Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

If it's a new invention, you can patent it.

And it doesn't even have to be yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Phylodox posted:

Mordo’s viewpoint is completely understandable. He’s someone who bought into the whole “Magic Used For A Greater Purpose” schtick. Then he finds out his mentor has been using The Forbidden Magic to prolong her life. Then Strange saves the world by cutting a deal with The Very Bad Evil One. There’s no room for such compromise in Mordo’s worldview, and so he sets himself on a mission to purge all of the self-serving charlatans. Jonathan Pangborn is a perfect example; a selfish man who reaped the benefits of magic but, when confronted with the responsibilities that came with it, turned tail and ran. As far as Mordo’s concerned, Pangborn doesn’t deserve to walk. He never paid the price.

Yeah, they set up throughout the film that Pangborn used the ancient ones teachings to fix himself and then peaced out when he got what he wanted. Mordo is shown throughout the film as someone who respects magic and sees it as a responsibility to a higher purpose. It's even shown early on that he resents Pangborn for leaving. It's only when Ancient One and Strange screw around with the rules that he snaps, and decides to actively take magic away from those that don't deserve it. Once he has that revelation, I can totally buy him remembering Pangborn and thinking 'You know what, gently caress that guy, I'm starting my purge with him'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pangborn's accomplishments amount to healing himself to play pick-up basketball again as far as we know and is there as a character to show Strange that getting his life back is possible. If Pangborn had wanted to use magic to heal the world or something, cool, but as far as Mordo or the audience is concerned, Pangborn acted like a bratt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also, Mordo went to learn magic to use it against his enemies (he says as much in the film), but the Ancient One gave him a new path. But finding out that the Ancient One had been deceiving him, sent him back along his original path, just with new targets.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

Definitely a healthy thing for the animation industry

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1072982664955789313

This headline is a little misleading. They're not copyrighting the style or anything, just the specific technology they employed to achieve it. That's common practice as far as I'm aware.

e: It's not just the headline but the whole article, it seems. Gizmodo really got it wrong on this one. The patents are for software and nodes, that's all.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 13, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lobok posted:

If Pangborn had wanted to use magic to heal the world or something, cool, but as far as Mordo or the audience is concerned, Pangborn acted like a bratt.

First of all, I saw what you did, there.

Second, even healing the world wouldn’t have cut it with Mordo. He’s buying into a very specific narrative; that magic is for holding beings like Dormammu at bay. Only that, and nothing more. Even using magic in an ostensibly altruistic way would be a betrayal. That’s the covenant. You want fantastic powers? Fine, but you channel all of your will and energy into loving over Mephisto.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Watched Aquaman. It really needed a rewrite, there are some really sudden tonal changes and it goes on for far too long trying to cram too much in. It's like they decided that GOTG and Thor: Ragnarok was what everyone loves about superhero movies so Aquaman will have elements of both including a mix of the music. Apart from that it was alright. An upgrade from Batman v Superman and Justice League. I think I liked Wonder Woman better but this film was a step in the right direction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1073350275560136705?s=12

Yes, water is very important

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wait why is “Africa” in Aquaman at all? It’s all because of memes, isn’t it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait why is “Africa” in Aquaman at all? It’s all because of memes, isn’t it.

WB Exec: We'd like to capture some of the energy that made Black Panther the top earner in 2017
DC Producers: uhhhhhhh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god Spider-Verse loving rules

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arist posted:

Yeah, this movie is all around incredible. I wasn't expecting it to go as dark as it did, and it has some really heavy emotional moments. But it's so so good.

The after credits thing is also just... great. I was glad to see that character, then what they did with him was hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhfnTs0RZLs

Does Aquaman have a sun soaked F&F style car montage

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep thinking about how great BP was in making M'Baku a good guy. He's a conservative jerk, but when called upon, he does the right thing. I hope the Wakandans make him a suit of white gorilla armor for Endgame.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I keep thinking about how great BP was in making M'Baku a good guy. He's a conservative jerk, but when called upon, he does the right thing. I hope the Wakandans make him a suit of white gorilla armor for Endgame.

I think it is likely they will shy away from that imagery for... reasons

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

I hope so!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

I kinda hope he takes advantage of the power vacuum and revolts. I also like what they did with his character but M'Baku's gotta still have some teeth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think it is likely they will shy away from that imagery for... reasons

Something along the lines of the BP costume is what I'm thinking of.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I kinda hope he takes advantage of the power vacuum and revolts. I also like what they did with his character but M'Baku's gotta still have some teeth.

Dude goes into battle against an alien army with a pointy stick, he give no fucks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Arist posted:

See it in 3D. The artwork was made for it. Also, smoke weed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhfnTs0RZLs

I honest to God assumed Pitbull's career was over after I saw he was playing at a Ribfest outside Chicago last year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that Into the Spider-Verse is the best Spidey film made thus far. At the very least it’s the best since the second Raimi film.

You have to stay thru the end credits.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Verse is soooooo good!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spider-Verse is loving amazing. Spectacular. Sensational. One may even say it's the Ultimate Spider-Man film.

Web of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm fully willing to believe Marvel Studios are horribly sexist and hyper-controlling but I also think they have the CG people start working on the hideous clusterfuck eyesore nightmare setpiece action scenes well before they get a director and that's probably a factor as to why the directors don't get a say in it.

Like it's very obvious which parts of Infinity War were actually directed and which were just CG clusterfucks put in there for the sake of being in there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vince MechMahon posted:

Spider-Verse is loving amazing. Spectacular. Sensational. One may even say it's the Ultimate Spider-Man film.

Web of.

Mary Jane loves

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Into the Spiderverse is freaking amazing.

My one teeny complaint, which I have with the newest spidey game, I'm not a fan of Kingpin as a physical equal of spidey.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/galensdeathstar/status/1073213066421121027

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AV Club has a nice article about all the things Marvel got right with First Avenger

Money quote

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Venom... is good????

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Saw Aquaman tonight and I enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts about it.

I think it did its best with being an origin story, and tried not to do too much flashbacks or exposition. Was it unobstrusive? I'd say a bit so-so on that front. The flow of the movie was set to a breakneck pace, for better or for worse. While I like that there's never a dull moment, I do feel like it needs some breathing room a few times.

Jason Momoa's performance as Aquaman was pretty fun. Dude's charming, and his take is different from Hemsworth's Thor. While Thor was this arrogant jock, Aquaman can switch between BaTB's version who's a brash fun-loving guy, and DCAU's version who was a king who wants to do the right thing for both worlds. Aquaman isn't a complete idiot and actually knows stuff. He just finds it more fun to act dumber than he is to mess with others.

Mera's a fun partner, and the two play off each other pretty well, with Arthur's brashness and Mera's cool head. While they didn't get married, I was kinda hoping they'd save a relationship for Aquaman 2 instead.

Oceanmaster was fine, I feel. He and Aquaman are alike in some ways, and play decent foils to each other. While I'd like it if the two can bond somewhat in the next film, I think it'd be hard considering how the dude sending those tidal waves all over the world caused a ton of deaths. As for Black Manta, I feel he's a little underutilized? His beef with Aquaman was totally justified and plays into the movie's themes, which was nice. It's just a shame he's a bit harder to hear emoting under the helmet. It's not Bane-levels ridiculous, at least.

Visual-wise, I like how they make the ocean look so beautiful and vibrant, and with each kingdom we see having a distinct look. I wish we got to see more of the crab kingdom, they looked cool.

Funnily enough, the movie gave me some The Lion King vibes. There's stuff like "He is more a king than you will ever be" or "The king...has returned". It's great! :allears:

Overall, it just needs a few tweaks for the sequel, particularly the pacing and to make Black Manta sound better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So from your description both Black Manta and Oceanmaster are defeated without being killed? Interesting take in this current climate where most movie villains are killed off at the end. Still probably won't see it in theaters but it will be on HBO before too long I'm sure.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Saw Aquaman tonight and I enjoyed it. Here are my thoughts about it.

I think it did its best with being an origin story, and tried not to do too much flashbacks or exposition. Was it unobstrusive? I'd say a bit so-so on that front. The flow of the movie was set to a breakneck pace, for better or for worse. While I like that there's never a dull moment, I do feel like it needs some breathing room a few times.

Jason Momoa's performance as Aquaman was pretty fun. Dude's charming, and his take is different from Hemsworth's Thor. While Thor was this arrogant jock, Aquaman can switch between BaTB's version who's a brash fun-loving guy, and DCAU's version who was a king who wants to do the right thing for both worlds. Aquaman isn't a complete idiot and actually knows stuff. He just finds it more fun to act dumber than he is to mess with others.

Mera's a fun partner, and the two play off each other pretty well, with Arthur's brashness and Mera's cool head. While they didn't get married, I was kinda hoping they'd save a relationship for Aquaman 2 instead.

Oceanmaster was fine, I feel. He and Aquaman are alike in some ways, and play decent foils to each other. While I'd like it if the two can bond somewhat in the next film, I think it'd be hard considering how the dude sending those tidal waves all over the world caused a ton of deaths. As for Black Manta, I feel he's a little underutilized? His beef with Aquaman was totally justified and plays into the movie's themes, which was nice. It's just a shame he's a bit harder to hear emoting under the helmet. It's not Bane-levels ridiculous, at least.

Visual-wise, I like how they make the ocean look so beautiful and vibrant, and with each kingdom we see having a distinct look. I wish we got to see more of the crab kingdom, they looked cool.

Funnily enough, the movie gave me some The Lion King vibes. There's stuff like "He is more a king than you will ever be" or "The king...has returned". It's great! :allears:

Overall, it just needs a few tweaks for the sequel, particularly the pacing and to make Black Manta sound better.

More importantly, how is the new cover of the internet's Toto's Africa used?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

So from your description both Black Manta and Oceanmaster are defeated without being killed? Interesting take in this current climate where most movie villains are killed off at the end. Still probably won't see it in theaters but it will be on HBO before too long I'm sure.

Sort of. With Black Manta, Aquaman hit the guy off a cliff so that he fell to the water. He didn't know for certain if Black Manta would survive it or not (though Aquaman does realize afterwards how much he screwed over Black Manta). With Oceanmaster, Aquaman defeated him without killing him because he learned Atlantis' 'Show No Mercy To Others' policy was hosed up and needed to be changed.

That, and the way Oceanmaster lost the will to fight was delightfully comic book campy. It felt like they were poking fun on the whole 'Martha' thing from BvS, imo. :v:

Soonmot posted:

More importantly, how is the new cover of the internet's Toto's Africa used?

It was pretty harmless and only played during the first half of the credits sequence, thankfully.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Spider-Verse has been out for nearly 24 hours, so why hasn’t there been two full pages of discussion? Get with the program people, stop talking about Fishman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We don't go to movies during the week we got work

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So for people who have seen Spider-Man: would you recommend the 3D?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spider-Verse has been out for nearly 24 hours, so why hasn’t there been two full pages of discussion? Get with the program people, stop talking about Fishman.

Some people have regular jobs?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

So for people who have seen Spider-Man: would you recommend the 3D?

I haven't seen it in 3D but I imagine it's awesome.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
The 3D was awesome, & was definitely worth the effort to see it that way, since there were fewer 3D screenings by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God, the after credits scene in Into the Spider-Verse was so amazing.