to fans because they got that poo poo on lockdown already and would understand Touhou better than a professional translation team at this point. The fact he calls it part of the doujin spirit pretty much proves he's all in favor of it.

After Antinomy of Common Flower's official translation I can't say he's wrong, either.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
lol at the idea that the guy who makes the series that has the largest non-comiket doujin convention in japan (and therefore one of the largest conventions in the world,) that single-handedly keeps the doujin music scene alive, and stores dedicated almost solely to selling products from it doesn't understand the enormity of his empire

ZUN gets it, the secret is that he doesn't like doing things that are huge pains in the rear end. Before Steam became a wasteland? Putting stuff on there was a pain in the rear end. Putting out an official translation? For it to be official he has to be involved in some way, and he doesn't know English, and that's a pain in the rear end.

I'm reasonably sure if he were to stop considering Touhou a doujin series he would suddenly be presented with a titanic amount of legal troubles.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah, he's already said in past interviews he leaves translations to fans because they got that poo poo on lockdown already and would understand Touhou better than a professional translation team at this point. The fact he calls it part of the doujin spirit pretty much proves he's all in favor of it.

After Antinomy of Common Flower's official translation I can't say he's wrong, either.
Twilight Frontier (or their publisher) handled it incompetently. That's their fault. It's not like the moment you get paid for working on a translation, you instantly lose your Fan Credentials and all your work turns to poo poo. That would be grim news for several posters in this thread.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Touhowns.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Chang’e VI lander has made it into lunar orbit. In a month, it will follow up on the landing made by Chang’e III.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Would the lunarians be more or less mad at a human lunar mission named after one of their gods instead of one named after a sun god.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wild and Horned Hermit 48!

In case you ever wondered what Tenshi would be like as the detective in a police procedural.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Clarste posted:

In case you ever wondered what Tenshi would be like as the detective in a police procedural.

With that description I was worried she wouldn't be a little shithead. Thank goodness that's not the case.

:discourse:

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 13, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big fan of the investigative duo that is forming.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
smash confirmed

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Now that her body is gone, we can confirm Reimu is dead right?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

this entire chapter was pretty cool (character interactions, the mystery, the slight world building) but I think my favorite part was
Komachi's use of her power. It was presented in such a neat way!

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
To be honest probably like 50% of touhous have a power very well suited to breaking and entering

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
bad apple is a song from a twenty year old game

bad apple the shadow puppet video was made ten years ago

2hu is old

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Will mima be in smash

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

spirit battle conditions
- opponent is invisible

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Smoking Crow posted:

Will mima be in smash

Yea

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

spirit battle conditions
- opponent is invisible

Fight against blue Palutena, increased magic damage

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

So I heard Touhou was on steam now but I only see the two most recent Zun games I think? Does anyone have any recommends for anything else currently on Steam?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
ZUN keeps saying he will release older games eventually but it hasn't happened.

The new Tasogare fighting game, Antimony of Common Flowers, was also released. The rest of the fan games are of all different genres, so it more or less boils down to what you like.

Metroidvania: https://store.steampowered.com/app/851100/Touhou_Luna_Nights/
Roguelike: https://store.steampowered.com/app/931500/Touhou_Genso_Wanderer_Reloaded__TOD_RELOADED__TOD_RELOADED/
Ys-style action: https://store.steampowered.com/app/845880/Touhou_Scarlet_Curiosity/ & https://store.steampowered.com/app/776490/__The_Disappearing_of_Gensokyo/
Platformer: https://store.steampowered.com/app/961510/MarisaLand_Legacy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J9_W3j_0sk