Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Samsung reconsiders its fake Supreme collaboration in China

Samsung made a deal with Supreme Italia, a company in China that makes knockoff Supreme products. No, Samsung did not mistake the two companies. Supreme NYC does not have the authorization to sell their stuff in China, so Samsung made a deal with a company that does. China is a huge market for both Samsung phones and fake Supreme stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:pray: get on with it :pray:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The MSJ posted:

Samsung reconsiders its fake Supreme collaboration in China

Samsung made a deal with Supreme Italia, a company in China that makes knockoff Supreme products. No, Samsung did not mistake the two companies. Supreme NYC does not have the authorization to sell their stuff in China, so Samsung made a deal with a company that does. China is a huge market for both Samsung phones and fake Supreme stuff.

I'm shocked at the audacity but it's only dumb when Samsung itself suffers that and then it's two fake companies holding a fake event for their fake collaboration. In terms of branding I can kinda see the value, but only if they kept it localised to China. It's a bad look for them in international press sure but most people don't care anyway and Supreme is getting zero sympathy from anyone cause cmon.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I'm shocked at the audacity but it's only dumb when Samsung itself suffers that and then it's two fake companies holding a fake event for their fake collaboration. In terms of branding I can kinda see the value, but only if they kept it localised to China. It's a bad look for them in international press sure but most people don't care anyway and Supreme is getting zero sympathy from anyone cause cmon.

You can buy official Supreme crowbars and axes. They are beyond ridiculous.

A Supreme-branded axe can only be inspired by American Psycho.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Supreme T-shirts that are literally just white shirts with a red Supreme logo cost hundreds or thousands of dollars on the resellers market. There's absolutely nothing special about them or the materials they're made of except for the brand.

In short, fake Supreme products as much as possible until the brand is toast.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Supreme T-shirts that are literally just white shirts with a red Supreme logo cost hundreds or thousands of dollars on the resellers market. There's absolutely nothing special about them or the materials they're made of except for the brand.

In short, fake Supreme products as much as possible until the brand is toast.

I never knew Supreme was a company that sold anything aside from t-shirts and flat-brimmed hats to idiots. Is this the skateboarding version of RVCA, which I also see the same type of idiots wearing?

drat kids get off my lawn :argh:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Supreme is enough of a scam that John Oliver did a segment on them (unless that was a fever dream which is also possible).

E: went to check that I'm not crazy and luckily only a little. Hassan Minhaj, not Oliver, but in my defence all the ex daily show guys with their similar shows kinda run together in my head now cause I'm an old: https://qz.com/quartzy/1468481/hasan-minhaj-buying-supreme-is-immoral-and-lame/

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Dec 15, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

Supreme is enough of a scam that John Oliver did a segment on them (unless that was a fever dream which is also possible).

E: went to check that I'm not crazy and luckily only a little. Hassan Minhaj, not Oliver, but in my defence all the ex daily show guys with their similar shows kinda run together in my head now cause I'm an old: https://qz.com/quartzy/1468481/hasan-minhaj-buying-supreme-is-immoral-and-lame/

https://stockx.com/supreme-clay-brick-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiA28nfBRCDARIsANc5BFCa0UbBOIS1DM1oXiUfhXvRZXMRVCGj0mgAg7twMpoZlT95KigPzaEaAq8kEALw_wcB

why

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It just boggles my mind that an oversight committee would be chaired by a member of the same party (or coalition in the case of a multi-party system) as the executive. What interest have they in digging up dirt?

Opposition parties chair cross party committees in the UK. The Chair of the Privileges Committee is a Labour Party member, Tories are in a minority on the committee. The ruling party is almost always in a minority on committees and opposition parties chair a lot of them. Finance Committee, Home Affairs committee both chaired by Labour.

Lol at thinking Israel was a beacon of progressiveness.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Netanyahu might be a dumpster fire of a person but the way the parliament is set up there seems to be more logical and closer to European democracies compared to the laughable US system which is almost set up to allow the corruption that's endemic in the system. At least in other places industry usually doesn't get to submit their own legislation governing their industry...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aramoro posted:

Opposition parties chair cross party committees in the UK. The Chair of the Privileges Committee is a Labour Party member, Tories are in a minority on the committee. The ruling party is almost always in a minority on committees and opposition parties chair a lot of them. Finance Committee, Home Affairs committee both chaired by Labour.

That's cool. I'm unfortunately more familiar with the case in the US.

quote:

Parliamentarily it's leaps and bounds over the US. Proportional representation means the offset between public will and parliament composition is leaps and bounds over the UK. The public is very right-wing and it's reflected in the Knesset, in addition to a significant population that is disenfranchised so is not represented at all. :shrug:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Israel has a superb governmental system for a democratic state. The only slight problem is that it's not democratic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Parliamentarily it's leaps and bounds over the US. Proportional representation means the offset between public will and parliament composition is leaps and bounds over the UK. The public is very right-wing and it's reflected in the Knesset, in addition to a significant population that is disenfranchised so is not represented at all. :shrug:

My understanding of it is a bit hazy but I seem to recall a serious problem with the Israeli system being that you always end up with 10ish percent of the seats in the hands of a party of lunatics who would, in a more traditional system, never have gotten a single seat, and that these lunatics then get to act as Kingmaker in every government because their loyalty in a coalition is guaranteed as long as you're willing to put up with more of their bullshit than any of the other parties.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cock hero flux posted:

My understanding of it is a bit hazy but I seem to recall a serious problem with the Israeli system being that you always end up with 10ish percent of the seats in the hands of a party of lunatics who would, in a more traditional system, never have gotten a single seat, and that these lunatics then get to act as Kingmaker in every government because their loyalty in a coalition is guaranteed as long as you're willing to put up with more of their bullshit than any of the other parties.

That's not accurate. There is a significant what you would call here "Frum" (Haredi) minority that would always get seats, because they have the voters. It is true that they do have very specific focuses, while otherwise historically being flexible, so they often get to be kingmakers. It's kind of like how the New York Senate was for that brief moment when Simcha Felder was the one Democrat caucusing with the Republicans denying Dems their majority after the IDC got disbanded.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So he's fighting against Daesh, correct? That seems like an extremely important piece of contextual information

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

quote:

Jumaah, who is of Yazidi origin, went to Iraq voluntarily to reunite with his family after receiving a message from his wife that Daesh forces had invaded the nearby village, killed all the men and took the women into slavery.

But this is favorite part from the article

Chemistry Professor posted:

What was happening was completely unacceptable," she told LUM. "I got so angry that IS was pushing itself into our world, exposing my doctoral student and his family to this, and disrupting the research.

THE RESEARCH MUST BE COMPLETED :black101:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you endanger the next grant, you better hope God's gonna have mercy, cause the faculty sure won't.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/snopes/status/1074795639429652480

I don't know what weapons will be used in WWIII, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stonesnunchucks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

No food lion parking lots in new york though :(

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/NME/status/1074952674758537216

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/snopes/status/1074795639429652480

I don't know what weapons will be used in WWIII, but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stonesnunchucks!

A bit more context, so the guy doesn't totally sound like a fatbeard with a weird agenda

https://www.apnews.com/f6fc6ffac3ca4eaa9dd4ff07be0c7c48

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maloney also wanted to teach a form of martial art using nunchucks that he created, which he calls “Shafan Ha Lavan” to his sons, the ruling said.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

“Shafan Ha Lavan”  is bad Hebrew for "The White Rabbit"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

By popular demand posted:

Seems this Maloney guy should've paid more attention in shul.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Are white bunnies known for kicking rear end?
E: oh wait, Usagi Yojimbo is a thing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

By popular demand posted:

You mean "Beat the Weenie"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1075151243977342976

https://twitter.com/ETCanada/status/1075110936879489024

Slow news day, I guess

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alfonso's lawyer clarified that he did not literally "stole" the dance. According to him, it was an interpretation of a 'white people dance'.

This is something that has quite a debate, actually, of whether you could copyright a dance move. If Alfonso and rapper 2 Milly (who started this whole thing) wins, it could have an impact on copyright laws.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

We live in the dumbest possible reality.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Unsurprisingly, Twitter CEO looks like a white supremacist.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Johnny Aztec posted:

Unsurprisingly, Twitter CEO looks like a white supremacist.

he looks like a GTA character who talks a lot of poo poo and gets offed in a random cutscene

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1075090976803217408

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL

I love Paul F Tompkins.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Japanese store chain accidentally packages real knife in 'fake knife' prank sets.

https://gizmodo.com/real-utility-knives-were-accidentally-sold-as-prank-fin-1828797026

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1075241917737287681

Bodega cat in a slump.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

he looks like a GTA character who talks a lot of poo poo and gets offed in a random cutscene

Nah he’s the “power of yes” guy from Far Cry 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bank in Cleveland calls 911 because black man's paycheck is too high.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2018/12/18/cleveland-man-alleges-racial-profiling-after-bank-refuses-cash-check-calls/