Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Still better than the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
So I finally caught up to this, is there an average wait time between new chapters coming out or is the wait as questionable as Hunter x Hunter?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol it's the latter, welcome to hell

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Viridiant posted:

So I finally caught up to this, is there an average wait time between new chapters coming out or is the wait as questionable as Hunter x Hunter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70GD2SBCq64

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress it im just gonna repost this

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Haha I had forgotten that. There was an analysis several years ago suggesting an average rate of 4--5 chapters per year, but I don't remember if that was skewed by the earlier releases. Wikipedia only lists the volume releases, and the chapter dates don't appear on the Berserk wiki either.

Any source for the historical release dates?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
We have this discussion every 2 pages (10 years in real time)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

i love this song so much

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best thing you can do is to just entirely forget that Berserk exists and return in 10 years. Maybe then you can read a few chapters uninterrupted

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Zzulu posted:

The best thing you can do is to just entirely forget that Berserk exists and return in 10 years. Maybe then you can read a few chapters uninterrupted

Pretty much this.

They are going to have to do a re-release of the books once it is finished, if that ever happens.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I know I probably won't be alive to see it. Old age is likely to strike first.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yours or Miura's?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Miura will outlive us all.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So the only humans left to watch the heat death of Sol will be: Miura, Keith Richards, Peter Dinklage, and Keanu Reeves.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd watch a movie about that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Andrigaar posted:

So the only humans left to watch the heat death of Sol will be: Miura, Keith Richards, Peter Dinklage, and Keanu Reeves.

Araki will be there too, but of course he's long since renounced his humanity.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I suspect Weird Al might be around for that too.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Wierd Al would be the reason for the heat death of the universe.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Araki will be there too, but of course he's long since renounced his humanity.

Well, duh, he's a rockman

Basically all of JoJo Part 8 is about him coming to terms with that

"The reason for frequent long hiatus in a mangaka's career is often because the mangaka is actually a rock human." Calling out Miura right there

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I, uh... haven't we been getting relatively regular chapters for a couple years? Like, I think the longest wait since we got off the boat has been two or three months.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We've been seeing fairly steady publication for a period of 3-6 months of the year, for the past couple of years. I expect we'll see the next run late Q1 2019 or so.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I’d say the amount of work has been consistent, but the amount of work and detail that goes into each page has been steadily growing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's the number of griffith chapters that make it feel like nothing is happening

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Pretty much this.

They are going to have to do a re-release of the books once it is finished, if that ever happens.

Dark horse is releasing some nice looking oversized hardback omnibuses next year.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Raspberry Bang posted:

Dark horse is releasing some nice looking oversized hardback omnibuses next year.

:stare: I never knew I needed something so badly until now.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

:stare: I never knew I needed something so badly until now.

Amazon has a great deal for the first one. $22 once you include that $5 off deal they have going on.

Berserk Deluxe Volume 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1506711987/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UtWhCbZ5RGK4K

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wait, 696 pages!? How many volumes does the first book cover?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

Wait, 696 pages!? How many volumes does the first book cover?

Sounds like about 5 if it's that long. Each tank is around 240 pages.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Probably the best Berserk videogame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FJ-wBjYNkg

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Has anyone picked up the guide book yet? I saw a few copies in my local comic shop and was considering picking it up with my next paycheck.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

My Cuck Dad posted:

Has anyone picked up the guide book yet? I saw a few copies in my local comic shop and was considering picking it up with my next paycheck.
I got a free copy and did a quick browse. It's not a bad reference guide, but I'm not sure what the point of it is if you've read all of the manga.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The deluxe volumes are way more expensive over on Amazon UK. :smith:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Horrendously so, too. It's when from $27 to £30 when it should be around £22. It's coming a little close to 50% more.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is any of this nonsense real? Because I just thought they hosed up with scheduling, I didn't know this was a goddamn shitshow from even getting their initial and probably several other model renders to work and move to even funimation not giving a hotfuck in dubbing this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've not watched it but if it's about the anime being hosed entire and not even having models unti a couple weeks before broadcast, it probably is. There was supposedly an interview about it a couple of years back but whether that interview is real, that's up for debate.

e:
1:30 in refers to said interview, so it depends on if the interview is real or not. I reckon it is but I never seen the JP original so I can't say.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 5, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Disclaimer: Other than a few clips when they've popped up, I haven't watched the 'new' anime.

I remember hearing about production issues before it was released, so I suspect the clusterfuck is mostly true. It certainly explains a great deal, and oh my holy loving poo poo watching even that 28min is enough to justify the amount of swearing. The given explanations are reasonable given the results; more likely is some exec walking in and saying "we don't like three results you've had enough time, finish it, don't expect a salary".

But these clips...
:gonk::allbuttons:

(Might reread soon and/or watch the 97)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It doesn't explain how the second season had the same production issues even though they had a lot of the major assets already finished.

Berserk deserves only the best but it got the very worst.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like it isn't even the staff's fault as much as I thought it was. Its so mismanaged, so apparently hung up on keeping a specific time table and image that it likely couldn't get down across a team this scattered, and most of the people involved lacking the experience necessary to pull off a better product - despite how they seemingly were over worked anyway to get what we even have is just a loving travesty. This wasn't low-balling to the cheapest team, this was everyone involved dropping the ball while only the people on the absolute bottom still did what they could to salvage an on going 2 year catastrophe.

And most of the young blood that suffered to birth and maintain this atrocity are probably beyond hosed and used up delivering this into the world, maybe even hosed out of animation entirety, if not having this embarrassment on their resume; while the real culprits of ruining this anime probably will still be around to gently caress up the next berserk thing.

Berserk 2016-7 tried to ride the wave of digital anime set off by JoJo and it completely failed.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 5, 2019

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Crabtree posted:

Berserk 2016-7 tried to ride the wave of digital anime set off by JoJo and it completely failed.

I would murder so many people kill for a 3D CG Berserk adaptation pulled off with the panache of the Jojo part 1-3 OPs.

But it's probably telling that they opted for the ol' two dimensions for the actual show, I don't think it can be held responsible for the horrors of the 3D CG wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh nah, JoJo has nothing to apologize for. Its the strongest success of the using 3D elements trend. I just think the people behind this particular anime saw that taking off and thought "Hey, Berserk came out around the same time as Phantom Blood, let's cash in too". Expecting a certain set of programs would not only work, but be learned in a certain time by a team only known for their 2D work to make a season and NOPE.