Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

For all we know, the first challenge in the finale will be an omelet making contest judged by Probst.

The first time in history I can confidently say I would do really well in a challenge and not be armchair survivoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

IcePhoenix posted:

The first time in history I can confidently say I would do really well in a challenge and not be armchair survivoring.

The amount of Survivor-related "you have to break a few eggs" comments Jeff would make during this competition is already annoying me.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You know, as much as I'm not looking forward to an all Goliath endgame, I cannot wait for Angelina's final tribal council. The worst possible ending for this season is not Kara winning; it's Angelina somehow missing the finals and denying us the glorious mess that would ensue.

Do you think she'll bring up her Noble Rice Sacrifice again? I hope so, I really do. :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Poque posted:

smh at all this brad culpepper amnesia

Also I don't care so much about the theme and life stories but it feels fair to presume that if you're a "goliath" you're probably doing okay financially.

Also Nick is a freaking lawyer.

In all honesty though, other than the virgin babby early seasons I don't think wealth has ever really come up as a voting criterion at end game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nick is a public defender in rural Kentucky so I don't think he's exactly rolling in it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nick's a public defender whose mother died from opioid addiction and who was just talking about how his dad gave blood to buy the family milk, so he's got a pretty good story as far as that stuff goes.

efb etc

nerox
May 20, 2001
Watched this episode and me this week:

First 15 minutes: "Nick and Davie are killing it, they are on another level doing stuff this season"
Last 45 minutes: :doh:

edit: I would bet Nick makes around 40k a year, he was just admitted to the Kentucky bar in April 2016. From his story and personality though, he seems like he could find better paying work if he wanted to, but believes in the cause.

nerox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 13, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
bad take: mike shouldn't get to win, because he's rich

good take: mike shouldn't get to win, because he's awful at Survivor

edit: extra good take (and my actual feelings): mike should have factored potential bias in from day 1 and lied about whether he was rich or not.

"weren't you in that movie with jack black?"
"uh, no?"
"oh, okay. what do you do?"
"i'm a tutor"
"neat, let's build a shelter"

Spokes fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 14, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fair but also aren't they all a little awful at Survivor?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

STAC Goat posted:

Fair but also aren't they all a little awful at Survivor?

Thanks to last night's episode i can confidently say yes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spokes posted:

There is a real sense in which if he wins it means he wasn't awful at survivor, but rather that survivor maybe isn't what you (we) want it to be

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

here's something everyone can enjoy and celebrate; Christian's awesome Ponderosa.

I just watched this and oh my god :neckbeard:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Christian's RHAP exit interview is him just nonstop talking so much I'm surprised he didn't pass out. Of note?

- Nick's silly fake idol find successfully tricked Christian into not searching for the idol.

- Christian tells an amazing anecdote about how Davie first tipped him off. Christian was sitting alone on the beach at night when he started to feel a spray of sand on him, then more, and then he started to get clobbered with sand. He looked over and found Davie hiding in a spyshack. Davie warned him "don't trust anyone, we'll talk tomorrow" and then "disappeared into the night." "Davie's a gem."

- Mike, Angelina, and Nick ALL tipped Christian off as well. I love how bad this cast is at Survivor. The whole dramatic "reading people" idol thing he did was all a show to try and keep them all thinking they were the one person he was trusting.

- Christian debated a "radical honesty" strategy of going to Gabby and saying "I know you're going after me, I'm using my idol to stay, but all these people are trying to undermine you." But he figured he could never really trust Gabby because her reasoning to want him out made sense. But he wrestled with the "radical honesty" strategy all game of just laying cards on the table with people targeting him.

- Christian stands by going after Carl because he was scared if the Davids got too comfortable they'd turn on him. So he figured he needed to keep the sides even so everyone stayed focused on the bigger threat instead of the "abstract threat" of him.

- Christian thinks the Davids including himself screwed up Strike Force by pushing too hard to keep Elizabeth and spooked Mike.

That was a fun as hell interview. I can't wait to see Christian's second go. I'm gonna go watch the Ponderosa now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spergatory posted:

Doesn't matter. He is a Known Hollywood Celebrity, even if he isn't that big, so a jury with this makeup is not going to give him the million unless he's sitting next to two absolute mega goats. I think a millionaire can win Survivor, but only if nobody knows they're a millionaire.

I don't think this would really apply for this season. As the jury is made up of Goliaths and most certainly most of them have money themselves and would be much less likely to really care about who actually needs the money when picking a winner.

Even Christian and Gabby likely make decent money to not really hold it against someone when voting for a winner.

Also, the 6 that are left, there's not anyone there that is likely to be struggling with money from their casting professions, maybe nick being a Public Defender I guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spokes posted:

edit: extra good take (and my actual feelings): mike should have factored potential bias in from day 1 and lied about whether he was rich or not.

"weren't you in that movie with jack black?"
"uh, no?"
"oh, okay. what do you do?"
"i'm a tutor"
"neat, let's build a shelter"

Natalia instantly recognised him from being on The Amazing Race.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Christian's RHAP exit interview is him just nonstop talking so much I'm surprised he didn't pass out. Of note?

That was a fun as hell interview. I can't wait to see Christian's second go. I'm gonna go watch the Ponderosa now.

Thanks for the summary!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

I just watched this and oh my god :neckbeard:

:neckbeard: indeed.

I really want to read Gabby's notes.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think this would really apply for this season. As the jury is made up of Goliaths and most certainly most of them have money themselves and would be much less likely to really care about who actually needs the money when picking a winner.

Even Christian and Gabby likely make decent money to not really hold it against someone when voting for a winner.

Also, the 6 that are left, there's not anyone there that is likely to be struggling with money from their casting professions, maybe nick being a Public Defender I guess.

I still think there is a level of separation between "making decent money" and "being rich" and I think for most people, celebrities fall automatically into the second category. There is a fundamentally different way that celebrities are regarded in most people's minds, even if that separation isn't always warranted. Again, this is not about how much money anyone actually makes, this is about the narratives the jurors are likely to create and maintain amongst themselves, the way they talk about people when those people aren't there to defend themselves.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think while its entirely possible that the jury could regard Mike as undeserving because of his celebrity we've gotten absolutely no mention of such things or indication from this cast that they'd feel that way. So while its fair game to throw it into the mix as a possible element in play anything more to that is probably just going to speak to our own person biases on the matter.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

IcePhoenix posted:

I see people say this a lot but I can't think of a situation where it ever actually happened

brian heidik from thailand? maybe not an actual millionaire but his castmates thought he was

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For a super long time it was a truism amongst Big Brother fans that "A woman can't beat a man in the finals" because like the three times there had been that scenario the man had won (even though in most of those cases most agreed the man deserved to beat the woman). And then like 2 women beat 2 men in the last three seasons and threw the whole silly theory for a loop because it was always just an assumption drawn out of a handful of results.

I imagine there's less cases of this "jury won't reward a rich person" theory. It seems plausible as a thing that could happen but it doesn't seem like it should be the truism its treated as.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Christian's interviews just make me sadder he won't get to be in the final grilling. Christian shaving his beard off at Ponderosa is way worse, though.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

STAC Goat posted:

For a super long time it was a truism amongst Big Brother fans that "A woman can't beat a man in the finals" because like the three times there had been that scenario the man had won (even though in most of those cases most agreed the man deserved to beat the woman). And then like 2 women beat 2 men in the last three seasons and threw the whole silly theory for a loop because it was always just an assumption drawn out of a handful of results.

I imagine there's less cases of this "jury won't reward a rich person" theory. It seems plausible as a thing that could happen but it doesn't seem like it should be the truism its treated as.

Yeah, agreed. I think the bigger truism is that 'people will vote for whom they like and respect'. Mike just needs to go up against two people who are disliked more than he is (although to be fair I am not sure there are two of those people left in the game), and his wealth will be overlooked.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Presented without comment.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fast Luck posted:

hahaha of course Angelina pulls the rice card. She rules

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Survivor- David vs Goliath: Playing the Rice Card.

Done.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
sad to see christian go like that, but i knew they'd never let him get to the end.

i'm really curious what the other survivors even think about mike. they seem to like him, but he's never once been targeted whatsoever. i do think that if davie or nick is in the finals one of them wins, which is why i have a bad feeling that it won't happen. honestly? if it's mike, kara, and alison in the finals i'd probably rather just mike win. and this isn't some 'i hope a woman doesn't win' thing, i just would be really annoyed at seeing alison win just because this idea that she was a threat somehow infected everyone. its genesis seems to have come from people thinking she's a physical threat, but hasn't really been much moreso than anyone else. i don't know what kara has done, if anything. at least mike can say he rallied the votes toward christian, getting out perhaps the biggest threat in the game (i don't know if mike is actually to credit for this, but i could see the argument being made).

it's a shame davie and nick kind of screwed up because i would have felt both of them had a pretty solid game going. but mistakes happen, i guess. they're still the most deserving people there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mike is Jeff's friend and I don't think that had zero influence on how he was treated by production on the island or depicted by editors.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Adus posted:

i just would be really annoyed at seeing alison win just because this idea that she was a threat somehow infected everyone.
I wouldn't hate it if she went on an immunity run or made fire but the edit is jarring if this is their way to show her building relationships with the jury. Hopefully the pay off is that it's a season long joke when someone reveals they inflated Alison to build their resume.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Zesty posted:

Mike is Jeff's friend and I don't think that had zero influence on how he was treated by production on the island or depicted by editors.

Care to elaborate? Maybe you're not, but it sounds like you're implying that he's actually been playing a deceivingly poor game and Jeff doesn't want to give him an unbecoming edit, both of which I'm having a hard time believing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just imagine if Tyler Perry was playing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I have a feeling we're going to be hearing about the rice at least one more time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Literally everyone at this point is basically anxiously awaiting Angelina's completely unaware Final Tribal speech about that time she heroically saved all their lives by sacrificing herself and winning rice and slaying a dragon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If Angelina wins I want her first purchase with her newfound million to be rice.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

It'll probably be a jacket.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think I'd honestly prefer an Alison win over Kara at this point. I've barely remembered the latter exists the last few episodes and her only major move post merge has been... to cut Dan as an ally.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
At this point with it seeming less and less likely that Nick and Davie are going to win I don't see how the Angelina comedy option isn't the best possible outcome.

She gonna buy a jacket made out of rice.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Also I don't care so much about the theme and life stories but it feels fair to presume that if you're a "goliath" you're probably doing okay financially.

Also Nick is a freaking lawyer.

In all honesty though, other than the virgin babby early seasons I don't think wealth has ever really come up as a voting criterion at end game.

The one time I remember it coming up during FTC was in Fiji.
Stacy asked Earl about the money partially because Dreamz had talked so openly about being truly poor and Earl talked about how that money would be life-changing for any of them.
It really felt like Stacy was looking for reassurance that would allow her to vote for someone other that the person who needed the money the most, but it did show that wealth is at least a consideration.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I hope she tries to bribe the jury and her opening offer in the negotiation is $99,000 to every juror if she wins

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

- Mike, Angelina, and Nick ALL tipped Christian off as well. I love how bad this cast is at Survivor. The whole dramatic "reading people" idol thing he did was all a show to try and keep them all thinking they were the one person he was trusting.
This interested me. Like, they all knew he had an idol, so did all these people actually want Gabby gone before Christian? Curious. That’s everyone except Gabby, Alison, and Kara.

Wasn’t “radical honesty” what Adam Klein said he was doing? I think it can work if you’re playing from the middle. If you’re at the top I don’t think you can get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Chili posted:

At this point with it seeming less and less likely that Nick and Davie are going to win I don't see how the Angelina comedy option isn't the best possible outcome.

She gonna buy a jacket made out of rice.

:hmmyes: