Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

She's legit funny. Her poo poo is funny, she's a great comedic storyteller, but she leaned into what other people had already said was good rather than just being her authentic self.

I hear you. I've always found her to be, a lot extra, even as a drag queen.

But if people find her legit funny, I can disagree, but I'll drop the matter.

Anyway, Monique is dead on with her critique of Farrah. That was Farrah's opportunity to turn that fall into an opportunity. The rest of her performance was fine! Not great, we've seen this burlesque thing done before, and better. But she wasn't bad until that fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Not great, we've seen this burlesque thing done before, and better. But she wasn't bad until that fall.
I mean yeah, we had a season with Violet, that's like criticizing someone for not doing insult connect to Bianca's level.

The edit kind of told a different story to what everyone saw, like, the edit made Farrah look like she finished fine but everyone's acting like she had a tantrum on stage or just lay there crying for 20 minutes. Which, yeah, it's Farrah, it's possible tbh

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

WIG IN THE RAFTERS

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Whalley posted:

WIG IN THE RAFTERS

:tviv:

In other news, after all of our Nailed It talk, NICOLE BYER IS DOING A DRAG RACE PODCAST!!!!!!!

https://www.vulture.com/article/new-rupauls-drag-race-podcast-what-the-tuck.html

:dies:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wow gia straight-up going from zero to enormous bitch

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Nihonniboku posted:

Gia, you're no legend yourself.

I see nothing has changed with her.

I liked when Trinity said "SHE'S WORSE!"

Whalley posted:

Jasmine is the new Trixie; the internet told her too much that this is Good and she listened too hard to the echo chamber

https://twitter.com/JasminesMaster/status/1073761588295938051

Random thoughts from watching:
- Latrice's colorguard routine was such a strange surprise and I loved it
- I love Monique and glad she did so well but holy mother of gently caress keep your loving wig on
- Trinity is absolutely top three right? So good
- Naomi's talent show sucked it was Milk's but dumber, overall talent show was worse than AS3
- Make Jenifer Lewis permanent! Make Jenifer Lewis permanent! *pounding table* MAKE JENIFER LEWIS PERMANENT

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ru should fire delta from the wig dept and steal whoever michelle has because visage looked GORGEOUS

edit: HAHAHA NAOMI SMALLS DR WILY REVEAL

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 15, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BULLET POINTSSSSSS

I hate enjoying Gia's performance because she's a loving rear end in a top hat. Goddamn it, that was delightful.
They threw in the fake crowd gasping sound effect with Farah hit the floor and I thought it was part of the show and loved it.
Naomi's wig reveal gaaaaaaaaaaaaaged me. More of that.
MONET, YOUR OUTFIT WAS HALF THE FABRIC OF THE SPONGE DRESS AND IT STILL LOOKED ONLY HALF-COMPLETE. STEP. IT. UP.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 15, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just after talent show, before critiques, my bottom three are easily Farrah, Jasmine, and Valentine. Farrah was alright other than that fall, yikes. Jasmine was... rear end. Valentina did a good lipsynch, meh?

Monique was a close runner-down.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Gia can gently caress off. That being said her performance was probably the most polished of the bunch and she probably should've made top 3. That being said again I hope she goes home soon (but I have a feeling she won't, at least for a few episodes)

Honestly I thought Farrah was fine and shouldn't have made bottom 2. Like if she didn't fall it would've been a solid performance.

The talent show was kinda meh overall tbh. As glad as I am for Trinity's win her performance was no Same Parts

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh man, I just got to the Next On preview.

STACEY
LANE
MATTHEWS!

EDIT: I don't think Farrah has the ability to laugh sincerely.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Trinity’s act wasn’t top 2 to me :geno:

Jennifer Lewis was a delight.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
BULLET POINT IMPRESSIONS, in no particular order:

Valentina: I love Villaintina. Not sure how far she'll go with this much tough competition.

Monique X'Sponge: Outfits still busted. WTF?

Gia Gunn and Farrah Moan: Still shady and whiny as gently caress, respectively. They talked a lot about their growth in their intros but I'm not seeing it.

Jasmine Masters: Did she wear a pantsuit in all her looks? Who thought this was a good idea.

That's mostly bitching about the struggling queens, I can't really say much about the other queens because they've been amazing.

warez posted:

Trinity’s act wasn’t top 2 to me :geno:

Jennifer Lewis was a delight.

:yeah:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This is unrelated to AS4 and a bit old but imo Aja is up there with Alaska, Willam, and others for music videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=safM-tI6os0

Aja got dance moves and really good flow. Plus, interestingly, most of her videos constantly juxtapose her in boy glam vs. drag, whereas most drag queen music videos have them almost exclusively in drag.

If you asked me for the top three music video drag queens, I'd say Aja, Alaska, and Willam. With Christeene as honorable mention since her videos are AMAZING but she's more punk/genderfuck than traditional notions of drag. Christeene, extremely NSFW: https://vimeo.com/200916466

e: also apparently Aja has a massive hog :v:

e2: and Willam just publicly released her video "Unshart my Fart" which is exactly what you think it is. Willam gonna Willam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80e427sIAI

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 15, 2018

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

This video is also a great excuse to look at Michele Lamy, who isn't a drag queen by any stretch but definitely exists somewhere in the outer reaches of the Drag Nebula.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Wow, my opinions are real off tonight.

I love how shady Gia is.
Trinity and Monique weren't tops. Latrice and Gia were.
Monique's lip sync gagged me. Even the wig.
I'm gutted that Jush is gone. :smith:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shneak posted:

I'm gutted that Jush is gone. :smith:

The pantsuits were a mistake. Even worse was trying to do comedy in a 1-minute talent show. You have time for maybe two or three jokes... so you wing it?? These queens knew a talent show was coming, they prepared props and lip-synchs and stuff. But no, I'm super funny and will just show up in my pantsuit and tell two terrible jokes about eating rear end and how it smells! It stinks, folks! Let me hear it for stinky assholes, yeah! <crowd applauds, laughs>

Assuming you could just go up there and do one of your youtube rants for a minute and have it be funny is... incredibly myopic. That's my problem with Jasmine Masters, she doesn't seem to understand at all what makes her funny and entertaining. The super-successful queens latch on to what makes them stand out and brand the gently caress out of it, see: Naomi and her legs legs fashion LOL WIG REVEAL or Trinity and her goofy tuck skit.

After reflection, this seems harsher than intended. But yeah she absolutely deserved to go home first, that was a poor showing.

edit: my clinical appraisal is that Jasmine Masters smokes enough weed to sincerely believe she really is (Monique Heart voice) ~stunning~ at everything she does. I am now too drunk to offer further inferences. Enjoy your watching parties, LGBTQ+goonas

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 15, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Whalley posted:

Trinity is going to be top three imo

much as I love Manila and Latrice and am torn between the three, I honestly think Trinity is going to win it all, barring a surprise elimination or some dumb twist at the end again. She's the whole package and as bland as I think season 9 is overall, Trinity is one of my favourite queens since ... poo poo season 5 or earlier lmao. I thought she'd be one of the first outs in 9 but dem lewks and dat comedy and dat shade. She's had nothing but oval office since season 9 and her oval office has only grown stronger since then!

Whalley posted:

I mean yeah, we had a season with Violet, that's like criticizing someone for not doing insult connect to Bianca's level.

The edit kind of told a different story to what everyone saw, like, the edit made Farrah look like she finished fine but everyone's acting like she had a tantrum on stage or just lay there crying for 20 minutes. Which, yeah, it's Farrah, it's possible tbh

Not even really Violet, but we've had two All Stars seasons where a queen did a burlesque number-- Roxxxy owned that sexy poo poo and Dela brought us the comedy. I think Farrah did fine until her fall, but I wish she'd played with the prop more and leaned more into the fact she came out of a giant highlighter compact.

I love Farrah and I hope she does better next week, but she just doesn't have the confidence yet. I wish they'd waited on her tbh. I think she's got a good personality and she's definitely talented, but the drive isn't quite there.

General thoughts, tho:

god this was a good premiere

dat emotions :veg: that lip sync was so good. It's too bad Monique's wig fell off and she abandoned it to the rafters, but tbh even if it stayed on, as great as Monique was, I think Trinity had that in the bag no matter what. So loving good.

This is a great mix of queens so far just in terms of personalities bouncing off eachother. Gia's being extra but I expect that from her and I love it and she is giving me the boom boom gun I was hoping for. After that kabuki number she can be as much of a bitch as she wants lmao, that should have been in the top 2. Honestly I think Trinity, Monique, Gia, Latrice and Manila all could have been any combo of top 2 for this talent show. Villaintina (whom I love more than ever so far) was great, but it wasn't as unique as the standouts. Same with Naomi. I loved it. I think she could have hit those poses harder tho. But that reveal at the end was great. It was simple tho and Milk already did the fashion thing last year. If not for it feeling kinda 'oh we did this already literally earlier this year jesus christ why do we have 3 seasons this year' I think I would have rated Naomi's higher, but yeah.

Sad to see Jush go, but I didn't expect her to go much further-- she's an incredbily talented and funny queen, and turns some loving lewks, bitch is polished-- but I don't think she vibes well in this type of competition setting. tbh it's a toss up for me on who I'd rather have stayed. They both did badly and I would find either of them equally entertaining in diff ways for another week or two. Farrah's not long for this world tho.

Also lmao I'm very glad Willam did a video for Unshart My Fart. I hope that bitch does videos for every song on the album.

e: this is a cast I would really love to have a full oldschool untucked with

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

top 4 this season... maybe trinity, latrice, manila and valentina? maybe monique.

monet needs to drop the one-piece bodysuits but by god every queen this season does a great talking head.

also more of jenifer lewis' drag race yes please

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My top 4 bet is Trinity, a representative of Latrila, Monique and Villaintina. Maybe Naomi tbh. But I think the world is not fair and thus would never bless us with both Manila and Latrice in the top 4 so I'm lowering my expectations now. In a just world the top will be Trinity, Latrice, Manila and then literally anybody else but Farrah and maybe Monet lmao

ilu Monet but you still look busted and you were nervous af singing that song, I could tell, girl I know you can do better than that!!

e: if we don't get a loving reunion this season

we were robbed in all stars 3. i wanted to see the fallout of the jury twist gdi. the true robbery was not shangela but it was us all along

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

detox told a cute anecdote about her nephew :allears:

one day he told his mom "I'm ashamed of uncle Matthew!" and his mom was like, "no... bullies at kindergarten have given him homophobia... honey why"
"well no.... I'm disappointed..."
"baby being gay is alright and your uncle is really good at his job and -"
"no he is cool but he should have eliminated alaska then he would have won one hundred thousand dollars :mad:"

viewing parties with rugirls are a perennial delight! and Ross Matthews is so good at quickly establishing rapport with people and you can tell he makes an effort to only say kind and honest things. he held my hand briefly as I asked a question and now I would lay down my life to protect him.

everyone in the room thought latrice would win! Ross said that trinity's display was quite impressive in person and that it didn't come across as well on TV. :shrug: I don't care too much about that!

I love Monique Heart more in All Stars than I thought possible. she's not just being sparkly- sweet, but she's not cruel either... I am so happy to see her performing and being vibrant on TV!

Gia's hair in her confessional is shiny and beautiful :) And she is a fun TV show villain!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hug in a Can posted:

detox told a cute anecdote about her nephew :allears:

one day he told his mom "I'm ashamed of uncle Matthew!" and his mom was like, "no... bullies at kindergarten have given him homophobia... honey why"
"well no.... I'm disappointed..."
"baby being gay is alright and your uncle is really good at his job and -"
"no he is cool but he should have eliminated alaska then he would have won one hundred thousand dollars :mad:"

viewing parties with rugirls are a perennial delight! and Ross Matthews is so good at quickly establishing rapport with people and you can tell he makes an effort to only say kind and honest things. he held my hand briefly as I asked a question and now I would lay down my life to protect him.

everyone in the room thought latrice would win! Ross said that trinity's display was quite impressive in person and that it didn't come across as well on TV. :shrug: I don't care too much about that!

I love Monique Heart more in All Stars than I thought possible. she's not just being sparkly- sweet, but she's not cruel either... I am so happy to see her performing and being vibrant on TV!

Gia's hair in her confessional is shiny and beautiful :) And she is a fun TV show villain!

honestly if Detox had eliminated Alaska, she almost definitely would have won lmao

e: also your viewing sounded like a blast! I wish we got ru girls for them up here in the frozen (rainy tbh) north

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

My top 4 bet is Trinity, a representative of Latrila, Monique and Villaintina. Maybe Naomi tbh. But I think the world is not fair and thus would never bless us with both Manila and Latrice in the top 4 so I'm lowering my expectations now. In a just world the top will be Trinity, Latrice, Manila and then literally anybody else but Farrah and maybe Monet lmao

ilu Monet but you still look busted and you were nervous af singing that song, I could tell, girl I know you can do better than that!!

e: if we don't get a loving reunion this season

we were robbed in all stars 3. i wanted to see the fallout of the jury twist gdi. the true robbery was not shangela but it was us all along

At this point, given "superqueens" and the Latrila team entrance I just assume there will be some format fuckery with Latrice and Manila at some point. It's All Stars, you better believe there will be some dumbshit format ~twists~

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk one would hope they realize the backlash to 3 and just do it like all stars 2. have any remaining twists going forward just be the ruveal of ru-turning all stars or already crowned queen, thx world of wonder

I lowkey think Trinity actually put her tuck in on stage, and I think the bit would have done better with an establishing before and after of some kind lmao.

p sure the superqueens theme is literally just because that's the single ru is pushing this season.

e: actually watchin it again that's a completely diff pair of tucking panties oh well!!!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

esperterra posted:

idk one would hope they realize the backlash to 3 and just do it like all stars 2. have any remaining twists going forward just be the ruveal of ru-turning all stars or already crowned queen, thx world of wonder

I lowkey think Trinity actually put her tuck in on stage, and I think the bit would have done better with an establishing before and after of some kind lmao.

p sure the superqueens theme is literally just because that's the single ru is pushing this season.

e: actually watchin it again that's a completely diff pair of tucking panties oh well!!!

Trinity should have done the whole tucking stunt behind a transparent, somewhat blurry piece of plastic so she could actually demonstrate all the tucking maneuvers without it being super explicit.

Hire me World of Wonder

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

seriously tho how was naomi in the top 3 over gia or latrice lmao

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

esperterra posted:

seriously tho how was naomi in the top 3 over gia or latrice lmao

One episode in and the judging is already leaving me confused. When they asked her to stay on stage I assumed she was in the bottom lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If jasmine wasn't gay that routine would have been downright homophobic. Haha poop breath. The only thing more embarrassing was her inability to own thst she flopped.

It is so uncute the way Gia instantly flips to nasty towards anyone who she finds intimidating. So insecure. That said her routine was amazing.

Latrice doing a drill routine made my world.

Manila was good

Trinity was hilarious and I loving wish I had a tuck like that

Farrah was meh but not bad

Ditto Naomi

Monique was fantastic and won the entrance looks for me

What the gently caress is monet even doing. Clean your poo poo up girl.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I was hoping for a more mature, self-aware Gia, and she doesn't seem to have shown up thus far. I'm so not a fan of her cut-downs, it just puts a stank on the proceedings. If you're gonna read, at least be clever about it. Fingers crossed for better showings in future episodes. She's polished, but watching her is so joyless.

As for the rest... hard to argue with the bottom two, and pretty universally expected. I am fuckin' proud of Monique Heart; I was expecting a mixed bag and was rooting for her as an underdog, but now I guess I have to recalibrate that. This is such a well-balanced group of performers -- if the next 3-4 eliminations go how I foresee them, I can't imagine being upset by the winner.

My favorite queens have already appeared in other All Stars, but if this episode is any indication, this'll be my favorite All Stars season by far. It's Good poo poo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
this is the other (very NSFW) Christeene video you should watch imo: https://vimeo.com/channels/christeene/60258584

a wonderful medley of different flavors of WTF

If she's performing nearby, myself and any other posters who have seen her will tell you HOLY poo poo GO SEE CHRISTEENE. She's probably the best drag(ish) performer who will never be on RPDR.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I was hoping for a more mature, self-aware Gia

this is not a person who exists

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

jit bull transpile posted:

this is not a person who exists

you're probably right. Just gotta fortify myself for next week's talking heads by listening to this on repeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCQZNmmCus

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Trinity’s read on gia made me spit out beer

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Manila is loving ruthless holy gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Manila’s act was maybe the most joyful and dumb piece of performance art I’ve seen on this show to date

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Manila shot for safe and nailed it right in the heart.

(I love Manila so much)

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Propaganda Machine posted:

(I love Manila so much)

her performance was a light confection that was a statement of her performance ethos - silly, makes you go "hmm? OH!", kitschy, but beautiful and glamorous, classical but campy.

even though it wasn't jaw dropping, it was a perfect encapsulation of what she stands for, and it was a smart choice of act. love it, love her.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Propaganda Machine posted:

(I love Manila so much)

I saw the result coming from a mile away I did NOT see the matching dress reveal to go with it though, that was a nice twist

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The extended Library segment is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDt7ui4oBA

OMG VALENTINA'S READ ON LATRICE :rip:

e: As always, watch out for comments further down. I was stupid and scrolled and may have spoiled something for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Manila took that challenge exactly as seriously as she should have, which was a triumph in and of itself.

It struck me that every queen having a dance single these days has kind of ruined the talent show challenges where queens pick their own routines. All you have to do is sing or lip-sync your own stuff and not totally brick it. I want to see desperation, dammit.