Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fallom posted:

They don’t dude they’re all killing themselves with alcohol like the dude I saw today wearing a Vietnam vet hat buying a gallon of Wild Turkey and a case of bud light at 0730

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Stop it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sobering to listen to....

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Semi relevant:

NYT smears William Blum after he dies. He's the author of Killing Hope and other anti-imperialist books

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1072734899487039488?s=19

Killing Hope opened my eyes that how much of the CIA's crazy/terrible stuff was actually real and not some internet conspiracy.

Edit: thought this was current events thread, phone posting so sorry if this is too political for cool explosions thread

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Legacy of Ashes opened my eyes to how completely loving incompetent the CIA is and always has been.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

Lol shut up idiot

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night? I get doing your job to an extent, but bombing civilian infrastructure, irrigation canals, villages, etc to the tune of likely millions of innocent deaths seems to be well into the "just following orders" camp. Did any refuse to attack civilian targets?

I sleep in a race car

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably the same way bomber crews in WW2 slept. On crisp white linen sheets.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your mom committed a greater atrocity so ask her maybe? :shrug:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

why do you hate america?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Seven-thirty AM in the morning.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On a bed of AR-15s with a pillow of 1911s.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
what were the methods used for countering the SAMs from inside the B52? Where the "uplinks" being jammed and therefore not lock could be established? It sounded like the crew were proactive rather than broadcasting and praying.

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XblVVbqIHU&t=9s

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

what were the methods used for countering the SAMs from inside the B52? Where the "uplinks" being jammed and therefore not lock could be established? It sounded like the crew were proactive rather than broadcasting and praying.

Chaff, flares, electronic countermeasure jamming for SA-2s. Problem was they would send up dozens of SAMs and overwhelm the ECM.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

IIRC, they usually flew with fighter/bombers and Wild Weasels that either laid down a curtain of chaff for their flight path or Wild Weasels would knockout SAMs if they were able to.

Obviously it wasn't 100% effective but the fact only 2 B-52's out of 120 were shot down that night shows it wasn't a crap shoot either.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do Vietnam era bomber crews sleep at night?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

IIRC, they usually flew with fighter/bombers and Wild Weasels that either laid down a curtain of chaff for their flight path or Wild Weasels would knockout SAMs if they were able to.

Obviously it wasn't 100% effective but the fact only 2 B-52's out of 120 were shot down that night shows it wasn't a crap shoot either.

Wild Weasel is one crazy fuckin mission “Get them to try and shoot you down then kill the shooter” from a psychological standpoint it’s like trying to win a fight with your opening move being attacking the other guys fist with your nose.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wild Weasel is one crazy fuckin mission “Get them to try and shoot you down then kill the shooter” from a psychological standpoint it’s like trying to win a fight with your opening move being attacking the other guys fist with your nose.

Kind of, but that’s like every single movement to contact in the history of warfare, but grunts don’t always get silly patches for doing that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

Kind of, but that’s like every single movement to contact in the history of warfare, but grunts don’t always get silly patches for doing that.

Army grunts do. It goes on the right shoulder.

McNally fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 14, 2018

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

The bottom text stands for "You Gotta Be making GBS threads Me"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The uplink is the signal from the radar to the missile, telling the missile where to go. If the radar can see you but the missile isn't getting instructions from somewhere, it's gonna miss.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
So these SAMs were not self guiding at this stage in development? I found the video to be very interesting and if someone has a link that covers how a lumbering B52 defended itself over North Vietnam I’d like to read more.

I should point out I can see the combined effort to confuse, identify and then try to eliminate SAM Btrys by strike craft; what caught my attention was how the crew were calling out SAM locations and in some manner “combatting” then from their bomber.

Edit: also the fact that the second struck bomber was able to fly back to base (subsequently crashing on landing) but still capable of flight after 2 SAM strikes amazes me - counting for a “close call” with lots of shrapnel is still impressive considering B52’s are just huge dump trucks.

RestRoomLiterature- fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 14, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So these SAMs were not self guiding at this stage in development? I found the video to be very interesting and if someone has a link that covers how a lumbering B52 defended itself over North Vietnam I’d like to read more.

I should point out I can see the combined effort to confuse, identify and then try to eliminate SAM Btrys by strike craft; what caught my attention was how the crew were calling out SAM locations and in some manner “combatting” then from their bomber.

The technology was not quite there yet for in missile self-guiding radar, it was close, but you have to remember the Missiles were Soviet designed.

The solution was to saturate the area with S-75s, so that the ECM operator would get overwhelmed, but even then the best shootdown rate was just around 8%

quote:

The missiles are guided using radio control signals (sent on one of three channels) from the guidance computers at the site. The earlier S-75 models received their commands via two sets of four small antennas in front of the forward fins while the D model and later models used four much larger strip antennas running between the forward and middle fins. The guidance system at an S-75 site can handle only one target at a time, but it can direct three missiles against it. Additional missiles could be fired against the same target after one or more missiles of the first salvo had completed their run, freeing the radio channel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Edit: also the fact that the second struck bomber was able to fly back to base (subsequently crashing on landing) but still capable of flight after 2 SAM strikes amazes me - counting for a “close call” with lots of shrapnel is still impressive considering B52’s are just huge dump trucks.

This might interest you

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a186626.pdf

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Get your SAM on

Here's a Youtube Let's Play

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

If weaseling interests you, although this is more Iraq than Vietnam, Viper Pilot is a good book. It’s a bit moto from time to time and a couple of the stories sound a bit bullshit but it’s a really fun read and I’d recommend it.

Edit: awful app is destroying my bbcode

Edit 2: it's not awful app, what the hell - the forums is destroying it

Edit 3: Fixed. What the hell was going on

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 14, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ve seen Flight of the Intruder, what else is there really

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy holidays fellas

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ve seen Flight of the Intruder, what else is there really

I like to just pretend it was only the flight scenes and ignore everything else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Happy holidays fellas

That tree certainly has the body shape of the modern military man

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Happy holidays fellas

I do love that it's got all the details like the blood stripe and medals.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's also got a sweet new Mustang in the driveway that it paid no money down on.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/1072329780488491008

wtf how do you even parse that last image

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Like I get the first and second images. But that third one looks like a practical joke

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Like I get the first and second images. But that third one looks like a practical joke

Yeah, I'd love to be able to say it was some staff officer making the most ridiculous diagram they possible could for shits and giggles.

But you know it's in painful earnest.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It looks like a PDF conversion of a powerpoint, they were probably a bunch of animations on top of each other in PDF.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Every centimeter of that powerpoint slide was explained to the commander at length with another powerpoint slide obviously

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I assume the last image was a dumb build slide. I could see it making sense, but being dumb that way. If it just presents as that final image, lol.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TaK0WZj2k

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God drat, I wanna go to bomber camp