Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

was working on excel yesterday as per usual. went to filter a column using "october 2018" and it returned nothing. knowing this was impossible I went to edit the filter criteria and loving michaelsoft replaced what I entered with "oct-2018"

like jfc can't this goddamn company do anything right

the thing about excel though is every idiosyncratic behavior is so well known by the people who use it that any "correction" to "more correct" actions would make it worse to use. so many things about it are annoying in practice (no one has ever wanted to preserve source formatting on paste ever) but they should probably never be changed

plus if you asked everyone who needs to use it daily what three changes theyd make youd get an endless list of pet peeves without any that rise to the level of worth changing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

LastInLine posted:

the thing about excel though is every idiosyncratic behavior is so well known by the people who use it that any "correction" to "more correct" actions would make it worse to use. so many things about it are annoying in practice (no one has ever wanted to preserve source formatting on paste ever) but they should probably never be changed

plus if you asked everyone who needs to use it daily what three changes theyd make youd get an endless list of pet peeves without any that rise to the level of worth changing

excel: balanced perfection

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Chris Knight posted:

was working on excel yesterday as per usual. went to filter a column using "october 2018" and it returned nothing. knowing this was impossible I went to edit the filter criteria and loving michaelsoft replaced what I entered with "oct-2018"

like jfc can't this goddamn company do anything right

thicaelsoft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LastInLine posted:

fixing anything in excel would be the #1 way to break absolutely everything built in excel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

fixing anything in excel would be the #1 way to break absolutely everything built in excel

that is why it must be done, for the betterment of humanity

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

PleasureKevin posted:

VR will never be able to play “real games” because gamers are all no older than 12 years old and have never played anything less than current gen consoles and graphics cards. any game that’s a few years old or has decreased LOD settings is, i guess, not a real game.
no amount of tech will get around the fact that our brains can only cope with cockpit experiences

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I went to a vr arcade a couple of weeks ago and the only things that made me nauseous were when one game lagged for a couple of seconds right at the start and when i was flying around and landed on solid ground. Free flying was completely fine.

Didn't try any game where i needed to walk smoothly using a controller, just free flying and teleporting games.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SupSuper posted:

no amount of tech will get around the fact that our brains can only cope with cockpit experiences

But enough about your mother.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Wheany posted:

I went to a vr arcade a couple of weeks ago and the only things that made me nauseous were when one game lagged for a couple of seconds right at the start and when i was flying around and landed on solid ground. Free flying was completely fine.

Didn't try any game where i needed to walk smoothly using a controller, just free flying and teleporting games.

the sick feeling definitely comes from any lag you experience. if the vr isn’t tracking your head movement consistently then it tends to induce motion sickness cause your brain isn’t quite sure why the environment isn’t moving with you

at least that’s what I’ve learned from using one myself and having a few relatives use it. I/they didn’t notice feeling sick until the experience started lagging

also for Microsoft content: a lot of the updates have sucked so far but the windows+v for the paste history has been genuinely helpful, plus windows+shift+s is now the new snipping tool which seems easier to use over the last version

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the biggie for the sick feeling is also anything in which you are "moving", because your eyes tell your brain to expect the sensation of movement but then it doesn't come because you're stationary. counteracting this requires some impossible setups like multi-directional conveyor belts and stuff like that.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

univbee posted:

the biggie for the sick feeling is also anything in which you are "moving", because your eyes tell your brain to expect the sensation of movement but then it doesn't come because you're stationary. counteracting this requires some impossible setups like multi-directional conveyor belts and stuff like that.

it doesn’t really need a complicated setup like that as long as you have a good sized space to dedicate to moving around. a lot of the vr stuff sold today have tracking sensors that will be able to set up a fenced in spot where you can move around

although that’s if you have the space, and most require a good amount of space to allow you to move around, and you have to make sure the tracking sensors are on opposite sides or else you’ll just get weird tracking if you face away from them

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

My Linux Rig posted:

also for Microsoft content: a lot of the updates have sucked so far but the windows+v for the paste history has been genuinely helpful, plus windows+shift+s is now the new snipping tool which seems easier to use over the last version

You can also bind it to the Print screen button in the Ease of access settings, pretty handy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

the sick feeling definitely comes from any lag you experience. if the vr isn’t tracking your head movement consistently then it tends to induce motion sickness cause your brain isn’t quite sure why the environment isn’t moving with you

at least that’s what I’ve learned from using one myself and having a few relatives use it. I/they didn’t notice feeling sick until the experience started lagging

there's a really good GDC talk on VR by a Disney Imagineer -- it turns out Disney never stopped messing around with VR since the original early 1990s iteration and they probably know more about the human part of the VR system than anybody.

the tldw is that the brain is continuously integrating your different sensory inputs (and even time-delaying some of them or moving them backwards in time perceptually to sync up the different input latencies) and if any of these get out of sync for any reason your brain makes the natural and obvious assumption that your cognitive ability is operating at a degraded level because you have been poisoned and thus your stomach needs to be evacuated immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp1rq7VaiU

(the other great takeaway from this talk is that the resolution of the human eye is 30 pixels per degree and UHD TVs are completely pointless)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pseudorandom name posted:

and if any of these get out of sync for any reason your brain makes the natural and obvious assumption that your cognitive ability is operating at a degraded level because you have been poisoned and thus your stomach needs to be evacuated immediately

huh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

there's a really good GDC talk on VR by a Disney Imagineer -- it turns out Disney never stopped messing around with VR since the original early 1990s iteration and they probably know more about the human part of the VR system than anybody.

the tldw is that the brain is continuously integrating your different sensory inputs (and even time-delaying some of them or moving them backwards in time perceptually to sync up the different input latencies) and if any of these get out of sync for any reason your brain makes the natural and obvious assumption that your cognitive ability is operating at a degraded level because you have been poisoned and thus your stomach needs to be evacuated immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp1rq7VaiU

(the other great takeaway from this talk is that the resolution of the human eye is 30 pixels per degree and UHD TVs are completely pointless)

hah, that evolutionary reason for it is cool.

Also that's interesting about human eye resolution.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

Lambert posted:

You can also bind it to the Print screen button in the Ease of access settings, pretty handy.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

if you think higher pixel density is literally not visible to the human eye then open your phone to a white screen, place a hair lying across the screen, and see if you see the stairstepping around it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Linguica posted:

if you think higher pixel density is literally not visible to the human eye then open your phone to a white screen, place a hair lying across the screen, and see if you see the stairstepping around it

phones are diff than tvs because of distance from the screen though right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

it doesn’t really need a complicated setup like that as long as you have a good sized space to dedicate to moving around. a lot of the vr stuff sold today have tracking sensors that will be able to set up a fenced in spot where you can move around

although that’s if you have the space, and most require a good amount of space to allow you to move around, and you have to make sure the tracking sensors are on opposite sides or else you’ll just get weird tracking if you face away from them

the other thing is it varies widely by person. I don't have any problems with being in vr for a long time, but ive had other people on my vr setup who just cant deal with some games because of all the movement.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Disney Imagineer

when did they get their P.I.?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

phones are diff than tvs because of distance from the screen though right?

1) Nothing appears to the optic nerve or visual cortex to be narrower than one minute of arc, not two. At least, still. If your image is always in motion you might be able to get away with 30 pixels per degree or some crap. But always is a strong word.

2) Point-like and line-like objects that are thinner than one minute of arc tend to either: if they're brighter than their surroundings, look that size but dimmer than they would close in, or if they're dimmer, get drowned out by the brighter surroundings. At UHD-1 (aka "4K") you finally get to the point where a handful of permanently dim pixels are actually missable, and occasionally/situationally even permanently semibright pixels. Permanently bright pixels and many defective pixels are still A Problem.

3) Brightness and color have different 'raw' resolutions and are nothing like your monitor because the arrangement of cells on the retina is amorphous, with the cones unevenly diffuse among the rods.

there's more, i am not an optometrist or anything, but those are the standouts, and they explain why people would still care about antialiasing or font smoothing or other anti-jagged-line stuff at high resolutions (though you could get away with sloppy aa at this point, as long as you include alpha textures)

but come on, someone post img-hdtv-resolution-distance-chart

the one where the colors for 'this resolution appropriate' are triangles hastily line-tooled in way smaller than the actual areas they refer to

so we can all laugh at it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

dont be mean to me posted:

but come on, someone post img-hdtv-resolution-distance-chart

the one where the colors for 'this resolution appropriate' are triangles hastily line-tooled in way smaller than the actual areas they refer to

so we can all laugh at it

fiiiine

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

reminds me that japan started 8k broadcasting a few weeks ago. they started strong with an 8k transfer of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and will also do My Fair Lady in February IIRC. Both "work" because they were filmed on 70mm film, but only like 50 english movies have been filmed this way

what's fun is since the upgraded hdmi standard that can handle 8k isn't finalized yet, the setup involves 4 hdmi cables each sending a quarter of the screen at 4k resolution

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

iirc, this was originally made by avsforum people who were real mad that they spent thousands on top-of-the-line 720p displays right before 1080p panels started shipping

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Carlton Bale, Christian Bale’s sweater-loving cousin with the funky dance

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The_Franz posted:

iirc, this was originally made by avsforum people who were real mad that they spent thousands on top-of-the-line 720p displays right before 1080p panels started shipping

avsforum is so great. no matter what product youre researching every one has some invisible to everyone else but for them absolutely impossible to miss flaws that completely ruins it. theres no such thing as good enough ever in any circumstance and all discussion never touches anything a normal person would care about like the user interface or how it is in use but instead centers around entirely subjective qualities that only the most discerning aficionado could appreciate (so its a good thing they all are one!)

it was particularly fun to read as home entertainment went from being an expensive hobby in the 90s with actual meaningful differences across the price range to being entirely commoditized and available to anyone with a few hundred bucks and an interest in doing so today. they are so bitter about how something that used to be exclusively theirs is now obtainable by anyone at a fraction of the cost and are so desperate to justify the amount of money theyve spent to be first that theyve completely disappeared up each others asses

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Bideo James are for literal childes and YOSPOS is an adults-only (18+) forum. I’m reporting each and every one of you!

<:mad:>

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

avsforum is so great. no matter what product youre researching every one has some invisible to everyone else but for them absolutely impossible to miss flaws that completely ruins it. theres no such thing as good enough ever in any circumstance and all discussion never touches anything a normal person would care about like the user interface or how it is in use but instead centers around entirely subjective qualities that only the most discerning aficionado could appreciate (so its a good thing they all are one!)

it was particularly fun to read as home entertainment went from being an expensive hobby in the 90s with actual meaningful differences across the price range to being entirely commoditized and available to anyone with a few hundred bucks and an interest in doing so today. they are so bitter about how something that used to be exclusively theirs is now obtainable by anyone at a fraction of the cost and are so desperate to justify the amount of money theyve spent to be first that theyve completely disappeared up each others asses

I bought my (45" 1080p) TV for 350-400 in a Walmart nearly ten years ago and while I was waiting for clerks to do who knows what (get a trolley from the back?) I was getting heckled by two different people for not spending enough and how the thing was crap and would suck and die immediately and and and.

I only really remember the super Sony fan who pitied my Sanyo and at some point carried on into discussing movies that were for sale because he was looking to buy a DVD to watch that night. After I praised some recent action movie in particular he bought whatever one was beside it instead because my TV purchase showed that I obviously had terrible taste.

Overall, a 9 or 10/10 for entertaining irascibility.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

Carlton Bale, Christian Bale’s sweater-loving cousin with the funky dance

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i did a dumb thing and bought a surface pro 6. i'd been considering it since i don't like the direction apple is going with their macs and the ipads pro (in terms of cost for the latter), and thought the weird hybrid thing would be a good middle point, and man, it's just not. like, it's not a bad device by any means, but it doesn't really work well as a laptop since the kickstand isn't really a good replacement for a solid keyboard and hinge sitting on your lap (the keyboard is probably better than current MBPs, though), and the touchpad is lacking a bunch of gestures and seems *really* sensitive - a light brush can cause an unintended click. it doesn't work well as a tablet since windows 10 is ill-suited for it, and the on-screen keyboard doesn't always pop up when you want it, nor does it always disappear when you want it. battery life seems *okay*, but not great. i was going to take it on my christmas vacation and decide afterward, but i think i'm just going to return it since it doesn't really seem like what i want.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

i did a dumb thing and bought a surface

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i know! :(

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

they should really remove the cortana bullshit from the new windows computer setup process

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

they should really remove the cortana bullshit from the new windows computer setup process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

At least you should have bought 5 instead, it actually has a GPU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
endless mike more like endless lols (at your expense)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

surface out of an rear end! yeah!!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
endless yikes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there's a scattering of surfaces amongst upper management here and they are the flakiest computers i've run into since i was at a school district that bought Gateway computers. weird hardware glitches, inexplicable slowdowns, and the occasional straight-up failure. we had one that got caught in a weird circle-error boot loop that completely puzzled the microsoft store in portland - they had to consult their internal chat and be told that it was an indicator of a firmware problem.

seriously we have a whole fleet of dell laptops and they don't have anywhere near the issues these drat surfaces do. and of course the goddamn surface warranty is only like one or two years!

don't buy surfaces, don't let your friends buy surfaces, for christ sake please do not burden your local computer janitors with surfaces

anywya, that's my story. thanks and "god bless",

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol that school district got reamed so hard too, they kept buying gateway through the split/acquisition when acer bought gateway home and MPC bought gateway "business", and kept buying right up until shortly before gateway mpc went bankrupt. no more warranty support on all those systems you bought five years' warranty for! owned