Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Wheat Loaf posted:

That truck that went on fire in that tunnel (it was either the Channel tunnel or one of those road tunnels that cuts through Alpine mountains - I'm leaning towards the latter) years ago and killed a bunch of people was full of margarine, wasn't it? Very combustible stuff under the right conditions, I believe.

Yeah, it was bad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel#Mont_Blanc_Tunnel_1999_fire

ugh: terrible snipe. Here's something from Ambush Bug.

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

He spent 3 hours before the fight watching Looney Tunes tapes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I love Taskmaster and his useless, useless superpower.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mister Mind posted:

Yeah, it was bad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel#Mont_Blanc_Tunnel_1999_fire

ugh: terrible snipe. Here's something from Ambush Bug.

I kinda love Ambush Bug and want lots more of it but at the same time feel that would dilute the wackiness it had in it's own little niche. Ambush Bug fandom is a land of contrasts is what I'm saying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

It would be a really useful superpower if he ever was to combine it with a sense impulse control:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

It would be a really useful superpower if he ever was to combine it with a sense impulse control:

You can't post that and not post what happens immediately after he catches her foot.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

Taskmaster learned this lesson the hard way:

Ug, I know "comics physics" and suspensions of disbelief and all that, but fffff Do you know how many hundred of tons of pressure it would take to compact asphalt/ground a foot?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a totally no-prizeable problem. Something like...

Sue actually just cut a cylindrical surface with force planes, compressed the ground underneath it so it all dropped and then popped him in the head with a close pressure burst to knock him out while leaving an extremely dramatic visual. She did all this - including the planning - in a fraction of a second, because she is terrifying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite part is how his cape has clearly been pressed into the ground until it's adhering to the exact shape of the crater.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

It would work better if he didn’t mimic beings who required superhuman strength or bizarre physics to work. Or if he bothered to research required secondary abilities.

If I remember correctly he once watched a championship diving competition, went out and perfectly mimicked the hardest jump performed there, and then remembered that he doesn’t know how to swim.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SilverSupernova posted:

It would work better if he didn’t mimic beings who required superhuman strength or bizarre physics to work. Or if he bothered to research required secondary abilities.

If I remember correctly he once watched a championship diving competition, went out and perfectly mimicked the hardest jump performed there, and then remembered that he doesn’t know how to swim.

Presumably if he had watched the competition he'd have also seen at least the diver swim to the edge of the pool and could half assed mimic that much swimming.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

SilverSupernova posted:

That's when he was a child. It's part of his backstory!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its much more fun when his abilities are less serious.

like when he learned super speed punching by watching kung-fu movies on fast forward

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

its much more fun when his abilities are less serious.

like when he learned super speed punching by watching kung-fu movies on fast forward

Don't forgot also watching how to catch bullets in those same movies.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Skwirl posted:

You can't post that and not post what happens immediately after he catches her foot.

Don't all the Wolverine clones have blades in their feet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kwyndig posted:

Yup

gently caress, posting photos from the phone is a pain.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kwyndig posted:

Just Laura to my knowledge. Gabby has only ever used her single hand claws, and the other clones weren’t mutants.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alhazred posted:

Taskmaster learned this lesson the hard way:

Every time I see this, it strikes me just how unnecessary his speech bubbles in panel 2 really are.

The faces alone say everything that needs to be said.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SilverSupernova posted:

Yeah, Taskmaster would be a pretty effective/competent villain in a normal action or martial arts movie environment. Predicting your opponent's every move and being able to perfectly mimic their fighting style could be very useful if you fight, like, James Bond. Writing that down now makes me want to see Taskmaster fight Iko Uwais for 90 minutes.

He is hilariously ill-equipped to fight anyone with superpowers beyond "peak human condition" though, and I love him because he still keeps on trying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Savidudeosoo posted:

That's when he was a child. It's part of his backstory!

I love Taskmaster's real origin that they inexplicably tried to retcon.

As a child, he found out he could mimic anything he saw, and decided he'd be a superhero. Then he thought about it and realized supervillains make more money. End of origin.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

David D. Davidson posted:

I've always had this idea in my head for a story about what would realistically have happened if Hitler had survived WW2. Basically Hitler gets captured and put on trial for the Holocaust where he gets thrown in a cell for the rest of his life. While in the cell he begins writing Mein Kamph 2: Härter kämpfen. However as he writes his brain begins being eaten by syphilis so as he writes it begins getting more and more strange as his mind goes. He eventually dies a drooling babbling shell of his former self who can't even control his bladder or bowels.

Yeah it's weird how Wolfenstein Reboot 2 has you violently brutalizing the German father of the German-Jew protagionist as if that might mean something, or anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJRVRx66GI

Also the whole segment where Ronnie Ray-gun gets brutally executed by Hitler, which I'm sure isn't a statement about white supremacy through the ages or anything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, Taskmaster would be a pretty effective/competent villain in a normal action or martial arts movie environment. Predicting your opponent's every move and being able to perfectly mimic their fighting style could be very useful if you fight, like, James Bond. Writing that down now makes me want to see Taskmaster fight Iko Uwais for 90 minutes.

He is hilariously ill-equipped to fight anyone with superpowers beyond "peak human condition" though, and I love him because he still keeps on trying.

Bills aren't going to pay themselves

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Samuringa posted:

Bills aren't going to pay themselves

Reed: I actually designed bills that can pay themselves, and some nice people from the utilities companies paid me $10,000 for the rights in perpetuity so I'm sure they'll roll them out any day now. I think $10,000 is a lot of money, right? :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of like the idea of Reed being the smartest man in the world except with his finances.

Always remember that early FF issue (i.e. a single-figure issue number) where Reed blows all their money making bad investments and they have to star in a movie about them produced by Namor to recover.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I've always liked that idea too, like he understands what money is and how it works in theory, but he never quite grasps how significant a part of other people's lives it is.

But then I'm also a big fan of genuinely nice Reed Richards who wants to encourage everybody to do their best, and has no idea that he comes across as either condescending or completely incomprehensible to the average person (and plenty of geniuses too!). Like in Fantastic Four when a member of the Power Pack(?) is saying he just got his PhD and Reed is all,"Oh that's wonderful, you should come hang out with all the eight-year-olds I'm teaching right now, they've all got PhDs too, multiple ones!"

Wasn't there an issue of a comic where a member of AIM talks about how loving tough it is to be a genius and an inventor when Reed Richards is just casually tossing together stuff in a couple of minutes when it took you years/decades/an entire life to develop, and he is doing a better job of it than you too?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 14, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

But then I'm also a big fan of genuinely nice Reed Richards who wants to encourage everybody to do their best, and has no idea that he comes across as either condescending or completely incomprehensible to the average person (and plenty of geniuses too!). Like in Fantastic Four when a member of the Power Pack(?) is saying he just got his PhD and Reed is all,"Oh that's wonderful, you should come hang out with all the eight-year-olds I'm teaching right now, they've all got PhDs too, multiple ones!"

Alex Power. The Future Foundation was pretty great.

https://twitter.com/KirbyKrackleArt/status/1073439608489295874

Namor's eyebrows are working at full power.

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 14, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Always remember that early FF issue (i.e. a single-figure issue number) where Reed blows all their money making bad investments and they have to star in a movie about them produced by Namor to recover.

FF #9 which other than an unfortunately unintended racism is legit great and a serious turning point in comic books since nobody had done anything quite like it before. There was a Superman story the year before where Superman is busted for tax evasion but that story was all about Superman doing goofy ways to come up with a billion dollars in back taxes before Perry White comes up with a way to justify Superman not having to pay taxes. FF 9 had half the issue dedicated to the team trying to figure out how to live normal lives and failing miserably at it before the Sub-Mariner plot kicks in. "Superheroes have to deal with paying their rent, too," is a pretty significant step in the genre.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Magneto's suit there looks like a precursor to Apocalypse's look.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Wasn't there an issue of Mark Waid's run where Reed explains that the reason they're able to afford their building space and equipment is because companies pay him gobs of money for the patents so they can keep his inventions off the market?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Which is both nonsensical, and makes Reed into a far worse person than Doom.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keeshhound posted:

and makes Reed into a far worse person than Doom.

This has never been in question.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's meant to be a clever, "see, this is why Reed's inventions don't dramatically improve everyday life in 616! Canon fixed!" moment, but it actually just makes Reed into some kind of bizarre NWO conspiracy theory bogeyman who is intentionally suppressing advanced technology to keep the masses compliant and dependent on his corporate masters.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Doom is at least trying to improve people's situations by taking them from the unenviable position of needing to be in control of their own lives to the obviously superior condition of having their lives directed by a significantly wiser being.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

To be fair this is a real problem with Marvel in general when you have so many tech based heroes. Reed or Stark alone could have changed the world 1000 over by now with the tech they use every day yet nothing really changes in the Marvel world in relation to us. Hell even Parker, Pym, Cho, Banner, could have done more for society. I think the most they do is give everyone whatever cell phone Stark or Parker is hawking around the comic story but that’s about it. You still see people with regular medical issues and not nearly as many flying cars once would expect. T’Challa and Wakanda have the long established reason of them being shut-ins. Pretty much every single marvel character is a loving genius. Even the villains.

I don’t think DC has that super genius problem. There’s Luthor but well he’s Luthor. Batman could do more as a billionaire than Bats but he’s a broken human being so we can’t expect much from him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

Wasn't there an issue of Mark Waid's run where Reed explains that the reason they're able to afford their building space and equipment is because companies pay him gobs of money for the patents so they can keep his inventions off the market?

Yes, though like a lot of explanations for incongruities like this it doesn't make a bit of sense. Okay, now Ford has Reed's patent on fusion powered flying cars: are they going to bury it forever so they can keep making regular cars or make all of the money by manufacturing them? While it's a popular bit of conspiracy theory, world shattering inventions are typically not locked away to prevent them from destroying a business.

The perfect example of this is one of the rare times it did: Kodak invented the digital camera in the 1970's and then didn't do anything other than sit on the patent . But patents are public so once it expired people started improving one the concept and guess who's camera division is shuttered instead of making all of the money?

(I've actually got two patent applications in the very early stages for some things I've invented. Sadly they're for a medical device and a new type of sensor so I will not be able to use them in my schemes to show all those fools who laughed at me.)

I tried to find a different comic book mad science funny panel but I couldn't find one quickly...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Random Stranger posted:

I tried to find a different comic book mad science funny panel but I couldn't find one quickly...

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To be fair this is a real problem with Marvel in general when you have so many tech based heroes. Reed or Stark alone could have changed the world 1000 over by now with the tech they use every day yet nothing really changes in the Marvel world in relation to us. Hell even Parker, Pym, Cho, Banner, could have done more for society. I think the most they do is give everyone whatever cell phone Stark or Parker is hawking around the comic story but that’s about it. You still see people with regular medical issues and not nearly as many flying cars once would expect.

Every time this subject comes up I am reminded of when Reed stopped a guy from committing suicide and found out he had a terminal illness and didn't want to die alone, so Reed invented a device that would let him know when the guy was about to die so Reed could sit there with him while he passed.

Instead of just, like, curing the guy. He makes him a 'I'M ABOUT TO DIE' pager.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In fairness, I think he gave the guy his personal phone number rather than a mad science thanatopic forecaster.

Doesn't mean he didn't do that rather than use his shrink ray to fantastic voyage in and remove the cancer like he did for his mailman.

I do remember Ms Marvel being pretty decent at showing off advanced tech in civilian uses, like her school having 3d printers that can make robots, and her costume's size changing was a friend's chemistry project.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elfface posted:

In fairness, I think he gave the guy his personal phone number rather than a mad science thanatopic forecaster

Correct: https://imgur.com/gallery/jelby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you could easily explain why flying cars aren't prevalent in the Marvel universe by saying that flying cars are a loving awful idea that was swiftly abandoned the first time someone actually tried it