Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Alaois posted:

you could easily explain why flying cars aren't prevalent in the Marvel universe by saying that flying cars are a loving awful idea that was swiftly abandoned the first time someone actually tried it

Imagine if every car collision was a fatal drop to the ground below!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
There's no cancer cure in Marvel. That's pretty hard canon. They needed a disease that could whack superheroes and that superheroes couldn't magic away, and they made it cancer. It killed Captain Marvel, even.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

There's no cancer cure in Marvel. That's pretty hard canon. They needed a disease that could whack superheroes and that superheroes couldn't magic away, and they made it cancer. It killed Captain Marvel, even.

Wakanda canonically has a cure for cancer that they don't share.

In the actual The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel, the super scientists come up with a cure of Mar-Vell's cancer but he's already passed.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Elfface posted:

In fairness, I think he gave the guy his personal phone number rather than a mad science thanatopic forecaster.

Doesn't mean he didn't do that rather than use his shrink ray to fantastic voyage in and remove the cancer like he did for his mailman.

Yeah, you're right, I mixed that up with the loving thought reading device he invented and put in the guy's ear so they can communicate while he dies.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elfface posted:

I do remember Ms Marvel being pretty decent at showing off advanced tech in civilian uses, like her school having 3d printers that can make robots, and her costume's size changing was a friend's chemistry project.
Didn't Peter Parker just lose his fortune because someone invented an interdimensional plagiarism detector that showed his tech was "actually" invented by Otto Octavius (using Peter's body)?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

what??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Keromaru5 posted:

Didn't Peter Parker just lose his fortune because someone invented an interdimensional plagiarism detector that showed his tech was "actually" invented by Otto Octavius (using Peter's body)?

Why would that matter unless Otto had filed a patent under his own name? Newton still gets credit for calculus and Edison gets credit for the lightbulb.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keromaru5 posted:

During Hydra Cap’s takeover of the country, Otto (now in a new cloned body of Parker) was working with Hydra and decided to take over Parker Industries, which to be fair kinda got elevated to greatness during his tenure as Parker. During this takeover attempt Peter decided to broadcast to everyone in the company that Hydra was trying to take everything so they should burn the company to the ground rather than let that happen.

So they did and Parker Industries got destroyed from within.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still love how one of the major plot points of Busiek's Avengers Forever was trying to explain why the gently caress does humanity not have spaceships and all this other amazing technology when they keep running into advanced aliens all the time.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

During Hydra Cap’s takeover of the country, Otto (now in a new cloned body of Parker) was working with Hydra and decided to take over Parker Industries, which to be fair kinda got elevated to greatness during his tenure as Parker. During this takeover attempt Peter decided to broadcast to everyone in the company that Hydra was trying to take everything so they should burn the company to the ground rather than let that happen.

Alright, that's actually pretty cool. Peter was right.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Keromaru5 posted:

He lost his PhD, not his fortune. The fortune got lost as others have mentioned, during Secret Empire.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

now that's how you retcon a loving character development

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

He lost his PhD, not his fortune. The fortune got lost as others have mentioned, during Secret Empire.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alaois posted:

you could easily explain why flying cars aren't prevalent in the Marvel universe by saying that flying cars are a loving awful idea that was swiftly abandoned the first time someone actually tried it

I'm Nick Fury, and this man is right. There never has been flying cars, that idea was abandoned and not bought out by SHIELD along with the patent on jetpacks. There is no such thing, now this conversation should immediatly end, for no specific reason.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

This isn't the Post The Most Depressing Set of Panels Ever thread. :mad: I'm not some snowflake who demands trigger warnings on pictures of pomegranates, but sheesh, give us a heads up on that.

(Sorry, I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago, I wasn't there for her death, and of course this time of year makes me weepy as gently caress. Gonna go look at "A dog... A barrel... Ridiculous!" now.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Random Stranger posted:

I tried to find a different comic book mad science funny panel but I couldn't find one quickly...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Honestly, I care way less about why the various super-scientsts' work somehow doesn't change the world than I do about seeing them rub their bullshit in their colleagues' faces.

Someone should do a one-shot comic about a day in the life of a scientist tasked with replicating one of Reed's negative q-space expirements whenever he publishes a paper.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reed used to be able to use his powers to turn into a teenager, but only for one panel at a time.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Are those panels from JMS' run? I know he was on FF during Civil War, and I don't know, they rub me the wrong way like a lot of his stuff does. Maybe this was Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa instead? EIther way. I've also lost loved ones to both cancer and suicide and the way that sympathy is set up and played with in those two scenes just feels off and of a piece with the "Grounded" fiasco with Superman awhile later-- a willingness to cloyingly manipulate the normative stakes of the superhero comic without really thinking them through, in a way that reifies the genre's unspoken and uncomfortable gulf between the "super" and the non-super.

I want to reflexively compare the first scene in particular with the famous first pages of Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman-- very similar on paper, but where the Superman scene is about giving people the gentlest nudge to find tenacity and courage and hope in themselves, the FF scene feels overwritten and fussy, with Reed coming across as weirdly intrusive and Martin coming across as a caricatured wad of tragic tropes who exists just to show us how humane Mr. Fantastic is. "This poor schmuck-- good thing Reed Richards has deigned to grant him some of his precious time." It just feels-- I don't know-- condescending, almost disrespectful of death and grief.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What the hell is this about not having flying cars, SHIELD only uses flying cars :psyduck:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

joehonkie posted:

Imagine if every car collision was a fatal drop to the ground below!

"Check Hover Engine"? Bah, that's just a scam to make me pay for servicing more often.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bruceski posted:

"Check Hover Engine"? Bah, that's just a scam to make me pay for servicing more often.

Our patented vector thrust coil gives the 01-Versatran the ability to sustain normal flight in the event of a catastrophic multi-engine failure.

Versatran. It's the only choice.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

In the actual The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel, the super scientists come up with a cure of Mar-Vell's cancer but he's already passed.

They did a What If where they used that cure on Mar-Vell and it didn't work out great. He seemed fine, but he started to unknowingly emit some kind of cancerous virus wherever he went. The upside was that he inadvertently ended the Kree-Skrull War.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduchess posted:

Are those panels from JMS' run? I know he was on FF during Civil War, and I don't know, they rub me the wrong way like a lot of his stuff does. Maybe this was Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa instead? EIther way. I've also lost loved ones to both cancer and suicide and the way that sympathy is set up and played with in those two scenes just feels off and of a piece with the "Grounded" fiasco with Superman awhile later-- a willingness to cloyingly manipulate the normative stakes of the superhero comic without really thinking them through, in a way that reifies the genre's unspoken and uncomfortable gulf between the "super" and the non-super.

I want to reflexively compare the first scene in particular with the famous first pages of Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman-- very similar on paper, but where the Superman scene is about giving people the gentlest nudge to find tenacity and courage and hope in themselves, the FF scene feels overwritten and fussy, with Reed coming across as weirdly intrusive and Martin coming across as a caricatured wad of tragic tropes who exists just to show us how humane Mr. Fantastic is. "This poor schmuck-- good thing Reed Richards has deigned to grant him some of his precious time." It just feels-- I don't know-- condescending, almost disrespectful of death and grief.

Pretty sure it's Hickman's run. It sorta reminds me of when Muhammad Ali talked the guy down from a ledge in the 80's.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

They did a What If where they used that cure on Mar-Vell and it didn't work out great. He seemed fine, but he started to unknowingly emit some kind of cancerous virus wherever he went. The upside was that he inadvertently ended the Kree-Skrull War.

There's also the universe where Cthulhu told Mar-Vell on his death bed how even Death may die and the superheroes then proceeded to gently caress the universe up by following that advice and saving him. The best of all possible universes are ones where Mar-Vell dies.

Because then we get Monica Rambeau.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 15, 2018

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't have the panel, but the one I always like for "Reed is an rear end in a top hat" is him reaching out to another science-guy for help, saying "Dr Pym(?), you're the foremost expert in biochemistry on the planet. It would take me several weeks to get as good as you are."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

I don't have the panel, but the one I always like for "Reed is an rear end in a top hat" is him reaching out to another science-guy for help, saying "Dr Pym(?), you're the foremost expert in biochemistry on the planet. It would take me several weeks to get as good as you are."

Not quite what you were asking for but...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archyduchess posted:

I think it's Roberto Aguirre-Sacara's Marvel Knights 4.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I've said this too many times, probably in this very thread, but somewhere in that Venom series that starts off with an extended riff on John Carpenter's The Thing, Reed off-handedly mentions to Sue "oh yeah, I found these cool self-replicating spidery robots, they're extremely alien, not from any civilization we've contacted so far, but they're obviously builders."

Sue says "Builders? What do they build?"

Reed smirks and says "So far? Everything I tell them to."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

He should be careful. Mike Nelson destroyed about two or three planets that way.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Keromaru5 posted:

He should be careful. Mike Nelson destroyed about two or three planets that way.

To be fair, he only destroyed ONE planet that way. The other two he destroyed in completely different ways.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Random Stranger posted:

Not quite what you were asking for but...

The pettiest poo poo is that he calls him Hank instead of Dr. Pym.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Archyduchess posted:

The fact that there's absolute proof of a super awesome afterlife also undercuts the tragic death scene.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Thats a p ok comic bit

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a Bendis comic where the Illuminati are meeting up and everyone greets Strange as Dr Strange and Reed as Dr Richards, then Tony complains that he has three doctorates and nobody ever addresses him as "Dr Stark"?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a Bendis comic where the Illuminati are meeting up and everyone greets Strange as Dr Strange and Reed as Dr Richards, then Tony complains that he has three doctorates and nobody ever addresses him as "Dr Stark"?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Unless he's some kind of Reed Richards superfan, I don't really see having a total stranger hanging out watching you die is much of a comfort.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Esplanade posted:

Unless he's some kind of Reed Richards superfan, I don't really see having a total stranger hanging out watching you die is much of a comfort.

So there is this human fear about being completely alone while dying, and how Richard's machine literally ensures he will be with this man in his final moments.

There was a road safety campaign here a few years ago that had testimony from people who came across car accidents. It's a huge relief for families of deceased to know that someone (even a stranger) was with their loved ones as they died, so they weren't alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Huh, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that myself, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

To lighten things up, here's the lighter side of vehicular homicide, courtesy of The EYE: