Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the free drones stands with the worker, let your drones be free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mate i would if i could but there's no option for that :(

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i finished building the forest just as New Humbolt grew to size 3, so the new worker can get straight to work chopping down genetically-modified dwarf pine trees. however, i misinterpreted how the Crater mineral bonus works -- looks like it's +1 minerals only in the innermost 3x3 zone, so the forest only gives 2 minerals instead of 3 like i was hoping.

still not doing too bad for mineral/energy income at my HQ. i'm definitely skimping on my garrison though. the tile with the mineral bonus and solar panels to the northwest can also support a farm for those critical nutrient gains.

the map settings give me a little more info than i probably should be able to access:

(smoka you should go plunk a sea base in that kelp forest!)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

update: i've now got drone riots at my HQ lol. managed to halt them by switching in a talent however now i've got no minerals to build poo poo. i need to get on top of this psych situation lmao

i had to expensively rush a recreation commons at my HQ like 20 turns ago so i feel your pain agony information before the senses.

not an immediate solution but would it help to build a forest?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

(smoka you should go plunk a sea base in that kelp forest!)

I'm getting hosed up by worms I need to build more ships

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Can’t wait until I can spend 50 turns (3 years irl) building The Virtual World

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Can’t wait until I can spend 50 turns (3 years irl) building The Virtual World

what do I care for your suffering?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there's not much territory for me to put down a base and I've had to pull back what's left of my exploration to deal with mindworms

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
PIRATES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPtw8Pl_fn0

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

we've been playing this all year

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

exploration update:

hopefully the first unity pod of many! the SS Minnow is in a position to strike first against the alien life almost certainly lurking beneath the pod.

in other news, we've launched the back-up foil, christened the SS Guppy.
the tile with the nutrients next to Ligma Falls is too rocky to support terraforming. i'm planning to level it eventually but that takes 8 turns (3 real-time weeks) and every moment is precious.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

update: i've now got drone riots at my HQ lol. managed to halt them by switching in a talent however now i've got no minerals to build poo poo. i need to get on top of this psych situation lmao

i looked into your industrial situation (one of my duties as a supportive Pact Sib) and

i think you may have a few more units than are strictly necessary
formers just toodling around on Chairman Yang's Exo-Autobahn

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 16, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ll take that artifact off your hands

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

here is my predicament I've been dealing with. the map is like inverse for me on the water

really digging those pirate captain names :cool:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

i looked into your industrial situation (one of my duties as a supportive Pact Sib) and

i think you may have a few more units than are strictly necessary
formers just toodling around on Chairman Yang's Exo-Autobahn

yeah i'm gonna reassign two formers to my new base once it's built which will hopefully alleviate the support situation

also thanks friend

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

when i was rooting through the archives of one of the original SMAC sites i found examples of the pre-alpha layout and art and i thought they had a cool aesthetic

looks like the meeting to decide what a jet fighter should look like in the future happened fairly early in the design process

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

when i was rooting through the archives of one of the original SMAC sites i found examples of the pre-alpha layout and art and i thought they had a cool aesthetic

looks like the meeting to decide what a jet fighter should look like in the future happened fairly early in the design process

cool as gently caress.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

god drat i wonder if those assetts are floating around anywhere? should be able to drop-in most of them

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

god drat i wonder if those assetts are floating around anywhere? should be able to drop-in most of them

i don't think those particular sprites are in the assets bundled with the game

though there are some other unusual things in there, such as: brian reynolds, faction leader

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

i don't think those particular sprites are in the assets bundled with the game

though there are some other unusual things in there, such as: brian reynolds, faction leader

It's from the faction editor thing that was including in SMAX. It's basically a demo of how to create your own custom faction including art assets, since good game designers actually care about such things. Same reason the world-editor exists in Civ4 (and SMAC).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sorry ya'll i've been sluggin it with the save, just sent it on earlier tonight.

current status: psych is low low low across the board. got a talent enabled at both my bases however in doing so my HQ has no minerals for production and my second base has no nutrients for growth. hurried rec commons at my second base to try and alleviate things there and will hopefully free up support at my HQ once my third base is deployed (colony pods are slow, especially over the dodgy terrain i'm in).

how's everyone else doing though? lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

pod results: not worms!

i spend my windfall on rushing laser skimship #3 (the SS Herring), as well as throwing Gaian colony administration into utter disarray by adopting a Democratic system of government. the most immediate results are that i lose 1 mineral each from New Humboldt and BbD (since those are the only bases supporting 2 or more units) and that my estimated base growth times are reduced by 20%, which will start making a noticeable difference in about 6 turns. the efficiency gains won't have an effect for a while because my total base count is pretty small.

incidentally, thanks to recent entirely unrelated population growth, lady deirdre has made it onto the leaderboard!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I officially met a spartan unit on my turn. I have a buggy literally doing donuts all over their turf

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what happens when you find a spartan in the alps

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El_Elegante posted:

what happens when you find a spartan in the alps

lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drat glorg you're killing it. i guess sagebrush's extreme under-management of their colony has worked in your advantage!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I'll be traveling for the next 2 weeks with bad internet access. I'll try not to be too disruptive to our blisteringly fast pace but sorry in advance.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

drat glorg you're killing it. i guess sagebrush's extreme under-management of their colony has worked in your advantage!

based on the military records I think that Sagebrush's starting colony pod got murdered by a worm which is a super frustrating thing to deal with right at the start

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorgnole posted:

based on the military records I think that Sagebrush's starting colony pod got murdered by a worm which is a super frustrating thing to deal with right at the start

I had the same issue

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

did we make the goals set last year?

also p impressed this is all going so smoothly

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

did we make the goals set last year?

also p impressed this is all going so smoothly

i think the goal was planetary election before turn 40 which we did

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

so this is the first time i've been able to get internet access in like a week, and i don't have a computer on which to run the game. i'll be all back to normal on january 8. i should have suggested this before i left but if someone else would like to take this turn (possibly Sagebrush?) send me an email. thank you / sorry for bringing things to a grinding halt.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

don't sweat it mate. since you took over things have been moving at a blistering pace!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
install smac on the cyber cafe computer

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

tons of fun getting this screen and then trying to reconstruct what happened

looks like my spore launcher got schwacked somehow? i think that means that the fungal tower has produced a worm, which is really uncool. i sent my rover down towards Ligma Falls to defend. i'm not 100% sure how i'll clear out the tower. maybe a reasonable solution is to clear out one of the adjacent tiles of fungus and plant a forest there to make sure it stays clear, which should stop it from spawning worms.

i found a unity pod over to the east but i'm going to wait until next turn to crack it open.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Glorgnole posted:

Ligma Falls

This makes me smile every time I see it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just sent on the save, apologies for the delay. i've got my colony pod in-place to establish my third base next turn which i'll be naming "Severe Punishment" to follow the Wu-Tang theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXdboYQio58

here's the current situation re faction dominance:

ranking:
  1. Spartans
  2. University
  3. Believers
  4. Gaians
  5. Hive
  6. Drones
  7. Pirates

Spartans have a pretty hefty lead however the gap between Believers/Gaians and Drones/Pirates is razor-thin. also i've dropped from 3rd to 5th :lol:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

all three of my foils are positioned to open up unity pods next turn: the excitement is palpable over at gaian HQ.

one of the pods opened this turn contained sonar data on the eastern sea (it's all relative -- it's someone else's western sea), which is shaping up to be unusually rich in energy.

meanwhile back at the ranch, bases are slowly growing and build queues are ticking down. the recon rover will proactively whack worms so the lone unity rover doesn't have to singlehandedly cover so much territory.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

the last planetary council election was held in 2137 and the current year is 2157, which means that the 20-year timer on planetary governor elections expires imminently. i propose that we elect a new governor, for the following reasons:
- the bonus commerce income is significant, and could be destabilizing if one faction has exclusive access for a long time.
- awarding one of the lower-ranked factions governorship is a good way to keep the playing field level-ish as the mission progresses.
- someone else should get a chance to take a look at that sweet global infiltrator data.

with this in mind, i will call an election at the next opportunity, and i will endorse the Pirates (forums poster Smoka), the Drones (forums poster Improbable Lobster), or the Hive (forums poster Pile of Garbage).

worth noting that anthonypants, a.k.a Colonel Santiago of the Spartans, has been banned from the forums thanks to a dubious election toxx, so special comms arrangements will be needed for electioneering shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
rip in peas anthonypants