Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Inspector 34 posted:

So after that Tom Cruise psa about motion smoothing I've been kind of paying more attention to my TV's and I already had it turned off on all of them. Thanks Tom!

But I'm curious about the term "soap opera affect". What is it that they do differently than everybody else and why do they do it if it's such a detriment to the picture? Sounds like the only benefit is in sporting events, so why isn't the the NFL affect or something?
Soap operas (and reality shows and sports stuff) are shot at 60 FPS and movies are shot at 24, so motion smoothing looks wrong on movies because they weren't shot at that framerate and motion smoothing is artificially making them look twice as fast as they actually are, making them look cheaper and more like soap operas.

Do you remember when Peter Jackson released a version of the first Hobbit movie in theaters in HFR (High Frame Rate)? It was in 48FPS instead of 24, so it looked twice as fast as a regular movie and it was lovely and cheap looking.

Movies have been shot in 24FPS since the 1920s. It's what everyone is used to when they think of movies. Doubling up on that looks wrong because it's noticeably different than what you normally think of when you watch a movie and no one has found a way to do it right yet.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
But why? Why do soaps shoot at a different frame rate than every other show?

Or put differently, why do they shoot at the same frame rate as things that are supposed to be happening live?

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 14, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inspector 34 posted:

But why? Why do soaps shoot at a different frame rate than every other show?

Or put differently, why do they shoot at the same frame rate as things that are supposed to be happening live?

Soap operas produce more episodes than any other kind of show. That costs money. So to save money they used cameras that shot on video at 30fps rather than film cameras. Lots of multicam sitcoms did the same thing. That gave it that live look. I would assume they shoot digitally now and have been for years but keep the high frame rate because that’s what their audiences are used to.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was there a point then where multicam shows switched over but soaps didn't? Was there a soap opera that tried to do the same and had some backlash? Are there multicam shows still doing this same thing?

I don't really expect any of you to have specific answers but it seems bizarre to me that everybody else decided on one thing and the producers/directors of soap operas buckled down.

30fps? Pfffffft screw that! 60FPS motherfuckers!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finished Patriot s2. Pretty good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector 34 posted:

Was there a point then where multicam shows switched over but soaps didn't? Was there a soap opera that tried to do the same and had some backlash? Are there multicam shows still doing this same thing?

I don't really expect any of you to have specific answers but it seems bizarre to me that everybody else decided on one thing and the producers/directors of soap operas buckled down.

30fps? Pfffffft screw that! 60FPS motherfuckers!

I'm no expert but I think you're just kind of overthinking this. Soaps just have really different production demands than primetime TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Grand Tour got renewed for a fourth season ahead of the premiere of the third, and they announced it's going to be all adventures and no tent segments

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who would still be watching that dogshit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well since it got renewed ahead of the premiere, a shitload of people

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is casual racism really all that entertaining

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I loved Top Gear, and don’t give a poo poo about cars, and the adventures were the best part, but the whole thing lost its luster for me when I found out what an insufferable douchebag Clarkson is.

If you feel the need to punch someone over a meal that they brought you as part of their job: you can get hosed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Who would still be watching that dogshit?

Look the options for car shows wherein stupid poo poo is done to cars are fairly limited.

And even then I don't know why I watch it since the last two seasons have demonstrated that they don't understand why Top Gear was good. I don't pay for Prime though so I don't feel bad about it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

Is casual racism really all that entertaining

no everybody hates it and trump is definitely not the president of the united states of america

because nobody goes for that poo poo. not anymore in woke 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I expect better from y’all tho

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Due to all the framerate talk. This is why film is 24 fps instead of 60 fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM16aiSSpFk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've seen exactly one movie in 60fps, it was the first Hobbit and it was the worst cinematic experience I've ever had.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Try seeing Spice World in the theater.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

I've seen exactly one movie in 60fps, it was the first Hobbit and it was the worst cinematic experience I've ever had.

I'm pretty sure that 60fps was toward the bottom of the list as to why that was the worst cinematic experience you've ever had.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GreenNight posted:

Try seeing Spice World in the theater.

I did several times and it was glorious tyvm

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

esperterra posted:

That explains so much.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

True.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure that 60fps was toward the bottom of the list as to why that was the worst cinematic experience you've ever had.

I've seen worse movies in the theater

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
48FPS in The Hobbit was pretty cool and unique, but it was in no way "objectively superior" to 24FPS like technophiles claim.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Spice World rocks, even has Meat Loaf as the bus driver. I've only seen it on VHS though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spice World isn’t as terrible as it should be but that doesn’t mean it isn’t pretty bad

(I still kinda love it)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

24 fps wouldn't have saved that thing.

esperterra posted:

The least surprising thing I've heard in awhile!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Pretty sure watching Congo in the theater was my worst cinematic experience. Either that or Masters Of The Universe because half the screen was blurry for like an hour because the projectionist didn't give a gently caress.

Amy bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My worst cinema experience was Constantine. The only time I’ve fallen asleep in a cinema that was actually because of the movie and not due to exhaustion like when I saw La La Land at the London Film Festival haha

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've told this story before, but seeing Justice League last year was the worst for me, because not only was my theater uncharacteristically crowded so I couldn't get any concessions, a rowdy teenager hit me in the back of the head with a thrown water bottle. :argh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

My worst cinema experience was Constantine. The only time I’ve fallen asleep in a cinema that was actually because of the movie and not due to exhaustion like when I saw La La Land at the London Film Festival haha

I had forgotten about this but falling asleep reminded me. The Matrix Re(whichever one had that rave scene) put me to sleep in the theater. I wasn't tired or anything, the movie just was that boring.

The worst theater experience related to theaters I guess would be Munich, in which it was a packed theater and the old lady next to me kept farting anytime anything happened.

Thank satan for giant tvs and quick turnaround to blu-ray. I haven't set foot in a theater since the last Fast and Furious movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the cinema experience but it’s annoying that basically every device I own has better dynamic range than 99% of cinema screens.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm still convinced that The Fifth Element is the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater I really hate that movie

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hated Fifth Element when I saw it as a kid but then I saw it again as an adult and now I have the correct opinion that it’s real good

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I loving hate AMC. So they've got this AMC Stubs Premiere™ bullshit where they've got two lines to get concessions/tickets at my local theater (they closed the box office and combined the two functions). If you're standing in the regular line for no matter how long, if a AMC Stubs Premiere™ member walks up to the other line they will always pull from that line first. On a busy Friday night you may very well miss your movie because if enough people pay to cut in line ahead of you you're just hosed. Eat poo poo AMC.

Also The Fifth Element is goofy as gently caress and I love it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

I love the cinema experience but it’s annoying that basically every device I own has better dynamic range than 99% of cinema screens.
Does any theater near you have a Dolby Cinema screen? Because I have a couple near me and they're even better than IMAX (well, the more mainstream fake IMAX). I saw Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse for the second time yesterday at the Dolby theater and it looked and sounded loving incredible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first one opens on the 20th, and I booked to see The Favourite then already. If it’s as good as you say that’s exciting!!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He also hates dogs. IC has.... strange opinions.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Some one needs to adapt Fevre Dream

I say Willem Dafoe for Sour Billy....Who should play Hairy Mike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

The first one opens on the 20th, and I booked to see The Favourite then already. If it’s as good as you say that’s exciting!!
I saw The Favourite last night too, after Into The Spider-Verse. It didn't grab me much :(

I was hoping for more from Yorgos because Killing Of A Sacred Deer was on my favorite movies of the year list last year, but The Favourite was just kinda standard and unremarkable outside of some odd camerawork here and there.