Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiritus Nox posted:

At this point I'm very much expecting this to be a sort of show where you get the ending to Akane's personal story with depression and isolation and loathing and poo poo but a lot of the broader mysteries of the setting are left unexplained - and I'm perfectly okay with that. Akane's story is a lot more fascinating to me than any of the logistics of how the simulation is working or any of that anyway.

It's Sim City 2000.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, I'm ready for the penultimate cold-opened real-world flashback episode where we see her decline; what it will actually explain is what I'm not.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

At this point I'm very much expecting this to be a sort of show where you get the ending to Akane's personal story with depression and isolation and loathing and poo poo but a lot of the broader mysteries of the setting are left unexplained - and I'm perfectly okay with that. Akane's story is a lot more fascinating to me than any of the logistics of how the simulation is working or any of that anyway.

That's kind of what I'm expecting.

I think ultimately I'm just not used to liking shows enough to be sad when they end.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

I wish I had a source, but if I remember right, wasn't Gridman a backup pick after Amemiya couldn't get Ultraman?

Because, if so, it's going to be pretty funny (assuming things keep on their current track) when Gridman's anime radically outperforms Ultraman's.

It could all crash and burn (call no man happy until he's dead and that), but right now Gridman's looking amazing. Not only as a show (because, yeah, it's good), but its dramatically exceeding sales expectations, and it finished production weeks ago.

Pretty impressive.

The ultraman anime is based off that recent manga where its like, the son of the guy who was the first ultraman but doesnt do the whole turning giant to fight monster thing. It seemed like an odd choice when I read a bit of it.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Artum posted:

The ultraman anime is based off that recent manga where its like, the son of the guy who was the first ultraman but doesnt do the whole turning giant to fight monster thing. It seemed like an odd choice when I read a bit of it.

Yeah, it's less like OG Ultraman and more like "What if Ultraman was a Kamen Rider, and also what if being an Kamen-Ultra-Rider-Man was hereditary?"

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 11, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZp34iiXpWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llxb1cw90_s

They're good songs. I can imagine they're, or at least Akane's is, heartbreaking if you actually understand Japanese considering how the series has been these last few episodes. Especially since even with my small knowledge of Japanese I know Akane's song is called "I want to know you more".

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 11, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like Rikka's in particular. Hope we get lyrics soon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The girls gridmans neon genesis middle schoolers are alright.

https://twitter.com/ueyamamichiro/status/1071077168963190784?s=19

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Simon The Digger posted:

Yeah, it's less like OG Ultraman and more like "What if Ultraman was a Kamen Rider, and also what if being an Kamen-Ultra-Rider-Man was hereditary?"

Its even weirder that its whats getting an anime when The Ultraman in the last animator expo was quite compelling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a kitten posted:

The girls gridmans neon genesis middle schoolers are alright.

https://twitter.com/ueyamamichiro/status/1071077168963190784?s=19

Okay, Shirase as Max makes sense, since they're both big dorks who manage to look cool thanks to the silent act, Mari as Samurai Calibur syncs up since they're both the central ones of their group, and Hinata as Borr is probably the best match available since they're both willing to say things other people won't, but Yuzuki puts way too much effort into things to resemble Vit in the slightest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Okay, Shirase as Max makes sense, since they're both big dorks who manage to look cool thanks to the silent act, Mari as Samurai Calibur syncs up since they're both the central ones of their group, and Hinata as Borr is probably the best match available since they're both willing to say things other people won't, but Yuzuki puts way too much effort into things to resemble Vit in the slightest.
Also (probably stretching it a bit) both Borr and Hinata are respectively voiced by Aoi Yuuki and Yuka Iguchi, Symphogear's voice actresses for Hibiki and Miku, so maybe an additional shout-out to that? :3:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also, they're both the shortest.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
So I just watched the show and all I can say is....that just happened.

I have to give Gridman props though. Few things tell you the series is getting to its climax and has stopped pulling its punches better than by taking away the literal undo-mechanism. On screen...by a laughing hotdog.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akane really is out of ideas...
https://twitter.com/nekofriends3/status/1072888871602421760

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That last panel made me laugh more than it should've.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RAWR WHERE DID MY GLASSES GOOOO??

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Grouchio posted:

RAWR WHERE DID MY GLASSES GAOOOO??

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
That actually might not be such a bad idea actually. Remember when Anti first showed up and we got the whole "This Kaiju can talk and has feelings! I can't kill it!"?

Giant Akane would hit that button even harder.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Borr would just be like, "Hold my beer. I'm going to beat her up."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/asitabatomorou/status/1073578666372653056?s=19

:stonklol:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Any excuse to draw sailor uniform Yuta.

Cute gag though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2018/12/ssssgridman-voice-drama-episode-1010.html

In case you weren't keeping up with the translation releases, before 11 comes out. This one sounds to be placed between Utsumi talking to Yuta again and the kaiju attack afterwards.
Utsumi gets totally busted. Hass and Namiko aren't dismayed one bit that neither one is showing interest in them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wish Hass and Namiko showed up more because they're doing a good run as Best Side Characters.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Nice touch at the end of the OP

goddammit Alexis you absolute piece of interrupting gently caress

THE PROPHECY

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am being actively denied my Rikka Gridwoman. At least we get Akane Kaiju.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The madman did it. they made a parody comic real

Also god drat Alexis interrupting Akane and Rika just when Akane seemed ready to open up was a gut punch. Great direction and mood this whole episode

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I dunno, with them holding up a big sign saying "Utsumi is going to get to do something" I don't think it's out of the question they'll get their chance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will laugh if Utsumi gets to do jack poo poo by the end of the series, but still feel a bit bad for him.

Also, Rikka Mama x Calibur getting steam.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The shot after the Gridman team henshined with Rikka's mom was interesting as she had golden eyes like Yuta had when he said he was Gridman. Didn't think much of it but it lingered so I wonder if that's a hint too

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd seen the speculation about Yuta being Gridman all along, though most of them focused on him being him wholesale, and not just occupying an existing body. That said, there's clearly still something important about Yuta the person that we won't know until next episode, apparently. Also, gently caress you Alexis.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Real!Yuta is going to wake up at the end of all this and going to be insanely confused at everything that's gone on since he was taken over.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show loving rules, jesus christ. Three of the best episodes of anime I've seen all year in consecutive weeks. Dare I hope for 4?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2018

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

My money is still on Rikka using the power of friendship to make kaiju-Akane pull an Anti and transform into Grid(wo)man Sigma. Just makes too much sense with both the unused original Gridman ideas this series cribs from and the various Transformers SG allusions. (Not really spoilers per se, but quite specific speculation.)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Something I want to speculate about : We know now that Gridman chose to possess Real!Yuta specifically for a reason. I'm going to guess that Real!Yuta hurt Akane somehow? I feel like Gridman chose Yuta specifically because Akane wanted to push her negative feelings onto him? ....Or maybe Yuta is as much of a weird loner as Akane really is? 'In Akane Shinjo's world, he alone-'

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sindai posted:

THE PROPHECY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgflCE7zRpc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Yay, the OP updated!
OH NO THE OP UPDATED

This show keeps delivering, man.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
I should have expected it but I'm still so mad about Alexis interrupting the conversation at the end. Anti going "You're late, Gridman." made me smile though. A good boy, unlike that alien.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TheFireMagi posted:

I should have expected it but I'm still so mad about Alexis interrupting the conversation at the end. Anti going "You're late, Gridman." made me smile though. A good boy, unlike that alien.

I 1000000 percent expected it and it still made me :argh:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mejiamichihiro/status/1073976718304600065

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The shot after the Gridman team henshined with Rikka's mom was interesting as she had golden eyes like Yuta had when he said he was Gridman. Didn't think much of it but it lingered so I wonder if that's a hint too

Obviously, she's a high ranking agent of the Space Patrol.