Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do these morons keep thinking they can outplay Mueller

I mean, say what you will about him but the guy is very good at this stuff

Because they think everyone else is as stupid as Republicans think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1073679912647700481

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Trump's spent his entire life and career being so absurdly privileged that the consequences of things have never mattered to him?

Why would he suddenly start thinking it applied to him now after he think's he's been bullet proof for all of his adult life.

Same with people like Manafort. He'd been profiting off human misery for decades, there was probably no reason for him to think this would be any different.

I also think Trump really believed that as President he could just squash anyone's attempts to investigate what he was doing. He had an incredibly naive concept of what the role of President was and how the federal government and courts worked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1073481429420371968

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1073673895155302400

Now the question is, will this be a real investigation, or will they just sweep everything under the rug?

Depends. They will gently caress over those directly responsible and maybe restaff the place but nothing else.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Rudy may be my favorite character in this never ending parade of dunces.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Guze posted:

We can only pray that we get a Jeb/Guilliani 2020 ticket out of all this mess.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perhaps we will get Guliani vs Kamala. 9/11 vs California’s Top Cop

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/mattxred/status/1073583649700880384?s=21

Thread.

We’re all going to Hell.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guze posted:

what sort of monster wouldn't pick Carter Page

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1073673895155302400

Now the question is, will this be a real investigation, or will they just sweep everything under the rug?

That seems like something that should be getting manslaughter or murder charges, not an internal investigation by an organization that likely is mostly.meant to deal with financial crimes...

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Does "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" apply only to the poor and nonwhite?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Madkal posted:

My dad does this all the time when we try to discuss climate change. First he says "well if you believe in it why are still driving a car". When my wife and I explain to him that we take public transit more and more and only drive the car for long distances where transit isn't available he goes into saying "well you shouldn't be buying anything because things are delivered to stores using trucks" etc. Pretty much the argument is if you care so much about this subject why aren't you removing yourself from society altogether? Are you a hypocrite?

So your dad is the "nothing gets past this guy" guy.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Groovelord Neato posted:

here's the video of napolitano on fox & friends and it's funny seeing him knock down all their defenses of trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbIt6Cavq0

Jesus, these guys trying so hard to compare this to Obama by name dropping Rev. Wright to try and resurrect that 'controversy'. Just trying to defend the indefensible because it came from team R.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Serfer posted:

Does "ignorance of the law is not an excuse" apply only to the poor and nonwhite?

Whether they knew it was crime or not when it was committed is irrelevant because of the coverup. They very obviously knew they did something wrong because of it, and never came clean

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Popehat thread that's helpful to us everyday working schmoes rather than, say, people getting investigated by the FBI for committing literally all the crimes:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1073632451929432069

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1073595802214293510

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what sort of monster wouldn't pick Carter Page

I like whoever it was with the ostrich-skin suit, because if you're going to be a cartoon supervillian, you may as well be ostentatious about it. Really though, I think the suit itself is my favorite character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Whether they knew it was crime or not when it was committed is irrelevant because of the coverup. They very obviously knew they did something wrong because of it, and never came clean

yeah they kinda hosed themselves by constantly lying about not making the payments. you don't get to go "well i did but it's not illegal! i lied about making the payments for no reason!"

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1073683229184380928

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Serfer posted:

"I didn't know the crimes were against the law, which, by the way, I have heard from greatly smart people, that they are not crimes. So even if they were against the law and I did them, they're not crimes."

- Trump probably

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Groovelord Neato posted:

here's the video of napolitano on fox & friends and it's funny seeing him knock down all their defenses of trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbIt6Cavq0

Countdown to the same people who shared videos of Napolitano "destroying Hillary" or whatever sharing some Breitbart piece exposing him as a secret Democrat

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Madkal posted:

My dad does this all the time when we try to discuss climate change. First he says "well if you believe in it why are still driving a car". When my wife and I explain to him that we take public transit more and more and only drive the car for long distances where transit isn't available he goes into saying "well you shouldn't be buying anything because things are delivered to stores using trucks" etc. Pretty much the argument is if you care so much about this subject why aren't you removing yourself from society altogether? Are you a hypocrite?

That sucks, man. I think I take my communist feminist dad for granted. I complain about having to occasionally explain that certain words are no longer polite but the man's old enough to have an FBI file for celebrating earth day for god's sake

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Madkal posted:

Because eco-friendly martyrdom by one person isn't even an inconvenience when split between ten people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RiggenBlaque posted:

I also think Trump really believed that as President he could just squash anyone's attempts to investigate what he was doing. He had an incredibly naive concept of what the role of President was and how the federal government and courts worked.

Early on especially you could tell he thought being President meant you were got be, like, the world's favorite human for four years or something.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Neo Rasa posted:

Early on especially you could tell he thought being President meant you were got be, like, the world's favorite human for four years or something.

Or Boss of America

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Serfer posted:

well, it applies to poor and white people too, but yeah. there's separate justice systems for the rich and the non-rich in this country

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

GodDamnArtist posted:

Jesus, these guys trying so hard to compare this to Obama by name dropping Rev. Wright to try and resurrect that 'controversy'. Just trying to defend the indefensible because it came from team R.
I was struck by that moment - how transparently obvious that an actual crime occurred here while literally nothing happened with Rev. Wright, but whatever, let's change the subject. Fox's toxic, preprogrammed audience automatically transliterates "Rev. Wright" to Obama's crime of Presidenting While Black that went so horribly unpunished, and they are spurred to remember who the real enemy is.

Even Fox's soft morning programming is pure white nationalist TV, what a fuckin' time to be alive.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

This judge will interrupt whatever you are saying or doing and yell at you if call her ma'am instead of your honor

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Neo Rasa posted:

He internalized the Fox News narrative that Obama was lazy and just golfed a bunch.

Trump loves golf, he thought it would be a perfect fit.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Madkal posted:

That type of deflection is common, they want to talk about anything else but themselves. If you try to steer the topic back to them, to remind them that we aren't talking about you, these people will wave you away or shut down and then start looking for any excuse to say that they "won". "Oh you got emotional? I win. :smuggo:" "Oh you don't want to talk about emotions? Guess I win :smuggo:"
It's infuriating because they'll talk for hours, they'll talk your ear off, then the second they hit any resistance they hit the eject button and the conversation isn't worth having. There are so many trump fans that, all of a sudden, don't LIKE talking politics any more!
People are garbage monsters.

Serfer posted:

Yes.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

That type of deflection is common, they want to talk about anything else but themselves. If you try to steer the topic back to them, to remind them that we aren't talking about you, these people will wave you away or shut down and then start looking for any excuse to say that they "won". "Oh you got emotional? I win. :smuggo:" "Oh you don't want to talk about emotions? Guess I win :smuggo:"
It's infuriating because they'll talk for hours, they'll talk your ear off, then the second they hit any resistance they hit the eject button and the conversation isn't worth having. There are so many trump fans that, all of a sudden, don't LIKE talking politics any more!
People are garbage monsters.

Yes.

“Oh you think abortion is murder dad? Does it make you an accomplice every time you drive by Planned Parenthood? No? Because that doesn’t make any sense? Huh.”

You have to drag them into the same roach motel they want to check you into. You may not win, but they’ll learn it’s a third rail and shut up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Trump's spent his entire life and career being so absurdly privileged that the consequences of things have never mattered to him?

Why would he suddenly start thinking it applied to him now after he think's he's been bullet proof for all of his adult life.

Same with people like Manafort. He'd been profiting off human misery for decades, there was probably no reason for him to think this would be any different.
I was thinking more of Flynn and Manafort

I agree that Manafort, after being a fixer for dictators across the globe for decades without any punishment, figured he was untouchable.

Flynn is getting a slap on the wrist for the things he did (particularly the attempted rendering).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

selec posted:

“Oh you think abortion is murder dad? Does it make you an accomplice every time you drive by Planned Parenthood? No? Because that doesn’t make any sense? Huh.”

You have to drag them into the same roach motel they want to check you into. You may not win, but they’ll learn it’s a third rail and shut up.

That kind of backfires seeing that people try to burn down planned parenthood clinics with alarming frequency.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I like whoever it was with the ostrich-skin suit, because if you're going to be a cartoon supervillian, you may as well be ostentatious about it. Really though, I think the suit itself is my favorite character.

Manafort's not a bad choice but it's hard to beat the comedy of Mr Page.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shifty Pony posted:

He internalized the Fox News narrative that Obama was lazy and just golfed a bunch.

Trump loves golf, he thought it would be a perfect fit.

Also the narrative that the Democrats were perpetually doing crimes and corruption and no-one cared.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/pacificlife/status/1073665834210463744

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There’s some fun speculation about today’s double super secret grand jury.

Remember this story from October about Mueller trying to subpoena Trump. It says oral arguments are scheduled for today.

- Trump has nothing on his schedule between noon and 5:15 today (https://factba.se/topic/calendar).
- Gregory Katsas, the only Trump appointee on the DC circuit, recused himself.
- Chief Judge Howell unsealed the Watergate Roadmap on October 11th, which may have been at Mueller’s request, to use as a basis for indicting the President as there is no other publicly known precedent (https://www.lawfareblog.com/watergate-road-map-what-it-says-and-what-it-suggests-mueller)

So, maybe today is about Trump fighting a subpoena, but the secrecy would mean someone super sensitive was brought in to testify.

So, maybe Trump lost a motion and was actually in court today testifying before the grand jury.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

That kind of backfires seeing that people try to burn down planned parenthood clinics with alarming frequency.

That’s on them, don’t let assholes set the terms of the debate, and if they try to like OP’s dad, make sure to use those terms against them.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jealous Cow posted:

So, maybe Trump lost a motion and was actually in court today testifying before the grand jury.

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1073620124219904001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jealous Cow posted:

There’s some fun speculation about today’s double super secret grand jury.

Remember this story from October about Mueller trying to subpoena Trump. It says oral arguments are scheduled for today.

- Trump has nothing on his schedule between noon and 5:15 today (https://factba.se/topic/calendar).
- Gregory Katsas, the only Trump appointee on the DC circuit, recused himself.
- Chief Judge Howell unsealed the Watergate Roadmap on October 11th, which may have been at Mueller’s request, to use as a basis for indicting the President as there is no other publicly known precedent (https://www.lawfareblog.com/watergate-road-map-what-it-says-and-what-it-suggests-mueller)

So, maybe today is about Trump fighting a subpoena, but the secrecy would mean someone super sensitive was brought in to testify.

Trump was in court and no-one noticed? This seems like Q levels of conspiracy idiocy.

Why not Butina, the spy that might have flipped?