Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I can’t believe this needs to be said but I have kids and yeah the play with toys and want you to buy expensive branded ones still

This will not end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

UmOk posted:

Do kids even buy toys anymore?

Hard to say but adults most certainly do, and I am not ashamed of it!

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Transformers film currently has a 98% RT score with 40+ reviews in.

What in the gently caress

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I can’t believe this needs to be said but I have kids and yeah the play with toys and want you to buy expensive branded ones still

This will not end

I have a kid and the only toys that interested them were video games and ipads. By toys I was talking about traditional stuff like action figures and dolls.

It's very possible my kid is just weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The current mainline TF toys are definitely aimed at adults who remember their childhoods being not terrible but they actually were.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Slutitution posted:

It's because it's exactly the kind of means-tested, feel-good garbage that critics prefer over the exceptionally mean-spirited trash of Bay's aesthetic, even if nobody can actually say that it's better written, acted, or shot in any way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

K. Waste posted:

It's because it's exactly the kind of means-tested, feel-good garbage that critics prefer over the exceptionally mean-spirited trash of Bay's aesthetic, even if nobody can actually say that it's better written, acted, or shot in any way.

Yeah, a lot of the positive reviews say some combo of: Hooray, Bay is gone, it feels like G1, it has heart, it's the film we always deserved, it's respectful to the franchise...

I'm seeing in a few hours. For some reason, it seems to have been released a week early in Australia before the release date on all the websites and posters. :shrug:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

K. Waste posted:

Having action scenes where the participants are visually distinct and easy to track seems like a significant step up in at least one department, even if the movie itself was derivative of every Spielberg ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The current mainline TF toys are definitely aimed at adults who remember their childhoods being not terrible but they actually were.

I said this in the Transformers thread, but I say it again: while I like these new toys for being well-designed, I am disappointed that they did not go far enough with their G1 prequel aesthetics. For example, this is the new Optimus Prime toy.

It looks too much like an Earth truck with some addons to the roof. The previous Cybetronian Optimus look like this:

Still recognizable as Optimus, but it looks a bit more alien and futuristic. You can guess it's a truck of some sort, but also it's not an Earth vehicle (except maybe in 20 years because I saw concept of trucks that look like that).

They did give Starscream a design similar to what you see in the first episode of the cartoon, and also the Cybertron scenes in Bumblebee.

I think the toyline is stuck having to be both a G1 throwback nostalgia bait, but also a pre-Earth prequel.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DoctorWhat posted:

Having action scenes where the participants are visually distinct and easy to track seems like a significant step up in at least one department, even if the movie itself was derivative of every Spielberg ever.

The robots in the transformers films have always been visually distinct. Especially in the case of the autobots, their color-coding and theming is radically different, but they also vary significantly in size, armor, and weaponry. But what's more important than the superficial ability to assign the identity of a character is how that identity expresses themes within a narrative.

So, for instance, while there are plenty of differences between Starscream and Megatron, the extent to which the former often seems like a smaller version of the latter is appropriate, given that the former is a sycophant who is constantly debasing himself or, alternatively, posturing to take the place of his leader. Contrast this with the Helicopter-con in this sequence, who towers over both of them, but who Optimus dispatches easily. The line here is also illustrative of character: This brawler who Optimus just killed is a "piece of tin" compared to his comrades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2MlyZfqT24

Consistent with this, we can look at this highway chase in Dark of the Moon, in which we have three visually indistinct antagonists, but where their indistinctness has a narrative function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLk_txo4sYc

Bay's action sequences are routinely criticized, but in reality, in the first three movies at least, there's an even rather laborious, plodding feeling to them. Again, part of this is motivated by what kinds of characters he's depicting. The autobots move very heavily and awkwardly, thundering around in (relatively) long, wide, and panoramic shots. Humans, on the other hand, scurry about much more frantically, and the style of shooting and editing complements this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMo_Jx35SZw

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Transformers are insane god-barbarians and people are vermin.

e: I still love the way Dark of the Moon has Optimus Prime tell the audience, directly, without prevarication, that he let Chicago be destroyed so the humans would understand he was necessary.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The film is a flat reboot in disguise. It's incompatible with the previous films in pretty major ways -- Optimus and about seven other Autobots are already on Earth, Optimus explicitly sent Bee to Earth to protect it along with the humans, Shatter and her lieutenant are the first robots encountered by the US according to Sector 7, and is basically a remake of the first film. It's not horrible and I'd say it's better than the Marvel stuff I've seen recently, but it is getting positive reviews because this is the film people surely imagined they were getting when the first Transformers film was announced, especially given how much it borrows. It includes a lot of the stuff the first films were supposedly disliked for, such as wacky parent hijinks, but I have a feeling they'll escape comment this time around.

If this film does well, it will almost surely be the start of a new 'fan-friendly' Transformers cinematic universe. If it doesn't, it will remain a prequel. That's probably one of the big weaknesses of the film, that it sits in both of those spaces simultaneously. It also really invokes things from the previous films -- the score, while by a new composer, uses a lot of familiar bits from Jablonsky's scores.

The action lacks the insane limb-ripping murderous spectacle, of course.

Not horrible, not great -- it's basically what you'd expect. I think it could do really well but I wonder if franchise fatigue may hold it back. To quote George Lucas, it's the film fans want.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 15, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The film is a flat reboot in disguise. It's incompatible with the previous films in pretty major ways -- Optimus and about seven other Autobots are already on Earth, Optimus explicitly sent Bee to Earth to protect it along with the humans, Shatter and her lieutenant are the first robots encountered by the US according to Sector 7, and is basically a remake of the first film. It's not horrible and I'd say it's better than the Marvel stuff I've seen recently, but it is getting positive reviews because this is the film people surely imagined they were getting when the first Transformers film was announced, especially given how much it borrows. It includes a lot of the stuff the first films were supposedly disliked for, such as wacky parent hijinks, but I have a feeling they'll escape comment this time around.

If this film does well, it will almost surely be the start of a new 'fan-friendly' Transformers cinematic universe. If it doesn't, it will remain a prequel. That's probably one of the big weaknesses of the film, that it sits in both of those spaces simultaneously. It also really invokes things from the previous films -- the score, while by a new composer, uses a lot of familiar bits from Jablonsky's scores.

Not horrible, not great -- it's basically what you'd expect. I think it could do really well but I wonder if franchise fatigue may hold it back. To quote George Lucas, it's the film fans want.

why does sector 7 even exist if these are the first robots ever encountered? Is megatron in it or mentioned at all?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

why does sector 7 even exist if these are the first robots ever encountered? Is megatron in it or mentioned at all?

No. Megatron is not mentioned at all nor is he seen in any of the Cybertron sequences. This is one of the things about the film that, here and there, feel like the film had to be a prequel (so it can be written off if it fails) or the start of a new movie franchise (if it succeeds.)

As for why Sector 7 exists, it's because - like Bumblebee's lack of voice - they're a Transformers thing. A young Simmons is seen.

Also, the Decepticons gave us the Internet. And the new Decepticons are pretty fun. I think it's telling that Shatter isn't seen dying because she's neat and I bet Hasbro would bring her back if there's a sequel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The film is a flat reboot in disguise. It's incompatible with the previous films in pretty major ways --

Yeah, but so is every other transformer movie.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I mean, the biggest giveaway is by far the "it has heart" style comments.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:negative:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Any Bumblebee that doesn't rip out a cat's spine and use it to whip another robot is not my Bumblebee.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Those new toys actually look pretty dope

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Slutitution posted:

Not My Transformers

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

K. Waste posted:

What does it say about our culture when "professional film critics" give a dull and stale sequel/prequel positive reviews just to spite the director of the previous ones? I'd rather watch films made by bad auteurs 100% of the time than market-researched trash pushed out by a team of corporate executives at this point.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

What does it say about our culture when "professional film critics" give a dull and stale sequel/prequel positive reviews just to spite the director of the previous ones? I'd rather watch films made by bad auteurs 100% of the time than market-researched trash pushed out by a team of corporate executives at this point.

On the other hand, Travis Knight fits most people's definition of a good auteur, I'd figure. Like, they didn't really do what you're saying, they just passed it to another auteur when the first one got bored of the IP and this time it's one who isn't as divisive.

e: Like, half the reason I'm interested in this is because it's done by the loving Laika guy, that's honestly a little nuts.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On the other hand, Travis Knight fits most people's definition of a good auteur, I'd figure. Like, they didn't really do what you're saying, they just passed it to another auteur when the first one got bored of the IP and this time it's one who isn't as divisive.

e: Like, half the reason I'm interested in this is because it's done by the loving Laika guy, that's honestly a little nuts.

Kinda proving the rule, here. Travis Knight has only directed one pretty good movie. Both of Laika's most popular films, while produced and lead animated by him, were written and directed by other filmmakers. Travis Knight is not in any sense an established auteur, he has no identifiable style. He's not even in the same ballpark as, say, Brad Bird, which Bumblebee is very clearly aping. Rather, he is simply a brand, synonymous with Laika because it's his company, even though he's only ever been just one part of its overall creative contribution and output. And even that's not saying much: Each Laika movie has been less exceptional than the last, with Boxtrolls being downright mediocre.

Which is all to say, yes, modern film culture is exactly as cynical as Hollywood. On paper, the elevation of this son of privilege to blockbuster captain shouldn't mean anything to anyone. If anything, it's merely illustrative of the sheer incestuousness of a commercial industry that folks were perfectly fine lambasting when they could put Michael Bay's smug face to it. But like Hollywood, modern film criticism and fandom are just vehicles of consumption, existing only to perpetuate themselves. There is no authentic concern with artistic merit.

Slutitution posted:

The short of it is that the vast majority of film critics have always had very bad taste.

The long of it, though, is that there are actually very few film critics outside the rather insular culture of academia. The majority of those who write about film for a popular audience see their jobs as being to narrowly explain whether they liked something or not. Criticism, on the other hand, while certainly biased by tastes, necessarily involves justifying how the reader can use popular arts as a lens for understanding the world in which they live. It treats superficial pleasure in the arts as secondary to its utility in promoting critical thinking and raising the consciousness of audiences.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is it too late to the party if I say now that I thoroughly enjoyed last knight

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It's the closest to Revenge of the Fallen just in terms of sheer insanity, I dug it. Better than Age of Extinction, definitely

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Optimus howling 'I'll kill you' at God is the climax this series deserved.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calaveron posted:

Is it too late to the party if I say now that I thoroughly enjoyed last knight

It needed more Quintessa IMO.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

It's the closest to Revenge of the Fallen just in terms of sheer insanity, I dug it. Better than Age of Extinction, definitely

Revenge of the Fallen was bad but I didn’t think it was as bad as the internet thinks it is, Dark Side of the moon is the one that would make me rather watch a snuff film rather than rewatching it. Age of Extinction is carried entirely by having Frasier Crane as the villain and even then the final sequence in China is a lot of fun

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Calaveron posted:

Revenge of the Fallen was bad but I didn’t think it was as bad as the internet thinks it is, Dark Side of the moon is the one that would make me rather watch a snuff film rather than rewatching it. Age of Extinction is carried entirely by having Frasier Crane as the villain and even then the final sequence in China is a lot of fun

I mean, none of the Transformers movies are bad, they're just straight trash. So it's only a question of how far you're willing to push just the nihilistic fever-dream of it all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To enjoy the Treansformers movies you really need to embrace that nihilistic hatre of humanity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoE is a masterpiece.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Revenge of the Fallen does have that forest fight sequence.

I didn't particularly like The Last Knight that much, but that climactic sequence is just one of the most ambitious things put to film. Planets crashing into each other, fighter jets, giant robots, gravity shifting about... Incredible.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dark of the Moon is less enjoyable than Revenge of the Fallen.

Age of Extinction is less enjoyable than The Last Knight.

DotM and AoE are the least enjoyable entries in the Bayformers series of film. But which of them is less enjoyable?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

AoE, definitely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammer, John Goodman, Titus Weliver.

It's a goddamned delight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AoE is just painful to watch. It has like 5 acts and never ends.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything past the 2nd is a sleight against god himself. Any sick joy you can get out of it is like laughing at a car crash. Transformer crash in this case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darko posted:

AoE is just painful to watch. It has like 5 acts and never ends.

They cut out over half an hour dealing with a romantic subplot between Cade and Darcy.

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LONGER AND IT'S ALREADY GLORIOUSLY PERFECT

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I rate them on a scale of how psycho Optimus acts so from the ones I've seen: 3 > 4 > 2
Haven't seen TLK yet and 1 is a sorta decent movie boy and his car movie under it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TLK is when the manipulative sociopath Prime from DotM has been turned on by humans and hunted by his creator's agents, flips out and tries to murder god, fails, and comes back to earth as an avenging angel of cyber-genocide.