Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Baronjutter posted:

I hope that last guy is on some sort of list.

I wouldn't count on it.

Fortunately, the recent public safety report on domestic terrorism shows that right-wing extremists are not violent at all.

quote:

The threat of violence from any individuals, including those holding extreme right-wing views, may manifest in terrorist activity or other forms of criminal violence. However, while racism, bigotry, and misogyny may undermine the fabric of Canadian society, ultimately they do not usually result in criminal behavior or threats to national security.

In Canada, individuals who hold extreme right-wing views are active online, leveraging chat forums and online networks to exchange ideas, as opposed to openly promoting violence.

Nope, no open promotion of violence at all.

Nothing to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Baronjutter posted:

I hope that last guy is on some sort of list.

He is, but it's the PPC mailing list

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Can we like, just make stupidity and politicking illegal?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He's Not Wrong Folks

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The "The rich will just take their money somewhere else!" defense is always so mystifying to me because like... if we're actually going full communism as you seem to imagine, why on earth would you think that we would let people take their money out of the country? I mean the nicest possible scenario would be we do still let them leave, after we've seized all their assets.

And poo poo, that's just liquid wealth. Do they think that people who own factories or run natural resource extraction operations are somehow going to pick those up and take them with them?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

and remember, that was in response to Horgan mulling the idea of potentially adding loving dental coverage to the healthcare plan we already have. dentists themselves would still be private businesses billing insurance plans

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a curiously placed apostrophe by jagmeet. You'd think a York u lawyer would know better.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

THC posted:

and remember, that was in response to Horgan mulling the idea of potentially adding loving dental coverage to the healthcare plan we already have. dentists themselves would still be private businesses billing insurance plans

I don't know if we can take news site comments as a read of the country/provincial pulse.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

THC posted:

He's Not Wrong Folks

The report specifically calls out the 2 examples Jagmeet gave.

(Parmar did nothing wrong)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

both of those terrorists were radicalized by right wing propaganda online but the report is like "oh it's mostly harmless"

quote:

The threat of violence from any individuals, including those holding extreme right-wing views, may manifest in terrorist activity or other forms of criminal violence. However, while racism, bigotry, and misogyny may undermine the fabric of Canadian society, ultimately they do not usually result in criminal behavior or threats to national security.

note that they do not bother to qualify sunni, shia or sikh radicalization in this way

they also list the entirely fake, RCMP-created BC legislature bomb plot as a "Key Sunni Islamist Plot or Attack Conducted in Canada" lol

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 15, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

may undermine the fabric of Canadian society, ultimately they do not usually result in ... threats to national security

:thunk:

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

It’s almost as if there is a capabilities difference between loners and large terrorist organizations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah, loner terrorists unconnected to any organization have been much more effective at killing Canadians lately

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Tell you what - as soon as the soldiers of Odin kill 300 plus people on a single attack I’ll agree with you.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. So the standard for Canadian "terror attacks" was set on 23 June 1985? Could you share this with the Canadian news media so they stop freaking out every time some nut with a cowboy gun or a car decides to kill a soldier or two?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 15, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i mean, dozens of people in North America have been murdered by right wing terrorists in the last two years and they all curiously love Ben Shapiro. but Public Safety is careful to point out that his vile propaganda "usually" doesn't lead to criminal acts, that we know of

it's also true that islamic extremist or sikh separatist propaganda doesn't "usually" cause listeners to do terrorism, but they take no time to mention that. for some reason.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Speaking of which, what ever happened to that couple that the RCMP coerced and threatened into making fake pressure cooker bombs? The latest news I could find was from last winter when the crown said they'd appeal the finding of entrapment.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Perkel/status/1073671741069774848

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

:eyepop:

This is going to be good...?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Holy poo poo.

e: Technically won't this place Ron Taverner in charge of policing the city?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Toalpaz posted:

:eyepop:

This is going to be good...?

Is this because of that podcast, cuz... that would be cool.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Is this because of that podcast, cuz... that would be cool.

quote:

"The board has failed to recognize and address the clear and indisputable pattern of violence and systemic racism against Indigenous people in Thunder Bay," Sinclair wrote. "Moreover, the board's failure to act on these issues in the face of overwhelming documentary and media exposure is indicative of willful blindness."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Baronjutter posted:

Helsing I want you to write the next Rifts: Canada sourcebook.

Did anyone read that future-American-invasion comic https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/we-stand-on-guard
And if so is it good?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Blood Boils posted:

Did anyone read that future-American-invasion comic https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/we-stand-on-guard
And if so is it good?

I did and not really. I mean if you can get it for cheap/free its worth time but not worth retail.

I kind of like when good investigative journalism causes a change like this. poo poo that it has to get there but at least gives some slight semblance of hope.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

More regressive Harperite legislation got struck down today. Happy Friday!

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/17416/index.do

Interesting that they struck it out entirely instead of reverting to the old version.

Has any Harper minimum penalty actually been upheld yet?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Holy poo poo.

e: Technically won't this place Ron Taverner in charge of policing the city?

Yes.

e: also holy poo poo indeed, they all but accused the board of complicity in racism

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tbf this one is spot on, capitalism is the motivation for greatmess

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

vyelkin posted:

tbf this one is spot on, capitalism is the motivation for greatmess

Silly me. Here I thought it was getting laid.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Any Americans sometimes actually feel jealous of Canadians and their country sometime? I really actually wish I were born in Canada, even with it's faults. It's such a fascinating society, especially compared to how bland of a world that my city and where I've been around as a kid seems so bland in comparison.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Awful CompSloth posted:

Any Americans sometimes actually feel jealous of Canadians and their country sometime? I really actually wish I were born in Canada, even with it's faults. It's such a fascinating society, especially compared to how bland of a world that my city and where I've been around as a kid seems so bland in comparison.

I know there are jokes about Americans finding flavorless stuff spicy, but this seems a step too far.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Canada is possibly the blandest place in the world, dude. People here don't have a culture or even any kind of a sense of community whatsoever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, it's fine to wish you were born into better circumstances but the times I've considered those what-ifs, it's usually how well my family would be doing.

We'd sure be completely hosed if my parents went to America.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Canada is possibly the blandest place in the world, dude. People here don't have a culture or even any kind of a sense of community whatsoever.

That's not true either, but there really isn't anything you can find here you can't find somewhere in the states. Most of the provinces are just a store brand version of the state they border, outside of Quebec.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea the watered down version of the already watered down farce of a culture in the states that border us qualifies as pretty close to zero culture or community to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Canada is just doing the dollar store quality remake of recent US history anyway. We’re neck deep in the “Obama sells out everything he claimed to believe to the centrists/right-wingers” phase and soon about to launch into the Trump/Doug Ford racist insane backlash election phase.

At least America has hit rock bottom and can rebound. Canada is still spiralling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Awful CompSloth posted:

Canada is bland, apathetic, and completely unambitious to the point that being "America but slightly better" is enough to be the defining trait of our national culture. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Yea the watered down version of the already watered down farce of a culture in the states that border us qualifies as pretty close to zero culture or community to me.

It may not be a community or culture that interests you or that you enjoy but people like Stompin Tom, Stan Rogers, and Gord Downie were able to recognize and tap into it.

It's still bland in comparison to most other cultures, but that really comes from a real lack of meaningful history. It's still unique and recognizable.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
If you don't get the feeling that Canada is profoundly Scottish I don't know what country you're in.

edit: even Hong Kong and subcontinental immigrants FEEL Scottish to me when they're here.

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 15, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I’d say Canada’s cultural identity still pivots around nature to a large extent. I probably most successfully am subsumed into whatever Canadian Zeitgeist when I’m hiking through Boreal forest or shooting rapids in a canoe through the shield, or snowshoeing or ice fishing or whatever. Shinny on a pond. And whatever Canadiana Stompin’’ Tom and the Hip tap into, a large part of that is relations to the land. Almost makes you forget our origins as a Colonial ethnostate.

Not that this is some original analysis. I sound like some mediocre English lit professor from 1952, but I think there remains a lot of truth to it Of course, now a lot of it is steeped with nostalgia - which can obviously be dangerous. And there’s an irony in wrapping your identity in nature in a post-industrial society in 2019 where almost half of your country lives in one of three cities and most of the other half relies on increasingly tenuous modes of resource extraction for survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Canada when several coworkers move here from the states because the path to getting their permanent residency in the US involves a decade of waiting on eggshells, despite American educations and extremely good American jobs.

We should be better but we got some good stuff going on.

The most Canadian thing to me is the 2010 Vancouver Olympics with Gretzky getting high fives from random fans out the back of a pickup truck as part of the opening ceremony.