Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

That’s it? I’m sure there’s more to the story of this happy trip

yeah it's way more now, it's like 10 of the best things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any way to stop tabelog from redirecting you forcibly to the english version if you're browsing from outside of Japan?

Like I want to check out this restaurant: https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1317/A131702/13150448/ even if i click the nihongo button at the top it just goes back to the English version. It sucks because the English version usually doesn't have important information like what's on the menu and reviews and stuff, it's really annoying and makes the website pretty much nonfunctional. Forced localization is so annoying.

e: nevermind it seems to be working now that I logged in and ctrl+f5'ed the page

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 2, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe lol

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Google Maps probably just doesn't have the information from JAL (and has periodically been poo poo at booking domestic Japanese flights).

Are you looking at the JAL domestic (Japan) website? I see connecting tickets there.

If you are booking by Explorer Pass, then that will have to be done by segment.

Turns out it was the "can't use the internet and needs and adult," option. I was able to get that sorted out and got a flight purchased on the domestic side of the site.

Anyone stay at a temple on Mt Koya? Any recommendations on which temple to stay at?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We stayed at Saizenin. Great food, a small onsen, and a buddhist ceremony if you choose to attend.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I stayed at Ekoin. They have an english tour of oku-no-in at night, a meditation lesson, you can watch a fire ritual, and you can copy out the heart sutra in Japanese. All totally optional, all free or cheap.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I stayed at Eko-in too. There's a night-time tour of the cemetary that was unfortunately cancelled due to the weather, but I hear it's really good. The monks were super friendly! One of them told us that before becoming a monk, he would eat practically half of all the takoyaki in Osaka and that we have to eat some next time we're there.

edit: Also pretty sure he called himself "Elvis" - I saw him walking through the town on the day we were leaving with a Snoopy backpack.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 5, 2018

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Why eat takoyaki when you can eat kushikatsu.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Why eat kushikatsu when you can have Hub ale and pizza?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had Hub haggis once.

It was bad, but I was also disappointed it wasn't worse.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Aredna posted:

Why eat kushikatsu when you can have Hub ale and pizza?

Noob mistake. It’s tarantulas and pizza.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friends,

I am thinking about visiting Tokyo next spring. There are direct flights that are quite cheap right now to HND. I have never been to an Asian country and had a few questions:

1) Do you know when the cherry blossom stuff will peak in Tokyo? Is it late March?

2) How many days would you recommend for a trip? I need to do at least eight for the sale prices. I'm thinking 8-11 right now.

3) What would you recommend for visiting outside of the city besides Mt. Fuji? Both for days trips and for other cities via the bullet train or whatnot.

4) Also speaking of the bullet train how smooth is it? I've had bad experiences on some European trains. Not the Spanish or French ones, but some of the Italian tilting trains.

5) For hotels, do I just want to look for something within walking distance of the Yamanote line? That seems to be the best way to get around to all the major spots. I attached an image I saw on the airport website. I'd say my budget is up to 100-110 USD a night.

6) Is it difficult being a vegetarian? I'm fine having fish when I'm there if necessary, but only if it's cooked probably.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

actionjackson posted:

2) How many days would you recommend for a trip? I need to do at least eight for the sale prices. I'm thinking 8-11 right now.

As many as you can. Don't overplan. Tokyo and its immediate environs can easily fill eight days. 11 you could do the standard first time Tokyo/Kyoto trip.

actionjackson posted:

4) Also speaking of the bullet train how smooth is it? I've had bad experiences on some European trains. Not the Spanish or French ones, but some of the Italian tilting trains.

You have no idea that you're in motion past the initial acceleration. It's very nice. Also expensive, unless you're going at least as far as Kyoto there's not much point.

actionjackson posted:

5) For hotels, do I just want to look for something within walking distance of the Yamanote line? That seems to be the best way to get around to all the major spots. I attached an image I saw on the airport website. I'd say my budget is up to 100-110 USD a night.

Near any Yamanote station is good. For that budget range you should be able to find Toyoko Inn rooms. It's a no frills, consistently decent hotel chain. Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Asakusa (Ueno station) are popular areas to stay. I would personally go with Ueno or Ikebukuro.

actionjackson posted:

6) Is it difficult being a vegetarian? I'm fine having fish when I'm there if necessary, but only if it's cooked probably.

If you're willing to do fish while you're there you won't have anything to worry about. You should try some sashimi and see if you like it, though! Tuna and salmon are good entry points. Vinegared mackerel is also great for something a little different.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage already covered everything very well, but comparing Italian trains to Japan...oh you’re in for a treat here. The train service is so good.

Don’t worry too much about booking everyday full of tours, Tokyo is incredibly walkable and late March is usually great weather punctuated with occasional rain. Even then, there’s plenty to do, just depends on your interests.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Other great value for price hotels that I've stayed at are Dormy Inn and Super Hotel. You can usually find deals for $100-150 per if you book early enough.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Airbnb in Shibuya is the pro budget move.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

APA Asakusabashi was pretty cheap and included breakfast.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, avoid APA if you can

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nah, APA is great, there's a new just opened in Kanda right next to a badass ramen shop too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kanda seemed like a cool area. I drank a lot of beers there while walking back to where I was staying.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kanda is today what Shimbashi was around 8-10 years ago. That is to say, a really awesome salaryman hangout.
Also I like Dormy Inn because they almost always have onsen. On the other hand I like APA since they are everywhere, cheap enough, and have pretty liberal cancel policies.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Kanda is today what Shimbashi was around 8-10 years ago. That is to say, a really awesome salaryman hangout.
Also I like Dormy Inn because they almost always have onsen. On the other hand I like APA since they are everywhere, cheap enough, and have pretty liberal cancel policies.

That’s just about the only thing they liberal on :v:

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
APA is super cramped and there are other good options at the same price

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's worth just an Agoda search or something too, I stayed in a pretty nice non-chain? hotel in Okayama because it was actually the cheapest option I could find.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone know what the gay scene is like in Osaka? I'm thinking of picking up some twinks in April and I'm curious whats the best way to do it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Archer666 posted:

Does anyone know what the gay scene is like in Osaka? I'm thinking of picking up some twinks in April and I'm curious whats the best way to do it.

Tip every waiter until one fucks you, that's what I do

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So apparently Explosion still exists
Osaka is so gnarly for drinking, food is basically all bar/street food though

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Any idea how the abdication coronation is going to affect Golden Week? I imagine traveling in Tokyo is going to be a nightmare, but how might it affect other parts of the country?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

GW in 2019 is 10 days straight for most people, my guess is most people will try and leave Japan. The chparade isn't until October anyway.

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
I'm doing Osaka-Kyoto from 12/28-01/03, is there somewhere in Osaka airport I can grab a wifi egg? Last time I went to Japan I wandered around Fukuoka without one and got lost a lot.

Also, how vegetarian-friendly is Kyoto? I'll mostly be staying there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Klook is your friend. Please use my referral code, it’s cheaper.

Hey! I've just given you HK$ 25.0 OFF for your first activity on Klook. Just sign up through my link below: https://www.klook.com/invite/9SGAS?c=HKD

WiFi egg rental

NRT/HND/KIX/NGO/CTS/OKA pick up for 7GB of data https://www.klook.com/activity/1318

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Looks sold out for when I arrive, thanks though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you don’t get one 7-11 Lawson’s and Fukuoka in general just has free WiFi, it’s not the fastest WiFi in the world but it’s pretty much everywhere

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Make sure to check before you go if you're going to depend on free wifi, a lot of Japanese ones require you to sign up for an account and access the details via email because Japan, so if you didn't already do that welp.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've used both Japan Wireless and Pupuru and at least one of these guys should have stuff available for you. Shouldn't really be a problem in getting one of these.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sale on Banksy art posted:

You will be the top headline for weeks after you visit. Everyone in Japan will be thinking about you for months, if not years, after your visit. You are very, very special.

Grand Fromage posted:

Any living being will. Even inanimate objects like roads and restaurant displays cannot withstand Japanese summer.

caberham posted:

Why do people think they are some unique snowflake all the time?

We only talk to you because you paid 10 bucks for some Internet forum

Saeku posted:

I went to Japan with my friend who's a butch, broad, tall (cis) woman and she got harassed and glared at in washrooms, somebody actually in broken English told her she needed to leave and wasn't welcome. My friend responded by grabbing her own chest to "demonstrate" and the woman was mortified and apologised. (The worst was in rural areas but there was a bit in Tokyo too.) I speak Japanese a bit so I could hear people talking about her... nothing derogatory, actually, but kids and teens were saying stuff like "Is that foreigner a woman?" or "wow, she's tall!" or "look, it's a woman with a shaved head!"

She was like "is this how it's like to be trans?" and I'm like, "Basically. Try unisex washrooms."

A lot of interesting people in Tokyo dug her style, though!

:waycool: All I needed to know, thanks. I’m sure my trans status would go over well too.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 27, 2018

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
How are Boeing 777s compared to 787s? I'm 5'8", maybe 5'9" and my wife is at most 5'2", so neither of us is huge. Is the main difference between a 777 and 787 an inch or two of leg room? I guess it doesn't really matter because only the very most expensive flights are on 787s.

I should've jumped on the JAL flights I saw a while ago. They're up from like $900+ to $2000+.

ANA's are around the $1200 range. Should I wait to see if the prices go down? Our trip isn't until October.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Prices will drop mid January.

You’ll be fine on either plane, the 787s on average have a tighter seat pitch, but the Japanese carriers aren’t sadists and usually have an extra inch or two compared to their American counterparts.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

:waycool: All I needed to know, thanks. I’m sure my trans status would go over well too.

What is the point here? A Japanese woman who thinks a man is in a ladies toilet tells a man to gtfo. You think this wouldn't happen in America?

If you're trans and passing, perhaps you should apologize to your friend for every poo poo you take without being harrassed.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Phone posted:

Prices will drop mid January.

So I should wait to grab my tickets for next November then? It's $700-900 right now so I was gonna spring, but if they'll get cheaper...