Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fornite is goofy fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Monte said it best:
https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/1072928209887408128

The issue I see with that kind of competitive model is that it'll only be sustainable if your streamers maintain their interest in the game. Introducing game-breaking components the day of a $1 million dollar tourney is hugely off putting. Though I suppose Epic could just throw money at the bigger names in the Fortnite scene to have them play their game since they're making gently caress YOU money.

[edit]

Popero posted:

I think the problem is a lot of the competitive folks have a vision of Fortnite (pure, serious) that is different from Epic's (sort of goofy with major swings to "The Meta" based on newly introduced items), but since there is so much money behind these events, they feel compelled to play even if they're miserable. And since the game is so wildly successful, Epic can sort of just do whatever the hell they want.

e: I do hate the sword though :)

Yeah, pretty much this.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 12, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Besides, a game with these kind of shooting mechanics cant be that competitive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not every loving game needs to be an esport tho...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

People always flip their poo poo whenever Epic adds anything that changes any of the gameplay.
It would suck if they never added any of this stuff and the gameplay got stale. So what if it disrupts people's sperglord training and OCD learning every tiny little thing to do?
The sword doesn't make you invincible and there are downsides. Same thing with the planes and turrets and other things that everybody whines about all the time.
It makes the game fresh.

I mean, it's fine to change up the game and introduce new mechanics. That's great for the overall playerbase. No one is arguing that. What's not great is implementing those new components/mechanics the DAY OF a tournament where a significant chunk of money is on the line.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

codo27 posted:

Besides, a game with these kind of shooting mechanics cant be that competitive

Building and decision making are the high IQ plays that separate good Fortnite players from bad ones. Having good aim helps sure, but this game isn't solely an aim-based shooter. Fortnite is this weird, hybrid shooter/puzzle game thing with its building mechanics.

[edit]

MarcusSA posted:

Not every loving game needs to be an esport tho...

True, but you also have the option of not watching or having interest in the Fortnite pro scene. That said, I think the competitive Fortnite model Epic has been using in their Summer/Fall/Winter tourneys is trash tbh. The Friday Fortnite tournaments organized by Keemstar were way more entertaining.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 12, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

maybe this is a meaningless distinction, but the issue isn't that they added swords to regular matches. it's that esports takes place in regular matches. let gamblers have their own weird, separate LTM that isn't actually LT.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

maybe this is a meaningless distinction, but the issue isn't that they added swords to regular matches. it's that esports takes place in regular matches. let gamblers have their own weird, separate LTM that isn't actually LT.

Just let Sword be an LTM, like Fortnitemares should've been and Thanos was - that is literally the only issue here from gameplay perspective. I understand why Epic do what they do, but literally no one would complain about a Sword LTM. Ranked mode or any other special tryhard mode, however, with different ruleset, is definitely out of question. Nothing shows the game as well as having elite nerds play special tryhard mode for elite nerds - games must be consistently the same for everyone from the worst to the best players. This relatability is one of distinguishing feats of most popular spectator esports of last half a decade or so.

While generic patch day tournament would still be not great, that is something everyone would just deal with, especially since this patch wasn't some a drastic meta shift otherwise. It would've been perfectly fine, from tournament perspective, to just have the sword disabled as the Fortnitemares were for the Twitch Con.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 12, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just don't think **billion dollar esports** or whatever should have anything to do with how the regular game is run. Let them have their own game mode so no one has to worry about whether or not a patch will matter to those people.

e: I'm not the target audience of esports so I fully admit that I'm totally dismissive of their complaints. I do not care.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just don't think **billion dollar esports** or whatever should have anything to do with how the regular game is run. Let them have their own game mode so no one has to worry about whether or not a patch will matter to those people.

e: I'm not the target audience of esports so I fully admit that I'm totally dismissive of their complaints. I do not care.

Esports is marketing, and you can't market golden vacuum cleaner that can deal with gravel if all you sell to your customers is used green vacuum cleaner with full dust bag.

E: Patch schedule and tournament schedule are both dance fully to the tune of Epic, so it's their conscious choice to conflate the two and disable standard game modes. This is not some unsolvable problem of unstoppable force meeting immovable object.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is, for lack of better words, "common sense stuff". No one sane expects Epic to lay serious e-sports groundwork as expected from other games, the core game is just not there and cannot be feasibly convoluted since the selling point of it is straightforwardness and accessibility.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm just not with the times, and things that seem meaningless to me (streamers, esports) are apparently a big deal now to many people. My opinion isn't very relevant.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I’m out of the loop but is this tourney run by epic or being promoted by them?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m out of the loop but is this tourney run by epic or being promoted by them?

It's run by Epic. The past Summer/Fall Skirmishes and the Winter Royale are all officially sanctioned events organized and funded by Epic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

It's run by Epic. The past Summer/Fall Skirmishes and the Winter Royale are all officially sanctioned events organized and funded by Epic.

Ah ok the I change my vote that yeah they definitely shouldn’t have hosed with it.

I mean it’s kinda funny that they did but I can understand the frustration.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
They should just have a separate mode for the people who want to have a serious-face game.
This game is more like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", stop trying to make it into "John Wick".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nullsmack posted:

They should just have a separate mode for the people who want to have a serious-face game.
This game is more like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", stop trying to make it into "John Wick".

They could've just released the sword tomorrow, North American tournament circuit ends today.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

They could have just disabled the sword and planes for the Winter Royale instance, leaving the rest of the game modes alone. That's it. No one in the pro community would have complained. Epic disabled the zombie spawns and some items for the Fall Skirmish finals, no reason they couldn't do the same now.

[Edit] you understand that the Winter Royale finals are composed entirely of players who qualified during the preliminary pop-up event right? It's not just some random lobby.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 12, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm just not with the times, and things that seem meaningless to me (streamers, esports) are apparently a big deal now to many people. My opinion isn't very relevant.

I thought of a great cartoon but I can't draw poo poo. 5 or 10 years from now, homeless person begging on the sidewalk, holding out an iPad/phone, "please like and subscribe"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

I thought of a great cartoon but I can't draw poo poo. 5 or 10 years from now, homeless person begging on the sidewalk, holding out an iPad/phone, "please like and subscribe"

That’s already happening. Absolute bulk of full time content creators will be in for a rude awakening.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
The planes and swords actually are making this tournament way more interesting to watch so lol at the controversy

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man they really added a lot of new poo poo since I last played, planes and atv's both rule

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They could've just released the sword tomorrow, North American tournament circuit ends today.

The big deal is people who post on every Fortnite tweet on Twitter and a lot in the subreddits on Reddit and probably in other places bitching about every change.
Epic probably loves the controversy, so really this stuff helps them in multiple ways. They keep things fresh and the controversy probably drives more interest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The sword has really drained any urge to play, every match now just revolves around it in the worst way. Fortnitemares added an extra layer to the game and I think it was overall less disruptive to how you actually play compared to this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Super Rad posted:

The planes and swords actually are making this tournament way more interesting to watch so lol at the controversy

It made it more hilarious to see pro reactions, I'll agree. But it was definitely a blow to any kind of competitive integrity. That said, Epic likely did it on purpose because EVERYONE is talking about it. As the saying goes, any press is good press.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Picking up the sword in team rumble... takes away all your weapons when you die and respawn...

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Picking up the sword in team rumble... takes away all your weapons when you die and respawn...

Better stash a six shooter somewhere so you can take down the next swordsman.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I finally bought an XboxX and bought Fortnite with it like a dummy, so I'll have a nice stand-out Snow White skin in the forest

I'm looking forward to playing again, though!

Are Gliding 50's gone?

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Professor Shark posted:

Are Gliding 50's gone?

Sadly, yes, but in all limited time modes you can redeploy your glider like you could in Soaring 50’s.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I know sword chat is probably over, but I'm just glad I'm not the only one who doesn't give a poo poo about streamer/eSport events.

Yeah, maybe the sword was meant to shake things up in the tournament. You're apparently good enough at this video game to get a shot at a million dollars just for playing it, right? Maybe you should be able to adapt.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
That's the thing that gets me about all the complaints. The constantly shifting game mechanics are the gimmick of the game. Adapt or die.

The top complaint post on Reddit right now is this clip of someone trying to constantly build against the sword for like 30 seconds, only bothering to take a shot at the sword wielder at the very end. That is literally the exact opposite strategy that you need to use against the sword. Both the primary and secondary attacks have a mandatory delay as part of the animation where you cannot move or act, leaving you easily vulnerable to well-timed attacks. The primary attack has a diameter of about one building piece. The secondary attack is very difficult to aim. Get outside of where the sword can move and attack you, and shoot the guy. Or snipe from afar or use balloons, or use the biplane, or anything other than building structures and staying within attack range!

Yes the sword is overpowered, no it shouldn't be in every game mode, but if you aren't able to adopt your gameplay to an ever-changing set of circumstances, what are you even doing playing this game?

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
https://twitter.com/4thStreetPete/status/1072620221867966464?s=09 Definitely try counteracting the sword with balloons, as seen here. I'd been chasing this guy around the map since there were 10 people alive. All he could do was leap away once I put some damage on him, besides that he kept trying to build elaborate labyrinths close to where I'd be floating down to try and lure me in for some reason. Somehow he died to fall damage, but I would've had him eventually.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What happened with the Wreck it Ralph tie-in? I assumed there was going to be some kind of ltm, was it just that free dance?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
The dance and he'd show up on the drive in screen at Risky Reels every once in awhile.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Worst crop of challenges so far. And to top it off, fly to the mansion for the dance off and get shotted by some piece of navel lint streamer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/a5ybw7/lets_talk_about_the_infinity_blade/ Great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Turns out you only get a season 6 recap if you signed up for the newsletter. Which apparently I didn't. Signed up now but who knows if I'll get one. RIP.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kidding me? The sword will be nothing but a liability if you can't build or harvest

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't understand why they just don't throw mythic items into a 'Mythic' LTM. The gently caress is your deal Epic? Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

teagone posted:

I don't understand why they just don't throw mythic items into a 'Mythic' LTM. The gently caress is your deal Epic? Lmao.

That’s boring and the community knee jerks too hard.