Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I want confetti cannons shooting rice out over the crowd as Jeff reads the winning Angelina vote. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just want one final Indiana Jeff montage

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think I'd honestly prefer an Alison win over Kara at this point. I've barely remembered the latter exists the last few episodes and her only major move post merge has been... to cut Dan as an ally.

She literally didn't even do that. She was talking about how it was going to be her big move and then Nick/Carl did the vote steal and idol nullifier, which forced Kara and Alec to react and vote Angelina in case they needed to save themselves. They weren't in on that vote.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Presented without comment.

I love the guy but at the same time

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Poque posted:

She literally didn't even do that. She was talking about how it was going to be her big move and then Nick/Carl did the vote steal and idol nullifier, which forced Kara and Alec to react and vote Angelina in case they needed to save themselves. They weren't in on that vote.

She really wanted to though. And to be fair, her face when Alec and Alison told her it wasn't happening was hilarious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't want Angelina to win, but I never want the Coach/Phillip to win. It ruins the joke. I rather a forgettable Kara/Alison/Mike win and preserve our ridiculous Angelina game without screwing that up by justifying her actions and decisions.

Spergatory posted:

She really wanted to though. And to be fair, her face when Alec and Alison told her it wasn't happening was hilarious.

Yeah, I don't think you can knock Kara for not making that move. She wanted to, she set the chain of events in motion. Alec and Alison screwed her over by being so messy and stalling out the plan (and then making it look like a shameless rear end covering at the end). Kara has actually seemed to be playing a solid game, she's just kind of been in the situation where her best move has consistently been to let targets go at each other. It doesn't make for much of a resume but if she wins it will probably be a question of how well she handled things socially.

Fast Luck posted:

This interested me. Like, they all knew he had an idol, so did all these people actually want Gabby gone before Christian? Curious. That’s everyone except Gabby, Alison, and Kara.

Wasn’t “radical honesty” what Adam Klein said he was doing? I think it can work if you’re playing from the middle. If you’re at the top I don’t think you can get away with it.
I think it could theoretically work if played with the idea that "you can't trust people, but you can trust their own self interest." Christian did seem to recognize that and I think factored it in. Its why he considered trying being honest and upfront with Gabby but ultimately decided it wouldn't work because it made too much sense for Gabby to want to get him out. So like, if your needs can align with another players, by all means be "radically honest." Manipulation is inferior to just cutting a mutually beneficial deal. But that's not always the situation.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spergatory posted:

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't think you can knock Kara for not making that move. She wanted to, she set the chain of events in motion. Alec and Alison screwed her over by being so messy and stalling out the plan (and then making it look like a shameless rear end covering at the end). Kara has actually seemed to be playing a solid game, she's just kind of been in the situation where her best move has consistently been to let targets go at each other. It doesn't make for much of a resume but if she wins it will probably be a question of how well she handled things socially.

I think you can knock her on it. It was the move she wanted to make but she ended up having to last-second react to somebody making it out from beneath her. That's a really bad look. Ultimately it didn't really matter because the Davids self-destructed but I would consider that a huge negative to her overall game. Good for her that she recognized Dan was dragging her down, but she ended up getting blindsided by her own play.

I definitely agree with the last couple sentences of your post, STAC - she's in a situation where it's best to let others go at each other. But I think there's a way you can own that and we haven't seen her do any of that. To be fair, we haven't really seen her do much of anything, and I don't seek out podcasts/interviews to know if there are other castaways calling her a threat or wondering about her edit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
If Angelina is in F3 someone on the jury should bring a bag of rice from Ponderosa, hand it to her and say, "Okay now we're even, no more rice talk, nobody cares".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Poque posted:

I think you can knock her on it. It was the move she wanted to make but she ended up having to last-second react to somebody making it out from beneath her. That's a really bad look. Ultimately it didn't really matter because the Davids self-destructed but I would consider that a huge negative to her overall game. Good for her that she recognized Dan was dragging her down, but she ended up getting blindsided by her own play.
She did but like without Alec and Allison on board she just didn't have the option to follow through. That was clearly a case of her wanting to do it, committing to it by making a deal with teh Davids and tipping them off about Dan's idol, and really putting her own game on the line and Alec and Allison just being hilarious flakes. And we saw how frustrated Kara was with them but what could she really do? It blew up and was a disaster for all of three of them, but I put that blame firmly on Alec and Allison.

Poque posted:

I definitely agree with the last couple sentences of your post, STAC - she's in a situation where it's best to let others go at each other. But I think there's a way you can own that and we haven't seen her do any of that. To be fair, we haven't really seen her do much of anything, and I don't seek out podcasts/interviews to know if there are other castaways calling her a threat or wondering about her edit.

The stuff I've gotten from exit interviews is that there's kind of a general like for Kara and respect for her social game but no "she's a low key strategist" vibe or anything. I think if she did win she'd be regarded as a Michelle who just navigated things more smoothly than flashy but there's no real surprises to be told, I don't think.

I'm definitely not making a strong case for her or anything. I just think to be fair in a season where most players have played TOO hard and made mistakes that cost them its a little tough to get on Kara for not making a move that she clearly wanted to make (and that would have been really aggressive) but that other players screwed her on. It doesn't mean she gets major points for it either, though. But in fairness, she tried.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Agreed with all of that! That whole situation is probably why Mike doesn't consider Alison a threat to win in the end. She is a better example of somebody who has talked about the moves they want to make but has just sat back and let the moves be made - and then inevitably in the next episode she'll have another interview about how she's tired of being passive.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've kind of championed Allison's case earlier in the season but if we're looking for the typical "floater" who was never willing to pull the trigger on the big move they "needed" to win Allison is really the only one who fits the bill this season. The (perceived or real) threat status of Allison puts her in a better position than that but there's a case Mike (and maybe Kara) can make in Final Tribal about how Allison kept being passive while they were proactive. I think.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 14, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Angelina probably thinks the rice sacrifice has her coming in with about 5-6 jury votes (the number of jurors who were in the game at the time) and a majority, but that her negotiation skills can get her up to 7-10 and a landslide win.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just noticed on my draft page that no one has won immunity twice and Angelina is the only active player who hasn't won it.

Also Pony/Poison count.

~Ponies
John 6
Gabby 1
Jeremy 1
Kara 1 :h:
Natalia 1
Nick 1 :h:

~Poisons
Alec 3
Dan 2
Davie 2 :c:
Christian 1
Kara 1 :c:
Pat 1

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 14, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nick hasn't won immunity, either. If they both win we could end the season with only one repeat win, since there are three immunity challenges left.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
in honor of 13 (?) great episodes and in pessimistic anticipation of being backstabbed by a disappointing finale:

:blindside:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Christian is the first survivor I genuinely want to be friends with in real life. Even without a beard.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

garthoneeye posted:

The one time I remember it coming up during FTC was in Fiji.
Stacy asked Earl about the money partially because Dreamz had talked so openly about being truly poor and Earl talked about how that money would be life-changing for any of them.
It really felt like Stacy was looking for reassurance that would allow her to vote for someone other that the person who needed the money the most, but it did show that wealth is at least a consideration.

In Australia they didn’t want Keith to get to the finals because he was a dentist and therefore rich.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bigass Moth posted:

In Australia they didn’t want Keith to get to the finals because he was a dentist and therefore rich.

Early virgin babby season. People were way more into morals and the social experiment back then.

Also Keith was an obnoxious jerk.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wasn't Keith a chef?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, they're thinking of Dr Carl in Africa.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Zesty posted:

Just imagine if Tyler Perry was playing.

He's done doing Madea movies. He's got a lot of spare time now...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nick hasn't won immunity, either.

Oh oops.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Poque posted:

Wasn't Keith a chef?

Yeah, a bad one from Bloomfield Hills, MI which is a rich geriatric suburb full of dickwads. Calling him a chef indicates his handiness with a can opener against the creamed corn. Anyway, he had more cash than a chef rightly should, and all signs indicate that he's not a good cook, which tracks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zesty posted:

Just noticed on my draft page that no one has won immunity twice and Angelina is the only active player who hasn't won it.

Also Pony/Poison count.

There are Survivor drafts? Is that like fantasy football or whatever with Survivor instead? Also, what is pony/poison?

Just finished season 18 Tocantins. I ended up rooting for Sierra for whatever reason, I think I'm predisposed to wanting to back up whoever is getting bullied, especially if they manage to get someone else kicked before they get theirs. Some very satisfying vote offs though, Tyson and Coach evictions are some of my favourite yet. Has Coach ever owned up to his bizarre lies or has he integrated bullshit into his core being and can't do that within unraveling his own existence? I also feel/dread he's someone who is going to be back on another season.

Is the winner of the season also being the winner of the sprint player of the year going to be a recurring theme? Like, it's kind of annoying the sole survivor is even an option to begin with but presumably they do it before anyone can know that. Last couple seasons it hasn't even seemed like the most likeable person had won.

edit:

Starting season 19. I know squatty Russell is a notorious reality star type guy and I already see why. I have some vague recollection of hating this dude, though I don't think I ever saw this season when it aired. Was he on Big Brother before this and was notable there for being a piece of poo poo person too, or am I just misremembering everything and maybe I did actually see this season at some point?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 18, 2018

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Khanstant posted:

There are Survivor drafts? Is that like fantasy football or whatever with Survivor instead? Also, what is pony/poison?

Just finished season 18 Tocantins. I ended up rooting for Sierra for whatever reason, I think I'm predisposed to wanting to back up whoever is getting bullied, especially if they manage to get someone else kicked before they get theirs. Some very satisfying vote offs though, Tyson and Coach evictions are some of my favourite yet. Has Coach ever owned up to his bizarre lies or has he integrated bullshit into his core being and can't do that within unraveling his own existence? I also feel/dread he's someone who is going to be back on another season.

Is the winner of the season also being the winner of the sprint player of the year going to be a recurring theme? Like, it's kind of annoying the sole survivor is even an option to begin with but presumably they do it before anyone can know that. Last couple seasons it hasn't even seemed like the most likeable person had won.

i like sierra for the most part since i understand her frustrating position, but man she really needed to stop talking after she voted for coach and for some reason kept trying to run it back.

the winner also winning player of the season actually isn't something that happened that often from the ones i can remember. it stops being a thing not long after that season though. i can't remember the last time they had it, but i don't think it was long past season 21 if that

also hey my kara pony pick is.. paying off? i dunno, not like i'm winning anything.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, a bad one from Bloomfield Hills, MI which is a rich geriatric suburb full of dickwads. Calling him a chef indicates his handiness with a can opener against the creamed corn. Anyway, he had more cash than a chef rightly should, and all signs indicate that he's not a good cook, which tracks.

This is an oddly specific dis.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bigass Moth posted:

This is an oddly specific dis.

It was a running gag in the season that his rice was terrible :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

edit:

Starting season 19. I know squatty Russell is a notorious reality star type guy and I already see why. I have some vague recollection of hating this dude, though I don't think I ever saw this season when it aired. Was he on Big Brother before this and was notable there for being a piece of poo poo person too, or am I just misremembering everything and maybe I did actually see this season at some point?

CBS went Hantz crazy for a while. Russell was on three Survivor seasons, his nephew Brandon was on two seasons, and his brother Willie was on BB. You may remember him from head butting a random guy and throwing pork rinds at Janelle before getting expelled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its sorta hilarious that Russell garnered this iconic reality game show fame by managing to walk the line of being a repugnant rear end in a top hat but not actually doing anything worse than burning a guy's socks even if you knew he had it in him. And then all his family members get cast and they turn out to not have the restraint Russel had and just start headbutting, stalking, and generally freaking the poo poo out of everyone. Hell of a legacy.

Well, that and losing in the exact same way twice and whining like a baby that its unfair.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Russell was also on the last season of Australian Survivor. He went in thinking he was a God and then got voted out with an idol pretty much right away lol.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm hardly one to defend Russell, but I think anyone they brought over from the U.S. seasons would have had a very similar fate. Maybe not 'voted out with an idol at the second TC' dumb, but there's no way someone like Parvati or Rob or Cirie would be able to easily dodge a target like that, either.

In other minor, petty news, Dan posted a cast picture on his Instagram, tagged everyone, and then Jeremy untagged himself and it's the most delightfully childish thing ever. :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think most players with a rep would have to deal with it the way Cirie did on Game Changers. But also like, a lot of it is what kind of rep you have. Cirie had to deal with it because she had a rep as a sneaky player. Parv is probably wise enough to never play the game again because she'd come in with a rep as a bullshitting snake. Russell can't play Survivor anymore because we all know who he is. So like, chicken or the egg I think it comes out the same.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, they could bring in someone 'wholesome' like Malcolm and they'd still get pegged as a big threat.

I don't think that means anyone they could have brought in would be immediate candidacy for a first boot (someone like Amanda or Wentworth would likely be able to snake by for a while), but a lot of the big time players probably wouldn't go very far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really disagree, I just think like if you're being brought into a cast because of your pre-existing rep then you're gonna get judged on that rep. So it feels "earned" even if others would earn it too.

I still like to remember the Hantz legacy as the equivalent of a family starting a drunken brawl at a block party because daddy thinks he was done wrong.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Have they done an All Stars vs newbies season yet?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Invalid Validation posted:

Have they done an All Stars vs newbies season yet?

They've had two Fans vs. Favourites seasons. One of them went very well and is regarded as one of the best seasons of all times (Micronesia). The other was Caramoan, which was... not very good.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I'm ashamed to admit that I watched the Hantz brothers' reality show where they flipped houses.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Micronesia was fine TV but it wasn’t fair at all. Returnee tribes always beat newbie tribes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
e: not worth it

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Who are you letting spoil you? Kill them.

Above is a potential winner spoiler.