Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Who's still playing on live? I've been logging in super casually for a month or so now, have a NIN up to 65 or so and RDM to 50ish. I'd love a linkshell invite if anyone will be on after like 10pm Central tonight. Character name Kefkataran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Has anyone tried the new Eden server? There's been a lot of hype around it and I'm curious if it's worth it's salt: http://www.classicffxi.com/

It's _supposed_ to be better developed than Nasomi since there's a team, but it looks like it's not anywhere close to the playerbase.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
No Dancer, no sale.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Just assume any 75 era private server is a circlejerk of broken poo poo and move on, you won't relive the OG 75 era.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

sailormoon posted:

Has anyone tried the new Eden server? There's been a lot of hype around it and I'm curious if it's worth it's salt: http://www.classicffxi.com/

It's _supposed_ to be better developed than Nasomi since there's a team, but it looks like it's not anywhere close to the playerbase.

my buddy and i made characters on it. It uses current retail patch that has been modified by the server side so you don’t need to reinstall the game. Also means you can use current ashita or windower or whatever too.

seems ok so far. just something to put around in.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

star eater posted:

my buddy and i made characters on it. It uses current retail patch that has been modified by the server side so you don’t need to reinstall the game. Also means you can use current ashita or windower or whatever too.

seems ok so far. just something to put around in.

Does that mean the modern bots work on it?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yes.

if you wanna use them tho you have to temporarily rename xiloader.exe to pol.exe but the bots should work fine otherwise

windower bots work out of the box

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Wen you rename xiloader to pol.exe add this to your windower settings.xml (with your own file path).
If you use a separate profile for retail and DSP, only add it to the DSP one.

code:
<executable>C:\ffxi-windower\xiloader\pol.exe</executable>

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I started playing this game again to relive my 2006 era childhood and now I'm a level 99 geomancer and 90 ninja on Asura named Obligatory

I just hit 99 for the first time and am wrapping up RoV but if anyone plays on this dumb giant overpopulated server please send me a message or a LS or something I need friends

Note for anyone else who hasn't played since 2006-ish: The game you played before is mostly gone and all of the massive timewastes are gone, it's incredibly fast to level and the game is packed full of conveniences. It's still really fun to play though and it has been so quick to get through everything that you can relive everything you spent 2 years on a decade ago in about 2 weeks, then move on to all the cool new stuff. This game has a way of making you earn your rewards that no other MMO has ever matched, imo. It comes with a built-in sense of accomplishment. No other MMO has ever left me feeling like I have such a vast array of answers to "What should I do next?" as FFXI

If any new players or returning players want to join me in the land of Vana'diel I will run you through any missions you need help with to get all the exp buffs and etc. and in general just make your time easier!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 30, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
We have a discord you can use to get invite to Ls or help. I'm on mobile so someone else will have to post it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Here is the discord link
https://discord.gg/MKw5d5a

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I have never played this game, but on a whim I purchased it from Steam. After navigating PlayOnline & Square Enix's awful systems I think I finally have my account set up, and I am downloading the update files from Krizz's site (as suggested by the wiki's quickstart guide). We'll see where this takes me next...

In the mean time trying to learn as much as possible from the wiki.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Sounds like the plan for 2019 is major changes to how each individual class plays. Vague info here.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

With the fast leveling, Im assuming gear is easier to acquire. How often does a typical player have to stop to farm gil to keep progressing their character and the plot?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

walruscat posted:

With the fast leveling, Im assuming gear is easier to acquire. How often does a typical player have to stop to farm gil to keep progressing their character and the plot?

Before end-game all of your gear comes from a currency you get from doing quests that come from a menu that you can access from anywhere and can effectively be done in almost any zone. As long as you unlock Records of Eminence and then keep doing RoE quests you'll be able to buy all of your leveling gear from NPCs stationed in each of the 3 major cities.

You can also level 1-99 completely naked letting your NPC party members do all of the work.

The most effective way to make gil as a new player is to buy equipment with that same currency and sell it to NPC vendors so you will never really need to stop to farm gear unless you're trying to do something at level 99 that requires a lot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 1, 2019

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The cool way is to paypal me money for instant riches.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Hello everyone, I am an idiot who resubbed to this old game in order to beat the story, get to 99 with something and find some sort of closure. It's amazing how easy and relatively fast the game is now with warps, trusts and mounts. I'm literally 30 in three jobs and I started fresh two days ago. Is 99+ endgame content the only thing you need real people for anymore? Would I be double the idiot for camping Mee Deggi for the cool gloves that never dropped?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fiannaiocht posted:

Hello everyone, I am an idiot who resubbed to this old game in order to beat the story, get to 99 with something and find some sort of closure. It's amazing how easy and relatively fast the game is now with warps, trusts and mounts. I'm literally 30 in three jobs and I started fresh two days ago. Is 99+ endgame content the only thing you need real people for anymore? Would I be double the idiot for camping Mee Deggi for the cool gloves that never dropped?

you will still need some help with the level capped missions in RoV and SoA.
Yes, rare, hard to get low level poo poo is hilariously useless. in the time it takes to camp it, you could have hit 99 rear end naked.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Welp, resubbed to this drat thing again and I don't remember how to play. Who do I harass for a pearl?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
However, if camping that stupid yag helps you get the closure you feel you need to never play this game again then absolutely do that because anything you can do to never play this game again is a good thing.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah DONT PLAY this game

i just keep hoping one day my botting and hacking will get me perma banned. sweet release.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Male of the Century posted:

However, if camping that stupid yag helps you get the closure you feel you need to never play this game again then absolutely do that because anything you can do to never play this game again is a good thing.
This advice is so drat good.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

star eater posted:

yeah DONT PLAY this game

i just keep hoping one day my botting and hacking will get me perma banned. sweet release.

Was on for about 5 hours, had no idea what to do, remembered I had almost all jobs at 99, leveled bard from 1-63 with Trusts, then logged. Money well spent. Barely remember where any of the content I was on is anymore which didn't help.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

LiquidFriend posted:

The cool way is to paypal me money for instant riches.

Can confirm this poo poo works.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I am an idiot and trying out this private server which reduces your level to 1 if you die.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
:magical:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I am an idiot and trying out this private server which reduces your level to 1 if you die.

What a terrible idea!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Can confirm this poo poo works.
My highlight was selling 500m for someone to buy a lovely, awful staff. God bless this dumb bad game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

What a terrible idea!

Got to level 4 and died to a rarab. At least it's only level and not combat skills or anything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ghostinmyshell posted:

is there anyone on there insane enough to have made it to level 75 under these conditions? if there is, that person should almost certainly be examined, we could learn a lot

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

This might be a fun idea if they boosted EXP rates tremendously and somehow enabled world PvP.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I think the highest level is 20 and ppl are kinda sorting things out. I’m getting outposts and then doing a cross country trip from windy to Bastok before leveling anything.

Gonna conquer enemy newbie regions to unlock outposts :)

The server op is pretty open to ideas it seems I’m going to suggest some kind of rhapsody like based off key items or Cheevos unlocks to speed up xp if you die.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I think the highest level is 20 and ppl are kinda sorting things out. I’m getting outposts and then doing a cross country trip from windy to Bastok before leveling anything.

Gonna conquer enemy newbie regions to unlock outposts :)

The server op is pretty open to ideas it seems I’m going to suggest some kind of rhapsody like based off key items or Cheevos unlocks to speed up xp if you die.

Double exp rate, but you open yourself to pvp.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Double exp rate, but you open yourself to pvp.

:yeshaha:

I just think the idea of a FFXI "red" server appeals to me for the pure novelty factor. No idea if it's technically possible, though.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

I just think the idea of a FFXI "red" server appeals to me for the pure novelty factor. No idea if it's technically possible, though.

Just turn ballista rules on for all the zones or something.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

The novelty wears once your realize how unapproachably lovely ffxi pvp is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played this game since 2005 and I still don't believe anyone who says it has pvp

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Yesterday I ran from windy to Jeuno at lvl 1 picked up the flowers for the mog house quest while doing outposts and ran all the way to bastok. There I grinded to 12 on monk and thought surely I could kill leaping Lizzy with my 2 hr. It went poorly and I warped in the middle of the fight and died inside the mob house due to the poison. Back to mnk lv1 at least you keep skills.

So I have learned carry antidotes and the mog house is not an instant heal on private servers.

Does anyone have a decent route solo 1 to 15 for windy zones? I might go back since I found out the WW in windys embassy is broken too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
moghouse only heals on job change i believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Got back to 14 today ran around a corner into a bomb and blew up. I think this was a fun little experiment but it's not for me right now as it stands. Highest level is 23, they got their SJ and unlocked chocobo.