Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

private property is a system of violence and it is enforced and continued by violence, at best you can outsource your violence to others

I don’t disagree in theory, but these same people’s kids were tortured murdered by the Tsar’s army for resisting conscription (I’m not searching through an entire Tolstoy book for a citation) so there’s kind of something to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, for those keeping score, in the last day or so, this thread has advocated (a) lynch mobs and (b) murdering the Amish.

Guess it's the right thread for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

docbeard posted:

So, for those keeping score, in the last day or so, this thread has advocated (a) lynch mobs and (b) murdering the Amish.

daps, my Martyr’s Mirror avatar brother.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

private property is a system of violence and it is enforced and continued by violence, at best you can outsource your violence to others

How does this theory square with Native American land ownership? The real answer is obviously "nuance" but you brought this up in the context of the Amish getting murdered

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Control Volume posted:

How does this theory square with Native American land ownership? The real answer is obviously "nuance" but you brought this up in the context of the Amish getting murdered

Native Americans obviously were not pacifists

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Native Americans obviously were not pacifists

"were" lol theyre still around my dude

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Control Volume posted:

You mean reserves? In the cases I'm familiar with, a band member may own a house, but the land it's on belongs to the tribe. Tribes are groups which claim not the right to privately own land, but to collectively govern themselves within a territory determined by historical occupation and use, was restricted and defined by treaties.

In the past, there was not conflict and agreements for ownership of territory, but rather use of specific resources within that territory. So a battle or negotiations might be engaged to secure the right to fish in a particular spot without being chased off by the those who already fish there.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Dec 14, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

docbeard posted:

imagine thinking the police arent the ones who were doing and protecting the lynching this whole time :aslol:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

docbeard posted:

I mean to be fair are the Amish really so great?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

christmas boots posted:

They're really bad, just like every religious fundamentalist enclave. They're basically the entire argument for outlawing homeschooling.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

christmas boots posted:

They're pretty bad, but not as bad as a lot of other people.

They're about 40 spots down on my list of people to guillotine.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
amish communities are rife with incest and sexual abuse and many other horrible things

but it's all worth it for uhhh, not having technology I guess

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theyre pretty hosed up but until someone develops a way fix those issues that isnt just forced cultural assimilation, Im not sure how to solve them

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Theyre pretty hosed up but until someone develops a way fix those issues that isnt just forced cultural assimilation, Im not sure how to solve them

:murder: apparently.

FWIW I have issues with the Amish, but that's the closest thing I could think of that people would recognize.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's the best of all outcomes: mercilessly destroying a group of people that can never post due to their way of life

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Hodgepodge posted:

In the past, there was not conflict and agreements for ownership of territory, but rather use of specific resources within that territory. So a battle or negotiations might be engaged to secure the right to fish in a particular spot without being chased off by the those who already fish there.

Eh, ownership varied. Some cultures like the Hopi, had collective management of houses and fields under clans, others like the O'odham had corporate group field plots but collective water rights, and other groups in the Northwest Coast had straight up private property rights and you could be killed for picking camas bulbs or fishing in an area another group owned. Ancient Hohokam probably had some sort of Proudhonian possession sort of tenure system, while Chaco Canyon had priest-rulers controlling some of the means of production.

Turns out Native American cultural practices are extremely diverse, more so than like, the European Subcontinent. And that's not even getting into Mesoamerican and South American peoples, which is a whole other deal. But like, some groups very much did have territorial ownership and enforced it.

KiteAuraan has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Dec 14, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

Eh, ownership varied. Some cultures like the Hopi, had collective management of houses and fields under clans, others like the O'odham had corporate group field plots but collective water rights, and other groups in the Northwest Coast had straight up private property rights and you could be killed for picking camas bulbs or fishing in an area another group owned. Ancient Hohokam probably had some sort of Proudhonian possession sort of tenure system, while Chaco Canyon had priest-rulers controlling some of the means of production.

Turns out Native American cultural practices are extremely diverse, more so than like, the European Subcontinent. And that's not even getting into Mesoamerican and South American peoples, which is a whole other deal. But like, some groups very much did have territorial ownership and enforced it.

and of course by the time any Europeans saw any of this they were looking at the sub 10% of the original population that remained living in a Mad Max hellscape so in the vast majority of cases we really have no loving clue what things were like beforehand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Victory Position posted:

it's the best of all outcomes: mercilessly destroying a group of people that can never post due to their way of life

not posting is the only good thing about the amish

its something we could all do well aspiring to

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Control Volume posted:

Its extremely unfair that the kulak propaganda still persists but homosexuality being a counterrevolutionary fascist conspiracy doesnt even get the time of day anymore

one of the things that chafes me about the sanitization of stalin is that in a russian society in which homosexuality was decriminalized in 1917 after the october revolution, stalin recriminalized it as part of a political program to push people into nuclear families to produce more children. same reason he recriminalized abortion lol

(the real reason I am a trotskyist lol)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not trying to sanitise Stalin but genuine, non-rhethorical question because I'm legit curious: Was there any place on earth pre WW2 where being openly homosexual wouldn't gently caress you over pretty bad?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Teal posted:

Not trying to sanitise Stalin but genuine, non-rhethorical question because I'm legit curious: Was there any place on earth pre WW2 where being openly homosexual wouldn't gently caress you over pretty bad?

The Ottoman Empire

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Teal posted:

the Weimar Republic was pretty good about it by the standards of the time but whoops then Nazis happened

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Lobe posted:

one of the things that chafes me about the sanitization of stalin is that in a russian society in which homosexuality was decriminalized in 1917 after the october revolution, stalin recriminalized it as part of a political program to push people into nuclear families to produce more children. same reason he recriminalized abortion lol

That was definitely one of the things Stalin did wrong.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking back on history we can all do better. But also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCOFER-4hI

Kill 'em all let Marx sort 'em out

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody in our time, post the turn of the millennium, who is a diehard Stalinist, wants the brutalization of LGBT people.

What they really want is the steadfast, ironfisted relentlessness to brutalize the crapitalist class.

And for that, I will accept any unifying figure that gives the people comfort to crush the cockroach crapitalist under their bootheel without an ounce of guilt as they crawl into bed at night. We should not forgive the bosses. The bosses should forgive us for forcing us to this untenable position.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Nobody in our time, post the turn of the millennium, who is a diehard Stalinist, wants the brutalization of LGBT people.

What they really want is the steadfast, ironfisted relentlessness to brutalize the crapitalist class.

And for that, I will accept any unifying figure that gives the people comfort to crush the cockroach crapitalist under their bootheel without an ounce of guilt as they crawl into bed at night. We should not forgive the bosses. The bosses should forgive us for forcing us to this untenable position.

this isn't the correct take thread

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teal posted:

this isn't the correct take thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCOFER-4hI

Not men, fascists.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Taintrunner posted:

“Nobody who calls themselves a Stalinist actually is one” then?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lots of Amish communities are super poor and we’re hitting a point where they’re having to accept more and more modernization in order to survive at all

In plenty of communities families can barely afford shoes so women end up shoeless because why would they need them

We’re talking so poor people buy and sell used underwear

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lancemantis posted:

We’re talking so poor people buy and sell used underwear

This is literally a regular ad on Reddit now as a sex pervert thing

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

This is literally a regular ad on Reddit now as a sex pervert thing

I wish that I were a Reddit sex pervert. It seems like a simple, carefree life.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

I wish that I were a Reddit sex pervert. It seems like a simple, carefree life.

I'm too afraid of watching the walls closing in that I'd much rather be a vile Drummerist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrVgSVFXM8M

the actress is a First Nations hardass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

“Nobody who calls themselves a Stalinist actually is one” then?

If the tankies thread is any indication a shitload of Stalinists (and tankies in general) are just fundamentalist Christians with different trappings.

Honestly happens a lot and is a common issue with progressives and even feminists; changing the names and themes of their ideology without actually changing the beliefs, tenets and prejudices.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mulaney/status/1073289160822284289?s=19

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're not an Expanse superfan, ah well, the end of the second episode of the second season is the gritty noir space detective played by Thomas Jane of Punisher fame is blowing the brains of the genius super-scientist out before he can fully convince the chaotic neutral main characters from signing onto his horrible alien weapon science project.

Which in many ways is an accurate metaphor for the class war that heartlessly awaits us all

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If the tankies thread is any indication a shitload of Stalinists (and tankies in general) are just fundamentalist Christians with different trappings.

Oh gently caress off you anime pervert GBS dipshit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/indigowhiskey/status/1073354688484073472?s=19

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly happens a lot and is a common issue with progressives and even feminists; changing the names and themes of their ideology without actually changing the beliefs, tenets and prejudices.

maybe you shouldn't read that loving terrible thread then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1073448887711453185?s=19

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

(the real reason I am a trotskyist lol)

turned to entryism by comrade gritty. thought the concept was a failure, now I see it working in a really cool way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you aren't willing to kill your entire family or a hundred random people you know once the revolution comes you are a cuck