Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Best Star Trek intro music ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwCmfLxIcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
DS9 The Fallen was a legit good game. The Jem'Hadar levels were spooky as gently caress because they'd come out of nowhere and shank you.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
is there anything close to a trek game where, you know, you fly around in space, encounter alien races and solve your problems w diplomacy, land on strange planets and explore, use your wits and gadgets to overcome hostile threats while being mindful of the moral ramifications of your choices, form alliances with advanced civilizations and develop new technology, customize your ship, etc? or is it all just a clusterfuck of flying and pew pewing at ships and fps punching?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stellaris.

Also try the New Horizons mod for full Trek.

It's less playing the Ship and more playing the entire Federation. I, too, would enjoy some decent Star Trek style game playing just the Captain/Ship.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 14, 2018

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This looked promising at one time, but seems to have transitioned into "Fan-Made Development Limbo".

https://www.stexcalibur.com

It's supposed to be a fan-made remake of Bridge Commander using the Unreal 4 engine, but it seems to be taking a bit of a Star Citizen turn for the worse as they are letting feature creep and worrying about really insignificant details take over. I used to check out their forums a year or so ago just to see if it was still being worked and and 90% of the discussions were about the fabric on the floor being a little off, or the LCARS being a bit too bright instead of things like, "is it anywhere near being a playable game.

Enterprise D in a random battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8Nkj_iOLQ
Enterprise D taking randomly generated damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3UBJaqY0Zk

When I heard that they were migrating the project over to Unreal 4 I was anticipating photo-realistic images, but I guess you can have the best engine in the world, but it all comes down to your art dept, because it really doesn't look that much better than a modded Bridge Commander, and that came out back in 2002.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Origami Dali posted:

is there anything close to a trek game where, you know, you fly around in space, encounter alien races and solve your problems w diplomacy, land on strange planets and explore, use your wits and gadgets to overcome hostile threats while being mindful of the moral ramifications of your choices, form alliances with advanced civilizations and develop new technology, customize your ship, etc? or is it all just a clusterfuck of flying and pew pewing at ships and fps punching?

The closest I've ever seen to this is Pulsar: Lost Colony.

Its not a Star Trek game, its an early access game that's been developed by two guys in England somewhere over the last 4 years or something. I followed the project for a year when they did weekly updates and saw consistent progress so I bought in early.

It continues to develop further adding new features and stuff like that, but fundamentally it's a co-op game where up to five people crew a space ship by standing at their consoles and pressing buttons, occasionally beaming down to planets to do some stuff on foot. Occasionally you can click a button that says "be diplomatic to avoid a fight" but it's more like FTL than Star Trek.

The game does have some downsides. Graphically it's what you can expect from two dudes just putting together a game. They made a good choice when they moved to cel shading for style for the characters and should probably apply it to the entire game to be consistent and achieve a "style" that looks good without going for complex realistic textures. Everywhere is also designed like when people first got custom level designers in games: no one got the sense of scale right so everywhere was just really really big.

Both Star Trek Bridge Crew and Artemis Space Ship Simulator are better simulations of combat but your welded to your seat/have no physical form in the game.

The only OTHER game that technically ticks all your boxes is Star Trek Online, where you fly around the galaxy inserting yourself into diplomatic situations etc. For a free game I found it OK to go through the initial stages but basically the end game grind is a real slog so my guy is like forever doomed to be max level but sneered at by regular players.

The best Star Trek stratgey style game still remains Star Trek New Horizions mod for Stellaris, which is like Birth of the Federation but actually relatively well balanced and designed. Though Stellaris just had a big update so you basically have to roll back the current patch to play it. When the mod is updated though you'll be able to turn Bajor into a mining world, enslave all the Bajorans, destroy their farms and temples and declare martial law. Good Times.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 14, 2018

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

as the prophets intended

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Star Control 2 was the last good trek game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

Star Control 2 was the last good trek game.

girls were mad you couldn't accept the proposal of the tentacle green guy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I know it doesn't have the ship management stuff, but Judgment Rites was probably the one Trek game that felt like a Trek game. Starfleet Academy (SNES and PC), Armada II, Dominion Wars, Starfleet Command, The Fallen, STO, and the TOS and TNG NES games were fun, but none of them had the puzzle or negotiation aspects that makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know it doesn't have the ship management stuff, but Judgment Rites was probably the one Trek game that felt like a Trek game. Starfleet Academy (SNES and PC), Armada II, Dominion Wars, Starfleet Command, The Fallen, STO, and the TOS and TNG NES games were fun, but none of them had the puzzle or negotiation aspects that makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary (JR was the sequel) is also very much in the spirit of the series as well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lamebot posted:

Benjamin Sisko's Excellent Synth Rock Running Adventure

I played for like 10 minutes last night and this is extremely accurate

e: apparently I can stream live from my 2DSXL but I doubt anybody cares about a playthrough of this weird-rear end game

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: apparently I can stream live from my 2DSXL but I doubt anybody cares about a playthrough of this weird-rear end game

I ONLY like weird games

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Probably not a stream, but if you recorded that stream I'd be pretty interested to watch a youtube let's play video series.

Maybe there's one already up there, I dunno, but either yours or someone else's, I'd watch it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

I ONLY like weird games

Then you should join Lucy Lawless in playing Warframe. That game is weird as gently caress and fun as hell. It's like you're a Power Ranger and all the enemies are Putties.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
if puddies had to be smacked into each other (maybe this was vr troopers tho) why didn't they just send one!??!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mods changed my name posted:

if puddies had to be smacked into each other (maybe this was vr troopers tho) why didn't they just send one!??!

Putties were killed by just normal attacks, except the Z putties that were 100% invincible except for the giant plate with a Z on it where a punch kills them instantly

Why the gently caress do I know this

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Danaru posted:

Putties were killed by just normal attacks, except the Z putties that were 100% invincible except for the giant plate with a Z on it where a punch kills them instantly

Why the gently caress do I know this

Because Power Rangers is fuckin' rad!

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
ok well i guess it's time to investigate knock off power rangers shows of the early 90s

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I never saw VR troopers, but Big Bad Beetleborgs whipped rear end

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I watched them when they came out as we only had like 4 channels that wasn't 700 Club poo poo but it was that age where I was getting too old for those kind of shows and as a 35 year old man I packed up and left my house and mother has never forgiven me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Danaru posted:

I never saw VR troopers, but Big Bad Beetleborgs whipped rear end

VR Troopers was great and the suit designs made excellent toys. I had a Beetleborgs beetle toy, but I don’t remember watching the show that often. What I do remember though is that the American framing device they used was absolutely bonkers. Something about a haunted mansion containing monsters who want to eat kids and the kids turn into Beetleborgs through the power of wishing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
in my short googling of whatever I was thinking of, it was pretty wild to learn that vr troopers was almost as successful as Power Rangers and only canceled because they ran out of footage from like the 3 different shows it was all pulled from, it's pretty funny.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought all those shows looked absolutely god-awful and stupid as hell when I was a kid and I refused to watch them. Now as an adult who has grown to love camp, I realize I missed out.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I like godzilla movies a lot and I think I just like dudes in rubber suits smashing buildings to be honest, as that was the only parts I liked in Power Rangers

and then after all that battling you gotta deal with those Bulk and Skull bozos! have mercy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mods changed my name posted:

I like godzilla movies a lot and I think I just like dudes in rubber suits smashing buildings to be honest, as that was the only parts I liked in Power Rangers

and then after all that battling you gotta deal with those Bulk and Skull bozos! have mercy

Tokusatsu shows rock, but I wish someone had brought Kamen Rider to the US in the 90’s. I’ve always dug those designs, but I can’t imagine trying to get into that show as an adult.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I doubt I could get into them at all but they would probably be as fulfilling as Voyager is for background noise

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

This looked promising at one time, but seems to have transitioned into "Fan-Made Development Limbo".

https://www.stexcalibur.com

It's supposed to be a fan-made remake of Bridge Commander using the Unreal 4 engine, but it seems to be taking a bit of a Star Citizen turn for the worse as they are letting feature creep and worrying about really insignificant details take over. I used to check out their forums a year or so ago just to see if it was still being worked and and 90% of the discussions were about the fabric on the floor being a little off, or the LCARS being a bit too bright instead of things like, "is it anywhere near being a playable game.

Enterprise D in a random battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt8Nkj_iOLQ
Enterprise D taking randomly generated damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3UBJaqY0Zk

When I heard that they were migrating the project over to Unreal 4 I was anticipating photo-realistic images, but I guess you can have the best engine in the world, but it all comes down to your art dept, because it really doesn't look that much better than a modded Bridge Commander, and that came out back in 2002.

I remember getting a big kick out of the damage effects in Klingon Academy, although the only reason they were able to implement those to the degree they did was because the art guys had a huge amount of time on their hands while the engine team desperately tried to wrangle the old (and undocumented!!) Starfleet Academy code into shape.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey FCA have you seen the ST comic story "Spot's Day"? Made me think of you

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tokusatsu shows rock, but I wish someone had brought Kamen Rider to the US in the 90’s. I’ve always dug those designs, but I can’t imagine trying to get into that show as an adult.

They did! It was called Masked Rider but only lasted a couple of seasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Hey FCA have you seen the ST comic story "Spot's Day"? Made me think of you

Yes! Both as a kid and later as an adult. I may still have a physical copy buried somewhere at my mom's house.

Data: "I must adjust the door sensors. The captain would take a dim view of pets roaming around his ship."
Spot, thinking: "What does he mean, his ship? Mine."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
do you have the comic where everyone is hilariously ripped

(just kidding, that's like all of them)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No, hell yes, yes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PostNouveau posted:

No, hell yes, yes

Bad opinion. He is fully functional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
omg beefy data lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Picard needs a bionic leg. I just feel like it needs to be there.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh my god these issue covers/alternates

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Weight training is a must in the mirror universe with those sleeveless uniforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011