Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand why the media continues to focus on the cost. Just because Trump won’t stop talking about it doesn’t mean it’s newsworthy.

They seem to be relying on the average Joe having no sense of scale in terms of money. "$25 million? Gee, that's a lot!" "$25 billion for the wall? Wow, so cheap!"

Mueller should be in charge of the budget, he's running that investigation so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
in my fanfic of a super commie Merica, we use sci notation and maybe SI units so the news can get the opportunity to say Gigadollar.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

InsertPotPun posted:

No no no!The Nazis WANT this! This attention means they're already winning! Look: one already got free coffee!

I'll probably give the next one I see a free sandwich, right in the face.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

in my fanfic of a super commie Merica, we use sci notation and maybe SI units so the news can get the opportunity to say Gigadollar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmSJXC6_qQ8

quote:

The US signed the metre convention and bases all customary units on SI standards. As an aside, the Utah constitution from 1895 required the metric system to be taught in schools. This requirement was repealed in 1987. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: tax.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 16, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

8/10, points off since the coffee wasn’t scalding

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Big Mean Jerk posted:

8/10, points off since the coffee wasn’t scalding

You dunk Nazis with the coffee you have, not the coffee you wish you had.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/EyesOnTheRight/status/1069340178312036353

Co-founder http://burnmorecoal.com . Trump EPA transition team. Eagle Scout. Biostatistician. Lawyer. Author. FOX News contributor.

Is that rear end in a top hat wearing tape over his mouth like it's a political statement?

Dude, all you have to do is be a human being and avoid letting racism slide out of that dumb trap and no one will give a poo poo what you say. Your little protest is doing more to hurt your cause than help it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was going on in early June 2014?

Obama

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I wish we had a better way of talking about budget numbers so people could actually wrap their minds around them. I've always though dividing it by the population might be a reasonable way to do it. So the Mueller investigation cost us all 8 cents (assuming you don't count the forfeitures), and the F-35 will cost everyone ~$4,600 for instance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Acinonyx posted:

I wish we had a better way of talking about budget numbers so people could actually wrap their minds around them. I've always though dividing it by the population might be a reasonable way to do it. So the Mueller investigation cost us all 8 cents (assuming you don't count the forfeitures), and the F-35 will cost everyone ~$4,600 for instance.
I have an easier way- the federal government budget is not the same as a goddamn family budget, Jesus loving Christ guys.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Party Plane Jones posted:

There is a pinned thread about it.

Finally got home, thanks.

That's what I get for just looking for this thread and drat the torpedoes

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1037482530675535873?s=21

Remember this stupid poo poo?

This was only 3 months ago.

This reminds me - was driving today and saw a guy in a shifty Chrysler minivan with a sticker that said "TRUMP THAT BITCH" and it made me think of that batshit crazy chud who sent fake bombs to everyone and made me wonder what ever happened with him.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1074166620988297216

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sticksy posted:

This reminds me - was driving today and saw a guy in a shifty Chrysler minivan with a sticker that said "TRUMP THAT BITCH" and it made me think of that batshit crazy chud who sent fake bombs to everyone and made me wonder what ever happened with him.

extremely arrested

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

sticksy posted:

Declined Chief of Staff.

(A minor point: I thought the bombs were real bombs. They just didn't work)

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Ague Proof posted:

Declined Chief of Staff.

(A minor point: I thought the bombs were real bombs. They just didn't work)

I mean, they were real. They contained explosive material and Caesar Sayoc intended for them to explode. He was just very bad at making bombs and they basically had no chance of working. Some people will take that they're duds to mean they're fakes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they're the good kind of dud in that they didnt go off and kill the maker.

oh bad depending on youre pov

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Dude, all you have to do is be a human being and avoid letting racism slide out of that dumb trap and no one will give a poo poo what you say. Your little protest is doing more to hurt your cause than help it.

Among the things I despise about these people, is the way they espouse racism and oppression as some immutable component of white identity. Like we cease to exist if we make an effort not to be bigoted assholes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Last time a Nazi showed up in Seattle he got knocked out with one punch. This guy got off easy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit Portland, why can’t you be more like Seattle

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Serfer posted:

I mean, they were real. They contained explosive material and Caesar Sayoc intended for them to explode. He was just very bad at making bombs and they basically had no chance of working. Some people will take that they're duds to mean they're fakes.

"I failed at bombs on purpose"

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Serfer posted:

Attempted murder. Did anyone ever get a Nobel prize for attempted chemistry?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

Is that rear end in a top hat wearing tape over his mouth like it's a political statement?

Nah, its even less subtle of a dogwhistle than you thought.

Older than WWII as it turns out.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I wonder how much more isolated than ever Trump will be next week.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CubanMissile posted:

More than ever! We'll see if it's isolated enough for yet another "Trump is Isolated" article.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Given the current state of affairs, I predict that by the end of the year scientists will be able to isolate the Trump molecule.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Toebone posted:

Given the current state of affairs, I predict that by the end of the year scientists will be able to isolate the Trump molecule.

This is building up to the worst super villain origin story ever. A scientist spills concentrated Trumpium. The next morning he wakes up orange with a bigly craving for diet coke.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

CubanMissile posted:

It fills me with joy that he’s going to be bored as gently caress and lonely during Christmas.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

Bonus points that even though the investigation has “cost” us $25 million, it has brought in about $46 million due to asset forfeitures. The Mueller investigation has a negative cost and paid more into government coffers than our president had.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

sticksy posted:

Don't worry since he's white he didn't get gunned down, just arrested

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Skippy McPants posted:

Among the things I despise about these people, is the way they espouse racism and oppression as some immutable component of white identity. Like we cease to exist if we make an effort not to be bigoted assholes.

Well, that's because they're bigoted assholes. They have no understanding otherwise.

What I don't get is why they're always so damned dumb and cause themselves more trouble. I mean I hate Trump, doesn't mean I go to work and tell everyone my opinion and make the job even shittier than it already is.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this part was discussed here or not, but there’s video of Mickey telling it like it is.

https://twitter.com/gma/status/1074290065663188992?s=21

Although I’m not sure this is an insult that Trump would actually care about, the media framing it as a question of loyalty is the perfect way to goad Trump into reacting.

Edit:

The Trump family real estate tax scam is now also a NYC Housing rent control scam.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1074291829988884480?s=21

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 16, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Acinonyx posted:

Again, even then, the Mueller investigation made us all about eight cents. It has made a profit. The whole "costs" framing is invalid.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

SocketWrench posted:

Well, that's because they're bigoted assholes. They have no understanding otherwise.

What I don't get is why they're always so damned dumb and cause themselves more trouble. I mean I hate Trump, doesn't mean I go to work and tell everyone my opinion and make the job even shittier than it already is.

I go in every day and scream my opinion. It’s almost unbelievable that I haven’t been fired yet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

At the end of the day the media, despite Trump calling them Enemies of the People and encouraging violence against them, consider him a profitable entity and so are willing to file off his rough edges and write bullshit headlines in his favor. This is addition to the inherent conservative bias of every major news organization (watch Jack Trapper and Chuck Todd make up lies to support Republicans or slander leftists ideas) or the straight up Nazis and white supremacists that infest the New York Times opinion section who genuinely love him.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Even if it didn't make money, maybe trust in the government and the rule of law are more important?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SocketWrench posted:

So if the goal is to hurt the cause of Nazis, then shouldn't we be encouraging them to express their views, since it hurts their cause?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

qkkl posted:

So if the goal is to hurt the cause of Nazis, then shouldn't we be encouraging them to express their views, since it hurts their cause?

It would be useful in that it would let people know who to punch, I guess

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Again, even then, the Mueller investigation made us all about eight cents. It has made a profit. The whole "costs" framing is invalid.

who cares? I hope it does cost 25 million dollars. The idea that basic functions of government need to be directly profitable is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Smeef posted:

It fills me with joy that he’s going to be bored as gently caress and lonely during Christmas.

What with his five children, nine grandchildren and supermodel wife. Poor lonely old man.