Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Triple A posted:

Man, they really just like leaving those fuel rods around just on the station dock.

Also, I think the intriguing thing in room G5 is the noose that you didn't notice but I noticed it at 19:34

To be fair the documents suggest that they were transporting stuff out of there before something catastrophic happened and they had to evacuate. Working in a lab myself (not with anything radioactive) I did cringe when you went into the lab with an active alarm going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Infra isn't a horror game. Horror games rely on pacing and atmosphere to work, and the best ones tend to be simple, at least in execution. And the developers were so eager to throw in everything they wanted to do that they completely murdered the pacing and made the plot so bloated it doesn't really stand up to scrutiny... so even if they did throw in some googly mushroom monster to menace Mark, it still wouldn't be scary and would likely be just one more annoyance to deal with.

But it is, at times, an uncomfortable one. At least, I found it so when I played through; after the annoyances of the last few levels, I was pleasantly surprised that even through all the pointless busywork, the silence and continued loneliness did actually feel oppressive in the SNW Bunker. The noose, the implied body in one of the rooms, the reappearance of our friend the mask, the "demon core" room and wondering just what was done with it, the room full of bodies (unwieldy conspiracy theories or not), and the implication that the people who were here left in a hurry... it did discomfort me, so much that a sudden noise actually made me stop exploring a room and move on quickly. Does it justify all of the bad things to get here? Not quite... but one criterion by which I judge a game is the general feeling I get from playing it, and it is impressive to me that over a span of time I went from wanting somebody to find me... to hoping nobody did.

... OK, I admittedly never knew about what jumping on the bodies did, though; that is admittedly hilarious, and kneecaps what I just said quite a bit, so... sew buttons, I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The creaking bathroom was odd because that wasn't something that was reproduced elsewhere. So why was it there?
We just don't know.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hell yeah you lot all thought some crazy loving ideas but "explore abandoned nuclear bunker" wasn't one of em huh?

BTW note that Richard and his neighbour could both see the Masked Figure.

EDIT: I think there's a corpse on the bed that's intriguing.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 14, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

resurgam40 posted:

so even if they did throw in some googly mushroom monster to menace Mark, it still wouldn't be scary and would likely be just one more annoyance to deal with.
Mark and the Mushroom Monster would definitely be a bizarre reverse horror where Mark is the one stalking the Mushroom Monster to get some photographs, and ends with a him making a satisfied quip about how many batteries he has.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Mark's devotion to stoically doing his job, completely unaffected by all this weird crap reminds me of this xkcd comic: https://xkcd.com/705/

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Those bodies looked to be in remarkably good condition after laying in a damp room for 30 odd years. Almost like the dead guy we found in the woods way back at the beginning of the game. Mark is also just dead to the world now, nothing really phases him any more. Maybe that's why he used those nuclear fuel bundles to ram those other nuclear bundles out of the way and then ran into a cloud of radiation without a care. He's just daring death to come get him now.

Why did they run a subway line through a secret nuclear bunker anyway? I get they were probably trying to hide the supply lines into the base but wouldn't people notice the freight trains traveling around? You gotta build your super secret railroad under the other railroad, super villian style. Not like anyone would notice the construction budget doubling in this place.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

You can follow Mark's progress on this interactive map.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Well that's interesting. The demon core achievement refers to the actual demon core btw. Basically in the good old days of nuclear science you'd reach criticality (nuclear reaction and massive amounts of radiation) by placing a reflector material over a ball of nuclear material (a core) by hand, and if you didn't do this exactly right you'd be exposed to a massive amount of radiation and die. The demon core in real life was one such ball that had a bit of a habit of killing people.

You forgot to say that during the original, real life, Demon Core experiments they literally propped up the half shell by sticking a screw driver under it. When the screw driver gave way, the person in the room died. That's the second person to be killed by the Demon Core, btw.

This is a recreation of what the thing would've looked like:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
wait there's a dlc?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

It should be added that the screwdriver event wasn't really even an experiment ajnymore. More a demonstration that Slotin had done multiple times before, and had been told "this is going to get you killed."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

wait there's a dlc?
There will be DLC.

There's also https://store.steampowered.com/app/951240

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The tiny sheet with the bear was really sad.

Then you walked on it and i laughed. Im going to hell

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

The creaking bathroom was odd because that wasn't something that was reproduced elsewhere. So why was it there?
We just don't know.

There was a bear on the toilet. When I saw that I realized it was just toilet humor, the bear was taking a poo poo.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

2077 is the year of the Great War in the Fallout games, so that's a pretty appropriate code for a door in a secret, underground nuclear bunker.

Gonna agree with everything resurgam40 said about this update. Really atmospheric, puzzles weren't too obnoxious, seemed pretty cool overall. The room with the bodies was haunting at first, but the voice lines.... yeesh.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There should totally be an event or something in Open Sewer about Mark progessing underneath the area and infrastructure on the surface the players use collapsing/malfunctioning as everything goes to poo poo in Marks wake.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I believe that panel you found in a bedroom is identical to the ones I mentioned at the Pitheath water treatment plant. I've looked at the Stalburg wiki and yeesh, the ARG has become way more complex and involved than when I last played the game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Bought the game a few days ago, I believe it's currently on sale. Having an absolute blast with it so far. Just managed to overtake where we're up to in the lp finally, playing through the game personally definitely helps more to follow the coherency of the actual conspiracy plot. The secret military base seems a lot less out of left field if you remember that Stalburg was under martial law shortly after the stell mill went bankrupt.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

a kitten posted:

Serval no! That's dangerous!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i'm just still thinking about the fact this whole conspiracy was to produce a Finnish nuclear bomb. This is completely at odds with Finlands defense policy during the cold war.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

i'm just still thinking about the fact this whole conspiracy was to produce a Finnish nuclear bomb. This is completely at odds with Finlands defense policy during the cold war.

I think the whole thing is more inspired by the Swedish attempt at the program.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Triple A posted:

I think the whole thing is more inspired by the Swedish attempt at the program.

no, Sweden was competent.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

no, Sweden was competent.

Sweden knows the dark secret of making concrete that doesn't suck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Sweden knows the dark secret of making concrete that doesn't suck.

And lasting batteries.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
You try finding a pair of D cell batteries from the 1970s that still work.

Mark should try shaking the flashlight more when it begins to die. That usually keeps it going for a bit longer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

22/ A drat fine cup of coffee!

Trains stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899&userid=106859

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This appearance of the Masked Figure genuinely scared me. Especially when I noticed he somehow opened the flood door for me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That whole level feels like its meant to be a training wheels have now come off level for previous puzzles but there's been so much padding in between those that the point go lost.

The coffeemaker is cute but not sure why it had to be mandatory for progress.

Also I'm pretty sure you were supposed to use that spot with the switches to right the train so it pointed forwards.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Couple of interesting points, since I've played through this bit a few times, with and without a walkthrough, likely the exact same walkthrough.

With the flushing pipes, you can actually get an extra valve by trying to turn the other sewer pipe valve near the bottom, it snaps off.

With the mini-trains, I think you're supposed to actually enter that doorway and then dodge the two mini-trains that saw run past, on your way to the other side of that gate door, which is how I did it initially. The guide that you're following found a way to just climb over the pipes instead which just skips the entire obstacle.

Also in regards to UGU, there's actually a branching path in the tunnel you were in where you can see that statue thing, which allows you to enter the room, and you can get a much closer look at it. According to the Stalburg wiki it might have something to do with some ancient Sumerian god Ugur, some meta plot code stuff seems to confirm this or something. I might also be wrong, and I haven't seen it referenced anywhere else in my findings, but I'm pretty sure that the statues teeth are made out tiny beer bottles.

And yeah that switching puzzle completely stumped me, didn't have a clue what to do with it, I honestly think most of the puzzles in this game are fine and you generally trial and error your way through many of them eventually, but the problem I have with this one is that I have no idea what the hell the solved solution to it was supposed to look like.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That was a very spacious and well lit storm drain. Also some very dickish puzzles scattered throughout - guess that is their way of ramping up the difficulty?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I apologise profusely for this:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Why? its beautiful

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Feeling that when all photos Mark did with some commentary gets published, Stalsburg instantly descends into little rioting amid total infrastructure collapse and skyscrapers falling left and right.

Mind, skyscrapers may very well fall left and right right now, but it would be even more apocalyptic.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
His commentary on the photographs he's taken is going to be along the lines of "hell I don't know where this is, it's somewhere between 'roof collapses #3' and 'toxin-filled tunnels #7'. I think it was somewhere near the place that some hobo was making beer out of sewage and glowing mushrooms, but before the third office building where there was literally no one loving working in the middle of the day."

"How was the beer?"

"Eh, a little weak."

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Geomancing posted:

His commentary on the photographs he's taken is going to be along the lines of "hell I don't know where this is, it's somewhere between 'roof collapses #3' and 'toxin-filled tunnels #7'. I think it was somewhere near the place that some hobo was making beer out of sewage and glowing mushrooms, but before the third office building where there was literally no one loving working in the middle of the day."

"How was the beer?"

"Eh, a little weak."

that is extremely finnish

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I only imagine Mark going to the job the next day and cataloging the location of every single photo with terse but accurate descriptions and suggestions on what improvements that needs to be done.
"Dam Photo #34, electrified generator room. Turn off and pump out water. Fix walkway."
"Tunnel photo #59, Mushroom cave. Collapse."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Should've just been talking joke photos the whole way through - aim at the actual problem but make sure something else is in the way so you get a picture that's two thirds rusty iron bar, a nondescript pallet or a wall with seemingly nothing wrong with it. Make the debrief an even more fun game of Where's Waldo.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Mark's probably going to spend the rest of the year doing paperwork just for this one day.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Geomancing posted:

"How was the beer?"

"Eh, a little weak."

It's also quite strange when you photograph various bits of decayed infrastructure and then photograph some giant collapse in the same room.

'#24 crumbling pillar, #25 Giant pile of rubble, probably also includes said crumbling pillar.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Zeniel posted:

It's also quite strange when you photograph various bits of decayed infrastructure and then photograph some giant collapse in the same room.

'#24 crumbling pillar, #25 Giant pile of rubble, probably also includes said crumbling pillar.'
"#24 crumbling pillar."
"Is that a main support?"
"Funny you ask that."