Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

so why didn't we tighten our bonds with belgrade? was it going to be a vassalisation type affair, or is it simply us being embroiled in a massive and desperate war for survival turning us effectively stalinist?

The reading that I took away from the update was that they effectively offered us vassalation, and for the purposes of the LP, we couldn’t say yes to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

V. Illych L. posted:

so why didn't we tighten our bonds with belgrade? was it going to be a vassalisation type affair, or is it simply us being embroiled in a massive and desperate war for survival turning us effectively stalinist?

Yeah, it would've basically turned us into a vassal of the Balkan federation, which was never going to happen.

Also, I didn't purposely intend for Iberia to go full-on stalinist, but I don't really see many other options after a vicious two year civil war, immediately followed by the largest and costliest war in human history. So yeah, we're gonna be ruled by a dictator, for the time being at least.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

MaxieSatan posted:

Yeah, if we pull out an actual win instead of a Not Terrible Peace I want the Monarchies separated and Morocco brought to heel.

We'll cross that bridge if we don't burn it first, ofc.

If we win, then yes, the peace treaty's gonna be something special.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Cuba sure is nice this time of year.

Why the hell did any of those idiots stay over there?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Al-Andalus: A Paradox Mega-LP Hellworld

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Al Andalus: Come for the novel cancer treatments, stay for the public garrotings.

Also, as a longtime liberal voter... I TOLD YOU WE NEEDED BOTES.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You managed to make a V2 late game war interesting, and for that we salute you.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

“We must oppose fascism!”

immediately makes alliance with fascist state when things get tough

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I didn't sign up for this. I was happy with the boats and trains. Is Morocco the only absolute monarchy of the allied great powers?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Zikan posted:

“We must oppose fascism!”

immediately makes alliance with fascist state when things get tough

either we win and can deal with them later, or we take them with us in the fall

either way, it's all good! let's hope that japan takes up their example and opens up a second front with the russians

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Cuba sure is nice this time of year.

Why the hell did any of those idiots stay over there?

:respek:
They called me a coward for choosing exile. But it's nice to have a functional wind pipe, I'll tell you what.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

And this is why you never mobilize in V2. This army comp is complete garbage and could never have won a late game battle. At this point it should be nearly half artillery, half infantry and a small smattering of engineers and cavalry to keep up recon and siege value.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

sheep-dodger posted:

And this is why you never mobilize in V2. This army comp is complete garbage and could never have won a late game battle. At this point it should be nearly half artillery, half infantry and a small smattering of engineers and cavalry to keep up recon and siege value.

Pretty sure the +4 from gas attack would make any army composition in the game bend to its knees. Though obviously this one isn't ideal.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I literally don’t know how Andalus could be forming an army at this point, joining must be 100% at gun point for what a death sentence it has become

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I literally don’t know how Andalus could be forming an army at this point, joining must be 100% at gun point for what a death sentence it has become

Narratively, yeah. But in-game, it's actually been surprisingly easy to throw together armies numbering 60 and 70k, even after the civil war. They're all very poo poo infantry units, but still.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pretty sure the +4 from gas attack would make any army composition in the game bend to its knees. Though obviously this one isn't ideal.

You can still win against gas under the right circumstances, but definitely not on the offensive with nearly exclusively infantry.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

eeeh we could reasonably assume that there's a pretty serious level of revolutionary fervour in al-andalus atm

making armies is probably more like gathering up a bunch of weird armes bands anyway, more consolidation than actual recruitment

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
There's probably some serious revolutionary fervour against communism

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

V. Illych L. posted:

eeeh we could reasonably assume that there's a pretty serious level of revolutionary fervour in al-andalus atm

making armies is probably more like gathering up a bunch of weird armes bands anyway, more consolidation than actual recruitment

Where the hell is our million person doomstack?!

Oh, right, the Rais murdered most of them for being unreliable ideologically.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dance Officer posted:

There's probably some serious revolutionary fervour against communism

there would've been, but they all seem to have gone short of breath weirdly

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Hard to imagine that the Celtic Union was once a major military power with a fearsome reputation.

Here's hoping Germany somehow manages to carry us over the finish line despite the incompetence of us and our other allies.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 15, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

QuoProQuid posted:

Hard to imagine that the Celtic Union was once a major military power with a fearsome reputation.

Here's hoping Germany somehow manages to carry us over the finish line despite the incompetence of us and our other allies.

The Celts went to poo poo as soon as Al-Andalus stabbed Morocco in the back for them in EUIV.

Also we should have never instituted the Monarchy to try to cozy up to France...

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Hashim posted:

If we win, then yes, the peace treaty's gonna be something special.

stainless-steel collars for every royal

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MaxieSatan posted:

Yeah, if we pull out an actual win instead of a Not Terrible Peace I want the Monarchies separated and Morocco brought to heel.

We'll cross that bridge if we don't burn it first, ofc.

The supreme leader will do it

He's going to seize the straits

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Honestly, if we get the straits and solid healthcare out of this, the past century will all have been worth it

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So after the civil wars, and now this. What's the population looking like compared to before all that?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Rodyle posted:

The supreme leader will do it

He's going to seize the straits

Honestly it's caused so much trouble they should just cut it off somehow. A castraition if you will.

RA Rx3
Dec 13, 2018

paragon1 posted:

And from an alt account for some reason.

It's not an alt-account, just a new account after locking away the old one when I get very busy. 10 bucks every 2 years on average, but LowTax could use the money.

---

Great performance on land again.
Sank the Provencal navy.
Germany single-handedly turns the tables against France in both Andalusia and Britain as expected, before the Russians put a quick stop to it.
Frangleterre still looking very shaky despite their slowdown in losses, but the addition of Scandinavia, Liege and Hungary should outweigh New England being pulled back to Gharbia and Poland joining for a few months.

The admirals just surrendering with so many to defect to right before another massive war was weird, but it also feels like a fraction of the communist rebel doomstack could've been modded in, so that balances out.

Those New Englanders are fierce... Causing more casualties despite being badly outnumbered. Or maybe because of the low quality infantry from the mobilization.

Navy sunk

Gassed by Morroco...

Should've kept voting Liberal for no civil war and a better fuckoff navy.

Fantastic update, as always!

RA Rx3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 15, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Randarkman posted:

So after the civil wars, and now this. What's the population looking like compared to before all that?

I'll go into the total casualties after the war's over, but to give you a bit of an idea, this is our population in 1900 vs now:

You'll notice that all the northern states (Qantabriyya, Burtuqal, Lishbuna etc) have suffered pretty decent population losses, that's mostly because of the civil war, where most of the fighting happened in the north. The southern states are beginning to lost pops now as well, the most prominent being Qadis, and that would be because of the Great War.

All being unfortunate but necessary sacrifices for the advance of the revolution, of course.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 15, 2018

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A lot of states also have higher populations, is the ~7M Pop losses from the Khedivite going independent, I assume?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Most states seem to have grown in population. Considering what has happened over the last few years - mass starvation, a huge civil war, executions by the hundreds of thousands, mass migration, and now another war, I'd expect a serious population loss.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The only states really ravaged over the past three years have been in the north (with the notable exception of Liyun), but yeah, almost all the southern states have grown in population. Only Qadis has really declined, because that's the only state that was really affected by the civil war in the south, and by the Great War so far. But as the war progresses, depending on whether we're able to hold the Moroccan advance somehow, then I'd expect most of the other states to begin suffering more serious population loss as well.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

ZearothK posted:

A lot of states also have higher populations, is the ~7M Pop losses from the Khedivite going independent, I assume?

Yep, that and parts of our Indian empire breaking away.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Dance Officer posted:

Most states seem to have grown in population. Considering what has happened over the last few years - mass starvation, a huge civil war, executions by the hundreds of thousands, mass migration, and now another war, I'd expect a serious population loss.

The game doesn't really model civilian casualties.

RA Rx3
Dec 13, 2018

Hashim posted:

You'll notice that all the northern states (Qantabriyya, Burtuqal, Lishbuna etc) have suffered pretty decent population losses, that's mostly because of the civil war, where most of the fighting happened in the north. The southern states are beginning to lost pops now as well, the most prominent being Qadis, and that would be because of the Great War.

All being unfortunate but necessary sacrifices for the advance of the revolution, of course.

How many percent of a province's population die from one large battle with gas?

RA Rx3 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 15, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Probably very few, if at all. Great war battlefields were not places where you'd find people who have nothing to do with the war in the near vicinity, and poison gases at the time were generally non-lethal. Even if they were lethal, they depended on high concentrations, so if the clouds dispersed they'd rapidly lose lethality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From the most powerful and prominent country in the world to desperately throwing human waves as all the old enemies invade like they always do. Maybe great nation rankings are just bullshit. Hopefully you'll find some second wind so you won't be totally wrecked, but it don't look good for now.

And how 'bout those fortifications on the Pyrenees?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

SlothfulCobra posted:

From the most powerful and prominent country in the world to desperately throwing human waves as all the old enemies invade like they always do. Maybe great nation rankings are just bullshit. Hopefully you'll find some second wind so you won't be totally wrecked, but it don't look good for now.

They're really strong, so I'm waiting to get Gas Defense, and once that pops I'll try and dig in along the Pyrenees. The French won't be able to get past us if we can reach that far, so the only problem left would be Morocco from the south.

RA Rx3
Dec 13, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

If Al Andalus didn't want to get wrecked it wouldn't have voted anti-military for the last several elections...
(edit: also, incidentally, abandoning the political center and pushing the country towards civil war)

RA Rx3 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

We voted for the pro-military communists last vote :colbert: