Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seriously though, I feel like they could overhaul the economic and demographic base of CK in the next edition. I think a lot of the stuff they're doing with pops and trade in Imperator could be added to the next iteration.

I mean, I know we're all playing CK for the interpersonal dynastic drama, but that doesn't mean the world beneath them can't be overhauled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are a lot of things they could do to make CK3 a noticeable upgrade. The building system is pretty lame, after a few hundred years, every holding will just have all the buildings built. There's little variation. Constantinople has the Theodosian Walls, that's the only map unique building at all. Merchant republics have a special building in their capital, some steppe affiliated cultures have replacement buildings for barracks and stables in steppe provinces, Tibetan culture Buddhists or Bön pagans have special monasteries in their castles, Hellenic pagans can choose to dedicate temples to certain gods (about 10 different iirc), which grants those temples the shrine associated with that god. And certain bloodlines allow you to build a special building chain in castles/cities/temples (dependent on the bloodline) you control. But that's it, and it's not a lot of variation. And a lot of it is pretty limited. You will find some Gompa monasteries in Tibet and perhaps parts of Northern India, you usually have about 3-4 merchant republics at the most, and Hellenic pagans are super rare if not controlled by the player. And there are only so many steppe provinces.

There's a big potential for a building chain overhaul, to make provinces feel more unique. This could tie in with a genuine trade system, the Silk Road is very abstracted and limited in that regard. The new African Silk Road analogue is much better, because you have gold mines, salt mines, weavers, etc. Instead of the same trade post type in the whole Silk Road. And of course, there's a lot of room for more genuinely unique buildings. The Hagia Sophia, or the House of Wisdom in Baghdad, etc. I'm sure there were a lot of cool buildings in India that I don't know about as am ignorant European.

Building and trade improvements are just one thing that would make CK3 a good idea imho. Muslims need a big overhaul for example, as do most non-European "feudals". Allowing us to leave a will concerning how our possessions are distributed would be really cool as well. I can think of a lot of positive changes. And if they improve the core mechanics enough, they can probably better build on that to create even more unique gameplays for Muslims, merchant republics, hordes, pagans, Indians, Chinese? Theocracies? Landless adventurers? That I would be willing to once again pay for a Sword of Islam, the Republic, etc. DLC.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pylons posted:

Just make The Guild 3 but actually good this time.

Yes please, this.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pylons posted:

Just make The Guild 3 but actually good this time.

Aw crap, is it bad?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do you make a sequel to a game with 15 DLCs without pulling a The Sims and ripping out half of the features?

We did it with EU3 -> EU4 so :shrug:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Spritepacks aren't real DLC, that's only 4.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

And you can basically write off divine wind because it was horrible. 3 expansions isn’t much.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Personally I don’t think covering non feudal stuff would be a small thing. Beyond making playing in China (and the Byzantines, and Muslims, and so on) better, it could mean allowing you to play as landless characters and so on. I think it’d open a bunch of things up, and it also seems like the kind of change that’s hard to do in the current game.

That + better graphics/portrait genetics + some changes to some economic systems like mentioned above (although I don’t think they need to go too deep on that, it’s not that kind of game) + streamlining the DLC features into the base game and I think it’s plenty justification to do a CK3.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Koramei posted:

Personally I don’t think covering non feudal stuff would be a small thing. Beyond making playing in China (and the Byzantines, and Muslims, and so on) better, it could mean allowing you to play as landless characters and so on. I think it’d open a bunch of things up, and it also seems like the kind of change that’s hard to do in the current game.

That + better graphics/portrait genetics + some changes to some economic systems like mentioned above (although I don’t think they need to go too deep on that, it’s not that kind of game) + streamlining the DLC features into the base game and I think it’s plenty justification to do a CK3.

I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned that the whole combat / war side of CK2 also has plenty of room for improvement. It should obviously never be a low level thing in regards to combat like ordering units around but there is A LOT you could do with setting up formations / battle plans (events) and having more (indirect) player input in combat (mods that added proper duels are also a hint in which direction you could go). A lot of strategic and tactical depth could be added in that area and that doesn't even mention that the military and economy aspects of CK could (should?) be more intertwined (supply and manpower are handled in a very basic way, you could certainly do a lot more with them).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Aw crap, is it bad?
Typical early access game. And they based it on The Guild 2 instead of the, in my opinion better, first game. :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have to agree with the sentiment that there is plenty of things that can be done in a theoretical CK3. Most of these have already been listed, but
  • Economy
  • Buildings
  • Province Management
  • Trade
  • Drastically different non-Feudal playstyles (Hordes, Pagans, Muslims, Byzantines, India, China, and the little things in between)
  • Migrations
  • Disasters
  • Combat
  • Make Theocracies and Republics a normal playstyle rather than a special Merchant Republic only

and there is probably more. You dont need to go into Pop Detail like Imperator is doing but adding it so you can play as a Republic of X where instead of playing as a family line, you are playing as that republic and you play as the spirit of that republic like in EU4, but if you lose the namesake city its gameover (or something like that).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't forget that moving to 64 bit let them put about as many provinces (cities) in Imperator as CK2 has baronies. Even if bishoprics and towns remained unplayable that's a huge visual upgrade.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I would gladly shell out for CK3 where all the best parts of the DLC from CK2 were rolled in with a ui and map overhaul. And that's not even getting into all the stuff that could be done with buildings, the economy, and combat.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do you make a sequel to a game with 15 DLCs without pulling a The Sims and ripping out half of the features?

Include all the DLCs in the base game. Have new engine that supports many goverment types. Streamline everything. New DLCs are for new goverment types: Deus Vult for Theocracies, Lambs to Lions for non-merchant republics, Pirate Life for Criminal Megacorps, Purple Phoenix for proper non-feudal Bizantine mechanics, etc. Eventually they'll release Europa by Night with WoD themes :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I also think that there is a good number of people scared away from CKII because of its complexity and the sheer quantity of DLC. Most people think that you cant play the game without at least some DLC and even with sales it can be a big bill to get the ones you think/heard that you need, By doing CK3, people who are interested in CKII/heard good things about it but never got into it because of the entrance cost and complexity may say "I'm going to get in on this one from the start".

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
CK3 should add in some more interaction with the peasants/workers. mainly I'd want it to add another side to the roleplaying aspect - you can go hours in a game without getting any events that remind you peasants exist, and the only thing you can do to interact with them of your own volition is hold a feast. yeah it's a state craft game, but the peasants were an important force in the medieval world, especially when it came to the sort of impact heresies could have, or if you're a merchant republic, the trade guilds could gently caress your poo poo up as bad or worse than discontent vassals. poo poo, I should be able to go through my demesne and find any quick/strong kids and bring them to my court.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have to agree with the sentiment that there is plenty of things that can be done in a theoretical CK3. Most of these have already been listed, but
  • Economy
  • Buildings
  • Province Management
  • Trade
  • Drastically different non-Feudal playstyles (Hordes, Pagans, Muslims, Byzantines, India, China, and the little things in between)
  • Migrations
  • Disasters
  • Combat
  • Make Theocracies and Republics a normal playstyle rather than a special Merchant Republic only

and there is probably more. You dont need to go into Pop Detail like Imperator is doing but adding it so you can play as a Republic of X where instead of playing as a family line, you are playing as that republic and you play as the spirit of that republic like in EU4, but if you lose the namesake city its gameover (or something like that).
I think most importantly to a sequel is we have examples of the hardcoded bits hammered into things trying to be all of that between DLC or mods. So the designer and programmers can build some of the core to support the same ideas in a way that we can finally get away from "this new mode is feudal, but these events make it do this"

A good CK3 will be technically missing features from CK2 DLC but its ok because it will obviously not fit 1:1 in the new game and you can see the bolt-on points where it might with mods or newer better DLC.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Aw crap, is it bad?

They had to completely switch developers because the ones that made the Early Access didn't know what the gently caress they were doing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I expect them to plan how they will deal with non feudal characters etc in the base game of CK3, but I'm fine with stuff that was DLC locked like merchant republics in CK2 being the same in CK3. Maybe make Muslims playable from the start, as they sre kinda s big deal.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ck3 will properly incorporate the "peasant commune" govtype from the ck2+ modmod for Mazdaki rulers. You will be able to spend all game adjudicating disputes between various villages and towns while donating whatever small amounts of tax income end up in your coffers to those most in need by sending agitators to neighboring realms to sponsor suspiciously well-armed peasant uprisings

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If you compare release Catholic with today's Catholics (with all DLC), it's a huge improvement. If CK3 ships with this kind of Catholic gameplay, plus a big overhaul to make decadence more fun and Muslims in total more historically accurate, it would be a good bargain. I certainly don't expect to be able to play pagans, republics, hordes, etc. at CK3 release, those will likely still come with DLC. And I would be fine with that, as long as they further improve those governments.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Ck3 will properly incorporate the "peasant commune" govtype from the ck2+ modmod for Mazdaki rulers. You will be able to spend all game adjudicating disputes between various villages and towns while donating whatever small amounts of tax income end up in your coffers to those most in need by sending agitators to neighboring realms to sponsor suspiciously well-armed peasant uprisings

Just wait for my slow rear end to finish and play:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I also think that there is a good number of people scared away from CKII because of its complexity and the sheer quantity of DLC. Most people think that you cant play the game without at least some DLC and even with sales it can be a big bill to get the ones you think/heard that you need,

I can believe it, because that is exactly me with EUIV!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

this loving rules

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there's a terms of service agreement when you first boot up CK2 where you agree that the world should be ruled by monarchs and aristocrats because the common people are inherently inferior.

I'd like a CK3 that opens up from the focus on aristocracy, but at that point maybe it'd be better to come up with a new name for it, especially since the crusades are already just a fancy sideshow in the game and not at all central anyways.

In fact, I'd be just as happy to leave the Crusader Kings series fallow for a few years and see Paradox do something weird and new, like maybe a full-fledged fantasy game to build off of the weird stuff they did with Holy Fury.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

StealthArcher posted:

What is this I must have it

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

indigi posted:

this loving rules

Now you get to decide if the people in question's government form, the Crimson Republic, bothers you when it's done.

Service Guarantees Equality, Citizen. We shall all know more.

Starship Revolutionaries

Crazycryodude posted:

What is this I must have it

Tentatively named Tyrannum Universalis cause I'm creative as a brick. It's my total conversion mod that takes a long time to work on solo.

That said, here's a province map I finished a while back:

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 14, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

indigi posted:

CK3 should add in some more interaction with the peasants/workers. mainly I'd want it to add another side to the roleplaying aspect - you can go hours in a game without getting any events that remind you peasants exist, and the only thing you can do to interact with them of your own volition is hold a feast. yeah it's a state craft game, but the peasants were an important force in the medieval world, especially when it came to the sort of impact heresies could have, or if you're a merchant republic, the trade guilds could gently caress your poo poo up as bad or worse than discontent vassals. poo poo, I should be able to go through my demesne and find any quick/strong kids and bring them to my court.
This sounds amazing actually

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
CK3 should just have native glitterhoof support. Or just be about raising horses through the ages

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm going to make a horse race in Stellaris. I will have the imperial ruler's title be "Glitterhoof" and name my first ruler Incitatus

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is already a horse race in the mamillian portraits so you just need a list of Glitterhood style names. And I wouldn’t be surprised if one already existed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

maybe it'd be better to come up with a new name for it, especially since the crusades are already just a fancy sideshow in the game and not at all central anyways.

They've already mentioned they regret the name, but at this point it's Paradox's most famous game by far right? I doubt they'd want to just lose all that brand awareness.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

In fact, I'd be just as happy to leave the Crusader Kings series fallow for a few years and see Paradox do something weird and new, like maybe a full-fledged fantasy game to build off of the weird stuff they did with Holy Fury.

Crusader Kings 3: Secret of the Ooze

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Koramei posted:

They've already mentioned they regret the name, but at this point it's Paradox's most famous game by far right? I doubt they'd want to just lose all that brand awareness.

My memory of what Johan has said is that it's Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, and then Crusader Kings. I could have HOI and EU reversed but it's definitely those 2 before anything else.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ulmont posted:

My memory of what Johan has said is that it's Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, and then Crusader Kings. I could have HOI and EU reversed but it's definitely those 2 before anything else.

iirc CK2 has sold more than double those other games on Steam (although I think they had a weekend where the base game was free at one point)

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Unpopular opinion incoming

I think they should take CK3 back to the lame catholic monarchies only system. I’m hoping with the new engine they’ll have for CK3, they’ll be able to focus on creating a much more robust system. Then, they can do expansive dlc using the lessons from CK2.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

I think they should take CK3 back to the lame catholic monarchies only system. I’m hoping with the new engine they’ll have for CK3, they’ll be able to focus on creating a much more robust system. Then, they can do expansive dlc using the lessons from CK2.

Yeah, I think that bolting on mechanics for non-catholics in a system designed for catholics will work this time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IAmThatIs posted:

I don't want this because I want the byzantines, nomads, Muslims and republics to all feel more unique then being this weird psuedo feudal system. But I also don't want to see India or China. At least not in the base game. I'd rather see them not included and have a more robust medieval Europe simulator then to try and cram in all of Eurasia. I think at that point it'll become too unfocused.

I'd love to see a separate game that has the level of support that ckii or euiv had for Asia though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ulmont posted:

I'm pretty sure this is pre-CK2 though, which is far and away Paradox's most successful title (maybe excepting Stellaris?), to the point I've met people who only have a Steam account for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Entirely by anecdote, but I think CK2 is the one with the biggest name awareness too, even for people that haven't played it. Crusades are pretty far down on my list of interests but I hope they don't ditch the title in the next one.

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't want this because I want the byzantines, nomads, Muslims and republics to all feel more unique then being this weird psuedo feudal system. But I also don't want to see India or China. At least not in the base game. I'd rather see them not included and have a more robust medieval Europe simulator then to try and cram in all of Eurasia. I think at that point it'll become too unfocused.

I'd love to see a separate game that has the level of support that ckii or euiv had for Asia though.

That separate game will never happen, is the thing. To get a Paradox game with Asia in this period, it's either gotta be a mod or it's gotta be part of the base game, and the latter is obviously way preferable. Really this is a period where the world was already pretty connected; the characters might not interact directly (much), but things going on over on one end of the continent had an effect on the other end, and there obviously was direct contact too. To have the most robust Medieval Europe, not to mention Middle East and India (and I hardly see them ditching India now they added it) you should actually include the other stuff too.

Also I think you have a point for CK2, but now there already is this extremely fleshed out base; there's already been the focus, and to flesh it out even better imo the most important thing is non-feudal stuff for the Byzantines and Muslims, which...is a perfect fit for East Asia too. With the much bigger map they can include, it gets over the other main hurdle of including the region too. Other than the enormous amount of research time that it'd take, but I think it deserves it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 15, 2018