Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just realized that in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Val Kilmer’s character named Gay Perry is a pun. Gay Paree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That movie is so great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rewatching DREDD, and noticed that at the end of the film, the last time Dredd speaks to Anderson, he calls her by her name instead of "Rookie". So he had already decided she passed before the Chief Judge asked him, and he saw her as an equal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Davros1 posted:

Rewatching DREDD, and noticed that at the end of the film, the last time Dredd speaks to Anderson, he calls her by her name instead of "Rookie". So he had already decided she passed before the Chief Judge asked him, and he saw her as an equal.

I don't know if I'm hearing things or not, but when Dredd (at the end)throws Mama out the window, the soundtrack sounds like something else - what she is hearing while under the effects of Slomo. He asks her a question before throwing her through the glass: "How do you plead?" The sound as she falls sounds remarkably like a word, slowed down so that it lasts a minute rather than a second: Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil-tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy She sounds like had the last word, one last gently caress you to the Judge.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Another thing I noticed is when Dredd and Anderson arrive in Peach Trees, Anderson surmises that the three murders are a punishment killing, and are meant to send a message. Later, moments after the gatling gun scene, Dredd hurls her second in command to his death, right before her eyes. Also a punishment killing, and sending a message. (I also love how Dredd totally refuses to acknowledge her in that shot).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know if I'm hearing things or not, but when Dredd (at the end)throws Mama out the window, the soundtrack sounds like something else - what she is hearing while under the effects of Slomo. He asks her a question before throwing her through the glass: "How do you plead?" The sound as she falls sounds remarkably like a word, slowed down so that it lasts a minute rather than a second: Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil-tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy She sounds like had the last word, one last gently caress you to the Judge.

No, no. It’s Justin Bieber. This has been confirmed.

Somewhat kidding. Justin Bieber slowed down by 800% was the inspiration for the composer and the placeholder track.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Watching it now, can't say I can make it out, but Dredd still gets the last word.

"Yeah."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It may just be that thing where the brain finds patterns where there are none. I've always assumed I'm just hearing things there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mierenneuker posted:

No, no. It’s Justin Bieber. This has been confirmed.

Somewhat kidding. Justin Bieber slowed down by 800% was the inspiration for the composer and the placeholder track.

Here’s the Bieber version for those who are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M
Here’s where it gets really neat though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItOSsolA7uc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really wish Dredd had gotten a sequel. Karl Urban wants to make another Dredd film hut nobody wants to front the cash.

I love how down to earth it is for a movie set in a futuristic mega city. Dredd and the first two RoboCop films are loving awesome specifically because they tell a story first and use the setting to inform it. Too many science fiction and fantasy properties try to make the setting the story, rather than putting the story in the setting. Having a well thought out universe is great but it often feels like creators want to level the fate of the setting as the stakes. So something like Mass Effect or Harry Potter can only exist within the central story, because the conclusions are predicated on these massive paradigm shifts that would make any other story being told in the franchise feel extraneous, or somehow needing to connect to the main narrative somehow.

But not Dredd. Dredd isn't about saving the world. it's about a day in the life of a grumpy judge in a world that won't change overnight just because the right person received judgement.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Dredd is a great film. One of the subtler moments in it is when the hacker guy is listening to the theme tune from Snuff Box with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ssRbyWqHmg

Snuff Box is a supremely dark and funny sketch comedy show which y'all should watch if you haven't already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJe2ztE41s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I feel like I'm fairly open to a lot of sketch shows/sketch show humour, I actually love the self-contained nature of it, and appreciate absurdity and surreal jokes, but gently caress Snuff Box six ways from Sunday. I have tried about 6 or 7 different times to give it a chance and every single time, I think I end up disliking it more.

The only skit of theirs I've even come close to liking was the one where the guy helps out these women, but completely changes his mind when he finds out they aren't single.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really wish Dredd had gotten a sequel. Karl Urban wants to make another Dredd film hut nobody wants to front the cash.

I love how down to earth it is for a movie set in a futuristic mega city. Dredd and the first two RoboCop films are loving awesome specifically because they tell a story first and use the setting to inform it. Too many science fiction and fantasy properties try to make the setting the story, rather than putting the story in the setting. Having a well thought out universe is great but it often feels like creators want to level the fate of the setting as the stakes. So something like Mass Effect or Harry Potter can only exist within the central story, because the conclusions are predicated on these massive paradigm shifts that would make any other story being told in the franchise feel extraneous, or somehow needing to connect to the main narrative somehow.

But not Dredd. Dredd isn't about saving the world. it's about a day in the life of a grumpy judge in a world that won't change overnight just because the right person received judgement.

Yep, it came out just a bit too early to have been a streaming hit and the advertising campaign did nothing to portray the genius of it; people basically just thought it was a generic 3D-cash in, and unfortunately the word-of-mouth didn't get enough asses in seats. By the time there were a ton of people saying "That was loving awesome" it left theaters.

It would have cleaned up if people were able to watch it instantly online. Had it premiered on Netflix/Amazon we'd probably have a series of it.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I haven't seen it in probably 15 years, but in the 90's stallone judge dredd, there is a scene where dredd is getting screamed at by his boss, and his boss has a visible booger in his nose that flips around with every word screamed. I had a movie night in highschool and we watched it, and we probably rewound that scene 10 times, just crying with laughter.

I never watched the new dredd because I knew it would never compare.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bell jar posted:

Dredd is a great film. One of the subtler moments in it is when the hacker guy is listening to the theme tune from Snuff Box with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher.

I love when Dredd hacks into the speaker system, and the moment he says "This is Judge Dredd" the hacker turns to Ma-Ma, terrified. It's revealed that she doesn't know who Dredd is, but that hacker is making GBS threads himself.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I need to rewatch that movie. It was amazing.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Davros1 posted:

I love when Dredd hacks into the speaker system, and the moment he says "This is Judge Dredd" the hacker turns to Ma-Ma, terrified. It's revealed that she doesn't know who Dredd is, but that hacker is making GBS threads himself.

And I love that Hacker is Domhnall Gleeson, who does an awesome job of playing that part. Also Hacker’s eyes are prosthetic and enhanced. You can see the apertures moving in them in some shots.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

And I love that Hacker is Domhnall Gleeson, who does an awesome job of playing that part. Also Hacker’s eyes are prosthetic and enhanced. You can see the apertures moving in them in some shots.

And there's the flashback of Ma-Ma taking out his eyes with her thumbs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Subtle movie moment: MaMa is played by Lena Headey and has scars on her face.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Lena Headey forgot how to read for that part, I heard.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Davros1 posted:

And there's the flashback of Ma-Ma taking out his eyes with her thumbs.

Yes but the apertures are a nice subtle touch

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Terminator 2 last night and even though I’ve seen it maybe 10 times since it was in theaters this was the first time I noticed when the T-1000 is flying the helicopter he grows a third arm so he can man the controls and shoot at Sarah Connor at the same time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m watching Krampus again and I just noticed the mom (Toni Collette) is wearing a Star of David pin on her sweater

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tumble posted:

Yep, it came out just a bit too early to have been a streaming hit and the advertising campaign did nothing to portray the genius of it; people basically just thought it was a generic 3D-cash in, and unfortunately the word-of-mouth didn't get enough asses in seats. By the time there were a ton of people saying "That was loving awesome" it left theaters.

It would have cleaned up if people were able to watch it instantly online. Had it premiered on Netflix/Amazon we'd probably have a series of it.

We are getting a series of it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Jedit posted:

We are getting a series of it.

:holymoley: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a837878/judge-dredd-tv-mega-city-one-karl-urban-plot-netflix-release-date/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if someone can convince Netflix to bring Pushing Daisies back. Like who do I have to gently caress to make that happen?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Long story short: Its happening, it might or might not have Urban back as dredd (he'll come back if he likes the scripts and they can make scheduling work), it doesnt have a home on a streaming service yet (but will probably get one) and doesnt have a release date yet. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad its happening, but I refuse to get truly hype about it until I have at least one of those details confirmed...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I wonder if someone can convince Netflix to bring Pushing Daisies back. Like who do I have to gently caress to make that happen?

Can we restart the timeline to where Pushing Daisies was the Dead Like Me sister show it was planned as?

Also a timeline where Dead Like Me didn't end and get that follow up movie that was just bad?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Can we restart the timeline to where Pushing Daisies was the Dead Like Me sister show it was planned as?

Also a timeline where Dead Like Me didn't end and get that follow up movie that was just bad?

The one where the star didn't kill someone

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FilmEasterEggs/status/1074385389035507712

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

syscall girl posted:

The one where the star didn't kill someone

Who's this now?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

I haven't seen it in probably 15 years, but in the 90's stallone judge dredd, there is a scene where dredd is getting screamed at by his boss, and his boss has a visible booger in his nose that flips around with every word screamed. I had a movie night in highschool and we watched it, and we probably rewound that scene 10 times, just crying with laughter.

I never watched the new dredd because I knew it would never compare.

The newer Dredd movie does a good job adapting different aspects of the same comic in a way that doesn't negate the old Stallone movie, you should still watch it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I thought was kind of neat about Into the Spiderverse is how there's a scene where Miles is reading an in universe Spider-Man comic to try and understand his powers and you see a glimpse of a thought bubble from Spidey calling himself "Billy." Because of course the comic wouldn't know his real name.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I noticed that "Billy" thing too. It's an amazing little detail.

Old Dredd was cheesy goofy fun. New Dredd is brutal art. Watch them both.

Also, just a general heads-up that Into the Spiderverse has the greatest post credits sequence in film history.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In IASIP, "Mac and Charlie Die", the pawnshop owner that Mac and Charlie shop at is the host at the orgy that Frank and Dennis attend.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Twitch posted:

The newer Dredd movie does a good job adapting different aspects of the same comic in a way that doesn't negate the old Stallone movie, you should still watch it.

Does it keep the booger? It's really all I care about in the entire franchise. I saw the robocop and total recall reboots and hated them, and mentally filed dredd in the same category, and haven't thought about it again until this conversation thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Also, just a general heads-up that Into the Spiderverse has the greatest post credits sequence in film history.

This is extremely true.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dredd is as much a reboot of Judge Dredd as John Carpenter's The Thing was a reboot of The Thing From Another World.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Well this is naturally up on Youtube already so I looked it up and oh my loving god it's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Something I thought was kind of neat about Into the Spiderverse is how there's a scene where Miles is reading an in universe Spider-Man comic to try and understand his powers and you see a glimpse of a thought bubble from Spidey calling himself "Billy." Because of course the comic wouldn't know his real name.

Man, Into The Spider-Verse is chock full of subtle little movie moments. Like in the introduction for the first spidey he does the emo Tobey Maguire dance from Spiderman 3