Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
what if you gave us more money and we made your kids education worse? deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zuckerberg pledged $100M to "fix" newark's public schools

he announced it on oprah and both booker (then mayor of newark) and christie were there to accept the money

quote:

When Zuckerberg declared his grant, the agenda was pretty clear: Turn the Newark schools around in five years and make it a national model. But from the get-go, there seemed little agreement as to how best to proceed. More than anything, Christie wanted to break the hold of the entrenched teachers’ unions. Booker wanted more charter schools. Zuckerberg wanted to raise the status of teachers and to reward teaching that improved students’ performance.

Their five-year plan gets off to a rocky start. Initial funds go to a bevy of consultants, most of them white, most of them well connected, some of whom are getting paid $1,000 a day. One educator labels them the “school failure industry.” Moreover, it quickly becomes apparent that this is a top-down effort, with politicians and the well-to-do setting the agenda. When Booker sets up a local foundation to handle Zuckerberg’s gift, the seats on the board go only to donors of at least $5 million. You can begin to see where this story’s headed. Booker shows more interest in his own political career than he does in running his city. Christie hires an ideologue as his point person on the Newark schools. And Zuckerberg, a newcomer to philanthropy, seems frustrated by the inability to negotiate a union contract that would quickly raise the salaries of promising young teachers and pay substantial merit bonuses for high performers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/books/review/the-prize-by-dale-russakoff.html

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the waiting for superman framing was not something i had known before though lol

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
That photo is the result of an ai designed to produce the most succinct example of neoliberalism

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

imagine a scene in which zuckerberg is the good less bad guy

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Lol that that walleyed motherfucker is probably going to be our next president.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Nah, he'll easily win the primary and then get crushed by trump.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he could easily buy the primary just like hillary did and would lose to trump even more spectacularly. ronald reagan levels of blowout.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wheeee posted:

imagine a scene in which zuckerberg is the good less bad guy

That's not what the scene implies. Zuckerberg swooped in to Oprah to make a big show of being Superman to save Newark schools - but the American school system isn't going to be saved by billionaire philanthropy. He's creating a false impression of the efficacy of philanthropy to cement his class power.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea except the other three are doing the same thing even more aggressively

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1070739987572973569

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nye should be on top. he was always more politically engaged and also is (hopefully) not a sex pest

"smartness" =/= should run for president though

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I initially read that as (Mike) Tyson

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they're both celebrities who found a good grift, not working scientists or experts in their field

add kaku to that list. You could read the wiki page for something and know as much as they do as deeply as they do

but yes I agree I want my country run by names I've heard of from the TV

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
For all the talk they do about liberal bias in Hollywood and how celebrities need to "stay in their lane", history shows that Republicans are way more likely to elect a celebrity than Dems.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I lust for death now

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

all those Italians who never left New York and New Jersey were settling a savage wasteland

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

all those Italians who never left New York and New Jersey were settling a savage wasteland

when youre right youre right

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's not what the scene implies. Zuckerberg swooped in to Oprah to make a big show of being Superman to save Newark schools - but the American school system isn't going to be saved by billionaire philanthropy. He's creating a false impression of the efficacy of philanthropy to cement his class power.

He was just young and naive, thinking that a few billion is enough to disrupt the establishment. He has now been absorbed by the system, which is why his facial expression is much more somber now than when he was starting up.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Taintrunner posted:

I lust for death now

Well, except for that one time the settlers hosed up and the natives had to bail them out with a nice thanksgiving meal

...and then the settlers later killed them and took their land

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Feldegast42 posted:

Well, except for that one time the settlers hosed up and the natives had to bail them out with a nice thanksgiving meal

...and then the settlers later killed them and took their land

That's certainly one exceptionally dumb aspect of it, but my favorite is the assumption that all of their ancestors came over during that sort of time period when trying to make a new life in the new world was actually super difficult. The reality is that most people will trace back to ancestors who immigrated to the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s; when the US was already developed. Those people were coming over because jobs were getting super scarce in Europe, land was hard to come by if you weren't in the aristocracy, and the US offered great opportunity to get a decent job. Sounds pretty much like the people they're bitching about.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Taintrunner posted:

I lust for death now

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Raldikuk posted:

That's certainly one exceptionally dumb aspect of it, but my favorite is the assumption that all of their ancestors came over during that sort of time period when trying to make a new life in the new world was actually super difficult. The reality is that most people will trace back to ancestors who immigrated to the US in the late 1800s and early 1900s; when the US was already developed. Those people were coming over because jobs were getting super scarce in Europe, land was hard to come by if you weren't in the aristocracy, and the US offered great opportunity to get a decent job. Sounds pretty much like the people they're bitching about.

For sure, like 90% of Scandinavian emigrants are from like 1890-1940. It was just lovely over here at the time, and saving up for a ticket was a pretty good idea. More room & more rubes, ya know?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1071375493059018752

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

on the contrary huffington post i do feel like it ought to be deliberately missed. perhaps even pushed away with a long pole.

edit lord protect us from white nerdy rap battles

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Every time I remember ERBoH exists I lust for death.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im going to watch it

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/matttbastard/status/1071440512446427137

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Retromancer posted:

Every time I remember ERBoH exists I lust for death.

It's baffling to me that it has survived this long.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i am also surprised the epic rap battles of history people have found success in a society that built a cult of personality around a smug nerd man who tells us movies are fictional.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Hmm, something tells me you're not actually surprised at all

Neil degrasse Tyson said that star wars was inaccurate because a ball droid robot would never be able to roll around on sand. Without considering that the droid in the movie is an actual robot which the crew constructed, that you can see in the movie rolling in the sand.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how does the head part not roll when the ball its attached to does roll

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

I lust for death now
What happened to the first conservative insurgent? :ohdear:

DragQueenofAngmar