Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

No penalty!

It's actually really dumb, they really need to do something to stop battles from lasting forever where one side keeps trickling in reinforcements and the other side can't (or just doesn't, because who knows how the AI decides such things); this isn't the age of Verdun. I'm actually not entirely sure why battles aren't just sped up to last like 5 days, tops.

As far as I know battles in most Paradox games (sans HOI and Stellaris) represent the whole conflict in a region, from the early skirmishes to the final retreat. I do wish there was a "scouting" phase that gives bonuses and maluses and that the clash itself lasted no more than 5 days, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1073250463699648514

Wiz is moving on to an undisclosed project at Paradox. I'm assuming this means he gets a chance to make a new game instead of fixing an existing one. I'm eager to see what a Paradox game designed by Wiz from the start looks like.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Wiz is moving on to an undisclosed project at Paradox. I'm assuming this means he gets a chance to make a new game instead of fixing an existing one. I'm eager to see what a Paradox game designed by Wiz from the start looks like.

Chris King is probably Game Director on Vicky 3, so I'm gonna guess it's not that. Could it be Paradox's WoD project?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope it's CK3.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pylons posted:

Chris King is probably Game Director on Vicky 3, so I'm gonna guess it's not that. Could it be Paradox's WoD project?

I’m looking forward to Paradox’s simultaneous release of Victoria 3 and Victoria 4

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

They're having another go at East vs. West.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vicky3 confirmed? Confiiiirmed? :byodood:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Poil posted:

Vicky3 confirmed? Confiiiirmed? :byodood:

wow, I can't believe they made wiz the director to Victoria's secret!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Paradox had to excercise it's right to intellectual property made incidental to day to day work but good news now Victoria's Secret is fully funded and endorsed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm starting to think this thread needs some new jokes

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Stairmaster posted:

The old jokes will continue until Victoria 3 is released.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sengoku 2 confirmed?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Leviathan Warships II: This Time it's Personal

March of the Eagles II: Deep Strike

Stalin vs. Martians III: Red Tide

Ship Simulator Extremes II: Rise of the Zombie Sharks

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

I’m looking forward to Paradox’s simultaneous release of Victoria 3 and Victoria 4

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Actually it's Mount & Blade: Bannerlord

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Sengoku 2 confirmed?

I would honestly love a Sengoku 2: This Time It’s a Real Game and Not a Tech Demo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

Leviathan Warships II: This Time it's Personal

It's actually upsetting how many nautical themed DLCs we've gotten with no Jazz Boatman trailer.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

how about the same old jokes but with CK3 as soon as we get the slightest whiff of a CK3

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

how about the same old jokes but with CK3 as soon as we get the slightest whiff of a CK3

Considering it's Wiz, maybe it IS CK3.

Otto Xander
Dec 5, 2013
It's going to be Magna Mundi.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How do you make a sequel to a game with 15 DLCs without pulling a The Sims and ripping out half of the features?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do you make a sequel to a game with 15 DLCs without pulling a The Sims and ripping out half of the features?

Honestly I don't think you can which is why I'm wondering if they actually will make a CK3. There's probably going to come a point where they'll have to because you don't just leave that cash-cow unmilked, but it's going to have to do something really fundamentally different and interesting to seem worthwhile relative to the years of content updates that CK2 already has.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does it matter? You're going to buy it either way. There is no escape

e: But for real, I think CK3 would benefit from being designed from the ground up around nonfeudal societies being playable, instead of it being strapped on to the game mechanics. Also, add China you cowards.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
add china

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
CK3 will be first-person perspective.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
actually though I feel like CK2 -> CK3 is the easy one compared to EU4 -> EU5. There's a clear direction to take it, by building systems for non-Feudal governments from the get go, and that opens up a lot of stuff you can do for a bunch of the regions in a way that CK2 hasn't really been able to touch. Helps that China'd be a good way to exhibit that feature too.

3d portraits with Sims-style actual genetics and poo poo would own too

e:

Mantis42 posted:

e: But for real, I think CK3 would benefit from being designed from the ground up around nonfeudal societies being playable, instead of it being strapped on to the game mechanics. Also, add China you cowards.
hey gently caress you

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You take the stuff from CK2 that worked best, drop the things that didn't quite work out as desired, and either redo them or leave them for DLC.

Not sure I'd want a CK3 for several years though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

we are on sims 5. the answer to that question is in front of you already.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's an updated version of wiz's pirates! mod for eu3

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's actually just Stellaris 2.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Crusader Kings but now it's Three Kingdoms and your generals can personally murder hundreds of soldiers.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Don Gato posted:

Crusader Kings but now it's Three Kingdoms and your generals can personally murder hundreds of soldiers.

So Crusader Kings?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So Crusader Kings?

yes but it is named Three Kingdoms and has more kingdoms

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Strudel Man posted:

CK3 will be first-person perspective.

I'd for sure buy a better version of Kingdom Come.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
problem with ck3 is how do you really justify it

eu3 to 4 was a big jump, but just "yea you can do other, non-feudal stuff now!" isn't really a big carrot on the stick.

If they went full ham with the RPG aspect I could see it, but then you have one big hell game that I'm not sure where you'd even begin with.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

eu3 to 4 was a big jump, but just "yea you can do other, non-feudal stuff now!" isn't really a big carrot on the stick.

If they went full ham with the RPG aspect I could see it, but then you have one big hell game that I'm not sure where you'd even begin with.

Yeah this is sort of where I'm at. I really can't think of anything they could potentially do in a CK3 that wouldn't be possible as just another expansion to CK2. I mean there's a few concepts that would be neat that you probably can't do in CK2 without some pretty fundamental re-writes of the code (like say, a Sims style genetic system for appearances as mentioned above), but a lot of it is stuff where it's "neat to have, but doesn't really justify a full sequel".

Still it's entirely possible they have something completely off the wall they've been kicking around internally. I'm thinking mostly in terms of "What if CK2 but with X?" as potential directions for the series but it doesn't necessarily have to end up like that.

Has Paradox done any sequels to games since they adopted their current DLC model (as in sequels to games that were developed under that model, not sequels in general)?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paradox Presents: CK 15. A CK for fans and first-timers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Obviously CK3 will be a game focusing on the existensial horror of being an immortal who lives on through mind swapping.

Imagine the horror the first time you wake up in a beloved child's head, and you slowly realize that you've replaced everything they are. Their mind, their very soul. You wake with different bodies, genders, sexual orientations, etc. You keep getting more skilled at various aspects of state craft, but sometimes the bodies you're inhabiting are just too stupid to let you execute them. You steadily descend into madness.

The title of this thread played straight.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Just make The Guild 3 but actually good this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Pylons posted:

Feels like it, but I have no idea what it'd be or how it'd play considering Altered State/Giants Upon The Earth/Sundered World are CofD and not WoD.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 14, 2018