Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jmzero posted:

I tried once on Tabletop Sim and I have no idea how you would actually complete a game that way. I'm sure it gets easier as you get more used to TTS, but there's just way too many things to manipulate and look at there to try doing it with clumsy digital hands.
The version we're playing has scripting to help with the admin. It has a button to reveal player cards and draw monster actions, then it automatically populates an initiative tracker (each card name has its initiative value in parenthesis, as well as whether it reshuffles the deck), buttons to draw attack cards from the active player's deck or the monster deck (which then auto-shuffles when you hit "end round" if the attack card reshuffles the deck), buttons to empower elements (which it then automatically decays when you hit "end round"), placing things like obstacles, traps, and coins is way easier when you can just copy-paste, the stickers on the map snap to preset anchor points (and so do the map tiles, but that's got adjustable resolution and we never quite figured out the right one to snap in proper alignment, so we just set it so high that it stops the snaps), you can find monsters and map tiles with a Ctrl+F the name while searching the container... There's just a lot of stuff it does that must have been a pain in the rear end to code and bugtest, and the only times we've ever had technical difficulties, it's because we did something like forget to tell it we weren't using certain monster zones, or renamed cards and forgot to keep the syntax intact. It takes about 2ish hours to finish a two-player mission, including events, set-up, and knockdown (and I'm getting better at doing that quickly), plus or minus about half an hour depending on map size.

Actual complaint, you can't put stickers on the cards because of engine limitations, but we COULD change the names (for example, "Eye for an Eye (+1 Heal) (18)"), and also make reminder notecards we stuck near the (also cloned) class boxes and a copy of the achievement list page.

Edit: It's also just a really good game, and that does help with keeping us motivated to learn to streamline what we're doing. We're playing a Brute and a Quartermaster, he retired a Cragheart and I abandoned a Spellweaver after one mission for being impractically squishy with just two players, and I just hit level 7. We've named all our characters after Dave Ryder MST3k name jokes (Slate Slabrock, Ro'el Fizelbief, Big McLargehuge, and Bob Johnson, so far), and we're playing very reputation positive and perhaps overly-benevolent after my Inox Brute (Mission 3 spoilers) kinda sorta maybe accidentally massacred a village of my own people.

Edit 2: Screenshot of the layout. Zoomed out to hopefully make spoilers indistinguishable, but still spoilered just in case.

Edit 3: Also, Hail is the best board game game NPC ever created. :allears:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Jabor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the digital version ends up having a more complicated set of tiebreakers for where monsters end up, or even a "if there's a tie, pick randomly". Player choice works great when the players are picking up the monster and moving it anyway, but is quite disruptive if the computer is in the middle of moving a bunch of monsters and then stops to ask you about it.

It's kind of funny that Gloomhaven has a bunch of the same issues converting to digital that D&D4 does when you try - there are a heap of interrupt points and optional choices that you don't notice in real life but grind a computer UI to a halt. Same deal with Magic the Gathering.

It would be really painful not having control over which space monsters walk into though, it'd devalue a lot of AOE effects.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine the best idea would be the ability to set in the options menu whether the AI picks automatically or not. (If it does, it probably goes something like "manual", "Least (proportional?) damage likely dealt", "most isolated from other monsters", (etc), "random", to keep it simple and simulate decent player decisions. It would always default to random if it couldn't figure out one that would meet your preference.)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

My top games of all time:

Terraforming Mars
Root (old rules)
Feudum
The Networks
Charters-hahaha ok I can’t keep going

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Oh no there are going to be people who assert that the original version of Root's rules are superior

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The “fixed” Lizard rule about checking Outcast makes so much sense, I had to double check that it was a fix.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fixed what now? Old rules?

I have the Kickstarter edition. Is that old or new? What memo did I miss?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DogCop posted:

First draft of the Root tournament ruleset is up

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2091456/towards-tournament-rules-and-faction-parity

Relevant changes:

Vagabond:
1. Repair does not alter the refresh-state of the item. If it's exhausted when it's damaged, it remains exhausted.
2. Infamy points (those gained for eliminating pieces belonging to a hostile player) are only scored if you are the active player.

Lizard Cult:
1. When determining which suit is outcast, if the outcast does not change and is not hated, it becomes hated.
2. Sacrifice (playing bird cards). Take a warrior from your supply (instead of the board) and add it to your acolytes.
3. The Mouse and Bunny card draw icons are now on the second garden (not the 3rd and 2nd)

Otters:
I have a couple of small alterations to the Otters also in the works to make them a little more precarious and less bursty in their scoring, but I want to play them a little more locally before I share that rule.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Kiranamos posted:

Terraforming Mars
Root (old rules)
Feudum
The Networks

I think Feudum is such a shame. It's a really cool game, gated behind a, completely unnecessarily, complicated rule set. There are so many things that leap out as things you could streamline without hurting the game. (Not least of which would be making paths clear on the board).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

Terraforming Mars
Root (old rules)
Feudum
The Networks

The Networks is actually pretty decent, especially when you've got an expansion in so you're not always seeing the same jokes.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Jedit posted:

The Networks is actually pretty decent, especially when you've got an expansion in so you're not always seeing the same jokes.

The Executives expansion is great too because it introduces asymmetric player rules.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

!Klams posted:

I think Feudum is such a shame. It's a really cool game, gated behind a, completely unnecessarily, complicated rule set. There are so many things that leap out as things you could streamline without hurting the game. (Not least of which would be making paths clear on the board).

This. Indie publishing for boardgames still has a ways to go.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

On the Root changes: has Cole ever come out and said that they would be rolling an upgrade kit? I'd pay $15 for corrected boards and rule books.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm still waiting on being able to buy Root at all. Every retailer I see has it on pre-order. I thought the game was released already?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

That BGG link shows the finalized changes in Cole’s second post. Field hospitals is now discard a card to save all rolled hits and WA got a huge nerf in sympathy points. The Lizard and Vagabond changes are pretty much the same.

I’m excited to see how the new WA feels, in our games they had become pretty oppressive or pretty oppressed. I’m hoping this change will let other players worry about them less, causing them to fester a little more on the board.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

On the Root changes: has Cole ever come out and said that they would be rolling an upgrade kit? I'd pay $15 for corrected boards and rule books.

Cole has said a sticker upgrade kit will be available once rules are finalized. Not sure through which channels yet. Cole is a swell guy 💓

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yes, just like Munchkin!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Shadow225 posted:

We're mulling over our options, but we've got your back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

Yes, just like Munchkin!

Hey, have you heard about this poo poo game called Gloomhaven? You can grab loot away from other players, it's just like Munchkin!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Jedit posted:

Hey, have you heard about this poo poo game called Gloomhaven? You can grab loot away from other players, it's just like Munchkin!

Sorry, let me edit my post to say CAH instead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

All games are basically munchkin if you think about it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tekopo posted:

All games are basically munchkin if you think about it

I challenge you to explain how 18xx can be munchkin

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CommonShore posted:

I challenge you to explain how 18xx can be munchkin

bad share dumping in 30 types can sometimes feel like it :o:

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

SettingSun posted:

I'm still waiting on being able to buy Root at all. Every retailer I see has it on pre-order. I thought the game was released already?

Honestly, compared to his other games, Root exploded far, far, ridiculously beyond how many they expected to sell. I put in an advance order for the third re-print going out just now, and i think it's completely sold out too.

Check the Leder games store weekly, and when you see pre-orders are possible, put one in. The price is un-gouged, and you'll get it eventually.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I only played it once at a con and thought it was fine, why does The Networks suck?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djfooboo posted:

Cole has said a sticker upgrade kit will be available once rules are finalized. Not sure through which channels yet. Cole is a swell guy 💓
I like how Puzzle Strike (eventually) did something similar.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Boxman posted:

I only played it once at a con and thought it was fine, why does The Networks suck?

It doesn't, though I don't see it being particularly highly regarded by the average poster here just based on the general tastes here. If anything it might trade a little heavily on its humor and references and be pretty light on overall game play, but YMMV there.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm still figuring out the board game landscape after getting into it in the last 3-4 years or so, but am consistently confused in this thread when Dominion seems to be well regarded. Based on this thread's distaste for Catan, I feel like Dominion would suffer the same fate, and yet people seem to enjoy it. I've played it a half dozen or so times and find it atrocious. I understand why it is a good entry into board games and deck builders, but the mechanics are both far too entropic and simple. It feels like it has more in common with the classic kid's card game War than sophisticated deck builders like Magic, Netrunner, etc.. What am I missing here?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I'm still figuring out the board game landscape after getting into it in the last 3-4 years or so, but am consistently confused in this thread when Dominion seems to be well regarded. Based on this thread's distaste for Catan, I feel like Dominion would suffer the same fate, and yet people seem to enjoy it. I've played it a half dozen or so times and find it atrocious. I understand why it is a good entry into board games and deck builders, but the mechanics are both far too entropic and simple. It feels like it has more in common with the classic kid's card game War than sophisticated deck builders like Magic, Netrunner, etc.. What am I missing here?
It's strategic in a similar way to how poker is.

Next time you play, if you do, run the Big Money strategy. Buy only Silver, Gold, and then victory points. This is considered the baseline strategy that any use of the market cards has to beat. If you don't know how to do that, and don't have a plan for how to maximize the probability of being able to play a hand that goes off, you'll end up with a pile of cards that don't play nice unless they randomly want to.

If you play MtG, try to remember what playing Draft badly with a pie-in-the-sky game plan with an unsynergistic deck is like. That's a comparable example.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Merauder posted:

It doesn't, though I don't see it being particularly highly regarded by the average poster here just based on the general tastes here. If anything it might trade a little heavily on its humor and references and be pretty light on overall game play, but YMMV there.

As someone who has certainly enjoyed Thread Sanctioned Bad Games, The Networks still disappointed, and I went in expecting to like it. The decision space is quite small and I won by a ridiculous margin by taking the OtA expansion cards that easily score way more than the base game. It’s not an offensive game but to regard it as a top game of all time is the marginally funny joke I was making.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

It's strategic in a similar way to how poker is.

Next time you play, if you do, run the Big Money strategy. Buy only Silver, Gold, and then victory points. This is considered the baseline strategy that any use of the market cards has to beat. If you don't know how to do that, and don't have a plan for how to maximize the probability of being able to play a hand that goes off, you'll end up with a pile of cards that don't play nice unless they randomly want to.

If you play MtG, try to remember what playing Draft badly with a pie-in-the-sky game plan with an unsynergistic deck is like. That's a comparable example.

That's been my exact strategy because I am often playing the game with a set of market cards I'm not familiar with (so essentially a new set of rules every time I play), so I just purchase silver/gold -> victory points. Drawing a good hand feels good like a morphine drip, but it otherwise feels very shallow. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jewmanji posted:

That's been my exact strategy because I am often playing the game with a set of market cards I'm not familiar with (so essentially a new set of rules every time I play), so I just purchase silver/gold -> victory points. Drawing a good hand feels good like a morphine drip, but it otherwise feels very shallow. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

Grind out a few thousand games online and get back to us :v:

On a real note, it’s just an incredibly tight and elegant game with literal infinite replayability and seemingly infinite depth of strategy as well. It is still the best deckbuilder which says a lot in a hobby that is so built upon iterative design cycles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

It might help that #1 learning Dominion advice is play with a small pool of possible market cards, and don't even look at expansions until you feel like you have a very solid grip on them all.

Bottom Liner posted:

Grind out a few thousand games online and get back to us :v:

On a real note, it’s just an incredibly tight and elegant game with literal infinite replayability and seemingly infinite depth of strategy as well. It is still the best deckbuilder which says a lot in a hobby that is so built upon iterative design cycles.
Second best. For all his faults, Dave Sirlin is obsessed with high level play balance.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Na Dominion is still better

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jewmanji posted:

Based on this thread's distaste for Catan, I feel like Dominion would suffer the same fate,

Curious where this thought came from. I don't personally hate Catan because it's popular and everything, I hate it because it's so random and easy to have strings of turns were you can't do jack poo poo. Dominion does not have that problem -- well, it's possible to have an unplayable hand on a single turn but it's pretty rare and turns are quick enough that it doesn't matter (plus if you get all your victory points in one turn it means your other turns before you shuffle will be guaranteed good.)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I find Dominion to be one of the most unpleasant optimization exercises I've ever experienced and I'll never play it again, so jot everyone loves it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I didn't get to say it 3 pages ago, but I'm slightly offended by the insinuation that Puzzle Strike is 99% Dominion, 1% alternate scoring system. It's quite obvious that PS is 99% Dominion, 1% alternate scoring system, and 100% more interesting of a theme.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm one of those goons, and I definitely say you should at least try Dominion before you decide. If it feels slim and elegant and deep and rich, then great, get that poo poo.

But if you, like me, feel like it's a game engine or mechanic without really any actual game attached, get Puzzle Strike instead.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I have no idea how Dominion and Catan would be considered alike. They don't share significant mechanics or defining characteristics. If you go by level of politics - perhaps the most important measure in modern game design - they're at absolutely opposite ends of the spectrum (Dominion being in the bottom 2% for politics and Catan in the top 2%, I'd say).

Magic and Netrunner are both high randomness, non-political (by definition as there's only 2 players in the "proper" game), high rewards-to-skill games. They're also some of the last games I'd think to compare with Dominion, unless I was explaining the difference between a deck builder and a deck construction game (which are different genres).

Edit: I like Dominion, but I agree with others that it's super dry. When we played, we enjoyed it as kind of a skill testing puzzle - and I think it does that very well - but I see how it's not for everyone. That said, those flaws are nothing like the flaws in Catan. Also, agreeing with Cathouse below, Slay the Spire is amazing - I think it's the best deck building game yet (though I don't know how well it would work with real cards).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jewmanji posted:

That's just a matter of playing more games until you get a good strategy down. A well made deck should be consistent in Dominion, just like for MagicTG. Also, most of the successor deckbuilders add more RNG on top of the shuffle RNG in Dominion. While there have been exceptions, like Valley of the Kings and Eminent Domain, most of them have more snowballing and luck compared to Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Slay the Spire made me wish for a dominion-like with an action point economy. For what it is,I agree that dominion is perfect.