Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It really depends on how you use Zbrush. There's been a lot of support for hard surface sculpting and modelling on it, but obviously it'll be beaten out by a dedicated hard surface tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah zbrush's hard surface tools are cool but not really conducive to precision like exact angles and distances. That said I'm pretty sure some people have done some incredible precise hard surface stuff with it

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sagebrush posted:

A better division would be: animate or inanimate objects? Rhino does organic forms well, but not living things. In Rhino you can easily (well relatively easily) model swoopy organic curves like car bodies or modern jewelry, but it's not really suitable for making realistic humans or animals. On the other hand, while I haven't used ZBrush in any professional capacity, I would imagine it's just as bad at building mechanical assemblies as Rhino is at making orcs.

I would personally go with Rhino but I'm also an industrial designer soo

I'm leaning Rhino as I wanted to also do jewelry design.

How well experience with one software crossover to another?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I'm leaning Rhino as I wanted to also do jewelry design.

How well experience with one software crossover to another?

Very little crossover, ZBrush is really weird

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

EoinCannon posted:

Very little crossover, ZBrush is really weird

Procedural modeling being hot garbage (outside of, what, Houdini? other engineering packages?) checks the same 'weird' box for Rhino. If your intent is more sculptural/iterative/one-off in nature, I'd probably lean toward Zbrush. If tolerances and fitment across multiple prints is critical, Rhino is keenly suited to that. The strengths of the package is what you're paying for (and what you're committing to), so maybe see which ones of those checks off more boxes?

e: it all depends on exactly what you're trying to create. making detailed organics in an engineering package sounds like my own personal hell.

e2: also, at small scales, the accuracy advantages of Rhino are going to get poo poo on by everything but the most high-resolution (and high-cost) printing processes.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 2, 2018

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Anyone else doing Ludum Dare? Some of Theory Studios is participating, me included.

The theme of LD is “Sacrifices Must Be Made”.

Ours involves stabbing a squirt gun into the heads of babies to use as ammo to fight off monsters, or something. Maybe not babies anymore but blobbies, this stuff moves too fast. Have to take a less active role due to prior commitments, but still getting to shade some assets and work with my old team again!

It’s gonna be a VR game again like our Winter UE4 jam “Ice Castle Hassle”.

https://twitter.com/theorystudiollc/status/1069032257371996167?s=12

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Apologies if this question has been asked, I’ve looked through the OP.

Looking to get into this as both a bit of a hobby and semi professionally (using 3D work with three.js and WebGL to create cool apps/web stuff). I’ve watched a boat load of tutorials on both Cinema4D and Blender, and tried out Houdini’s apprentice mode too. Not entirely sure which to go with and wanted to get the threads advice. I’m most interested I guess in particle/fx stuff and creating abstract animation.

I’ve also been told if I use cinema4D I should also get octane for rendering.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Houdini for particle/fx, Blender for general 3D work.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Is cinema4D just trash?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Handiklap posted:

Procedural modeling being hot garbage (outside of, what, Houdini? other engineering packages?) checks the same 'weird' box for Rhino. If your intent is more sculptural/iterative/one-off in nature, I'd probably lean toward Zbrush. If tolerances and fitment across multiple prints is critical, Rhino is keenly suited to that. The strengths of the package is what you're paying for (and what you're committing to), so maybe see which ones of those checks off more boxes?

e: it all depends on exactly what you're trying to create. making detailed organics in an engineering package sounds like my own personal hell.

e2: also, at small scales, the accuracy advantages of Rhino are going to get poo poo on by everything but the most high-resolution (and high-cost) printing processes.

Production will be 70/30% miniatures/jewelry (of that, most of it is inanimate/more structured units rather than blobby orcs and alien creatures).

I've been using a resin printer, the Photon, which can achieve remarkable detail at a small scale.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Ocrassus posted:

Apologies if this question has been asked, I’ve looked through the OP.

Looking to get into this as both a bit of a hobby and semi professionally (using 3D work with three.js and WebGL to create cool apps/web stuff). I’ve watched a boat load of tutorials on both Cinema4D and Blender, and tried out Houdini’s apprentice mode too. Not entirely sure which to go with and wanted to get the threads advice. I’m most interested I guess in particle/fx stuff and creating abstract animation.

I’ve also been told if I use cinema4D I should also get octane for rendering.

Do you have an idea of where you want the particle and FX stuff to go? I.e. is your goal to eventually break into doing particles for TV/Movies, or games, or your own art?

Houdini has gotta be one of the most in demand skills right now, especially in film and TV. I’m pretty sure those guys can charge like double my rate for the same length of CG experience, as the programs interface and workflow act as a natural “gatekeeper” of sorts.
Blender, while not as capable for particle sims, can still do amazing work (it’s my main CG program at the two studios I work with), but I’d definitely warn that it doesn’t have widespread reach, so it’s better for solo work at the moment. Highly recommend the Molecular Addon, as it gives you tension, separation+rejoining, and per-particle physics interactions.
I have no experience with C4D, but I know tons of artists that use it for MoGraph/commercials.

Here’s some little Blender particle test video I did last year, while doing R&D for a music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYOQblaiUQU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

Here’s some little Blender particle test video I did last year, while doing R&D for a music video.

I loved everything about this. Do you have more like it?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

Do you have an idea of where you want the particle and FX stuff to go? I.e. is your goal to eventually break into doing particles for TV/Movies, or games, or your own art?

Houdini has gotta be one of the most in demand skills right now, especially in film and TV. I’m pretty sure those guys can charge like double my rate for the same length of CG experience, as the programs interface and workflow act as a natural “gatekeeper” of sorts.
Blender, while not as capable for particle sims, can still do amazing work (it’s my main CG program at the two studios I work with), but I’d definitely warn that it doesn’t have widespread reach, so it’s better for solo work at the moment. Highly recommend the Molecular Addon, as it gives you tension, separation+rejoining, and per-particle physics interactions.
I have no experience with C4D, but I know tons of artists that use it for MoGraph/commercials.

It’s mainly my own art and fx work to translate over to webGL stuff. Maybe make some cool abstract animations to go along with my music production. I know that game fx artists are also in super high demand so that could be cool, but it’s just the start for me right now so I have no expectations of it going anywhere ‘full 3d’ professionally yet. It’s quite a unique thing to have on a full stack toolkit these days, atleast where i am.

Ty for the recommendations.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 2, 2018

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
A

lighthugger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone got stories of people getting hit with software piracy suits? Company or individuals

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
An old company I used to work at had around 15 pirated Max licences. Autodesk found out and sent them a very salty fine. I don't remember clearly what happened afterwards but I believe the Tech guy that installed the licences was sweated by management to quit but didn't as it was the top guys that made the call and didn't want to pay out the licence costs. That place was a trash fire when it came to mismanagement.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We got hit with one about 14 years ago, before my time. I was told this story by the CEO.
There was a somewhat senior staff member who encouraged IT to re-use photoshop licenses rather than license them properly. We were slightly less diligent with keeping track of things and extended a little too much trust to employees.
A short time later he was pushed out of the company for unrelated reasons (old friend turned bad, so was given until absolute breaking point before being fired), and as revenge promptly tipped off whoever it is you tip off about that sort of thing - knowing full well he was the only one responsible for it being that way and that nobody else outside of the one IT guy knew.
They came knocking and asked if they could do an audit - naturally, not thinking anything was wrong and assuming all licenses were in order, we let it happen. Ended up with a $500k fine. We were just coming off the back of a really successful run so it didn't put us under, but we came pretty loving close - and it wasn't long before the the recession hit a few years later.

Our CEO is still just as angry about it now as he was the day it happened. I think he'd genuinely hurt the guy if he ever saw him again.
He doesn't believe the decision to install unlicensed software was a forethought plan for that outcome, the guy fired was just opportunistic and made the decision after being told to leave.

We're a little more diligent with who gets to install software these days...

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 5, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
are they mostly finding out through the snitching hotline? Is there some backend way to know besides "oh hey we saw your showreel for that one Saatchi promo, thanks for name dropping our product. Say, your licenses in order? We notice you have X number of employees and yet our records show...."

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Autodesk are very good at finding that stuff out. So is Adobe. I heard it's thanks to plugins and installed weird stuff that they get that info (like the hello/bonjour uninstallable thingy apple installs on your pc when you get itunes).

Back when I was in school I was also told by the teacher that for every student he snitches, he gets something close to 4 grand. He never snitched but he mentioned that factoid a few times. I could imagine if people were to snitch they could make bank taking a cut on the ensuing audit.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 5, 2018

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I've heard Oracle tracks downloads of the VirtualBox extensions (which have a less permissive license than the open source core) and if too many updates happen from one place they will try to get paid.

But since it is all civil, just don't ever let anyone do the audit.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Foundry is very active in finding out who is using which versions of their products and for what purpose

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Odddzy posted:

Looks like the skin needs more work on the gloss/roughness, some bump, and some actual SSS. Even if the shader is an SSS, there's nothing coming through currently. the hair looks too even and doesn't have enough samples along the strands. you should have options to clump hair and frizz it a bit somewhere.

Absolutely. Too much spec and not enough bump. In this case it is lacking a normal map. SSS is tricky in Keyshot and a PBR workflow depends on proper scale. So - does anyone know how to achieve realworld scale from Zbrush to Keyshot and preferrably Maya?? Most stuff in Zbrush is in MILLIMETERS in size by default. So the translucency needs to be ridiculously low. Hair grooming definitely needs a LOT more work. Still getting the hang of both fibremesh and keyshot. Here are a couple of more experiments with look dev.

Currently playing with the curvature node in Keyshot and realizing it basically works as an advanced dirtmap / rustmap material. Pretty easy to use IMO but I haven't compared it to Substance Designer or Painter or Mari etc. Every renderer seems to have a learning curve when learning how the shaders work.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 6, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EoinCannon posted:

The Foundry is very active in finding out who is using which versions of their products and for what purpose

There are a ton of 'i got an email from the foundary after i tested nuke at home... How hosed am I?' threads on cgtalk, they're great.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

sigma 6 posted:

Absolutely. Too much spec and not enough bump. In this case it is lacking a normal map. SSS is tricky in Keyshot and a PBR workflow depends on proper scale. So - does anyone know how to achieve realworld scale from Zbrush to Keyshot and preferrably Maya?? Most stuff in Zbrush is in MILLIMETERS in size by default. So the translucency needs to be ridiculously low. Hair grooming definitely needs a LOT more work. Still getting the hang of both fibremesh and keyshot. Here are a couple of more experiments with look dev.

Currently playing with the curvature node in Keyshot and realizing it basically works as an advanced dirtmap / rustmap material. Pretty easy to use IMO but I haven't compared it to Substance Designer or Painter or Mari etc. Every renderer seems to have a learning curve when learning how the shaders work.

Sure, but I think you should tweak your character and repost him again. Working on other stuff and making metals and stuff is fine. But if you're just bouncing from thing to thing it could make you stagnate a bit at the beginner steps in shading a lot. Just my two cents.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was about to make a quick folding knife model to learn substance painter, does anyone know any cool looking folding knives?

is there a knife thread anywhere on SA?

Kanine fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 7, 2018

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Kanine posted:

i was about to make a quick folding knife model to learn substance painter, does anyone know any cool looking folding knives?

Just look at counter strike CSGO knives?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kanine posted:

There is - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Sure, but I think you should tweak your character and repost him again. Working on other stuff and making metals and stuff is fine. But if you're just bouncing from thing to thing it could make you stagnate a bit at the beginner steps in shading a lot. Just my two cents.

The cyborg girl was a demo but that cat skeleton is the beginning of an animation I am making for a NYE gig. Keyshot and Arnold are relatively new to me since I was so used to using mental ray for so many years. I need to get better with both and figure out the best workflow to move stuff between Maya / Zbrush and Arnold / Keyshot. I would like to find time to learn Blender or Houdini more for various reasons but most of what I know is rooted in Maya. Recently I discovered the FBX export plugin from Zbrush helps a lot if you don't have bridge for Keyshot. It saves a lot of time vs. exporting subtools as objs one by one. Also exporting the mesh from the transpose master plugin from zbrush to maya effectively allows you to pose extremely high poly stuff using Maya's rigging / posing. I find Zbrush's system of rigging with Zspheres to be clunky by comparison.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2018

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

goodness posted:

Production will be 70/30% miniatures/jewelry (of that, most of it is inanimate/more structured units rather than blobby orcs and alien creatures).

I've been using a resin printer, the Photon, which can achieve remarkable detail at a small scale.

I also got a Photon, pretty cool so far. 3d printing is finally at a level I feel is worth investing in. The medium takes some figuring out, so many variables.

cYn fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 7, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

cYn posted:

I also got a Photon, pretty cool so far. 3d printing is finally at a level I feel is worth investing in. The medium takes some figuring out, so many variables.

It has seriously been too much fun. I need to start painting them soon or I'll have another shelf full of unpainted miniatures.

I went through the green it came with and have been using Anycubic Black and Phrozen abslike grey (both work really well). If you have any tips or want some help feel free to pm :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, my current job (FX Lead) can be pretty frustrating most of the time, but seeing a shot that you (well, my team) has worked on for 5 months coming out of lighting for the first time and looking pretty freaking awesome is a real nice feeling.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cubicle gangster posted:

There are a ton of 'i got an email from the foundary after i tested nuke at home... How hosed am I?' threads on cgtalk, they're great.

Yeah, I know a few guys who have pirate nuke at home for loving around with, not for actual work and they just bin those emails. They got legit licenses at work.

I remember before education/free versions of most 3d software, Alias had the Maya 3.5 launch party where one of the developers, during a Q&A session told a student to get the "internet" :airquote: "version" of Maya if they were a student.

A good laugh was had by all.

Regarding lawsuits, I know with a few 3d software developers, they never really got uppity with clients, but they did get pissed when a few places tried to skirt around the old site vs global licenses of their software if they had a pricing scheme like that. Eg. There was a lower site license fee vs a "global" license which allowed really big studios in multiple offices to use the same licenses the world over.

Some UK based VFX houses with overseas offices got cute with their license servers and got the cheaper licenses when they weren't supposed to.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 9, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, my current job (FX Lead) can be pretty frustrating most of the time, but seeing a shot that you (well, my team) has worked on for 5 months coming out of lighting for the first time and looking pretty freaking awesome is a real nice feeling.

I just figured out how to make holes in surfaces in a relatively clean way, I imagine it feels very similar

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Random question but does anyone know if Groboto is truly dead and gone? All my research points to the creator having to stop the development due to chronic illness. After that it was absorbed into mesh fusion for Modo. It's a shame because I really enjoyed playing with groboto many, many years ago. Does anyone know of anything similar? I have never seen anything else like it. Some of the most fun I have ever had with procedural modeling.

This was the SIGGRAPH image I remember being made with it.

EDIT:

Looks like their FB answered my question.

quote:

January 28, 2014 ·
GroBoto, MeshFusion & The Future

Our new Plug-In for MODO® — What does it mean for GroBoto

A little over a year ago, our tiny, two man team entered a collaborative pursuit with some very good folks at Luxology (makers of MODO). We had discovered that GroBoto's core technologies could be adapted to work with SubDivision Surfaces — a major breakthrough. Given our struggles to survive with GroBoto (we never made any money) — and the opportunity to bring a GroBoto-like experience to a much wider audience — we had to seize that opportunity.

We had hoped we could keep GroBoto development going — at least on a back-burner — while pursuing this new project. Unfortunately circumstances, and the sheer demands of the MeshFusion work, made that impossible.

Still, success with MeshFusion is is our best chance for reviving GroBoto. That labor of love was always starved for resources — money, time, people. Without an infusion, it would have withered away — even if MeshFusion had not come along.

The future of GroBoto is uncertain. We are hoping for the good fortune that would bring it back to life. We greatly appreciate your patience and support. The next several months will likely tell the story.

We will let you know how it comes out.

Best Wishes,
The GroBoto Team

Some content.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 9, 2018

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Trying to get my head around a little bit of Maya UI if anyone can help.

So, pCube1 and nurbsCircle1 are just transforms that sit in the hierarchy.
They hold "Attributes" like pCubeShape1, a mesh, which then refers to the polycube as a connected attribute?

But the pCube1 and nurbsCircle1 "containers" don't.. like. they dont connect in the graph. So i cant tell what hierarchy they're even part of, at least in this view.

But if I go to the attribute editor I can see the kinda "chain" it's got

But this view sucks to think about. Is there any other way to view this hierarchy? Or is there just no way to tell pCube1 and pCubeShape1 are connected in any way without looking in the attribute editor?

Edit: Quick extra question:

I made the left spline in Maya; I programatically made an FBX that contains the second spline and imported it. I can't tell any differences between the two but the imported spline has no, uh.. "Curve"? It only has a hull and control points but nothing visible connecting them. I can't find what type of setting or anything could generate this in maya; and even if I add control points with Maya's tools nothing changes. Am I missing something obvious?

Jewel fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 12, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

It's a transform node vs. a shape node. Hypergraph will also show a node view.

More keyshot fuckery.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That bump/normal map looks good. Have you found any way of doing anything like real displacement mapping in KeyShot? I've started using it recently because Maxwell quit doing good educational pricing (and KeyShot has become the industry standard in industrial design, so gotta keep aiming for those targets) but man do I miss those bumpy edges.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1nl1BcLUQ

new in keyshot 8

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Phase 2 of that recent project went public. here's a few -

We finished the Unit VR - started exploring a VR app of the amenity decks. once we're done with all the VR i'm going to ask the client if we can push it live to the oculus store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

cubicle gangster posted:

Phase 2 of that recent project went public. here's a few -

We finished the Unit VR - started exploring a VR app of the amenity decks. once we're done with all the VR i'm going to ask the client if we can push it live to the oculus store.

Looks loving insane, amazing :aaa:

I tell myself it takes like a bunch of people to do this but jeez