Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

AlmightyBob posted:

So uh since HOTS seems to be dying are there any league streamers to watch that are good at like explaining the game but also not nazis
Voyboy and Scarra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Earlier this week, Riot’s CEO sent an email to employees describing the punishment its COO, Scott Gelb, will face after multiple employees alleged that, as a comedy bit, he has repeatedly touched subordinates’ balls or butt or farted in their faces.

Several employees tell Kotaku that his punishment - two months of unpaid leave and training - is far from satisfactory.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what the gently caress. what is a "scott gelb" and why did the satirical thing you wrote happen

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Verviticus posted:

what the gently caress. what is a "scott gelb" and why did the satirical thing you wrote happen

https://tt.linkedin.com/in/scottyg

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

AlmightyBob posted:

So uh since HOTS seems to be dying are there any league streamers to watch that are good at like explaining the game but also not nazis

https://www.twitch.tv/wickd

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don’t think League has any nazis come out of the woodwork?? I can’t think of the politics of a single player/streamer other than AOC having a twitter conversation with Hai

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean we've had people get penalized literally as recently as this Worlds for being dumb and racist but they're not common. I'd recommend just watching some pro games. Riot's casters tend to be pretty good about making the game easy to understand and if you watch the actual pros play you'll learn how champions interact and move around the map really well.

That said we're in off season, so your best bet is probably to watch some of the Worlds vods. Reddit's league vods page is excellent for keeping track of things.

I think I'll bust Taric out some more in Nexus Blitz and see if I can figure him out better.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

AlmightyBob posted:

scarra, voyboy, midbeast, and shiphtur are all good but they do varying levels of explanation.

I recommend just jumping in, there are plenty of people here willing to answer questions or play some normals.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

kingcobweb posted:

I don’t think League has any nazis come out of the woodwork?? I can’t think of the politics of a single player/streamer other than AOC having a twitter conversation with Hai

thanks for reminding me of this, one of the coolest things

also thoorin is maybe a Nazi but he's a peripheral figure and I don't think he plays the game at all.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Gleeb is the only one I can actually recall, but he's also, like, severely mentally ill and hasn't been involved in the scene in a long-rear end time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is anything in particular happening at HOTS for it to be dying or is it just inertia/old age?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

kingcobweb posted:

Thoorin is definitely full-on alt-right but other than him, I guess Svenskeren is still the same brand of racist-via-stupidity, just hiding it a bit better

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elentor posted:

Is anything in particular happening at HOTS for it to be dying or is it just inertia/old age?

Blizzard is shifting developers away from HotS and axing the esports scene entirely. They're trying to massage the message, but it's pretty clear when reading between the lines that HotS is unprofitable and they're going to switch it to maintenance mode.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Elentor posted:

The entire dev team got moved to other projects and the entire esports scene is cancelled. Game is basically dead. Given what matchmaking will be after that announcement, they should have just closed the doors imo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AlmightyBob posted:

SoloRenektonOnly's youtube videos are pretty solid. He's pretty good about explaining his play patterns - during laning, he's very chatty about cooldowns, exactly when he's going in why, all that good stuff. His stream is a bit more of a mixed bag if you're just looking for explanations, since he gets a bit tilted if games don't go his way, and if it's obvious the game he's playing won't make for a Youtube video, he slows down on explanations.

His youtube videos have loving awful clickbait names, but don't let that put you off. His builds usually aren't too far out of whack from the norm, and he's genuinely informative.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Blizzard is shifting developers away from HotS and axing the esports scene entirely. They're trying to massage the message, but it's pretty clear when reading between the lines that HotS is unprofitable and they're going to switch it to maintenance mode.

It surprises me they kept funding that game for so long, if I'm being perfectly honest. It had a good run, but yeah, too bad for the players.

Erdricks posted:

The entire dev team got moved to other projects and the entire esports scene is cancelled. Game is basically dead. Given what matchmaking will be after that announcement, they should have just closed the doors imo.

What do you mean about the matchmaking?

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna third Voyboy being really fun and informative to watch. Part of his shtick is basically that he's very versatile and will play any champion/any role (though he'll usually pick a carry on whatever role he's in), so it's rare that you would see him play the same champion twice in one night.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elentor posted:

What do you mean about the matchmaking?

The longevity of games with ranked ladders depends heavily on there being a critical mass of players spread across a relatively large skill range in order to maintain both low average queue times and reasonably close/"fair" games. HotS already had a relatively small ranked population (and, consequently, issues with queue times and matchmaking fairness), and Blizzard effectively announcing they're crewing the ship with skeletons going forwards will only make these issues worse. When one of the winners of their esports finals and a major content creator uninstalls the game on stream, you know the game is doomed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you have an interest in playing Top the SoloRenektonOnly does really good daily videos. FoggedFTW2 if you wanna be a real man and one trick Tryndamere.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

last i checked in on SRO his vids were all just him beating up plat players on a smurf account to make his weird gimmick builds look like they work, did he go back to making actual educational vids?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Mash posted:

Thoorin is definitely full-on alt-right but other than him, I guess Svenskeren is still the same brand of racist-via-stupidity, just hiding it a bit better

Oh god I forgot about Thorin. That guy loving sucks.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Foxdrop is really good for jungle and explaining his choices and what he's doing. Always real positive too.

Plus he has a dog.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Hashinshin for top
Trick2g for jungle and top
Grossgore for mid
Tyler1 for adc
LS for all around game knowledge

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

The longevity of games with ranked ladders depends heavily on there being a critical mass of players spread across a relatively large skill range in order to maintain both low average queue times and reasonably close/"fair" games. HotS already had a relatively small ranked population (and, consequently, issues with queue times and matchmaking fairness), and Blizzard effectively announcing they're crewing the ship with skeletons going forwards will only make these issues worse. When one of the winners of their esports finals and a major content creator uninstalls the game on stream, you know the game is doomed.

Yeah that sounds... really bad.

kingcobweb posted:

Oh god I forgot about Thorin. That guy loving sucks.

My favorite part about Thorin is that you can hear him talk about LoL for hours and hours and hours and not once will he mention anything related to the actual game, champions, or game mechanics.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Elentor posted:

My favorite part about Thorin is that you can hear him talk about LoL for hours and hours and hours and not once will he mention anything related to the actual game, champions, or game mechanics.

It’s remarkable. One wouldn’t think it would be POSSIBLE to talk that much about a game without once talking about the game, yet he does it. I’m not sure I could do this for more than five minutes without slipping. (Deep cut for the MTG folks, he’s like an angry version of Rich Hagon)

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

henkman posted:

Hashinshin for top
Grossgore for mid
Tyler1 for adc

lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tales of Woe posted:

last i checked in on SRO his vids were all just him beating up plat players on a smurf account to make his weird gimmick builds look like they work, did he go back to making actual educational vids?

He has two channels: the main channel where he beats up on high plat / low diamond. The highlight channel is where he flexes in high diamond competative games. But... When you are making the climb to lvl 30 I dont think competative matches are the most useful to learn from.

Main thing I like from SRO is he regularly explains the ability combos he uses. He does a broad survey of champs and informs you on how to play them. His emphasis on wave management is super useful for the initial climb.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For support: anyone who isn’t a support main and plays like LB support when they have to

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

It’s remarkable. One wouldn’t think it would be POSSIBLE to talk that much about a game without once talking about the game, yet he does it. I’m not sure I could do this for more than five minutes without slipping. (Deep cut for the MTG folks, he’s like an angry version of Rich Hagon)

Take a shot game where you watch thorin endlessly and you take a shot every time he talks about the game.

The road to being sober.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

henkman posted:

Hashinshin for top
Grossgore for mid
Tyler1 for adc

lmfao

strong bird
May 12, 2009

do not watch professional league if you want to get started with the game, its an entirely different, and worse, game when professional players are playing it

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

KirbyKhan posted:

If you have an interest in playing Top the SoloRenektonOnly does really good daily videos. FoggedFTW2 if you wanna be a real man and one trick Tryndamere.

I reccommend watching SRO's stream because it's really funny watching him try to record those aforementioned plat videos, die twice, and completely shift persona as he starts yelling about ganks while soft inting and spamming surrender votes

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

AlmightyBob posted:

wickd is good for top lane. Also has good non-clickbait-ey youtubes.
Lohpally is a salty and depressing support player, but has pretty good explanations.
Some of the good one tricks are kind of interesting to watch. The aforementioned foggedftw. RenektonTopOnly (who is different, and better than, SoloRenektonOnly)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

do not play top

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

counterpoint: play top and only top, so you spend as little time interacting with the majority of your team as possible

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

strong bird posted:

do not play top

Monathin posted:

counterpoint: play top and only top, so you spend as little time interacting with the majority of your team as possible

These are both correct

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Boxman posted:

His youtube videos have loving awful clickbait names, but don't let that put you off.

i refuse, this is what im going to do and you cant stop me

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Monathin posted:

Top is great, you get to play all the busted BS and when you win lane you actually get to use the advantage instead of having the support and jungler ruthlessly suppress it.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Also voting for Voy because he's got a positive, engaging stream persona and he also fucks up and dies as a consequence of taking horrible gambles relatively frequently and sometimes it's just as instructive to see what you can't do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the most important lesson to learn about league is that every role makes fun of the other roles and thinks their role is the actually important one