Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr. Pickles posted:

just play MUDs

muds are basically dead, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

There are a few subscription based ones that are swarming, and some free ones that are doing pretty well, such as Discworld, Aardwolf
and Batmud

And hellmoo is still up too, with PK on toggle (idk if anyone is still playing it though)

clubDeuce
Dec 1, 2010
the play.net MUDs (GSIV and DragonRealms) are all doing fine, though they're something like 40% bots/scripters by volume but hey, that's the kinda poo poo you get from MUDs

the IRE MUDs are slowly dying, Achaea is doing fine, and their "modern" scifi/cyberpunk mmo called Starmourn is slated to release early 2019 and looks reasonably promising

hellmoo is still up and is a pretty respectable game on its own if you can deal with the content

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sandbox MMO w/ PvP will only be good if there of an equal amount of care given to the PvE content and an interesting world. Most important of all is fun core mechanics that aren't smashing hot keys. Really, get away from the hot keys and people would be down for almost anything.

Wurm Online is my personal sweetheart because my brain worms get fed by me building a house and chairs and getting eaten by mountain lions while foraging for tree saplings and butchering my own corpse for exp.

For the uninitiated, Wurm is basically minecraft, but not blocky and much slower with progression. Back before it was on Steam, it would take about a week to build a small shack
with a bed. Here's the complexity involved to make a bed.

Need to cut down a tree, chop off logs, use a saw to make planks. A pickaxe will be needed to mine iron, which will need a stone furnace to melt down the iron chunks into pure ore (the process of melting will take about 20-30 minutes if its a furnace made by a newbie). An anvil will have to be made, as will a hammer to create nails. You'll also need to get furs by butchering some kind of animal that wont murder you outright, and you'll need cotton sheets from somewhere so good luck growing cotton which you'll aslo need a farm and rake for. Also, all of these actions, like making an anvil or putting a saw together, all have timers with success rates and dice rolls.

It was definitely harsh. But even cooler was that 95% of the game world was made by players, so the map felt incredibly organic. One of the older maps/servers, had a player made canal which probably took thousands of man hours to make. There were also plenty of public services and buildings made by players for other players to use. The old map that had a canal also had a highway with rest stops, signs, and water fountains, which were all supremely useful for other players. Even though skilling was complete hell, I never felt that immersed in a MMO world. It was totally 100% real.

Nowadays, there's player owned servers which have ridiculously high exp gain multipliers, which actually make the game somewhat playable to possibly average gamers. I look back warmly on those times I was starving to death, hiding in a cave from a giant bug, but I'll never go back to that because i'm going to grow old and die eventually and dont want to remember that on my death bed.

Anyways, Wurm Online is a bad MMO and no one in their right mind should consider playing it.

my hot take for grand sandbox MMOs, or most MMOs really, is that they should all have faily generous sleep/offline bonuses. I know that'll enrage the poopsockers, but it makes any game feel less like a job and allows people with responsibilities to still enjoy the bulk of the MMO content.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
Don't forget that everything (i don't know about now, I haven't played in a long rear end time) had a "quality" rating, which was on components, tools, walls, etc. It determined effectiveness of tools, damage from weapons, durability, and more. Imagine spending hours a day, every day skilling up your blacksmithing by improving iron nails or hammer heads in order to get your skill up and to mass craft tools that were worth anything. I forget, but I think improvement could fail and you could waste the materials. Building poo poo failed, everything could fail. Combining this with how long it took to do anything and you were looking at a long, long time and a lot of manpower to do anything worthwhile in the game.

I have very fond memories of that time. I'm also absolutely insane.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Sounds just awful and exactly why no one plays MMOs anymore

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dr Tasty posted:

Don't forget that everything (i don't know about now, I haven't played in a long rear end time) had a "quality" rating, which was on components, tools, walls, etc. It determined effectiveness of tools, damage from weapons, durability, and more. Imagine spending hours a day, every day skilling up your blacksmithing by improving iron nails or hammer heads in order to get your skill up and to mass craft tools that were worth anything. I forget, but I think improvement could fail and you could waste the materials. Building poo poo failed, everything could fail. Combining this with how long it took to do anything and you were looking at a long, long time and a lot of manpower to do anything worthwhile in the game.

I have very fond memories of that time. I'm also absolutely insane.

Yeah improvements could fail and eat up resources doing so. Displayed success rate percentages seemed odd, because you could fail a 95% action a few times in a row, then somehow pull off a 8% action on your first try.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sounds just awful and exactly why no one plays MMOs anymore
It's even worse when you see it in action. This is a guy probably sawing logs, because that's the wood cutting "animation".

Grinding aside, I can never take MMO stories seriously because the landscapes are generally unchanging based on story progression, and you see other "chosen one" players with super advanced gear. The games oftentimes like to pretend there's no other players hoping around, and you individually are sole savior of the world and this specific NPC's best friend. I haven't gotten into MMOs for like the past 5-7 years now, aside from niche ones like Wurm or Project Gorgon, so maybe this stuff has changed. I would like to see a semi serious MMO somehow address that you are one of many adventurers that'll all become galaxy saving heroes if you poopsock hard enough.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2020

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

has anyone said "there has never been a good mmo" yet itt

qft. Not one, except maybe early UO, early SWG and EVE. These three are(were) horrible games, but offer(ed) a great multiplayer experience

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The only good MMOs have been:

UO
Pre-CU SWG
Vanilla WoW

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq was about a thousand times better than vanilla wow.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

buglord posted:

Grinding aside, I can never take MMO stories seriously because the landscapes are generally unchanging based on story progression, and you see other "chosen one" players with super advanced gear. The games oftentimes like to pretend there's no other players hoping around, and you individually are sole savior of the world and this specific NPC's best friend. I haven't gotten into MMOs for like the past 5-7 years now, aside from niche ones like Wurm or Project Gorgon, so maybe this stuff has changed. I would like to see a semi serious MMO somehow address that you are one of many adventurers that'll all become galaxy saving heroes if you poopsock hard enough.

I agree with this and the games i'm playing now is a tad guilty of this too. It's rare to see an mmo acknowledging that other players to exist and even have quest for that. I guess the reason it's the way it is has something to due with devs feeling lazy. Now that might not be the case but that's my theory on the issue.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Lineage 2 was so much better than vanilla wow. Actually vanilla wow had nothing going on, it was the worst game ever. People played it en masse because back then we all thought blizzard was infallible and that they made good games (we were wrong their game was a shitshow)

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 13, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

puberty worked me over posted:

Xsyon was sorta Wurm 2.0 (Minecraft of course being the real Wurm 2.0) and heavily highlighted how good Wurm could have been with less grind and actual animations for everything. Xsyon also had dynamic ecosystems based on player and animal behavior. Unfortunately it also had zero meaningful PvP, strange native american + trash people aesthetic, and zero marketing so basically no one played it.

For the time the player made towns and cities were fairly neat:

Still waiting for a Minecraft but it doesn't look like piss game.

every once in awhile I like to look through the community hubs for dead MMOs, and Xyson is one of the ones that makes me :psyduck: the most. it still appears to have maybe a dozen players still inexplicably doing things and theres just hundreds of videos and images of these weird settlements people meticulously crafted and then abandoned

I know there's at least one museum dedicated to digital objects but I hope one day there's some kind of a virtual mausoleum that saves all of these virtual worlds as like explorable artifacts. it sucks to think all this creativity is just gonna be lost.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

I got to the level cap and did some end-game content in vanilla wow, whereas I only got to like level 20 in eq, sooo :shrug:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fruity20 posted:

I agree with this and the games i'm playing now is a tad guilty of this too. It's rare to see an mmo acknowledging that other players to exist and even have quest for that. I guess the reason it's the way it is has something to due with devs feeling lazy. Now that might not be the case but that's my theory on the issue.

I feel like it would work in a WW2/WW1 RPG, if such a thing is cursed enough to exist. I'd imagine the "shared world" thing would be easy enough to write itself. You got the masses of people, the expectation that many will progress and many will quit, and the reasonable expectation that even the best player can't save the world, and that there's many other players still climbing the ranks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I got to the level cap and did some end-game content in vanilla wow, whereas I only got to like level 20 in eq, sooo :shrug:

yeah i only got to ~30ish in eq and it was still better.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

buglord posted:

There is a line or 2 in FF14 where NPCs mention that it was smart of you to bring along 7/23 other murderhobos to help you, and there are also multiple characters in the story who have the same big special power as you (including an entire other party of murder hobos that attempt to murder you).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Imagine an MMO where the combat wasn't tied to a hotkey or lovely.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Generally agreed but kinda apples and oranges.

Not having "loading please wait" was really revolutionary at the time.

Ironically, instanced dungeons were also a huge advantage over eq.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Same but 30

Got like 20 characters to level 15 though lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Imagine an MMO where the combat wasn't tied to a hotkey or lovely.

this has always been my dream. we're way past the point where you need cooldowns and autoattacks due to lag and poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

this has always been my dream. we're way past the point where you need cooldowns and autoattacks due to lag and poo poo.

I wouldn't say "way past" for mmos, but we are past where its definitely doable. Still a challenge though.

Still want a dark souls mmo more than anything.

Also mmos more focused on movement, like, could you do a platforming mmo?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fruity20 posted:

FFXIV does this to an extent actually. YOU are the 'Warrior of Light', the super powered warrior who beats up everything. Every other player is another adventurer who's strong, and has the 'Echo' that makes them special, but you're the most special. It even explicitly mentioned you calling on your adventurer friend in dialogue from main plot NPCs, before you go into some instanced battles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

I don't think its laziness per se, but it is harder to write for. WoW constantly struggles with this ludonarrative dissonance, where the players both constantly save the day and are superpowered superheroes, but they're also still just grunts in the army who have to follow orders and can't be like, kings themselves. And its always you doing things while the rest of the world and players are just background.

EVE the other players are the narrative, so it inherently includes them.

Destiny and Division are like mmo-lite but they both intentionally make the player one of a large faction, Guardians / The Division, so that way they can ask you to do tasks but still have it make sense that others are out doing the same things you are.

I got into the closed beta for Anthem so I was curious to try it out, but the drat launcher refused to download the game, just kept freezing.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Yeah. Wow

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Anytime I see, "the game starts at level 50' or "the real game is the end game."

I'm not gonna touch it because if the end game is where it's at why do I have to slog through 100 hours of bottom barrel gameplay to get to it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anytime I see, "the game starts at level 50' or "the real game is the end game."

I'm not gonna touch it because if the end game is where it's at why do I have to slog through 100 hours of bottom barrel gameplay to get to it

I agree I don't understand this poo poo. I think it's to artificially inflate your impression of the game as an accomplishment or something, I don't know. Video games are all psychology and marketing.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
atlas is going to be the best game ever

i hope

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Diablo 4 as Blizzards long term successor to wow would be lovely.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ColdIronsBound posted:

blizzard is a mobile company now

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ColdIronsBound posted:

Diablo MMO makes no sense to me. They'd make WoW 2 instead. Diablo's gonna stay an arcadey game. (And become mobile lol)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Diablo MMO makes no sense to me. They'd make WoW 2 instead. Diablo's gonna stay an arcadey game. (And become mobile lol)

If they made WoW 2 and didn't have some kind of carryover of characters, gear, achievements, etc the internet would burn to the ground. Since the only reason to make a new one would be to wipe everything and start over, or because the notoriously increasingly archaic code of the current game finally becomes too much to handle, either way it'd likely be very badly received.

Not that that would stop them from buying it.

Given that the inside baseball on scrapping HotS is that Activision is tired of Blizzard taking a trillion years to make new games (and who knows how true that is but I'd believe it) and that all their currently running games are gradually making less and less profit I'd be surprised if a whole new MMO got greenlit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

titan was a really dumb idea (yeah overwatch came out of it but they got lucky) and they shoulda gone for a starcraft mmo or something.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm looking forward to Diablo 4 being announced as a collectable card game for mobile only.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
For something that isn't traditionally an MMO, Blizzard could give it discounted battle-pass type pricing ($10 a season, seasons are 10 weeks) and base ongoing/post-launch development on that model.

No barrier to entry, established player base, free core content for everyone.

Ongoing cost to players increase the amount of stuff available. Think current Diablo 3 post launch development with way more substance, dev's have incentive to introduce a PVP mode, way more Rift's, more tilesets etc. Tie some progression to player, some to character to encourage seasonal play bla bla bla. But with all the MMO-ness of lots of players in a shared world, game could launch concurrently on console & pc as the controller support is already there.

It would make oodles of money

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Like every Blizzard Plot ever, their past corrupts them and each iteration is a shell of its former self.

Maybe Jay Wilson was just warning everyone: they Used To Be Good But Now Are Bad.

Still a solid stock pick though, as particular and rabid as gamers are in the news and on social media they are very predictable consumers of video games.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I wouldn't say "way past" for mmos, but we are past where its definitely doable. Still a challenge though.

Still want a dark souls mmo more than anything.

Also mmos more focused on movement, like, could you do a platforming mmo?

DDO had some platforming stuff that was really fun, but only like one or two dungeons from what I remember actually had a lot of it and they were usually more like puzzles than combat related. Kind of a shame they were actually really good dungeons from what I remember.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wonder if there's any way to distill the interesting group content in mmos (there's really nothing like Mythic+ in any other game out there, and even raids are a big stretch for a lot of games) I wonder how well they'd even hold up without the loot grind/treadmill to serve as a rewards system to keep it going

the closest equivalent I can think of for M+ in particular would be like, Vermintide. And while that game series is great, for me it's a pale shadow of the complexity and enjoyment I get playing M+ in WoW with friends.

there's destiny raids but like, that game is just another mmo. i want to do the fun group content of the mmo, without the dozens if not hundreds of hours spent leveling, and gearing, and so on and so forth, just to do fun group stuff with friends.

I guess this was the market niche mobas discovered.

Minera fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
drat I feel old....having experienced the Wild West era of sandbox mmos, like Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane and others I don't think anything like this could ever be profitable again. These games were more like socio-political experiments than actual games.

Older gamers like me no longer have the attention span or spare time for such games while younger gamers seem to be kinda lost when dropped into a sandbox environment without clear goals.