Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Am I crazy or are the chevrons on the floor in the red room a different color in seasons 1 & 2 compared to season 3. They look black in the first 2 seasons but reddish/burgundy in the last season. If it was anyone else but David Lynch I'd just say the lighting style is different and leave it that. But with him I know there must be a reason for this.

season 1 & 2 black

season 3 redish/burgundy

I have a guess as to why the colors are different but I'm curious about what others think.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DropsySufferer posted:

Am I crazy or are the chevrons on the floor in the red room a different color in seasons 1 & 2 compared to season 3. They look black in the first 2 seasons but reddish/burgundy in the last season. If it was anyone else but David Lynch I'd just say the lighting style is different and leave it that. But with him I know there must be a reason for this.

season 1 & 2 black

season 3 redish/burgundy

I have a guess as to why the colors are different but I'm curious about what others think.

That top shot is from Fire Walk With Me, which seemed to use a less reflective paint for the floor of the lodge set. Lodge scenes from the show def had a red/brown reflective hue on the floor in a lot of shots.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Good eye there, I haven't seen Fire Walk With me in over five years.

This is from TV show however.

Those Chevrons are definitively black.

The lighting however does make them look reddish.

This is from season 3 so there is a real difference.

I'm not crazy :tinfoil:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They're pretty clearly not black in the first appearance of the Lodge.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DropsySufferer posted:

Good eye there, I haven't seen Fire Walk With me in over five years.

This is from TV show however.

Those Chevrons are definitively black.

The lighting however does make them look reddish.

This is from season 3 so there is a real difference.

I'm not crazy :tinfoil:

You might be red green colorblind
Those are all the same color with different lighting setups.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looks black and blue to me

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Wow what a pretty shade of green.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Data Graham posted:

Looks black and blue to me

It clearly says yanny

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The original floor was supposed to be straight lines, but the guy installed it wrong and lynch liked it. Clearly this minute difference in lightning must mean something and be the key to figuring out Laura's fate.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

eSporks posted:

The original floor was supposed to be straight lines, but the guy installed it wrong

This seemed unbelievable to me at first until I realized that if you simply rotate the tiles it would change from a zig-zag to simple stripes. cool!!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Weird, I thought it was a reference to some chevron flooring that was also in Eraserhead. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

(Edit) I am not remembering that flooring wrong.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The best part of watching season 3 was checking names off the huge cast list that they released before the show aired. Each week wondering when Michael Cera, Laura Dern, or Trent Reznor was going to show up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

honestly Jim Belushi was great in s3, and I don't like that guy

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hawowanlawow posted:

:same:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

I agree.

But I also highly recommend The Principal, starring Jim Belushi, because it's crazy and good.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
The Mitchums were the best new characters in s3

Sonny Jim is close second.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeah, i want more heartwarming and weird stories of the mitchums

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I would ask David Lynch himself but I don't think he uses any form of social media including an email address for fans to bother him with dumb questions. Also he would probably call me an rear end in a top hat for watching twin peaks on my phone (I didn't do it david but I am a wretched millennial) or put on the Gordon Gole Persona and act like he couldn't understand what the hell I was saying. Yet the more I bring up the floor the more I sound I like a crazy person... I blame David Lynch.

Joking aside, my real single question to Lynch would be to fully explain what's going on with Audrey in season 3. Fan explanations are interesting but I'd like to hear his explanation. But of course Lynch will go to his grave not explaining anything which is for the best really.

What single question would you ask David Lynch if you could?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned here a million times, but there are some fun little episode synopses for a fake sitcom based on the Las Vegas characters over on 25 Years Later. It's post-show though and mostly Dougie/Janey E focused though.

DropsySufferer posted:

The Audrey one is a good one. I have so many questions. Maybe how the room with Naido/American girl relates to the Fireman's place.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DropsySufferer posted:

The one I'm dying to know directly from Lynch is the meaning of that scene in Mulholland Drive behind the diner.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

Which Donna is best?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DropsySufferer posted:

how's Annie?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

hawowanlawow posted:

how's Annie?

Is she ok?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Baloogan posted:

I loved the Super Mitchum Brothers too, and Robert Knepper had become one of my favorite character actors from Carnivale, iZombie, Arrow/Flash, Twin Peaks, and especially Prison Break... but then we found out he had been a violent rapist, so gently caress that guy.

https://deadline.com/2018/02/prison-break-star-robert-knepper-sued-defamation-1202306219/

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved the Super Mitchum Brothers too, and Robert Knepper had become one of my favorite character actors from Carnivale, iZombie, Arrow/Flash, Twin Peaks, and especially Prison Break... but then we found out he had been a violent rapist, so gently caress that guy.

https://deadline.com/2018/02/prison-break-star-robert-knepper-sued-defamation-1202306219/

Turns out T Bag was less character acting and more method acting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DropsySufferer posted:

I'd ask about his take on comedy, and how it fits into his work. He's really good at it, he writes a lot of funny stuff, includes some pretty broad comedy in most of his stuff, but I dont recall hearing him speak much on that. You can tell he has a good sense of humor, though he covers such dark and raw stuff as well. The best horror / tension and also the funniest stuff, and rawest emotional stuff, he's got it all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Alright, just finished up to S2 episode 9 and the "end" to the season 1 main storyline. I've seen opinions on watch/don't watch 10-16 but I'm going to try and see how it goes and maybe skip around episodes if something just completely falls flat and fails to interest me.

I've got plenty of free time to binge through and try to take it in. All of season 1 and most of the first 9 episodes of S2 were so compelling that I'd have Netflix in one screen and using the other for browsing, playing games, etc. and end up fully focused on the show for a majority of the time.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
This is your first viewing? Just watch it all. The lows are part of the experience and worth seeing at least once. Plus not everybody agrees what the skippable parts are (except for that ONE part -- You'll know it when the time comes).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Don’t skip anything the first time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This is your first viewing? Just watch it all. The lows are part of the experience and worth seeing at least once. Plus not everybody agrees what the skippable parts are (except for that ONE part -- You'll know it when the time comes).

Spoiler alert: it involves James doing gently caress all for like 3 straight episodes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don’t skip anything ever.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
James is the personification of the floor sweeping scene.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
To be clear, I'm not advocating skipping anything. I've never skipped anything even after many viewings. I only mean that there's one part that nobody ever defends. Honestly, half the fun in this thread is laughing with friends about the lovely parts of the show.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

BrainMeats posted:

James is the personification of the floor sweeping scene.

I like the floor sweeping scene.

But I like James too, so there you go.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
James has always been cool.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Don’t skip anything ever.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Agreed, if you don't wanna watch it in the future that's fine, but there is good stuff mixed in with some of the weaker parts. And you'll love the return to form after sitting through a few eye rolling scenes.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Ah yes, the OG Twin Peaks fans who advocate against watching most of season 2 because it’s a tedious soap opera.

Fix your hearts or die. Get real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Message received. Not skipping anything from S2.

This Nadine sub plot can really just disappear off the face of the earth.