Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/witeken/status/1072881340750721025?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Some people are interpreting this as meaning that 10nm will be for low power stuff only and the high performance stuff will stay on 14nm++++++++.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I took it more like an endorsement of chiplets using their new stacking tech. I think that quote was while he was presenting it even. idk for sure though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's shrouds.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I take it as their implementation of 10nm is turning out to be an abject failure, and if they wait for it to add other new features, they'll get cyberbullied enough by nerds for rehashing Skylake in 2020 that finance guys and corporate IT purchasers will take notice.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

The Foveros interposing tech is cool; I wonder how it stacks up against the stacking tech that Samsung / TSMC (Xilinx/etc) have been doing.

It sounds different in that it's a stack of active parts -- they're talking about the interposer die not just being wiring but also the PCH. Xilinx 2.5D only uses the silicon interposer as wiring, which makes it much cheaper (and more limited in what it can do).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cygni posted:

I took it more like an endorsement of chiplets using their new stacking tech. I think that quote was while he was presenting it even. idk for sure though

Based on the fuller quotes I read in Anandtech's article, it's actually that they don't want to have their new microarchitectural features tied to specific process nodes any more. They were lamenting not being able to backport their 10nm cores to 14nm once it was clear 10nm would be delayed. So, in the future, they're going to change the way they do things to make that sort of course change more possible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
In other words, they're ready to backport to 14nm++++ when 10nm eventually shits the bed in some hilariously basic load condition

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BobHoward posted:

Based on the fuller quotes I read in Anandtech's article, it's actually that they don't want to have their new microarchitectural features tied to specific process nodes any more. They were lamenting not being able to backport their 10nm cores to 14nm once it was clear 10nm would be delayed. So, in the future, they're going to change the way they do things to make that sort of course change more possible.

They could have use that brand new uarch with higher IPC than Skylake on ancient 22nm and nobody would really give a flying gently caress to what nanometers its built on as long as the performance is awesome.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BobHoward posted:

It sounds different in that it's a stack of active parts -- they're talking about the interposer die not just being wiring but also the PCH. Xilinx 2.5D only uses the silicon interposer as wiring, which makes it much cheaper (and more limited in what it can do).

Definitely missed that; that is pretty baller. I hope they do some interesting things with that tech for their FPGA lineup; Xilinx has been killing it, especially with the recent Versal release and their wins in the cloud computing space.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

actually, nvm

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 15, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Potato Salad posted:

actually, nvm

I realize you're a die-hard Cyrix fanboy, but the AMD K6 is simply the much better choice.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

I realize you're a die-hard Cyrix fanboy, but the AMD K6 is simply the much better choice.

I have no idea what he wrote, but I remember my k6-200 and k62-450 fondly, even if the latter struggled like hell in gta 3. That might have been down to my voodoo3 3000, too..

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

I have no idea what he wrote, but I remember my k6-200 and k62-450 fondly, even if the latter struggled like hell in gta 3. That might have been down to my voodoo3 3000, too..

I remembered very clearly that my hand-me-down Celeron 333A thrashed the poo poo out of my K6-2 500MHz in every PC game and was also a ton more stable in Win98.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Celerons :whitewater:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Not emptyquoting.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Palladium posted:

I remembered very clearly that my hand-me-down Celeron 333A thrashed the poo poo out of my K6-2 500MHz in every PC game and was also a ton more stable in Win98.

My big upgrade off a 486 was to a K6-2 500. Even after I threw in an AGP Radeon 7200, Half Life chugged so hard. Good times playing CS b5.2 and TFC at a glorious 12 FPS.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

they had have ok performance for an embedded part i guess

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I spent 3 years playing half life and quake on a 366MHz celeron with integrated graphics featuring 4MB of VRAM :negative:. I upgraded big time to a 1.4GHz Athlon T-bird and GeForce 3 after that though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:emptyquote:

mystes
May 31, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I spent 3 years playing half life and quake on a 366MHz celeron with integrated graphics featuring 4MB of VRAM :negative:. I upgraded big time to a 1.4GHz Athlon T-bird and GeForce 3 after that though.
It was nice how much faster computers used to get when you upgraded.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

mystes posted:

I went k62 / savage 4 to athlon / gf2, I'll never get a bump like that ever again.

E - ssd in 2009 came close.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still jealous of people that got Celeron 300As. They were released when I was still living with my parents and my dad heard that slot CPUs were bad so I went from Socket 7 to Socket 370 with nothing in between.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Which were the Celerons that you could run dual cpus through a minor hack. That was pretty cool.

I had a 300A @ 450 too and that was a heckofa deal.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got greedy and bought a Celeron 366 hoping to get 550 but I didn't and ended up with a not quite 450 set up :(

Penguin Bacon
Apr 19, 2010

priznat posted:

Which were the Celerons that you could run dual cpus through a minor hack. That was pretty cool.

I had a 300A @ 450 too and that was a heckofa deal.

The classic Abit bp6. My first real computer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Penguin Bacon posted:

The classic Abit bp6. My first real computer.

Wow, Abit, totally had forgotten about that brand! Neat.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My dual CPU boards, both a 2xP2-350 and later a 2xP3-933, lasted me very very long times. While at the tail end not as fast in single threaded loads, the availability of a second CPU/core to execute threads waiting to run (--edit: when some app had a thread going 100%) made my computers a million times more usable than anything else that came up after that. Shortly after I got my P3, Intel announced Xeon and that they're going to disable multiprocessing on the consumer CPUs. loving bastards. I held out on my P3 until AMD eventually brought dual core CPUs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 17, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i was all AMD at the time, but i've always lusted after a Slot 1 Celeron 300A + Abit BH6 combo

ive had to stop myself from drunkenly buying that setup on ebay with a couple of Voodoo 2s and a Vortex 2 soundcard multiple times. like i know it would be completely worthless and just take up space in my house... but i must have it

Yudo
May 15, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Some people are interpreting this as meaning that 10nm will be for low power stuff only and the high performance stuff will stay on 14nm++++++++.

Considering the 10nm chips Intel has released, the process in its current incarnation is likely a mess that can't yield anything more than a GPUless 2 core for poo poo. High performance stuff may have to wait for 7nm to get their shrink beyond more 14nm refinements. Some takeaways: a muarch with wider front end which will likely be quite a bit faster; optimization for "deep learning" because I guess they think GPUs don't exist; and 3D stacked stuff that somehow will not incinerate itself and all around under load. Intel has lots of talent, so perhaps they can pull it off, but the gluing consumer chips together approach seems the winner on paper.

Also: dual celerons 4 eva. I still regret selling that PC.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mystes posted:

Right, but it’s also nice now being legitimately able to ride out a platform purchase for 5 years if you want.

That said what I usually want are fun new builds so I find reasons to upgrade anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I keep my old CPUs with a selection of those that are thrown out at work on my cube wall and have accumulated a pretty good selection of Intel's lineup over the years, as well as a few AMD and Sun models:

The slotted models are given the center spot on the vertex connector, since they're too fat to sit in the top grooves. The one on the right may be especially recognizable given the conversation over the last page.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey so I managed to pillage a 4790 non-k from a warranty job, and I'm wondering if it's worth finding a board for. Currently using a 2500k in a z77 board running at about 4.4ghz (it gets hot here). I assume the 4790 would perform better in later games seeing as I know a fair few people using this chip still?

Edit: I also have a 6500 which they still make boards for but I assume that won't actually get me any real performance benefit.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
From an overclocked 2500K to a 4790 will probably end up slower. Even if you get a motherboard that supports ignoring turbo limits that's only 4 GHz, unlikely to be faster than a 4.4 GHz 2500.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
A 4790 will be faster in newer stuff that requires more than 4 threads. At 4GHz, it'll probably be on par with old Sandy's performance at 4.4, since Devil's Canyon has about 10% more IPC.

If you can find a Q, H, or C series for under fifty bucks, go for it. You don't need a Z series since it's got a locked multi, and you can use the same RAM. So fifty bucks would be all you'd pay and that's that.

You can get some C series workstation boards for next to nothing if you can splice your own ATX and CPU HSF wire adapters, since they'd use weird proprietary Dell/Lenovo/HP plugs, because those companies are dicks like that.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Semi-old PC chat: it was all about the SCSI to avoid lockups burning discs & driving an hour to the nearest Best Buy to get way too many CD-R's far too many times. New Egg 0% Credit was also nice as a poor back then.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

sadus posted:

Semi-old PC chat: it was all about the SCSI to avoid lockups burning discs & driving an hour to the nearest Best Buy to get way too many CD-R's far too many times.

But only those Taiyo Yudens...

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

YES. I ended up with about two trash bags full of CDs to shred a few moves ago :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

bobfather posted:

But only those Taiyo Yudens...

Lol, I remember buying hundreds of these (CDs and DVDs) online from a specific retailer, but Google isn't helping me and the email address I used to use is no longer in service. I'm pretty sure goons only ordered from this place. The discs didn't have any kind of branding on them; they were completely silver and hard to tell which side was the data side at a glance.

I still have some old data backed up on CDs sitting in a drawer in my garage. I even have an optical drive in my PC still.