Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

this got posted in the general horror thread. pretty good.

https://zerohplovecraft.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/the-gig-economy-2/

This was good, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Neurosis posted:

I see he's recommending the Kickstarted book The Lost Citadel, in which he did a novelette. Describes it as 'Walking Dead invades Middle Earth'. Sounds like it might be appealing - I've always liked dark fantasy horror because of the Gothic feel it often invokes. is it worth picking up, anyone?

Edit: I'm dumb, it's not out yet.

He being Brian Hodge, this was discussed a bit earlier in the thread. The Lost Citadel anthology is now available in pdf for people who backed the game book kickstarter.

If I understand all this right (I'm at work so I can't check into it properly), C.A. Suleiman kickstarted this anthology around 2015. It came out and got some praise here for the Hodge story and others, but it still wasn't available to non-kickstarters. In 2017 they then did another kickstarter for a game book with the anthology as an additional reward. I backed that one since it sounded cool and I wanted the anthology. Suleiman then got accused of sexual harassment in November and was taken off the project. Ari Marmell took over writing the game book and just finished, sending it to editing recently. Meanwhile the anthology was just today released to backers in PDF and has gone to print at Nisaba Press. So presumably it will be available through here at some point. They have one of the stories up on that site for preview but it is one of Marmell's not Hodge's. Not sure if there are any changes between the original kickstarter and the Nisaba version.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
I liked Immaculate Void, more than Worlds of Hurt even. I finished the last 20 or 30 percent when I couldn't sleep last night, and am not sure I completely understood the ending.

The big, delightful twist is of course that the creepy, malevolent spider gods are really just trying to stop the universe from ending, because as powerful a
s they are, they're confined to this universe. The ativists, in contrast, by freak chance, are occasionally reborn universe to universe...and, when they die, especially together en masse, they (for some reason) leave a void in the universe. At the end of the novel, the spider gods failed to kill the atavists and stop them from assembling, and now the world's over.

But what was the spider gods' plan exactly? Say they did recruit Daphne to hunt down atavists--given the timeline of the novel, it doesn't seem like it would make a difference (as she herself thinks explicitly in the last chapter). And what exactly was going on in Alpha Centauri or Europa? Were similar things playing out with life there?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
After Father of Lies, I'd like to read more Brian Evenson, what's his best book?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

God Of Paradise posted:

After Father of Lies, I'd like to read more Brian Evenson, what's his best book?

collapse of horses

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I think a lot of this is left vague deliberately, but I didn't get any impression that it was a portal to someplace off earth. I think it just corrupts and changes life it encounters, for some unknown reason. I must have missed that Control thing though, what was it that gave you the impression he jumped into the cat? I thought his fate was just completely unknown. I didn't think that the light was a portal either, I thought it was the center of the phenomenon or something. It's been a while since I read it though, I might be misremembering some stuff.

redcheval posted:

It’s been a bit since I’ve read the trilogy so I’m a bit hazy on this, but I thought it was implied that Control turned into a rabbit, not his cat (its ambiguous though because IIRC he’s got a cat figurine in his pocket doesn’t he?).

In Whitby’s freaky attic painting it shows some recognizable characters as animals, and a few of them are definitely people who got animal’ed in Area X, and the species-to-person matches up. I think Control is portrayed as a rabbit there.

This stands out to me even more remembering the thousands of white rabbits the Southern Reach drove into the border early on. Kind of a nice parallel with Control being the ‘rabbit’ breaching the second border and going somewhere/catalyzing something new.

Edit: found the quote—

”Then he found himself. Incomplete. His face taken from his recent serious-looking mug shot, and the vague body of not a white rabbit but a wild hare, the fur matted, curling, half penciled in.”

Hey guys, I ended up emailing Jeff Vandermeer about this and he said:

Jeff Vandermeer posted:

Bunny. His cat fucks off to a bar and has massive amounts of drinks, then finds sanctuary somehwere far remote. "I've had enough of strange cell phone and erratic owners." Lives by the sea for a time. Never finds out what happens, but doesn't care. Has a good life.

So I guess that's canon.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Hey guys, I ended up emailing Jeff Vandermeer about this and he said:

So I guess that's canon.

Haha hell yeah. Thanks for posting this.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Just caught up on this thread, got some great book recommends, thanks!

Awhile back I had finished Area X and enjoyed your guys discussion on it. Though I was hoping more recommendations would come from it.

It seems there aren't many stories similar to a Team of scientists/whatever go into mysterious place and investigate. I had hoped to look for a book similar maybe with less horror (preferably more lol), and maybe some more actual investigation. So looking for more recommendations now. I really like that aspect of a Research Team investigating something Weird.

Other than that, I've read a lot of the anthologies of Cthulhu that were posted.

Started the Laundry Files since I liked A Colder War quite a bit, wish there was more like that in longer form.

I had tried to finish The Troop but I've mainly been doing audiobooks and for some reason listening to all the gore and gross stuff, kinda turned me off. I keep seeing recommends for The Deep and it seems like it would be cool, but I think I would like it more if it was similar to The Abyss/Sphere movies. (I saw the recommend for Starfish but was hoping for more Audiobooks as I'd like to multitask, though if that series sounds as good as it does, I may just grab the ebook)

btw, last book series I binged was Expanse, poo poo was great, unfortunately didn't go the horror route, but great scifi none the less. If there is a book like Expanse + Horror, please I need to know :o

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tertius Oculum posted:

Just caught up on this thread, got some great book recommends, thanks!

Awhile back I had finished Area X and enjoyed your guys discussion on it. Though I was hoping more recommendations would come from it.

It seems there aren't many stories similar to a Team of scientists/whatever go into mysterious place and investigate. I had hoped to look for a book similar maybe with less horror (preferably more lol), and maybe some more actual investigation. So looking for more recommendations now. I really like that aspect of a Research Team investigating something Weird.

Other than that, I've read a lot of the anthologies of Cthulhu that were posted.

Started the Laundry Files since I liked A Colder War quite a bit, wish there was more like that in longer form.

I had tried to finish The Troop but I've mainly been doing audiobooks and for some reason listening to all the gore and gross stuff, kinda turned me off. I keep seeing recommends for The Deep and it seems like it would be cool, but I think I would like it more if it was similar to The Abyss/Sphere movies. (I saw the recommend for Starfish but was hoping for more Audiobooks as I'd like to multitask, though if that series sounds as good as it does, I may just grab the ebook)

btw, last book series I binged was Expanse, poo poo was great, unfortunately didn't go the horror route, but great scifi none the less. If there is a book like Expanse + Horror, please I need to know :o

Try Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan (different regional titles for the same book) for a bit more of your spooky space exploration needs.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Also Blindsight by Peter Watts. I think it's still free on his website.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Cool yeah I put Blindsight on my Audible wishlist last night I think.

Ship of Fools looks interesting I'll add to my paperback list.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Tertius Oculum posted:

Have you read Stanislav Lem's Solaris?

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Forgall posted:

Have you read Stanislav Lem's Solaris?

Nah, just the movie, as well as Stalker. I hear they are both very different books though?

I don't know if anyone is into this, but sometimes when I read I put ambient music on, there is a label that makes really interesting dark ambience, and have come up with some really cool hour long ambiences that are Mythos themed as well, which is perfect for this thead. /shrug idk how you guys feel about that.

LINKS
https://cryochamber.bandcamp.com/music
https://open.spotify.com/artist/0YheaxIb6RBJFN9fMZp9gE?si=bnTUUCayS62MGQGN15FELA

https://open.spotify.com/album/4gDry6wDaQQoXbrYzAj31N?si=4X1CB8mpQ1qUaQDsBHjd_g

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I just discovered that Primo Levi, better known as a Holocaust survivor and the writer of If This Is a Man, a memoir of his detention in Auschwitz, also wrote a delightful little collection of short stories, Storie naturali. They have been misfiled (in my opinion) as science fiction, and Levi himself was a little ashamed and published them under a pseudonym, but they're really a mix of magic realism and weird fiction. In the English translation, they've been repackaged and merged with another short story collection, and published under the title The Sixth Day and Other Tales. The Wikipedia article has good summaries of the stories, have a look, see if they sound intriguing to you

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Stephen King's Revival was pretty disappointing. I was looking for more of that World of Hurt kind of cosmic horror but all I got was countless music references, boomer nostalgia and a few lines about the horrible ant gods waiting for us all after death.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/adamm0rgan/status/1045748923036561408

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

lol that he hates laird barron now after putting him in every single collection he edited. what a lunatic.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Stephen King's Revival was pretty disappointing. I was looking for more of that World of Hurt kind of cosmic horror but all I got was countless music references, boomer nostalgia and a few lines about the horrible ant gods waiting for us all after death.

I'm sorry, is this your first King book?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
It actually was lol. I'd only read his short stories before.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

hopterque posted:

lol that he hates laird barron now after putting him in every single collection he edited. what a lunatic.

what a miserable cur of a person. jeez.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yeah joshi is actually crazy and has done an incredible job of making himself despised by both authors and critics

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Going to recommend everyone go read I Am Providence by Nick Mamatas. His takedown of the Lovecraft fanboy scene is pretty damned good.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

His pretenders list looks awfully like a "best in the business" list.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to be fair, Joe Hill looks like a clone of his dad.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As a reminder, Joshi returned his World Fantasy Award after they changed it from a bust of Lovecraft.

lol he had to self-publish 21st Century Horror because he's burned all of his bridges in publishing.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 14, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ornamented Death posted:

lol he had to self-publish 21st Century Horror because he's burned all of his bridges in publishing.

haha i missed that. what a weird dude

the world fantasy award should have been changed,, not because lovecraft was racist, but because it was aesthetically terrible

the new one rules:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man Gahan Wilson's style does not lend itself to sculpture

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Man Gahan Wilson's style does not lend itself to sculpture

he has the Innsmouth look.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
i just think it was weird to have it be a Lovecraft bust for the Fantasy awards in the first place. Not that his work isn't fantasy, but his contributions are to a niche subgenre. I think if it was specifically a cosmic horror or weird fiction award the lovecraft bust would be suitable, even if he was a virulent racist, since his works are so instrumental to the existence of those genres at all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Social media often is a curse but in this case seeing a public conversation including the actual authors listed there is priceless. (And I agree with a statement further down, that I would pay good money for a collection with each author writing a story with the title assigned.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Social media often is a curse but in this case seeing a public conversation including the actual authors listed there is priceless. (And I agree with a statement further down, that I would pay good money for a collection with each author writing a story with the title assigned.)
Hell, I'd pay for just Failed Mimic and An Aesthetic Catastrophe.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Hell, I'd pay for just Failed Mimic and An Aesthetic Catastrophe.
My wife's suboptimal epidural during her c-section could qualify as Anaesthetic Catastrophe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the world fantasy award should have been changed,, not because lovecraft was racist, but because it was aesthetically terrible

the new one rules:

Initially thought the tree was a dragon, was disappointed when it wasn't.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

the new one rules:

Actually I agree with Joshi on this one. I want to wake up every morning and look into the eyes of that weird bust.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
I swear, every time I give Thomas Ligotti another chance I end up disappointed. I feel like he's a potentially brilliant writer whose work is completely marred by his utterly loathsome personal philosophy. I always come away feeling like I should find where the man lives and give him a swirly and a few rounds of ECT.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
his philosophy undergirds every one of his stories. it is wholly inextricable from them and from the effect they attempt to produce in the reader. it literally informs every word he writes. i honestly have no idea how you could even conceive of his work apart from it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
like it is a lovely philosophy, ideally we all read schopenhauer at 19 and then got over it, but it's also fundamental to the stories

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

like it is a lovely philosophy, ideally we all read schopenhauer at 19 and then got over it, but it's also fundamental to the stories

I legit like Schopenhauer a lot, how Schopenhauerian is this guy's writing?

There's a lot more to Schopenhauer than just pessimism.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
he's very schopenhauerian.

it's fine to like schopenhauer as like a thing to read, i guess, but his greatest contribution to modern philosophy is that his ideas fostered movements that overturned and then abandoned them

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

he's very schopenhauerian.

it's fine to like schopenhauer as like a thing to read, i guess, but his greatest contribution to modern philosophy is that his ideas fostered movements that overturned and then abandoned them

Well he's sort of the artist's philosopher and inspired some of the greatest artists that came after him. Wagner is the big one I'm familiar with but there are a ton of other. So I think his ideas can work well in fiction . That's kinda how a lot of modern philosophers see him and his system: a really good story, possibly full of holes and contradictions but very engaging.

I am torn between pessimism and optimism.Depends on my mood, I guess.