Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Any news on when the Honor 8x is actually launching in the USA? There was a flurry of news in early October that the phone, which is already available in the rest of the world, would be coming to the US market. I'm interested in a huge screen for pennies.

I don't think Huawei phones launch in the US. Plus this is probably a bad time to do that anyway.

https://www.androidauthority.com/usa-paying-for-huawei-trouble-933656/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Stand back, it's another bitch fest about the lack of small phones. My partner is ditching her iPhone SE for android and finding something even remotely the same size is proving to be a PITA. All we want is a smallish phone with a headphone jack. My OnePlus 3 is just a tad big for her so we hunted around and The XZ2 Compact looked great except for the lack of headphone jack, then we found the Nokia 8 Sirocco but once again no headphone jack.

The Nokia 8 looks nice but the camera seems poo poo so we started looking around more and welp, Samsung doesn't do the minis anymore. S7 looks nice but it's old as gently caress so updates will probably stop any day.

I suppose a jack adapter would be fine but we're trying to avoid that. Where do we find these fabled small phones with fast processors and headphone jacks?

The XZ1 Compact is on the Android Enterprise Recommended list so I suppose we'll go with that since it'll hopefully at least get security updates for a couple more years.

https://www.android.com/enterprise/recommended/

Ashex fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You know I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kickstarter for a case that plugs into usb-c and provides extra battery and a headphone jack. Hell, add a micro sd slot while you're at it. You'd sell tens of them!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't think Huawei phones launch in the US. Plus this is probably a bad time to do that anyway.

https://www.androidauthority.com/usa-paying-for-huawei-trouble-933656/

The Honor 7x / Huawei Mate SE was here a year ago, my mom walked into Best Buy and bought one! There's always been a US specific version of a decent number of midrange Honor and Huawei phones, even though we don't get the flagships. Has this really changed in the last few months?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the size of the Pixel 3. I know it's still pretty big, and expensive, but it's much nicer to hold than a phablet.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

LastInLine posted:

Everything in life exists to try to convince you as an individual that everything that's been the same since forever is actually new and exciting, from your biology to every social structure and dogma. Sorry you had to find out this way.

- Posted from my Google Pixel 3xl

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

Any news on when the Honor 8x is actually launching in the USA? There was a flurry of news in early October that the phone, which is already available in the rest of the world, would be coming to the US market. I'm interested in a huge screen for pennies.

Get the Xiaomi Max 3, its basically the same screen.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

The Honor 7x / Huawei Mate SE was here a year ago, my mom walked into Best Buy and bought one! There's always been a US specific version of a decent number of midrange Honor and Huawei phones, even though we don't get the flagships. Has this really changed in the last few months?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/8/13/17686310/huawei-zte-us-government-contractor-ban-trump

There was a deal with at&t that fell through because of this at the time as well. It's a shame because they're good phones

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ashex posted:

I suppose a jack adapter would be fine but we're trying to avoid that. Where do we find these fabled small phones with fast processors and headphone jacks?

You don't, they don't exist. Get a Galaxy S9, or a Pixel 2 or 3 normal size and deal with the headphone adapter, or an iPhone X/XS if you want to stick with iOS. That's it, that's the smallest good phone you can get.

Edit: Although, just in case you're seeing the diagonal screen sizes and thinking these are giant, they're not, they're just a little taller than something like the Sony XZ2 Compact

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 14, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/...awei-equipment/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN1OD2HO

The Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States has stated they'll only approve the Sprint and T-Mobile merge if they promise not to use Huawei's networking equipment when (and if) they merge. Both the parent companies of T-Mobile and Sprint, Deutsche Telekom AG (Germany) and SoftBank (Japan) respectively, are already supposedly replacing their Huawei hardware with Nokia and Ericsson hardware.

This is a super political topic and I won't go too deep into it, but it doesn't look good for Huawei in the US anymore since there's a huge backlash against them supposedly being spies for the Chinese government. The FCC even confirmed they're pushing US carriers to not carry Huawei phones and are warning everyone else to never use their phones.

However, this is not just in the US, as New Zealand and Australia no longer use Huawei equipment with their new 5G networks because they are worried about the Chinese government as well.

Huawei is the world's biggest network equipment maker so this is beyond just their phones.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 15, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If anyone is looking to get a p3 or p3xl, Google is handing out personal codes that you can share for people to get an extra $100 pixel 3 or $150 off pixel 3 xl.
Here's mine just in case:
Pixel 3 promo code: B-RMG5IWCUHSQJCQC0B6Q7OD2
Pixel 3 XL promo code: B-RMPOBJWKCL9E17GPUEWGT9R

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ashex posted:

Stand back, it's another bitch fest about the lack of small phones.

Tell me about it.

Ashex posted:

All we want is a smallish phone with a headphone jack[...]Where do we find these fabled small phones with fast processors and headphone jacks?

The only small current-gen phone with a flagship-grade processor with a headphone jack is the S9, and no, it's not really 'small'. FWIW, I moved from a Z5Compact to a S9 and yeah, it's still bigger than I'd like / need it to be.

Get rid of the jack requirement, and you get the Pixel 3/2 normal size, and also the Essential Phone I suppose.

From experience, the P3 feels smaller than the S9 in hand, despite being almost exactly the same size.

However, you don't really need the fastest processor for a phone to feel 'fast' these days, but I'm not sure if any mid-rangers are small since all the ones I've come across seem to suffer from gigantism.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
XZ2 Compact is like the same size as an iPhone 7 which is like as small as phones get these days

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I have a problem with the store's auto-update feature for apps that I can't quite figure out what's wrong. Nothing I've searched for providers any answers.

I have auto-update turned on, but it doesn't work because apps that don't have updates are trying to download something and blocking the rest. Even when I go into the store and hit the button to update all the apps, they just sit in "download pending" purgatory. I found that swiping over to the list of installed apps reveals apps that have a status of "downloading" (but with no other information like file size or progress). These are usually system apps like Clock and Sounds, and stopping the "download" allows the other apps to update.

The weird thing is that if you check the list of pending updates, the apps holding up the line don't have an update listed and don't show one either when you go to their individual pages. I've tried stopping the store and clearing the cache to no avail. I haven't tried deleting all store updates and downloading them all again though.

Any ideas?

I'm using a Pixel 3 XL on the latest Android version of that makes any difference.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you delete the offending apps or uninstall all the updates, then redo them? That's my go to for "something weird is happening, I dunno".

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How do I totally replace Google Assistant with Cortana? I disabled Google Assistant and now nothing happens if I hold down the Bluetooth button in my car.

Can I get the phone to read incoming text messages out loud via Bluetooth?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

couldcareless posted:

If anyone is looking to get a p3 or p3xl, Google is handing out personal codes that you can share for people to get an extra $100 pixel 3 or $150 off pixel 3 xl.

Hmm, the Pixel 3 and XL are already $100/150 off on the store, so that'd bring them both down to $600. Then trade in a 2 XL for $250 and get $100 in store credit. Hmmmmm. If I want the smaller size rather than the 2 XL I have and my wife can be the person buying using my code, is it worth it? I guess probably not, but that's getting really close to doing for the hell of it. OG Pixel XL still gets you $190 trade in, I'd probably do it if I had that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Oh coool I got these too.

Pixel 3 Promo code ($100 off): B-LD8RMMEY1RNX79OUTITMQ9J
Pixel 3 XL Promo code ($150 off): B-LDGHGTPOVLD28YRZ4RFNCCD

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Uthor posted:

Can you delete the offending apps or uninstall all the updates, then redo them? That's my go to for "something weird is happening, I dunno".

Good point, I'll give that a try next time I see which ones are causing trouble. I guess the last resort is contacting Google themselves, but it always feels like it's very hit or miss with them.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There's that 3.3 inch palm phone that just came out, I don't think it had a headphone jack and it's probably terrible but it's there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hot date tonight! posted:

There's that 3.3 inch palm phone that just came out, I don't think it had a headphone jack and it's probably terrible but it's there

I'm pretty sure that's just designed to be a second phone that connects to your phone that you take when you don't want to be bothered by your real phone.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Codes don't look like they stack with the sale since it says codes cannot be combined with other promotions and it just supersedes the sale discount listing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kirtar posted:

Codes don't look like they stack with the sale since it says codes cannot be combined with other promotions and it just supersedes the sale discount listing.

Ah, good to know

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Being in Canada, are there any current go-to mid-range or better phones for less than $400 (maybe up to $500) CAD? My water-damaged Axon 7 with a dead display would apparently cost around $330 to fully replace the screen and do an internal cleaning, so that money is probably better spent on just getting a new phone at this point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I upgraded from the s7 to the s9. Everything is great, except that the amount of base emojis is way less. I can't even do a basic smiley anymore. Is there a pack I can get for that?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

seiferguy posted:

I upgraded from the s7 to the s9. Everything is great, except that the amount of base emojis is way less. I can't even do a basic smiley anymore. Is there a pack I can get for that?

Use the google keyboard

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nerve posted:

Use the google keyboard

Gboard? Just added it but didn't seem to add the emojis...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The google keyboard has a little smiley face next to the space bar. Emojis live in there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

The google keyboard has a little smiley face next to the space bar. Emojis live in there.

Ah, got it. The layout of the keyboard isn't as good as the Samsung one, but I can work around it. Thanks!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

seiferguy posted:

That does not sound right.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Grog posted:

Being in Canada, are there any current go-to mid-range or better phones for less than $400 (maybe up to $500) CAD? My water-damaged Axon 7 with a dead display would apparently cost around $330 to fully replace the screen and do an internal cleaning, so that money is probably better spent on just getting a new phone at this point.

If you want to format the poo poo out of it, you can get a midrange with equivalent/better geekbenches to the SD820. No dual speakers though:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH9M7WS0262

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Charles posted:

How do I totally replace Google Assistant with Cortana?

You don't but congratulations on being one of ten people in the universe interested in doing so.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Phoneposting but: there's an 'Assist & voice input' area in Settings, where you can choose an 'assist app' - does Cortana show up in there?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Charles posted:

How do I totally replace Google Assistant with Cortana? I disabled Google Assistant and now nothing happens if I hold down the Bluetooth button in my car.

Can I get the phone to read incoming text messages out loud via Bluetooth?

Out of interest why do you want to use Cortana?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Phoneposting but: there's an 'Assist & voice input' area in Settings, where you can choose an 'assist app' - does Cortana show up in there?

That's pretty interesting. It seems to me that digital assistants are the newest form of lock-in given how no platform (other than Android it would seem) allows you to swap them out. It'd be super convenient to have a Google Assistant shortcut on my MacBook, for instance.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

mango sentinel posted:

XZ2 Compact is like the same size as an iPhone 7 which is like as small as phones get these days

Ay, I was really digging the compact so we chose the XZ1. I'll probably go for the XZ2 or Sirocco when my OP3 kicks the bucket (which unfortunately isn't happening anytime soon).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

Ah, got it. The layout of the keyboard isn't as good as the Samsung one, but I can work around it. Thanks!

Gboard is pretty customizable, first thing I do is add a number row to the top of the keyboard (hey if the phone's gonna be taller might as well use the space).

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Any recommendations for an MP3 player?

I really like the Samsung one but every time I play a track I get this warning

This means when I have it on random it only shuffles about half of the songs I have.

Also a long press > play next option would be nice.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Before Google play music i used poweramp with great success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

If you want to format the poo poo out of it, you can get a midrange with equivalent/better geekbenches to the SD820. No dual speakers though:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH9M7WS0262
I noticed a few people talking about the Mi A2 when I looked stuff up before. What do you mean by formatting the poo poo out of it, though? Do you have to load a custom ROM for it to be any good or something?

Also yeah, I don't care that much about the speakers or that high-end DAC that was in the Axon anymore. I just ended up using my BackBeat Fit most of the time.