Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I'll have to say that FedEx doesn't try to steal my deliveries like OnTrac tried to do with my lady's smartwatch. I'm glad Google isn't going with them now days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I went to check if my Fi Credit from buying a Pixel 3 around Black Friday had posted, and I saw a notification saying that referring someone now gets you a $100 credit (through Jan 8) instead of the normal $20, so here's my referral link. drat.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://g.co/fi/r/A86419

Hi, it's me, LRADIKAL. Please use my referral code. I broke my 1080ti graphics card and want to die. Help me buy another. Sparks, I can't go back to a 1060 6GB!

Enough talk about codes, we've got more important things to talk about. How come you guys traded in your phones at the same time as you got the gift card rebate phones? fake edit :I realize now that you didn't have to return your trade in phone until you got your new one. Thanks a lot, Google.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone have experiences getting a Google Voice number ported to Google Fi?

As someone with no real knowledge of telecommunications, it seems like it should be easy...Google "owns" by GV number, so why is it so drat hard to port to another service that Google "owns"?

I started the port last Tuesday, the 27th...come Monday, still hadn't completed so I called Fi support. On the phone for a bit than it escalated. On Tuesday morning I had an email that said to cancel the port, then try again. I did that Tuesday morning, and in the same spot now. I sent two more emails to the support tech, one on Thursday and one today, no response.

I have data, so I can text as long as it's through Hangouts, but I can't make or receive calls at all, not even if I'm on wifi. And if I try to text through Messaging, it fails.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone have experiences getting a Google Voice number ported to Google Fi?

As someone with no real knowledge of telecommunications, it seems like it should be easy...Google "owns" by GV number, so why is it so drat hard to port to another service that Google "owns"?

I started the port last Tuesday, the 27th...come Monday, still hadn't completed so I called Fi support. On the phone for a bit than it escalated. On Tuesday morning I had an email that said to cancel the port, then try again. I did that Tuesday morning, and in the same spot now. I sent two more emails to the support tech, one on Thursday and one today, no response.

I have data, so I can text as long as it's through Hangouts, but I can't make or receive calls at all, not even if I'm on wifi. And if I try to text through Messaging, it fails.

They hosed it up for me once and I reverted it, I later (like some months later) switched without issues. No idea why it hosed up the first time.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've lost count of how many people have posted on reddit about losing all involved numbers when trying to port in or out. If you have it canceled and still have your number, I wouldn't try it again.

I wound up putting my Fi service on a secondary google account just to preserve my Voice stuff.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got to travel to the FedEx depot today to pick up my phone, that was fun.

Fortunately, I have it and it's activated before it's ineligible for the travel deal.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does anyone remember or can link me the terms for that 200 dollar credit BYOD deal that was on the same day as the travel deal? I signed up that day and I activated my sim card that just arrived yesterday. I got an email now saying that I'm gonna get 90 in bill credits. I vaguely remember the terms saying that the credits would be staggered but I just wanna make sure I that I shouldn't be bitching at their support right now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wow... Just wow...

Keep in mind I've already told Fi support at least twice it's a Google Voice number.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 9, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Finally got my Fi SIM in the mail. I'm running a crappy iPhone 6S until I can get a Google phone.
If you're going to be signing up for service, can you help a girl out and use my referral code? https://g.co/fi/r/V88H2X

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone still waiting for their trade in kit from the travel deal day?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone still waiting for their trade in kit from the travel deal day?

You should've received an email from Google Fi with the subject "Your trade-in kit is on its way." Mine was shipped out Nov 29 and arrived Dec 4. There was a link to track the package inside the message.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It took like a week for my kit from Black Friday to arrive.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The only email I have is that my trade-in kit was requested on November 28th. And the trade-in status on my account says "trade-in kit requested." And that's all.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Somehow Fi support is among the worst customer service I've ever dealt with.

I ordered a Pixel 3 a couple weeks ago. Phone arrives, set it up, use it for 12 hours, and it bricks when I try to open the camera. I manage to chat with Fi support after waiting for an hour, only to get mysteriously disconnected. One day later I get a follow up email with my case ID intending to handle this support over email. I respond immediately explaining the situation, and then wait another 1.5 days for a stock response about what-to-do-if your-phone's-restarting. I replied immediately and I'm waiting to hear back. That was 5 days ago...

I just tried contacting support again, this time via callback. I filled out the form and promptly received a call from Google to "reserve my place in line." The automated system tells me to press 1 to connect to an agent. Unfortunately, pressing 1 does nothing (on my Pixel 1) and the automated system just loops indefinitely. So now chat support is "unavailable," email support is unresponsive, and phone support is broken.

So yeah, Google support is absolutely garbage and how long do I have to file for a chargeback on my credit card?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, support seems pretty bad right now at least. They're probably getting flooded with questions about why the travel promo didn't work. And it also seems like other people that did the BYOD on the same day had the same problem as me where they got an email saying they would get a 90 dollar credit, rather than the 200 like we're supposed to. So everyone is probably screaming at fi support right now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

Somehow Fi support is among the worst customer service I've ever dealt with.

I ordered a Pixel 3 a couple weeks ago. Phone arrives, set it up, use it for 12 hours, and it bricks when I try to open the camera. I manage to chat with Fi support after waiting for an hour, only to get mysteriously disconnected. One day later I get a follow up email with my case ID intending to handle this support over email. I respond immediately explaining the situation, and then wait another 1.5 days for a stock response about what-to-do-if your-phone's-restarting. I replied immediately and I'm waiting to hear back. That was 5 days ago...

I just tried contacting support again, this time via callback. I filled out the form and promptly received a call from Google to "reserve my place in line." The automated system tells me to press 1 to connect to an agent. Unfortunately, pressing 1 does nothing (on my Pixel 1) and the automated system just loops indefinitely. So now chat support is "unavailable," email support is unresponsive, and phone support is broken.

So yeah, Google support is absolutely garbage and how long do I have to file for a chargeback on my credit card?

Do not file a chargeback when dealing with Google. You will lose your Google account.

Go on /r/ProjectFi on Reddit and fill out a Reddit request form. That's literally the only way things get done lately it seems. There are Fi employees that browse that subreddit and you will get a quicker answer there.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've had good luck with the online chat rather than email or calling.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do not file a chargeback when dealing with Google. You will lose your Google account.

Go on /r/ProjectFi on Reddit and fill out a Reddit request form. That's literally the only way things get done lately it seems. There are Fi employees that browse that subreddit and you will get a quicker answer there.

Thank you for this info. I'll probably do this.

LRADIKAL posted:

I've had good luck with the online chat rather than email or calling.

That's what I tried first. There was an hour long wait before connecting, and then I was disconnected about 3 minutes in. That's when I got the follow up email which they're not responding to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fi support is less than worthless on days when they AREN'T fielding thousands of calls due to a botched promotion. Good luck.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Fi customer service is why I ditched it in the first place. Good luck goons!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fi customer service has always been good to me, but TBH its been well over a year since I last used it.

My trade-in kit still says "Waiting for trade-in kit shipment".

The support page says 30-60 minute wait for calls, Chat isn't working at all, and the response from the email request I sent said up to 5 days to respond.

Holy poo poo they are hosed right now.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I guess things will get that way if you set up conflicting promotions and/or renege on said promotions without sending any kind of confirmation.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Has Fi service gotten that bad? I haven't had to use it in over a year myself but I remember it being quick and painless. Online chat - I don't think I've called any Google related business ever for end user support, it doesn't seem to be their thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Customer support isn't great, the service itself is fine.

Unless you're on Sprint.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Chatted with customer support, and it looks like they're gonna honor the 90 dollar credit email they sent me by mistake PLUS the 200 BYOD sign up promo. So thats pretty cool. Adding the 20 dollar referral bonus for a total of 310 in bill credits ends up being a pretty sweet deal.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

If anyone was curious, I talked to Fi Support about my device activation. They weren't able to extend the deadline for activating my new phone, so I just activated it on a third user to avoid getting charged the full amount. They at least sent me instructions on how to clear the eSIM and Fi Account data from the phone, so I can re-activate it on my wife's user when Christmas comes.

I won't make the mistake of buying expensive electronics outside of Black Friday weekend anymore.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My Pixel 3 showed up last week and it's significantly better than the 6P I was using, but I have some weird issues going on regarding battery life. Twice over the past week, the phone's battery life has dropped by 40-50% overnight. The first time it happened battery usage showed Carrier Services used ~40% battery life since the last full charge but it happened again last night and Netflix/Pokemon Go were my two most intensive applications at a whopping 4% usage, so whatever hogged the battery didn't even show up in the list this time around. Has anyone run into a similar issue? If it happens again, I'm going to try a factory reset and if it still continues, I might need to get a hold of Google for a replacement phone. I'd really rather not do that because I'm sure it's going to wind up screwing with the travel promo somehow.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sounds to me like your phone was getting lovely signals from multiple networks and kept swapping endlessly to get you a good connection.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/a6ep6s/project_fi_chat_support_admits_to_me_that_users/

This is a big thing going on in the subreddit for Fi right now. Someone found out that, both after doing their own research AND talking to Fi support, sometimes Fi will use your data even if you're already on wifi. If Fi determines the wifi isn't "optimal" or that your data signal is stronger than your wifi, it will switch to data with very little indication (there won't be much indication on the phone itself unless you pull the notification menu down to look at the networking icon).

The problem here is that multiple people are saying that, even if they're right next to the router, the phone will still switch. The only way to stop it from randomly using data would be to completely turn cellular data off or going into Airplane Mode and letting only Wifi through.

Others are getting the same response from Fi support that the phone will choose whether you are better off on wifi or cellular data, but with it costing $10/! GB, it can certainly add up if you're doing something like streaming or something like that.

Fi's main support guy on Reddit, dmziggy, is off until January so I guess keep an eye on things for a while.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure this is explicitly related to the enhance network stuff they just rolled out.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, that's probably what it is. It says in the description it'll be more aggressive about switching from wifi. Unfortunately, most of the articles reporting on it only said, "HEY, FREE VPN!"

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

azurite posted:

Yeah, that's probably what it is. It says in the description it'll be more aggressive about switching from wifi. Unfortunately, most of the articles reporting on it only said, "HEY, FREE VPN!"

Right, in theory it makes it seamless for me to drive out from the house and never lose connection. In practice, it also means WiFi will drop at times.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

From experience they've been pretty good about comping data when it's a proven issue like that. It'll just take a few weeks for the support script to catch up with the news and have them admit it's an issue.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Zauper posted:

I'm pretty sure this is explicitly related to the enhance network stuff they just rolled out.
Don't you have to specifically turn that on in the google fi app?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Per the advice of this thread, I've always done airplane mode+WiFi on when at home, so I can force WiFi calls and texts due to poor cell reception. That said, per the Reddit thread's advice I checked dev. options and found that Mobile Data Always Active was already off, I probably turned it off myself at some point.

What really irks me is when I try to make a phone call from home and get the message "Turn off Airplane Mode to make a call".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zauper posted:

This was brought up in the post and the OP turned if off as soon as he noticed it was happening, and it kept happening.

I actually checked on my Pixel 2 XL and have noticed it using data when I'm just sitting at my computer which is right next to my router.

I don't use VPNs on my device so something else must be going on.

EDIT: https://imgur.com/a/xYN6gFJ These are the screenshots from Fi support and the OP form Reddit.

Fi support is telling users, when you're on wifi, turn off mobile data as you will be charged when and if the phone thinks you don't have a good signal.

I've had months where I'm always on wifi and not on mobile as I work from home and have noticed I still get pinged for data usage.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 17, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tasker would be able to automate that, wouldn't it? That's still super bogus, but if I can make it just automatically switch to airplane mode when connected to certain WiFi networks that'll mostly fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I didn't turn on the enhanced network stuff, but the way that read I thought they just meant for calls, to extend that to app data seems super hosed up. If they don't fix that I might start considering tmo just to not support that sort of behavior. Sorta makes me think it's another case of google doing what works best for them and not considering other consumers, "who wouldn't prefer the best connection at all times for everything?", people that want to save money. I think there was a similar confusion on their end when people were mad about sd card support being removed "why does it matter when you can just use the cloud?", cause sometimes you don't have a good signal or don't want to use data.